Fiat Coupe Club UK

Amp cutting out! need advice pls

Posted By: Anonymous

Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 15/12/2007 01:50

Sup everyone i need a little advice.

I have upgraded my amp and sub to inphase twine 12" running at 1200watts. i had a fusion amp and sub but changed as amp was cutting out. but after upgrading it's still cutting out. i think that the watts are running below 10 and i think why it's cutting out.

do i bay a power cap?
but a bigger batt.,

i think above is right but need a little advice before i waste money.
cheers
craig
Posted By: jas_racing

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 15/12/2007 02:50

Shorted speaker wire/speaker?

Had the same a few years back when a speaker cable had gotten 'pinched' and was shorting across itself from + to - and to ground!

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 29/12/2007 23:05

Did you fix it Craig?

There are various reasons why your amp could be cutting out. If you are sure its not a power problem (pretty easy to tell if it is as the power indicators will go off too) then its most likely a short, or you are overdriving it, or it could be your source (H/U) cutting out.

If you lower the gain right down does it still do it? Is it getting very hot?

W

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 29/12/2007 23:13

Still not fixed, i am waiting for a power cap. if the car is stationary the amp works fine. drive for a bit and it turns off and i'm not using full power. i don't think there's enough amps running it while driving. there don't seen anything wrong with headunit or amp.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 29/12/2007 23:19

Hi, is the amp connected to the battery (via a fuse), with some decent gauge cable, as some of the big amps can draw a lot of current...15amps+. You're always better driving an external power amp off the battery. Could also be a poor earth.

Mark

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 29/12/2007 23:34

earth is connected at rear//by rear lights. cable is from std amp/connection kit.

power is not connected to a fuse. there is 2 fuses on amp. the power cable is std.

i had same kinda problems a few years ago. i got a bigger batt and power cap and never had any other faults.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 30/12/2007 00:02

Hi, if its from the standard amp connection (e.g. where the head unit is connected), they are usually rated at 10 amps which is not enough for an external power amp, if the power supply is not good enough the amp will just cut out. If you decide to run a cable from the battery, make sure it is fused near the battery, so that the whole cable run is fuse protected.

Mark

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 30/12/2007 02:48

thanks for your help mark. i will replace the power cable and put in fuse. hopefully my power cap will arrive on monday so i can sort it out.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 30/12/2007 04:10

Hope all goes well, let us know how you get on.

Mark

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 31/12/2007 19:38

how exactly have you wired the amp up?and where to etc?

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 31/12/2007 20:25

all the amp/earth wires are fot 350watts max

my amp is running 1000watts....lol

i have ordered 2000watts install kit and i will install 1.6f power cap.

my problem is having cheap cables trying to run a power amp...lol

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 31/12/2007 23:22

sounds about right lol [a minimum of 4 awg power cable]

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 04/01/2008 20:14

upgraded power cable/earth with 8awg 2000watts cable all fused and the amp still cuts out after a drive.

still waiting for power cap. i don't think the amp is getting enough amps. i must have a shite batt or something.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 04/01/2008 20:27

So it, cuits out when the ignition is off ? If so yes sounds like your battery is on the way out or the amp is hungry \:D

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 04/01/2008 21:03

some good info i found somewhere.

1 : Incorrect impedance: what is the model number of the sub..? is it a DVC ? what is the impedance of each voice coil and how have you wired them to the sub? that JBL is a 2 channel class AB amp. in stereo mode it can take impedances as low as 2 ohms, and in bridged mode it can take impedances only as low as 4 ohms. If you ahve wired them in bridged mode for a 2 ohm load then this is bound to happen, check it out.

2: Gain settings: This is another issue which needs to be checked, Ideally the gains should be set at the RCA out voltage of the head unit, What HU do u have and what are the specs or the RCA outs. If they are 2 volt outs then the gains on the amp should be set at 2 ohms, if its a 4volt pre-out then the gains should be set at 4 volts. If you have set the gains that do not match this then there are possibllities for clipping and over heating and the amp going into protection mode. Check this out too..(Gain settings are NOT Volume settings on the amp, its a different fundamental in itself, so donot treat it as a volume knob)

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 04/01/2008 21:03

messed about with gain settings and i will take her for a spin later.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 05/01/2008 05:18

8 awg not enough, min of 4 awg, plus just cos the amp has 2000 watts splattered all over it doesn’t mean it can produce any where near that, as lets not forget 2000 watts would need at least 180 amps to power it ,2 ohm stereo is 4 ohm mono which means that the amp is trying to work twice as hard i.e.[360amps to power it] and on an amp of that quality there’s no chance, hence thermal shut down, like I said before how exactly have you wired this system up????

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 05/01/2008 22:17

in phase xt twin sub1200watts) amp with 900watts in phase 2c amp. not bridged.
8awg 2000watts cable with fuse. running power off batt.
kenwood face. rca and remote cable

running low gain.

works fine no problems with ignition off. go for a drive and after a few mins it turns off.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 01:27

Doing my head in big time. messed about with all the setting, reset headunit and still cuts out when driving. am i going f@@kinh mad or what????

Works amazing when ignition is off!!!!all i can think is that my amp can't handle 14+v from the bat when the alternator is working. but i've been told it should. going to take it to a professional tomorrow.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 02:08

Does it work on idle?

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 02:38

Originally Posted By: warnysouth
Does it work on idle?

If it does work on idle OK it's not down to vibration is it? just a thought.

Can you time how long it takes before cutting out whilst driving then see if the same happens if you leave the car idling for the same time period.
How hot is the amp getting?

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 02:42

i will have 2 test it, but last time i checked it was fine.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 02:44

amp was cold after driving. it works perfect untill you drive.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 02:49

sorry to repeat was it ok when idling?

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 02:59

yeah, last time it was fine. will have 2 check time as when your drive lasts about 3mins

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 03:08

It's possible that your alternator is over charging, try checking the voltage across the battery (carefully :D) whilst reving the engine, only thing I can think of.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 03:14

thats what i was thinking. i do have volt meter and its pumping 14v. but most car amps can handle 14v

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 08/01/2008 13:30

is that when its idling or under load ie revving might be pushing the voltage too high when revving.

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 09/01/2008 00:52

been to see the pro's today and they said its sorting because i'm using 8g wires and i need 4g.

i have 8g wires intalled that can handle 2000w, dont under stand why i need super large 4g wires on a amp that produces max 900w. my amp just about handles the thinkness of 8g, 4g is almost twice as think. 3g at 2.99 per meter...lol

Re: Amp cutting out! need advice pls - 14/01/2008 22:05

SORTED!!! remote wire from back of the headunit. must of been shorting cus its working fine. now have power cap intstalled and my bloody poor ears...lol
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK