Fiat Coupe Club UK

what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not

Posted By: Anonymous

what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 15/03/2008 22:50

I test drove a year 2000 20v turbo plus today (thinking of buying), but was not impressed by it at all! didnt feel a turbo kick as claimed by many, felt like a NA engine, plus the clutch was high. is it normal for the clutch to release high? usually a good clutch wud bite and transfer power to gear at relatively low height (before midpoint height). this felt a bit high i.e 3/4 way and was heavy for feet to step.

I am comparing with my 180bhp audi tt. I feel i get more boost power(g force) feel in my audi tt compared to the coupe when accelerating. torque on my audi felt much much better.

What could be the problem? the car has been regularly serviced at Fiat dealer every 10k kms, and the timing belt was changed at 70k kms. The clutch master cylinder was changed recently (approx a year). Owner not sure if teh actual cluch plate was changed together but presumed so. He claims that from day 1 from new, the clutch height was high.

Please help as I am contemplating purchasing this car. these are rare in my country, so i do not have choice of looking at another.

comments/advice appreciated
Posted By: daithi28

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 15/03/2008 23:02

Clutch pedal on mine was always high. Clutch pedal itself is heavier than any other car I've driven, but you get used to it.

If you want to test if the clutch is on its way out, go on a testdrive and cruise at 50mph in 4th gear. Plant the pedal to the floor but look at the rev counter. If the needle rises in rpm for a sec or so before the power kicks in, it's a aure sign that the clutch is worn. The rev needle shouldn't rise.

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 15/03/2008 23:18

but what about accelaration power? it didnt impress me at all. cud it be th turbo not working? wud a computer check tell this?

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 15/03/2008 23:19

if the weather is fine (=> good grip) you should feel strong kick after 3k rpm on all gears and sometimes another closer to 5k rpm (overboost). cluthes are heavy but not too much

computer check won`t tell you anything about turbo. there could be different boost leaks, problems with air flow sensor, dying turbo itself..

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 15/03/2008 23:45

Lack of turbo kick could be one of thousands of things. Really needs to be examined by an expert mechanic or tuner.

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 15/03/2008 23:45

Isn't the turbo much more progressive on the 20vt as apposed to the mad kick on the 16vt?

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo not - 16/03/2008 00:08

Originally Posted By: DidCoop
Isn't the turbo much more progressive on the 20vt as apposed to the mad kick on the 16vt?

Yes, but it should feel stronger than 180hp TT.

Re: what are symptoms of clutch wearing off? turbo - 16/03/2008 20:46

Originally Posted By: DidCoop

Not if it's got a GTiR turbo \:D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK