Fiat Coupe Club UK

Air/Fuel mixture or Boost gauge?

Posted By: Anonymous

Air/Fuel mixture or Boost gauge? - 07/07/2010 19:25

I want to add an extra gauge to my 20VT.

I'm caught between an Air/Fuel meter or a Turbo Boost gauge.

I want to fit it below the dash as shown below. Which would be more useful in a tweeked car?
Mine has a bigger Garret turbo (not sure what model), Flea stage 3 remap, loud decatted stainless exhaust and an electronic boost controller in the ashtray (too low to see the boost safely)
click to enlarge

Has anyone fitted one the other side?

I really would like to have both gauges, but I'm not really into fitting a pod.
Posted By: MattM

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 19:29

I assume your talking about a narrowband AFR gauge, which are pretty pointless to be honest.

Go for the boost gauge, much more useful
Posted By: Coupe_Don

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 19:56

As MattM says I wouldn't bother with a narrowband but if it's a wideband afr gauge would be handy to see how the car is fuelling on and off boost and could help flag up problems.... on the other hand I would say a boost gauge is pretty much a must for day to day running, boost related problems crop up quite alot.

I have both and they drive me crazy with added coupe paranoia! laugh
Posted By: Nigel

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 20:01

Its possible to fit on both sides

click to enlarge

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 20:24

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Its possible to fit on both sides

That looks good.

Originally Posted By: Coupe_Don

I have both and they drive me crazy with added coupe paranoia! laugh

I don't understand why there's no boost gauge on the turbo models.

I was going to get one of the AFR gauges that connects to the existing lambda sensor, I take it you guys think that type is useless?

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 21:03

No not completely but you can't map to its values.
Posted By: MattM

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 21:09

The gauge you are talking about is a narrow band gauge.

It will show you what the fuelling is like on idle, but when on WOT it will just show rich. (i think)

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 07/07/2010 22:34

I would have thought it would show which side of perfect (stoich) mix the exhaust was showing anyway?

Whatever the revs.

Excuse my ignorance, I've never had a turbo car before.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 08/07/2010 08:06

A cheap AFR gauge is only useful to let you know if something is seriously wrong, or if its running about right at full boost

On my cheapy narrowband, I get the required 8 leds lit at full throttle / full boost, which is enough to tell me its behaving as Leighton mapped it.

I can also spot if the lambda is having a hissy fit, as the leds can sometimes stop their usual 'dancing'

However, it cannot be relied upon as an accurate indication of fuelling - I can get it to cruise with zero LEDs showing (thanks to Leighton's 'fuel-saver' map)

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 08/07/2010 11:16

Boost gauge. Always boost gauge first.

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 08/07/2010 11:35

The first pic is of my red coupes dash smile

I'd choose a decent boost gauge 1st

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 09/07/2010 00:17

a good boost gauge is absolutely essential in monitoring the health of a turbocharged car.

an AFM meter only if the car is highly modified and running custom maps/ECU.

redd

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 09/07/2010 17:16

OK thanks guys, a nice shiny Boost gauge didn't drop on the doormat today, luckily I was outside giving my Bella a good clean when the posty arrived.

I've not been able to do anything for the last 3 weeks following surgery for cancer.

Hopefully I'll be fitting it in the morning, if I can get out there before the missus wakes up!

Originally Posted By: RMJ
The first pic is of my red coupes dash smile

Oh, I got the piccy from Webbo's excellent guide.

Re: AFM or Boost dial? - 18/07/2010 14:09

After a bit of thought I decided to go for the pillar pod, I think I can see it better there.

click to enlarge

I already have a digital boost gauge on the electronic boost controller, unfortunately it's difficult to see when moving on, it's in the ashtray. crazy crazy crazy
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK