Fiat Coupe Club UK

Dangerously Lean..??

Posted By: nick_d

Dangerously Lean..?? - 10/05/2008 11:43

My r/r graph

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/nicdav1/scan0001.jpg

I've been advised this is dangerously lean...

what do we reckon??? What figure (afr) should i be looking for as a few different people have said different values for a turbo charged car???

Also whenever i come off the power for an island and put the clutch in, 8 times out of 10 car will stall??
Could this be due to it being lean?? Also occasionally backfires at low revs???

Nick
Posted By: Flea

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 10/05/2008 17:20

Your blue run is a little too rich and your red run is way too lean. Should be aiming for 11-12 afr dependant on boost and ignition timing.

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 10/05/2008 17:29

So you wouldn't drive it too hard at the mo then???
Gonna get 3.8 bar fpr next week so should bring it down a bit???
Blue run wasn't a LITTLE rich... it was massively rich, where the graph is flat on the fuel graph it's off the scale, it wasn't 10 as it looks on the sheet!!!

As i'm way to lean, do you think this could be holding the power back???
Nick
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 12/05/2008 17:33

Nick,

2 points,

get the 3.8fpr installed ;\)

stalling must be related to the throttle body idle speed screw being altered to have the car running properly with the mega rich setup you had. Check the FAQs, clean the ICV which will be suffering from all the carbon of the mega rich running and then follow the idle speed regulation instructions there.

cheers

V.

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 12/05/2008 23:58

3.8 bar regulator fitted!!! sort of!!!
Well its in, and doing its job, just didn't use that FOOOOOKING triangular clip that holds fpr in, as i think i broke it getting it off!!!
Bit of a bodge, but i used a jubilee clip, putting it round the fuel rail and round the Fpr... then tightened it!!
Seems to be workin fine as there are no fuel leaks and the car runs fine.... will get the proper clip on at some stage!! \:D

Car still stalling at lows revs when coming off power for say an island or junction!!!
Also the idle seems to go up and down between 750 and 1000
when warmed up???

Also what is ICV???

Nick

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 13/05/2008 00:37

idle control valve.
Barell thingy around 3-4cm in dia and 8 in height.
Lives on the inlet piping by the battery 20cm before the butterfly.
Clean it as per the FAQ and regulate your idle speed.
Hunting could also be the throttle position sensor, has it been altered at some point during/after the rebuilt?

And yes, going from 13 to 12 should give you some more ponies, it's just a combo of things that have to be done.

Cannot really figure how you secured the fpr, but unless you want a v.expensive firework, I'd get the clip and fit it properly (it's a bitch I know...)
Posted By: Saint

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 13/05/2008 00:54

Nick, have to agree with Vas about the clip, get the proper one, there is alot of fuel pressure in the rail and if it leaks it could be an engine bay fire.

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 13/05/2008 01:59

ok! i've been officially told off....TWICE!!! \:D

cleaned IDV and still the same???
Only really been doing this "hunting" since i removed throttle body to get at FPR???

Nick

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 13/05/2008 10:44

did you reseal the mating plates? could be leaking air...
Get some of this red cold vulcanizing thing and apply to the surfaces and re-tighten it.
Nick, check the FAQ on how to adjust idle speed with engine hot and unplugging the ICV! (It should be on the how to clean the ICV FAQ)

And did I mention not to drive around and replace that clip?

So it's 3times now!

V.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 13/05/2008 12:07

Originally Posted By: nick_d

I'll make it four then ;\) Seriously though, leaking petrol and inhaling the fumes for over an hour, you will be completely f**ked! Believe me, i did it once years ago, i had a leak and after driving around for an hour with the leak, the fumes made us high, but in a real "shit, i've been punched in the head several times and can't see properly!"
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Dangerously Lean..?? - 02/06/2008 19:26

Originally Posted By: Begbie
 Originally Posted By: nick_d

I'll make it four then ;\) Seriously though, leaking petrol and inhaling the fumes for over an hour, you will be completely f**ked! Believe me, i did it once years ago, i had a leak and after driving around for an hour with the leak, the fumes made us high, but in a real "shit, i've been punched in the head several times and can't see properly!"

Haha, i'm going to check out www.sniffpetrol.com now. Haven't been on there for ages \:D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK