Fiat Coupe Club UK

gtec1 with cracked manifold?

Posted By: Vinno

gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 01:17

hey hey,

Just lately ive been having a craving to improve my car by the way of a gtec1.
I already have a boost gauge, I will be buying a new one though since the one ive got now seems to be bust. It reads 0psi at tickover and goes up as I accelerate (even when not on boost) and then goes back to 0 when I reach a steady speed. This morning I tested it to see what max reading I could get... I accelerated hard in 3rd up to about 65 and got around 11-13psi.
Does this sound right?

Anyway back to the topic in hand. My coupe has a cracked manifold, would getting a gtec cause any problems or aggrevate the manifold problem?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 01:47

may aggrevate the problem, but it could get worse on its own anyway, it could stay as it is for ages, cant really tell.

second hand welded manifolds pop up every now and again in parts for sale and arent that expensive.

id get the gauge sorted first though. check the pipe which its connected to all the way along for a split, if you have another gauge lying around, or someone nearby who will lend you one throw it on and see, but if your thinking of buying one check the pipes first
Posted By: redinstead

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 01:52

hi vinno
i live in stoke and can offer you a welded manifold on an exchange basis have one in stock or contact carlt on here he usually stocks the parts

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 02:27

nothing to do with manifold. should read about -20 on tickover. your gauge should have 30 to 0 then 0 to 30. max boost should read about 18-19psi 1.2/1.3bar depending on how much you have set the prv.

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 02:29

if you feel the car is boosting fine then you need to check the installation of gauge.
Posted By: bockers

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 02:38

I may be alone here but I would always say get it rolling road tested. Cracked manifold or no cracked manifold. A boost gauge will not show a lean fuelling engine, which will kill the engine far quicker than the odd boost spike.
Posted By: Vinno

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 16/01/2008 04:06

My car is totally standard at the mo, so is the reading of 11-13psi correct? It feels okay to be honest, pulls well and I never feel that my car is slower than it should be.

I was planning on getting another boost gauge to be honest, I don't like the one thats in and I want one that reads in bar. Should I just buy and fit the new one with a new pipe (also check the old pipe) and see if the problem persists?

Re: gtec1 with cracked manifold? - 17/01/2008 02:52

11-13psi thats about stock boost. thats fine is you've don nothing to her.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK