Fiat Coupe Club UK

Classic car premiums

Posted By: growlingbear

Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 14:16

Renewal time and the best quote so far is Adrian Flux £483. I get hammered for being a Journalist. Otherwise standard stuff: 44, 3k a year garaged etc.
I did have an interesting chat with one broker who said the Coupe was on the brink of switching from a "modern car" to a "classic". This would bring in a premium around £250-£300 he said. Anyone managed to get the coupe classed as "classic" yet?
Personally I think its still in the "modern" bracket, because a fair few, particularly younger drivers are still using it as day to day transport...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 14:18

Should be able to get a P plate on classic now.

Re: Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 14:35

Mine's an X

Re: Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 14:52

Neil Willies - They can insure as a classic. Give them a call.

Ross

Re: Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 15:45

Worth a go thanks.
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 21:01

I had a quote from Classic line, 4000 miles for £256 just last week, but I needed access to another car, which I have but not on a regular basis so I didnt want to risk getting caught out by any loop holes.
Anything over 10 years old qualifies as a "Classic" with most classic policies, but no claims can not be accumulated. Cheap as chips but just be aware of the small print. Neil Willies also offer a "sports car" policy which I found to sit in between a normal fully comp policy and a classic policy.

Went with More thn in the end, £468 with my Dad on as a named driver. I am 32 with 9+ years NCD, garaged and no convictions btw. Shop around.... it pays! smile
Posted By: JLow75

Re: Classic car premiums - 11/04/2011 21:10

I've got my 97/P 20VT on a classic policy:

I'm with Footman James, about £200 a year - but I must have insurance on another 'main use' car as such & have a 5000 mile a year mileage limitation & the car must also be Garaged.

As said above, there is no no-claims discount on classic policies.

I have a Punto as my main daily commute & have my no-claims discount on that policy

Personally I don't think I would have 1 only-use car on a classic policy, as above you would have to read the small print

Re: Classic car premiums - 13/04/2011 12:39

Originally Posted By: X19_pilot
I had a quote from Classic line, 4000 miles for £256 just last week, but I needed access to another car, which I have but not on a regular basis so I didnt want to risk getting caught out by any loop holes.

Classic Line is on the panel of insurers that we use at Neil Willies so probably better to come via us and then we can iron out any potential problems you may have.

Thanks
Sarah

Re: Classic car premiums - 15/04/2011 09:57

£274 with Neil Willies. Woo hoo. That will take some beating!!!

Re: Classic car premiums - 19/04/2011 19:04

£176 from Heritage without no claims protection 1500 miles per year, garaged, age 40+ 9 years NCB. The benefit of being slightly older.

Re: Classic car premiums - 20/04/2011 07:24

I am with neil Willies. Sarah sorted me out a sports car policy for my 20vt as I wanted to keep my no claims on her. No claims protected and kept on roadside 5,000 miles a year £340

Re: Classic car premiums - 21/04/2011 00:19

Sarah at Niel Willies sorted me a Classic car insurance deal 5k miles a year, free break down cover for £360.
And I dont have to use my no claims bonus for this policy, so I have insured my 2nd car with it.
Posted By: daithi28

Re: Classic car premiums - 21/04/2011 13:57

I've classic insurance with Footman James, £288 fully comp, 3,500 miles per year, garaged with 1 named driver and agreed value on the car.

Re: Classic car premiums - 13/07/2011 17:29

Make sure you read the small print on ANY policy!!
After selling my car I tried to cancel my policy thinking I may be in for a 6 month refund!! NOPE frown.. Due to the low premiums they dont allow any refund if you cancel the policy early. I fully understand why but I'm sure some people won't agree.. Therefore that this into account if you are likely to change you car..
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Classic car premiums - 13/07/2011 19:44

I have stopped specifically looking for a classic policy.
As long as it is a second car, you're doing < 5000 miles, and it is not for business use the good premiums come anyway by searching out all the deals on moneysupermarket or whatever.
Putting the wife on also reduces the premium a bit.

Re: Classic car premiums - 14/07/2011 09:41

Originally Posted By: Fullpint
Make sure you read the small print on ANY policy!!

Can I just say that we highlight there may be no refund due if the policy is cancelled in our quotation letter, our cover letter and our renewal letter, regardless of how you pay and this has been standard for at least the last 6 months or so. In addition to this all policies with us regardless of when they were taken out were at the quotation stage/cover stage confirmed in writing to policyholders along with the insurers policy summary which did also detail this. I have also seen it detailed on the actual policy schedule in some cases, that due to the nature of the policy there would be no refund if cancelled, so you cannot say this is 'small print'. We do not hide this from customers.

For those that do not know the reasoning why this is the case then let me explain it.........Classic Car Insurance offers very low premiums in the first instance in view of them being limited mileage policies, usually not needing evidence of no claims bonus as well, so the no claims bonus you have earnt can be used on your first car, so saving you having to pay higher premiums due to this etc and the insurers feel that if they were to provide refunds on these policies then unfortunately they would have many customers take a policy out to benefit from the heavily discounted premiums and then when they reach their annual mileage limit they would simply cancel the policy and obtain a refund.

As standard most 'normal' everyday motor policies do not follow the 'pro-rata' cancellation scale one would expect and they usually follow a short period scale of cancellation for example: 1 months cover 25% or 30% of premium charged, 8 months cover 100% charge. Those that do calculate a pro-rata refund do this plus a standard admin fee, so can work out similar to the short period cancellation fee in some cases.

At the end of the day look at it this way: you are actually signing up and taking out a 12 month contract with the insurers and therefore when you cancel this you are infact breaking the contract, and I am sure most, if not all contracts if broken have cancellation clauses built into them.

Regards
Sarah

© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK