Fiat Coupe Club UK

Electronic Boost Controller - Questions

Posted By: Anonymous

Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 16:15

I just installed my HKS EVC V last night, and gave it a try this morning, although not completely set up since it seems to be peaking at 0.88 bar boost for now. First impressions... LOVE IT! The big (HUGE) difference is that seems doesnt take much for the car to come to the boost side, and then the boost rockets up quite fast! But i do have some questions about this:

1- I can see my peak boost already even when i dont have the gas to the bottom. I would say i got 0.88 bar in 2nd gear and the pedal was not even half way...this was not the case before and boy the difference can be felt!

2- Now that the stock EBV is not controlling the boost, is it safe to assume that the fueling is still ok? I am leaving it at a normalish boost level (1-1.05 bar) with perhaps 1.1 to 1.2 bar overboost protection, but does the ECU measure the boost level still properly to regulate the mixture?

Hope someone can help

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 17:19

As written elsewhere, the ECU does not measure boost. The FPR together with the ECU will make sure you get the correct amount of fuel. (Based on the maps).

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 18:25

Hmmm but arent the maps specific to a certain boost? Damn im confused

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 18:34

Probably in some way, but the FPR will adjust the fuel pressure in relation to your boost, hence more fuel when there's higher pressure.
Think I read something about that the ECU measures boost indirectly, not entierly sure on how it works though. Probably works with MAF + RPM or something similar, to estimate boost pressure.

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 19:50

Ok, well im just worried not to fry the engine so was wondering about this...But i guess its the same for all the ones running electronig boost controllers here, or PRVs since you wont have the EBV connected either... I hope its all ok...love the coupe paranoia!

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 20:52

At that boost level you should be fine. what chip are you running + what intercooler?

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:04

I am running as far as i am concerned a standard chip thats why i am only choosing standard boost and overboost protection limit from stock...Have complete exhaust from turbo, and custom fmic job also

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:09

Someone's got to ask - if you're running an FMIC, surely you could run at least 1.2 bar with a GTEC chip with very little risk, especially in conjunction with a boost controller ??

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:14

Well i have a gtec II chip at home but never got it installed, and frankly after the recent concerning fueling posts i dont think i ever will. I think i will go for a custom chip later on in the summer with a new turbo perhaps or just without and explore the limits of the standard one The boost is not much of use these days with ice and snow and temperatures that dont go above 0 degrees

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:17

Quote:

The boost is not much of use these days with ice and snow and temperatures that dont go above 0 degrees

Now that's a load of bull!
It's just that danes are for some reason terrified by snow...
(I live here most of the year, but I'm from Sweden).

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:24

Most cars with fueling issues have a hybrid or roller turbo and run more boost to the redline using a boost controller (standard turbo wont do this even with a controller). With a standard turbo at 1.2 bar the standard intercooler copes OK unless your pushing the car in 4th / 5th gear. If your concerned about the GTEC2 then get a GTEC + run 1.2 bar - a VERY large ammount of coupe owners do so with the standard IC and turbo, and very few have issues.

Best to get the fuelling checked on a rolling road. If you book yourself in for a session try both the GTEC and GTEC2 and see which is better for your car - you may not need a unichip map.

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:25

Well, i am no Dane although live here
And icy roads and snow like the 40 cm we got some weeks ago
do cause some fear

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 18/01/2006 21:34

If snow/ice on the roads scare the driver, he/she should not be driving. Simple enough, take a cab or the bus/train.
Enough about this though, it's just such a big difference between the two countries even though they're very close to eachother.

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 19/01/2006 07:41

Quote:

Hmmm but arent the maps specific to a certain boost? Damn im confused

The 20vt maps are related to the MAF reading, and adjusted according to other sensors, inlet temperature, barometric pressure etc

The20vt uses a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, so normally would give 3 bar to the fuel rail, but actually gives 3bar + inlet boostbar to the fuel rail so 1 bar of boost will see 4 bar fuel pressure.

Joe

Re: Electronic Boost Controller - Questions - 19/01/2006 15:42

Thanks for the explanations Feel more confident now... Have finally set the EVC to 40% boost which is giving around 1 bar boost and damn it feels so much quicker than with the EBV...much more
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK