Fiat Coupe Club UK

Head unit options

Posted By: Gripped

Head unit options - 11/01/2022 16:47

Hi all

Currently got a fairly modern Sony head unit with FM and CD player. Sound quality is very good but I could do with DAB, Bluetooth music and hands free phone.

Any recommendations? I've had some Halfrauds vouchers for Chrimbo so that was my first thought. Not really wanting to spend a fortune. Looking at Sony at around £150.

Welcome views.
Posted By: jaaps2

Re: Head unit options - 11/01/2022 16:58

I have a Pioneer MVH-X580DAB, because imo it best fits the coupe design.
Posted By: respace

Re: Head unit options - 11/01/2022 17:27

Check your reception before forking out for DAB, I got it on my 16vt years ago following all coverage on BBC about how wonderful it was, it never worked in Dorset, I imagine your terrain may be similarly unhelpful. I've a system with it in the house and the new one in my 20v has it, not a squeak from either! Make sure you get with FM as well.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Head unit options - 11/01/2022 17:48

Thanks, Definitely good advice. The DAB on our Alfa Giulietta was intermittent at best. I'll certainly make sure it has FM too.

Cheers
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Head unit options - 11/01/2022 18:17

Assuming it's highly unlikely you want to make a hole in the bodywork the aerial options are crucial to consider. I've spent years looking for a half-decent consistent reception with stick-on-inside-windscreen aerials, both vertically (recommended) and horizontally, but even in Edinburgh I quickly experienced signal fallout.

By far the most successful option recently has been the purchase of a magnetic outside aerial from Halfords for not much more than a tenner - the magnet surprisingly perhaps hasn't failed yet. Before driving off I plant it on the bonnet corner nearest to the steering wheel and the cable sits in the hinge crevice in such a way so as not to get chopped off. The rest of the cable goes behind the driver's footwell carpet.

It's a slight faff remembering to bring it back in when you've stopped and park it at the bottom of the A pillar but the reward in continuity is great.
Posted By: Morrison

Re: Head unit options - 11/01/2022 23:50

Toby if you wanna have a look at mine (ooh err), we can meet up for a looksee.

It's a dab jobbie from Kenwood.

I've had a few dabs over the years and the best I've had in terms of reception was a Phillips unit and horizontal aerial, both from Halfords
Posted By: acc67

Re: Head unit options - 12/01/2022 18:14

I’ve got a ‘PURE’ head unit phone/dab/cd/aux in via mem stick bought from Halfords, been in my coupe for 4years and still ok. Simple not fussy if that’s the look you want
Posted By: jaaps2

Re: Head unit options - 12/01/2022 18:34

I connected the DAB to the standard aerial using a splitter with the aerial-amplifier still in place. I didn't want the ugly sticker-antenna on the windscreen, did not want to drill a hole in the roof and had - until now - never heard of the "magnetic outside aerial". However, the reception is bad, only a few stations. Would be interested if somebody has tried to bypass the standard aerial-amplifier, which is in the left rear pillar. Or somebody who installed an antenna behind the radiator grille or a bumper.

In my Ford Focus mk2 I could reuse the roof-antenna. I bought a replacement kit (some cable and a new screw-on part on the roof, not difficult at all) and that worked really well. And the standard analog radio still works.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Head unit options - 12/01/2022 18:38

Originally Posted by jaaps2
I connected the DAB to the standard aerial with the aerial-amplifier still in place. I didn't want the ugly sticker-antenna on the windscreen, did not want to drill a hole in the roof and had - until now - never heard of the "magnetic outside aerial". However, the reception is bad, only a few stations. Would be interested if somebody has tried to bypass the standard aerial-amplifier, which is in the left rear pillar.

Indeed I have, without great success I'm afraid, following this tempting info

DAB thread

All sorts of permutations followed but disappointing result, pretty much cured as mentioned above by this
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK