Fiat Coupe Club UK

Broken head or mice?

Posted By: Mags

Broken head or mice? - 12/11/2022 12:01

Hi, I’m new to the forum! I have some experience restoring old cars, and now I want a fiat coupe smile I live in Norway btw.

I’ve been searching thoroughly for an early low mileage coupe. So far two have come up.

#1 has been sitting for 9 years. Ran when parked, and was well kept until then. Cheap paint job. However the storage facility was somewhat damp, so the interior has some mildew. What is worse it that the car has been and still is inhibited by mice. Droppings and chew marks everywhere. Very bad.

#2 similar mileage and general wear. Cheap paint job. Has been sitting 5 years. Engine ran out of oil, and consequently the main and rod bearings were replaced. After the rebuild the owner found that the cam bearings were shot too, and the oil ring on piston 4 is missing a piece. So the engine still needs work or to be replaced.

How hard is it to source an engine for an early 16vT? Or a cylinder head?The 20vT engines seem easier to find, is the swap feasible?
Posted By: clanger

Re: Broken head or mice? - 13/11/2022 12:01

Neither are particularly appealing but if the price is right, based on what you describe and having suffered rodent damage on a vehicle myself, I would choose the engine rebuild.

I won't comment on the engine swap others are more qualified.
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Broken head or mice? - 13/11/2022 14:44

If the rodent damage is not extensive, then I'd opt out for that car. Make sure that the wiring is okay and there are no electrical gremlins (or rodents for that matter), and the rest would only be a cleaning job.

What I am afraid of is corrosion if the storage was damp - so if there are no corrosion marks on the underside, where the boot arches meet the boot floor, also behind the pininfarina side-badges, then you're probably fine.

You can source an engine for 16vt, but they are becoming a bit more difficult to find. Rebuilding your old one, fitting a refurbed head is also an option (you can even find a new head, but it's quite expensive).

Doing a swap should be possible, although I haven't done it. I think the most difficult thing would be reworking the electrical installation of the new engine. Plus, the radiator, air con compressor and electrical controls are different between 20vt and 16vt.

Both engines are quite sensitive to oil starvation. So oil pressures need to be good on hot idle.

Re: Broken head or mice? - 11/12/2022 22:50

Hey! I´m happy to announce I puchased a 97 20v Turbo today! Neither of the ones above. It sat in a barn for 9 years, and will be collected within a week. Exciting times!

It ran when parked, so I´m carefully gonna bring it back to life. I expect to have to go through the brakes and fuel systems, and do a full engine service including timing belt.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Broken head or mice? - 12/12/2022 00:26

Originally Posted by Mags
Hey! I´m happy to announce I puchased a 97 20v Turbo today! Neither of the ones above. It sat in a barn for 9 years, and will be collected within a week. Exciting times!

It ran when parked, so I´m carefully gonna bring it back to life. I expect to have to go through the brakes and fuel systems, and do a full engine service including timing belt.

Great news! Start a new thread either in Coupé Related Chat or better, in Coupé Projects where you can tell us all about your progress smile At the same time you can create a separate Discussion thread for your project where anyone can comment on your work (the actual Project thread is reserved for your posts only smile )

Re: Broken head or mice? - 13/12/2022 17:15

I will!

However, it seems like I´m not authorised to start a ned thread in the projects are.

Re: Broken head or mice? - 14/12/2022 00:10

That's right, you have to send Begbie a PM as per this yellow sticky thread near the top of the project threads wink

How to post a project thread

Re: Broken head or mice? - 21/12/2022 11:25

I did but no luck so far.

Re: Broken head or mice? - 21/12/2022 11:58

Originally Posted by Mags
I did but no luck so far.

I'll give him a nudge smile

Actually he may have been busy elsewhere as he's not logged in since 14th - have patience, I'm sure he'll be back soon.

Re: Broken head or mice? - 21/12/2022 15:26

Great! I'm eager to get going, bringing this back to life

Interior

Attached File
barn find.png  (27 downloads)
Posted By: AyliCarper

Re: Broken head or mice? - 22/12/2022 21:42

That's a great photograph good luck!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK