Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fitting SatNav

Posted By: Anonymous

Fitting SatNav - 09/04/2006 02:20

Is this possible without the curly cable running from the unit to the cig lighter ?

Firstly, can the unit be powered from another source, rather than the cig lighter.

Second, can the wire be hidden from view ? ie run behind the dash, rather than in front of it ?

Third, are the 2 points above easy to carry out ?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Fitting SatNav - 09/04/2006 16:33

Yes, Yes, and fairly!

I have a PDA Satnav, its powered from a multi power socket thats located on top of the Airbag ECU under the dash (behind the stereo head unit). I took the power from the existing fag lighter supply, as it was clearly meant to supply a decent amount of power.

The cables then run up the inside of the dash and pop out by the central upper vent, right behind the dedicated cradle for the PDA.

I also have the Blitz boost controller with all its wiring behind the dash. Also have a pair of intake temp sensors in the ashtray, again with all the wiring hidden behind the dash.

Its a bit fiddly, but not difficult.

Re: Fitting SatNav - 10/04/2006 03:12

Just make sure you dont leave "tell tale" cables on view when the car is left.

Around here cars are being broken into and looted just beacuse there is a faint sucker-circle left on the windscreen where the sat nav unit fixes.

Needless to say when I take my little Garmin unit into the house I give the screen a quick wipe with my sleeve as well!

Damn cunning these crooks.

Re: Fitting SatNav - 17/04/2006 14:34

I use a system called Wayfinder which is bloody good. Unlike tomtom and garmin units you cant plop Points of interest in, but i find it is pretty accurate with spedtrap locations and some of them i have found is where the police often sit as well...

It covers all of europe as far as i can tell, with a lot of countries getting more and more traffic info coverage as well, and even has a mapping of the US as well.

Downside is you have to have a compatible phone and it uses GPRS to connect to their servers, the advantage is you can download the maps as well to your mobile, have traffic info and auto re-routing depending on traffic, and its updated free for life and not a dodgey copy of some sort
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK