Fiat Coupe Club UK

Dash cam

Posted By: Anonymous

Dash cam - 29/01/2016 21:15

Not sure if anybody has considered a dash cam to lower the insurance costs.... Might make a good addition to alarm and tracker for getting the cost down.

Has anybody managed to reduce there insurance with a dash cam ?

Re: Dash cam - 30/01/2016 00:30

I have got into the habit of driving with an app on my iPhone recording my drive.
For my inner insurance and just crazy/interesting stuff that happens.
Quick google suggests 10% off using approved cameras with a few companies. Making a return in the next year maybe.
Regardless of saving a few quid and being sucked into an insurance ploy, it's a good idea.
I downloaded the app when there were only a handful of cams available. Now, maplins/halfords cameras are the first thing you see when you walk in.

Re: Dash cam - 31/01/2016 10:13

Shell garages are selling them for £19.99 at participating garages.

The one on Pontypool roundabout had a few left last week when I popped in to fill up the coop with Optimax smile
Posted By: JLow75

Re: Dash cam - 21/02/2018 12:08

Cheap dash cams are rubbish - always locking up/stopping, you never know if they are recording or not! You need to spend 3 figures for a real good reliable one. or...

I use my phone and an app called 'Autoguard' which has a premium upgrade for not much.

It's really good & can be set to background recording, means it carries on recording even with the screen lock on or other apps in use, sat nav etc.

I put mine to the LH side of the rearview mirror - high up on a decent holder.

And obviously whilst it's there doing an invaluable job -- it stays there for the duration of the journey with no touching it wink
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Dash cam - 28/02/2018 14:32

I think they are a great idea helping provide a prima facie case against you the driver should you encounter law enforcement after a traffic violation and they seize said device as evidence pertaining to that/or any other offence.

Re: Dash cam - 10/04/2018 07:50

I fitted one to Rosa at restoration, had a shunt a few years back, should have gone knock for knock, but the other driver lied, I couldn't prove it. Was tempted to hunt the b*****d down, knew where he lived, thought better of it. The insurer I had at the time said they would have fought my case if I had dashcam evidence.

It is wired into the Centre console Android device (AV iN) I fitted, means I can view the files inside the car if needed.

John
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK