Fiat Coupe Club UK

Hardwired USB Charging

Posted By: Hyperlink

Hardwired USB Charging - 10/03/2009 23:40

Any suggestions for the best way to hardwire a connection to allow charging via a standard USB connection.

I am looking to put a standard female USB connection into the blanking plate for the sunroof switch I just need a easy solution to provide a 5V supply.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 01:17

My way round this would be by using a 'powercan' inverter (£15 from aldi bout a year ago) which has a 240v-150watt socket outlet & a 5v-5oomilliamp female usb outlet-the power lead is coiled and will stretch out to about 1 meter & theres a small switch on the side. Size approx 7in long by 3in diameter.

You could wire a spare fag lighter socket in parallel with snaplock connecters behind the factory fitted one so it hangs out behind the stereo (i have this setup for my snooper so the power lead is hidden and the plug end exits up against screen in the center,comes on with ignition & i dont loose the use of the fag lighter for satnav ect). Or alternately you could run a direct fused feed from battery via a relay switched from ignition live.

Dont know if the inverter would wedge behind stereo though but if so you could reach down to switch on/off so its not running when you dont need it as they do get quite warm more so when using the 240v outlet. Then run a usb male to female extension lead from inverter and mount in console/dash wherever you want.
Obviously dont plug too many/heavy drain items in normal fag lighter when inverter on or you'll blown the fuse which from memory is 10amp.

Hope this helps...rant over! rolleyes
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 01:28

Schwaz, that's a very round about way to achieve a relativity simple task

it was kind of coved in this thread

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post721212

your going to need a clean regulated 5v supply for charging

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 09:28

I was thinking about getting a USB car charger adaptor and hardwiring that into the switched ciggy lighter connection which should cover the 5v supply etc.

I have already hardwired my camera detector but as per the manufacturer manual i just need to cut off the ciggy connection and hardwire to the existing wiring.

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 10:50

"ciggy lighter connection which should cover the 5v supply etc." i was under the impression this was a 12v supply and your sat nav adapter/usb charger did the step down to 5v

having been corrected on this in the past, don't wire anything directly up to the cig lighter as it will supply a dirty 12v+

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 11:10

Yes the ciggy lighter is 12V but the standard voltage as laid down in the USB specs is 5V. Which is why I said I was going to wire in a ciggy to usb car adaptor. wink

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 11:37

that will teach me to read posts correctly! laugh
Posted By: bockers

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 12:55

I though about mounting soemthing tlike this in the gearsick area, maybe instead of that little coin holder. Easily hide the adapter in the space underneath.

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 13:32

thats waht I am planning on doing except I have a male/female cable which I was going to use

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 13:49

thats what i wanted to do and run the cables down the gearbox surround, but i wanted a male connector to actually plug the phone in to

I was thinking of adding a female connector some were towards the top of the dash. i hate cable clutter in the car

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 22:42

quote samsite999: Schwaz, that's a very round about way to achieve a relativity simple task

Yes your right it just came of the top of my head on nights zzz i use my inverter in my van mainly for low power 240v apps,didnt realise you could by a fag lighter usb charger-gob shut from now on!

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 11/03/2009 23:01

don't be silly mate, it was a good idea for higher powered applications,

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 12/03/2009 09:03

easiest would be to get yourself an sigret lichter to usb (power)converter.

take this appart, and hardwire this to for axample the powerfeed of your sigaret lichter socket. seal the made leads and the small converter board that you taken out of the converter.

Job done

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 12/03/2009 10:13

that what i was think mate wink

Re: Hardwired USB Charging - 12/03/2009 22:53

Yes, This cannot really be a problem , usb can only draw 500mA at 5v maximum so this can easily be added to a standard cigarette lighter socket.

Lum
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK