Fiat Coupe Club UK

Who will be cheapest

Posted By: MrCooper

Who will be cheapest - 31/10/2009 17:11

Well, it's that time of year again.

Things did not start too well with most quotes coming in well over £1000 again. Even Adrian Flux were quoting me over a grand, including the discount for IAM / FCCUK membership.

The best on result on confused.com was Admiral at £735, surprisingly competitive as in previous years these mainstream insurers have been nowhere. Still, that price was nothing to shout about as it is quite a bit more than I'm paying at the moment and I was hoping that, having turned 30 and become an IAM member, I would be in for a healthy drop in costs.

Happily Greenlight made an offer of £640, which was more like it, but in the same ballpark as my current fees. Admiral then called to see if their quote was competitive. I went through the details, told them about Greenlight and asked them what they could do about it. They offered to match it but, after a bit of cajoling, agreed that they could differentiate on price and moved to £620. Better.

Noel Dazley have not given me a renewal quote yet but said they thought I would do well not to see an increase in premium. They apparently don't want to do anything for a couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see what they can manage this year.

So, for the first time I have three insurance companies interested in getting my business, including a major player for the first time (in previous years ND have been the standout winners after round one).

Still to get in touch with IAM Surety, but I have reservations about whether they will offer me anything sensible.

Any tips on how to encourage them to differentiate themselves once a cash winner has been found? Also, any thoughts on where this should end up in terms of costs?

Steve

- Coupe VT Plus (Group 20)
- London
- 30 years
- 3 years NCB
- 2 named drivers (partner, 27 and father, 64)
- Fully comp (£350 excess)
- No accidents
- No points

Re: Who will be cheapest - 04/11/2009 15:59

Got some movement. Now down to £582 through a broker with KGM Lloyds.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who will be cheapest - 05/11/2009 17:04

I have just renewed with Elephant.
NCB: 9 years
Accidents: 1 claim £800
All mods declared: Stainless Steel Exhaust, Gtec chip, induction kit, uprated brakes.
My mum, 55 NHS manager and my dad 59 company director as named drivers.

£391 FC

Re: Who will be cheapest - 05/11/2009 19:47

Elephant were c£750 for me.

Thanks for the post - gives me something as a comparator. By the way, when I was 28 (and with the same details as above) my premium was £700!

Suppose its your postcode and NCB that make up most of the difference? Not sure what variant you own but I guess you are Group 18 as opposed to 20, which probably makes a difference too?

Re: Who will be cheapest - 05/11/2009 19:51

Asked ND to provide a written renewal quote by CoB today. Although they called to say they have a good price, they have failed to put anything in writing so I think I'll have to put them out of the picture.

Re: Who will be cheapest - 05/11/2009 21:18

just had a quote of £550 from direct line

20vt 1999

5 years no claims
25 years old

Re: Who will be cheapest - 05/11/2009 22:45

Direct line were about £1.5k for me unfortunately!
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Who will be cheapest - 06/11/2009 10:07

its you location thats going to go against you here frown

im 26
5 years NCB
no accidents/clames/points
All mods declared, wheels, skirts, paintwork ect
insured for 4k
£425

Its cheep as I live in the middle of no where

Re: Who will be cheapest - 07/11/2009 18:04

True, London is a big negative. However, I've been looking at this and I think that the car being group 20 rather than a 18 is a big chunk as well.

Should have got a VT!

Re: Who will be cheapest - 17/11/2009 18:13

Grinding my way downwards.

ND's initial offer having heard that the competition was well below last year's price was £570.

Best quote now sitting pretty at £510, but will be interested to see what ND can do.

Re: Who will be cheapest - 17/11/2009 19:27

ND were best for me,they got undercut for renewal so they just dropped there price to be cheapest.
£495 for me in North Wales

Re: Who will be cheapest - 19/11/2009 21:38

ND can't do any better than £570, so it looks like I'll be leaving them for the first time since getting the coupe.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK