Fiat Coupe Club UK

New radio required

Posted By: Sayers

New radio required - 10/09/2022 15:29

Afternoon all, my car still has the original clarion head unit fitted, and sadly the radio picks up no more than 3 stations and the CD player is throwing error codes from time to time.

So, its time for a replacement head unit, The replacement does not have to be brand new, im happy to use good second hand as long as it is able to meet my criteria ,and this is the reason for the post,

I am looking for a headunit which must have the following :-

Micro SD card slot so I can store and play my MP3 files.
Dab Radio and Antenna.
FM function.
Bluetooth phone function.
Single DIN.

Nice to have's

CD player.
Sat nav function.
USB connectivity to charge my phone.

So , can anybody on here make a recommendation for me please, I will be running a separate ignition live, not keen on the current perm live arrangement.

Thanks

Sayers
Posted By: wink

Re: New radio required - 18/09/2022 18:52

I've always liked Alpine. But sadly my experience of DAB is not good - ugly stick-on antenna and useless reception, so I generally stick to FM or play music from my iphone via USB. I think my Alpine unit will play CDs too but it's a long time since I had any...
Posted By: PaulL

Re: New radio required - 18/09/2022 19:02

Hello Sayers

Have you found anything that meets your needs

Paul
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: New radio required - 18/09/2022 19:26

Yes DAB is never going to be as good with the stick-on antennae as with a roof mount - but I don't anyone who would wish to compromise the aesthetic integrity of its design by doing this. I gather that an automatic aerial on the rear flank may have been an optional extra in European models...

My own solution after years of signal intermittency and experimentation was a £10 magnetic aerial from Halfords whose cable runs along the sill and through into the boot. The aerial stores upside down by the boot light switch with enough lead left to stick it on the rear corner when in motion - as far away from the alternator as possible wink

I just have to remember to remove it when leaving the car in busy areas!
Posted By: Sayers

Re: New radio required - 19/09/2022 13:12

Hi all,. thankyou for the replies,

Paul i have not found anything yet that meets my criteria, the hunt continues !
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: New radio required - 19/09/2022 14:03

Hi Sayers, Have a look on Amazon description as below

DAB Bluetooth Car Radio Single Din Car Stereo HandsFree FM/AM/RDS radio car MP3 players ,4x50W two USB/AUX input/SD/TF card+ remote control
Brand: CAMECHO
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: New radio required - 19/09/2022 15:57

Thanks for the link, I’ve just bought one

Cheers Jamie
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: New radio required - 20/09/2022 11:51

Great news, Let us know what you think of it once you have it fitted smile
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: New radio required - 24/09/2022 10:58

Folks, just powered it up in a rough and ready style to check it works

Honestly for £90 it’s spot on, the manual is somewhat basic, but if you’re familiar with fitting a head unit in a car then it’s all pretty straightforward

If you want something with modern connectivity then this does the job, it seems reasonably powerful for the speakers and it sounds better than the blaupunkt unit I’ve just removed

I’ll now faff around and get it plumbed properly

Cheers Jamie
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK