Fiat Coupe Club UK

gtec 1 overboost

Posted By: Anonymous

gtec 1 overboost - 08/02/2011 15:57

after fitting a gtec 1 chip is it normal for the car to overboost to 1.5bar then drop to 1.2 - 1.3

at a guess i'd say its probably not safe on the engine / turbo but i'm after your opinions / knwledge on the matter before i rush out and get a MBC before the group buy for the ebc is sorted, as i'm after one of them.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: gtec 1 overboost - 08/02/2011 16:00

It'll be the standard EBV "spiking". Put a PRV on it or try another EBV. Mine's been doing it for the last two months, but it's only for a milisecond, and again only when I boot it, which isn't that often. So I've just left it until I get this HDI thingy.

Re: gtec 1 overboost - 08/02/2011 16:15

yeah. i think i'll just wait till i get the HDI thingy to! i dont want to damage my engine, but i dont want to spend un neccesary money on a manual boost controller as i dont have one.

Re: gtec 1 overboost - 08/02/2011 16:53

If it's only hitting 1.4 to 1.5 bar for a second then dropping to 1.2 bar or so that is OK, temporary overboost of that level can even happen on a standard car. If your clutch is fairly worn it probably won't last very long though.

I'd go for a PRV at 1.2 bar, much less wear on the clutch due to zero overboost and more consistent boost in general, although the "on/off" nature of the throttle can take a little getting used to.

Re: gtec 1 overboost - 08/02/2011 16:54

you could clean out the ebv cheaply and easily, buy a manual controller off ebay for cheap, or put your standard chip back in until you get the EBC. Choice is yours safety wise.

I'm running a gtec1 + manual controller as my EBV is also not too steady.

Re: gtec 1 overboost - 08/02/2011 17:26

new clutch 15k ago so not to worried about that at the moment! hehe.

okay, cheers for the advice guys.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK