Fiat Coupe Club UK

End of an era - my coupe

Posted By: JohnS

End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:19

After having enjoyed the summer using my Coupe I have decided it is time for me to move on. In the current climate no buyer is likely to come forward for it and I always had concerns that anyone who bought it would have stacked it and hurt themselves in a rush of adrenalin.

In my long tenure of coupe ownership I’ve really enjoyed the ownership experience. People have always been very friendly and helpful.
As the tuning section has really been my ‘home’ on the forum I wanted to post up and thank everyone who has supported me over the years.

So the good news for everyone else is I am breaking it for parts!! Most parts will be available, I will put up an initial list today on the ‘coupe parts’ section
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:23

frown ????why you give up your car??
Posted By: JKD

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:25

let me get this straight.

you are not going to sell your whole car to someone because its so powerful that they would find it overwhelming?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:26

Nooooooooo

frown

John, you've always been a tuning legend and a long standing user of this forum, it's a sad sad day when you leave us and a crying shame to break your coupe.

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:29

Dont do it John, or I will be forced to buy it... crazy that car is not meant to finish his life this way...

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:32

JohnS you have any pictures of your Coupe?

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:42

This just isnt right!

At least wait until i have some money laugh

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 20:55

Originally Posted By: JKD
let me get this straight.

you are not going to sell your whole car to someone because its so powerful that they would find it overwhelming?

Well three people walked away after a test drive because they did not appreciate how fast it is.

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 21:13

how powerful and fast is your Coupe exactly?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 21:28

Not sure if these stats are up to date? shocked

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 21:50

censored me!

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 22:23

frown it'd be a shame John for you to break it up, especially after the hard work & humble beginnings of your car.

600hp+ from a FWD drive car is a testament to having over 3x the original power when it left the factory !! cool

I'd love to have that power, but if deffo can corrupt, even on my measly output wink , in the wrong hands, it could easily be a licence loser at the least.

I'd personally either think about a few other options, as in reality we both know we'd never get the initial outlay, just don't work that way & one we'd never expected in the 1st place.

Don't chop it up yet please smile

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 22:26

Originally Posted By: JKD
censored me!

yeah that, thats some car. how much were you looking for the whole car???

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 22:27

i could be interested in saving this
Posted By: DaveG

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 23:03

Well it was up for sale for quite some time at around £11k and then down at a whisker under £10k, a bargain!

(and my commission is very reasonable too wink )

But as Taz says, please don't say you have to break it John cry

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 12/10/2009 23:34

JohnS please please please DO NOT break your Coupe.

Its too important to be broken. You have your totally standard examples and then you have this- an achievement in tuning.

To think you got a 220bhp Fiat Coupe and took it up to the dizzying levels of power that high end exotic cars run at- its really impressive.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 06:17

frown what will you get now John ?
Posted By: JimO

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 06:22

LOL all these people saying don't break, you can't break, I can save this car, etc, etc - this car has been up for sale for nearly 2 years, put your money where your mouth is, as it were!!!

I am sure John has thought long and hard about this, well 2 years I guess, and this is his decision.

Good luck John smile

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 07:52

Sorry, I don't really see any other way than to break it. Anyone who wants to do it on the cheap can pick up some of the key parts that are for sale if they want to 'put their money where their mouth is'. Particularly the turbo, exhaust manifold/exhaust and ecu.

Thanks for all the support guys

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 07:54

I'm with JimO on this! At the end of the day John can't drop his price of the car. It just doesn't make financial sense.

Sad to see you go John! I'm sure it will be really hard for John to do this so people should try and support him instead.

You could have give me a few months notice because I want to buy some bits. laugh
Posted By: Saint

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 08:17

Sorry to hear it is getting broken John but understandable if you need to move on given how long it has been on the market.

Good luck

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 08:18

Nooooo cry

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 08:18

Too late, the parts are being sold left, right and centre.

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 08:55

Sorry to see this John frown

As Barbz said earlier, John was always pushing the Coupe tuning boundaries and I'm always wondering how would a 600hp+ Coupe perform on streets / drag strip confused

Do you have any videos of the car in action? smile

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 11:40

Sorry to hear this, such a legendary coupe and im sure it will still one that’s talked about for years to come!

The worrying thing is What next John?

its a shame you have to break it but at the end of the day the cusse for concern for other people is too great, i know for a fact i would end up in a tree in that monster!

but i know i would be smiling my censored off at the same time!!!!

good luck with the sale John!
Posted By: Per

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 12:07

I look forward to a Nissan GT-R with 2000hp. smile
Posted By: Trappy

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 12:23

At the very least, get the performance measured using a GPS device. It would be nice to find out the limits of traction with FWD smile

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 15:53

Very sorry to hear about your decision John. I do understand where you are coming from having had to do this myself, though on a slightly smaller scale. You will make your money back, and you would have the same end result if you sold it to someone that crashed it, or did not know how to look after it properly. cry

Good Luck - and thanks for all the advice over the years.

I hope you find another project that you enjoy. smile
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 16:22

It's an understandable decision. I can imagine people who have come along to buy it don't appreciate what 550 bhp feels like. That's more power than most Ferraris.

Will the car be "returned to standard" or completely stripped? I understand that it has had a full respray, but to do this it would basically need a complete engine / brake / suspension transplant!

Even if it's broken up, the legend will live on in the forum.

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 17:57

not sure what will happen to the rolling chassis, no decision on it....yet!!

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 13/10/2009 18:36

a very very sad day for the Coopunity

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 14/10/2009 00:50

frown frown frown its not right frown frown
Posted By: Begbie

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 14/10/2009 07:53

John

Gutted to hear you're doing this, but i suppose if you need to recoup some of the money, then this is the only logical way to do so. I hope that the money from this isn't going into the wife's beetle project that you have been intending to do for the past X years laugh
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 14/10/2009 08:47

No money to wife! Just say NO man!!! laugh

I hope that you do not leave the community after you sold the last camshaft....we need guys like you here. You are like the Star trek guys (where no man has gone before), been at the front line of tuning, pushing the Coupe engine to new levels.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do John! smile

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 14/10/2009 08:59

quick question, why not keep the engine and build a kit car? say like a rear engine car?????? laugh

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 14/10/2009 09:01

or i was thinking the other night a 4x4 16v turbo??? hf turbos used the same engine didnt they??

Re: End of an era - my coupe - 16/10/2009 15:53

frown

This was the car I aspired to own.

I'd be lying if I said I would have been able to buy it any time in the near future unless an unexpected inheritance comes my way, but I've always held on to a thought that one day I'd be able to say "I'll give you the full asking price for that" and I wouldnt have thought twice about doing so.

Good luck with the sale of all the parts John. Maybe one day I'll be driving a different Coupe with some of your parts in it. wink
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK