Fiat Coupe Club UK

Points on licence and insurance

Posted By: Anonymous

Points on licence and insurance - 03/05/2006 02:21

Ive been getting conflicting answers on this all day so i thought i would put it to the panel...

How long do pints stay on you licence for?
Alot of people are saying after 3 years and you dont have to announce them or they leave your licence after three years... where as when looking for insurance you have to announce anything within the last 5 years.

Any ideas??
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Points on licence and insurance - 03/05/2006 05:03

Well just to confuse you I think it's the other way round

I think they stay on your licence for 5 years but your insurance only asks for points or claims in the last three years. Could be wrong though

Re: Points on licence and insurance - 03/05/2006 05:58

Some insurers ask for previous 3 years and some previous 5 years. Can be different for both points and claims etc.
Posted By: JimO

Re: Points on licence and insurance - 03/05/2006 13:31

They stay on your license for 3 years, the courts can refer to them for another year and the insurance companies can do what the hell they like to screw a few more pound from you
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: Points on licence and insurance - 03/05/2006 17:04

Most points stay on for 3 years, but some (i.e. points relating to drink driving offences) can last longer.

After 3 years the points no longer count towards a totting up ban, but you can not have them removed from your licence for an extra year and there is a charge for having them removed.

Insurance companies, as Jim says, can ask about as long a period as they like, but most choose 5 years.

Re: Points on licence and insurance - 05/05/2006 18:57

I got my first ever 3 points last July - average speed between 2 cameras on the M1 road works. I declared them to my insurer and they confirmed that they stay on your license for 3 years but most insurance companies want to know of any points received in the last 5 years. They'll then use that against you if you get more points in your fourth or fifth year.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK