Fiat Coupe Club UK

Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results

Posted By: jame5

Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 21/10/2010 22:36

Fitted my Gtec1 this afternoon and took it to my local rolling road (2mins down the road!) to get the fueling checked, click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge do these graphs look ok?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 21/10/2010 23:01

i'm probably not the best person to advise but,

power looks ok (peaks around 5600rpm)

torque looks ok, if not higher than average

you AFR looks a little lean, should be around 11.3 iirc

your boost looks a bit yo-yo, and high for a standard turbo and a gtec 1 (average 1.2 tailing off to around 0.9 @ redline). you have a 1.5 bar spike, drops to 1.0 then back to 1.5! but that would explains the high torque!

are you on standard turbo?

someone will probably be along to correct me anyway smile

Ninja

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 21/10/2010 23:12

Boost problem i think is down to the ebv, i've cleaned it once but it's still playing up. Yes it's a standard turbo, all standard apart from the Gtec!

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 06:51

You should get PRV and manualy set your preasure,
it will be much better and steadier boost.

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 08:17

Originally Posted By: Al_Galone
You should get PRV and manualy set your preasure,
it will be much better and steadier boost.

Isn't the boost build-up much smoother (in real world driving, not flat-out) with the EBV, as ECU adjusts the boost continuously according to different conditions. I've read comments about the driving with PRV being much more aggressive, with on-off boost feeling?
Maybe his EBV needs replacing... It's not expensive, IIRC??

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 09:51

Originally Posted By: Marko_hr
[quote=Al_Galone]

AA doesn't stock it as they said it was a dealer only available part. I got mine from my local Fiat dealer for £120

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 10:11

Problem is that a stock fiat EBV is good only for controling preasures of 1bar after that it produces 2 much overboost and you have a wild boost line,
This is all from my expirience,becouse I had to much of uncontroled boost with EBV,when i replaced it with PRV everything came right!

Best thing offcourse is some aftermarket hiperformance EBC

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 13:47

Yes, the boost is pulsing up/down a bit, try resetting the ECU again and if that doesn't help then a new/uprated EBV or PRV @ 1.2 bar should sort it out. Or else a full electronic boost control system.

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 14:06

Originally Posted By: duncan78
Originally Posted By: Marko_hr
[quote=Al_Galone]

AA doesn't stock it as they said it was a dealer only available part. I got mine from my local Fiat dealer for £120

£120, rip-off!!! grr
It's better to spend another £50-100 and get an EBC!

Doesn't Flea/FC performance sell an "uprated/replacement" EBV?

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 14:16

That all depends on how you look at it, my insurance company wanted a considerable increase for a Flea EBV.

My car runs standard power / ECU anyway.

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 14:24

I thought Flea EBV is a Pierburg valve similar in appearance to the stock unit!? Are You sure the insurance company would spot the difference? wink

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 14:48

It is similar in size but not in colour, the mounting arrangements would be a bit different.

As for insurance it's a bit of grey area, technically it's a modification from the standard parts but then I didn't tell them about my Forge DV006 although it does not alter the performance in anyway and behaves the same way (not like a BOV).

but that's another discussion smile

on topic: For the OP car with a GTEC chip, personally I would be looking at getting an uprated EBV from Flea as it will handle the boost increase (and overall performance) far better than the standard EBV.
Posted By: tonyd20vt

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 15:09

I had 1.5 boost spike tailing off when I had my Gtech1. I had both manual PRV and EBV fitted. Manual kept the spike down but was not a smooth drive, on-off power. EBV does spike but is smoother drive, felt slower though.

then had flea map, my boost is still around the 1.5 then tailing off.

This is due to the orginal EBV. Flea does an uprated EBV £95 which should stabilse the boost and keep the ECU saftey features which a PRV does not.

Do a search, lots of info on PRV's vs EBV's

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 22/10/2010 18:07

I have a new uprated ebv on it's way soon, hopefully should sort things out.

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 24/10/2010 20:14

Sounds like i may be having the same problem...

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 24/10/2010 21:12

I've read a fair few posts with the same problem, it usually turns out to be the ebv or the dump valve, in most cases just cleaning the ebv solves the problem.
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 25/10/2010 07:41

I also had problem with roller coaster boost pressure. Installed a prv and the problem was solved. But with prv the boost build up was more aggressive, more an on-off feeling.

Cheers
Freddan

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 25/10/2010 15:11

What are typical boost gauge readings on idle, soft acceleration, hard acceleration and deceleration guys? I'm getting -0.1 before i switch on, about -0.8 on idle, up to zero or low positive figures on soft acceleration, up to about 1 bar on hard acceleration and on deceleration it swings back to -1?

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 26/10/2010 14:15

Everything looks OK,except you should have 1.2bar on hard acceleration if you have GTEC1,if you are runing stock ECU map then it is ok 1.0 bar on hard acc but in 3rd 4th and 5th gear but in 1st and 2nd gear you should see 0.7-0.8bar

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 26/10/2010 15:44

PRV feels more aggressive because it's not leaking any boost back into the intake or the atmosphere during spool up, which the EBV and even a top of the range EBC would do due to the way they work. More aggressive is better isnt it? tongue

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 28/10/2010 19:58

I'm thinking of adding a prv to see what difference it makes.. How many of you have them installed ?

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 28/10/2010 20:30

i think it is stuck solenoid valve. i have gtek1 on stock valve and works ok.
may be some small piece of something stucks, or rubber pipe to the wastegate makes an angle that stops ressure on vibratons.

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 28/10/2010 20:58

not a bad result james 254 bhp , how's the car feel now ? .

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 30/10/2010 10:12

I have seen a few prv's on ebay.. About £15, have any of you used these? They all look very similar, ball and spring etc.. Can you recommend any? Also which spark plugs should i get? Thanks guys, emerson

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 30/10/2010 11:47

Ball and spring type work fine, just make sure you watch the boost when setting up :-)

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 30/10/2010 15:02

Just got new uprated ebv, any ideas which pipes go to where?
click to enlarge

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 31/10/2010 21:13

Ordered a prv today on ebay £19.99 plus postage.. About 23quid all in which isn't bad i think.. When setting up i understand i should set it low first then gradually increase to 1.2 bar? That sound right to you guys? It boosts to about 1.3 bar at the moment if i slowly feed the throttle, but like i said earlier, if i floor it too quickly it boosts on and off like a yoyo.. Hopefully a prv should stabilise it ;-)

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 31/10/2010 22:59

Fitted new ebv last night, many thanks to flea for his invaluable advice. No more yoyo boosting! Unfortunately still spiking to 1.5-1.6 (hence smokey clutch on the tunnel run this morning) so manual boost controller will have to be fitted i think.
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 01/11/2010 09:26

Originally Posted By: Emerson1978
Ordered a prv today on ebay £19.99 plus postage.. About 23quid all in which isn't bad i think.. When setting up i understand i should set it low first then gradually increase to 1.2 bar? That sound right to you guys? It boosts to about 1.3 bar at the moment if i slowly feed the throttle, but like i said earlier, if i floor it too quickly it boosts on and off like a yoyo.. Hopefully a prv should stabilise it ;-)

Yes that's the way to go smile

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 01/11/2010 20:40

James you can run the prv and ebv at the same time, this will

a) give you ecu features
b) give you the maximum 1.2 bar pressure rating
c) give you the smooth delivery of boost from the valve

PM me if you need a hand

Tim

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 12:32

Prv arrived this morning.. Which pipe on the current ebv is the 'boost source' and which is the 'to actuator' ? I have one pipe with red dot and one with blue dot... ? Thanks the instructions provided with the prv are basic to say the least! Think it is written in engrish! ;-)
Posted By: Flea

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 13:00

Red - boost
Blue - actuator

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 13:10

Thanks flea.

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 14:31

I guess I will use my boost gauge to calibrate the PRV to 1.2 BAR but how do I know if the Boost gauge is correct? It sits at -.1BAR when the engine is off... should this be at zero?

Is there a way of setting the PRV to the required pressure release prior to fitting to the car? I have a track pump that I use for my MTB... could I attach the boost pipe (RED)to this to set it to 1.2 BAR before i fit it? Maybe this would then save messing around with test runs on the road etc?

What do you think?

Thanks

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 16:22

to check if your boost gauge is reading right - rolling road it again and compare what your gauge is saying to what the printout says!

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 17:07

Kinda need a rolling road to do that though eh ;-)

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 02/11/2010 21:47

Reckon i'll have to wait until the weekend to fit the prv.. Daylight has all but gone by the time i get home.. But i just connected my track pump to the boost side of it and by turning the knob in and out i was able to set it at pretty much spot on 1 bar.. I push the pump down hard and it releases at 1 bar pressure... Neat eh! Well it's a good starting point anyway ;-) least now once it's on i should only have to apply minor adjustment to get it to 1.2 bar ;-)

Re: Gtec 1 fitted, rolling road results - 05/11/2010 14:06

Just fitted prv.. With a bit of adjustment i got it to between 1.2 and 1.3 bar.. Took it for a run and it did seem to boost a bit quicker but on hard acceleration (i.e. More than quarter throttle) it did the same thing.. It accelerates like nobody's business then judders and continues to do so until i take my foot off the throttle slightly... Like fuel starvation? but if i feed the power slowly it will pull like a train all the way through the revs...So back to the drawing board eh! I put the standard ebv back on for now to be safe until i find the real problem.. going have to get over to flea soon.. :-( so frustrating!

I'll continue this tread in 'Technical Issues - intermittent power loss' Emerson
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK