Fiat Coupe Club UK

Throatier/ louder exhaust?

Posted By: sonic

Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 08/11/2009 20:12

At present I have a Supersprint catback system but after having a Longlife system on my last 20vt I miss the throaty and a fair bit louder exhaust note.

I do quite a bit of motorway driving but am not particularly worried about a loud system as long as its not too boomy- the exhaust that is on it now just sounds too standard for my liking.

My question is: Is it possible to have a silencer removed on a supersprint without it sounds boomy and annoying?

I don't want to have to buy another exhaust system for such a small detail but if I can change the note slightly that would be good. Does any else have any experience in what I am after?

My car is running a Torque Italia spec hybrid turbo but Nigel has informed me that a decat will probably blow the seals shortly after fitting it, so I don't fancy that!

cheers

Sam
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 08/11/2009 20:54

There is only the Cat between the engine and your back box, so without using a decat pipe, there aren't any other options I can think of really.

It's a big spend for a bit more noise too!

Nice looking car though! wink

Gareth

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 08/11/2009 21:32

a decat will blow the seals on a hybrid???
what kind of hybrid is it a proper hybrid eg gtir or superspool spec or just a 360 bearing hybrid.
I was kinda under the impression just a std turbo will blow its seals on a decat.

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 08/11/2009 22:12

I was wondering the same, I'm having a hybrid fitted, bit worried now!

Gareth
Posted By: Gaz

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 08/11/2009 22:20

Should be fine with uprated turbo

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 09/11/2009 08:56

it depends on the spec of the turbo but id be surprised if it wasnt up to a decat. from what you say id have thought a straight through unsilenced decat is what youre after. to build you one in stainless wouldnt cost a lot at all. if youre unsure about going down the decat route a new back box would solve the problem, though with the longevity of the supersprint centre section thats not an option i would recommend. a cat back system might not be as expansive as you think.

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 09/11/2009 09:41

a decat will be fine on a hybrid, i have one on mine, i think any uprated turbo and not standard should be fine with a decat.

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 09/11/2009 14:52

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The turbo is a Torque Italia spec hybrid turbo from TurboDynamics.
If I can run with a decat I certainly will buy one but I don't want to take an unnecessary risk?

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 09/11/2009 23:03

Also my car has been live mapped by Flea although this was before my ownership.

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 10/11/2009 09:33

forgot to mention, a decat will free up some power aswell

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 20/11/2009 20:47

Why not get a custom back section, with a smaller (or no) back box? I run a decat (small box) with a rear box (small) and it sounds great. I might get a no box rear pipe for next summer, just for fun though!

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 20/11/2009 20:56

Originally Posted By: sonic
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The turbo is a Torque Italia spec hybrid turbo from TurboDynamics.
If I can run with a decat I certainly will buy one but I don't want to take an unnecessary risk?

I spoke to 3 different turbo companies a few months back, including Turbo Dynamics and they all told me that whilst refurbing my original turbo, regardless of spec that they would uprate the seals so you should be able run a decat no problem. This is only an issue with the standard turbos. If in doubt, ring them up, they might have a record of your turbo and tell you the exact spec

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 26/11/2009 20:12

ah thats interesting thanks, Ill give turbo dynamics a call tomorrow.

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 27/11/2009 10:58

I called Turbo Dynamics. The guy said that its still a risk, although they do uprate the seals - if the exhaust is a larger bore than standard there is still the risk of the turbo wearing out because of back pressure being lost in the exhaust (where the turbo relies on suction) does that sound about right?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 27/11/2009 12:48

Yes - that's about right

For the avoidance of doubt then....

decatting WILL blow the seals on a standard turbo - its just a matter of time

decatting MIGHT blow the seals on a hybrid turbo - it depends on quite a few factors, such as quality of the turbo, age of the turbo, boost pressure that's run, diameter of the exhaust etc etc

So - you could get lucky and not get any smoke for many months, but it could kill the turbo almost straight away

Re: Throatier/ louder exhaust? - 27/11/2009 13:41

I decided against decatting.
I have removed the supersprint back box and replaced it with a 2.25 mandrel bent tube of stainless steel, I also welded the backbox tail pipe back on so it looks the same as before. I had to add an extra hanger because it moved around more due to it weighing next to nothing.
It sounds amazing now though (throaty and roar) so it was worth the effort and had no risk attached! smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK