Fiat Coupe Club UK

Newbie question about 20vt gearboxes

Posted By: X19_pilot

Newbie question about 20vt gearboxes - 04/10/2009 17:03

Hi all,

Newbie here and looking to change my weekend toy from an X19 to a 20v Turbo. cool

I have tried searching but not had much look in finding out what the differences are between the 5 speed 6 speed versions. Can anyone tell me what the differences are in terms of acceleration, noise levels at cruising speeds in top gear, desirability, drivability etc (and dare I say it.... fuel consumption rolleyes)?

Am I right in thinking that 6 speeds were introduced in 2000?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Newbie question about 20vt gearboxes - 04/10/2009 17:10

i'm no expert by any means but it is my understanding that there is not much noticeable difference at all - i've had a 5 and a 6 speed coop and there's a few more mpg to be had with the 6 speed, not much else to report....
Posted By: MrCooper

Re: Newbie question about 20vt gearboxes - 04/10/2009 18:00

500 rpm less at 70 mph with the 6 speed box.

The owners manual says that with the 6 speed box you can set off in second unless you are facing uphill. This strikes me as guff.

The cars with the 6 speed boxes tend to be more desireable, particularly the Plus - although the LE and [6] are also more sought after than the standard car.
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Newbie question about 20vt gearboxes - 04/10/2009 21:11

How many more threads about 6 speed vs 5 speeds are we going to have. this must be about the fourth within the last couple of weeks
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK