Fiat Coupe Club UK

Highly modified 20VT Plus

Posted By: Nigel

Highly modified 20VT Plus - 03/05/2018 20:08

I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing the right thing here, but here goes..... cry

I bought my Moon Grey Plus in July 2010 with just 24,500 miles on it, after my previous Sprint Blue succumbed to rust. Mechanically, the Sprinty was 100%, so all the modified parts were transferred over to the Moonie. I then proceeded to use it as a daily driver for three more years until I realised the costs were too high (I was doing 20,000 miles a year). In 2013 I retired it as a daily driver and used it for weekends and occasional blasts. It is now down to about 1,000 miles a year.

This is surely one of the best-known and best-resolved Coupes on the forum. The way it is now is the result of seven years development in the Sprint Blue and another five years with the Moonie. I set out to create the quickest Coupe in the country (note, not the fastest or the most powerful) by blending huge power with sublime handling and good grip and traction. Those that have been around the forum long enough will know how much effort has gone into this car - stuff like the subframe brace and the Brembo two-piece floating discs are just a couple of examples of me spending time and money to make significant improvements to the car.

Put quite simply:-
  • It will potter around town quite happily
  • It will cruise on the motorway in (relative) comfort
  • It will return 34mpg fully loaded on a cruise to LeMans and back
  • It will run a standing quarter mile in less than 12.5 seconds
  • It will do 0-100 in about 9.5 seconds
  • More impressively, it will do 60-120 in about 7.5 seconds
  • top speed is "unknown", but estimated at 180-190 if I could ever find anywhere long enough to try

The basic details:

1999 Moon Grey 20 valve Turbo Plus
Usual Plus extras such as red-stitched leather Recaros, white clocks, boot nets etc
About 83,000 miles
MOT to March 2019
Full service history, although its due a service and a cambelt right now

Condition - 9/10. It was actually VERY good until I did a charity track day at Bruntingthorpe, during which it got a strong dose of gravel-rash from tailing exotica at 160mph. The front end in particular is looking tired - the front bumper and bonnet are pretty badly stone-chipped and will require paint to correct. The leading edge of the bonnet is bubbling slightly, but is easily catchable. One of the side-skirts has a scuff. One of the rear light rings is bubbling slightly. There are a few very minor parking dings. All of these defects are nothing untoward for a 19 year old car with 83k on it.

The modification list is extensive - this is the list, complete with the cost for the parts only:-

Engine
Accralite 83mm high-CR Forged pistons - £800
Cunningham forged con rods - £800
Columbo & Bariani High-lift cams - £600
Ported & Polished head, 3-angle inlet valve seats. - £500
Garrett GTX3071R turbo inc billet comp wheel - £1100
3" downpipe - £160
Downpipe heat wrapping - £50
Longlife 3" exhaust - £300
"Live" mapping - £2000
Siemens 630cc injectors - £200
3.8 bar Fuel Pressure regulator - £50
NGK BKR8EIX Iridium plugs - £60
Walbro 255 fuel pump - £80
ProAlloy induction pipe - £80
Ramair air filter - £60
ProAlloy front mount Intercooler - £450
Helix organic clutch & coverplate - £600
Short-shift - £75
Forge DV006 dump valve - £85
Custom MAF sensor housing - £100
Quaife ATB differential - £600
Blitz SBC-IDIII Boost controller - £300
Vibra Techics 'fast-road' engine mounts - £350
PowerFlex steady-bar bush - £20
Fuel pump direct power feed - £40

Chassis
Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 17" alloys - £500
Brembo floating discs - £600
Pagid RS29 front brake pads - £220
HEL braided brake hoses - £75
Osrav KGA shock absorbers - £600
Eibach uprated springs (-25mm) - £150
Novitec 23mm rear anti-roll bar - £80
Custom lower subframe brace - £100
Welded front subframe - £150
Uprated wishbone bushes - £150

Cosmetics / body
Aluminium rear light rings & side repeater rings - £50

Interior

Aluminium dial rings - £50
Aluminium speaker rings - £25
Aluminium centre console rings - £30

ICE
Clarion FB289RBT head unit - £120
Infiniti Kappa front component speakers - £100
Infiniti Reference rear speakers - £100
PioneerTS-WX11A slimline 200W subwoofer - £250

other
35w HID headlamps - £75

Along with all the other odds and sods, that's about £13,000 in parts alone. I conservatively estimate that the labour bill (Mostly Motormech) for all the above is at least another £10,000

It has been suggested that I'll make more money by breaking the car for the tuning parts - not a chance! - I want this car to go to someone who will carry on throwing the attention (and money) at it that I've done over the years

To give you an idea of the effort that went into the engine build - standard Coupe 20VT rod and piston assemblies are balanced to within 20 grams of each other. Paul balanced the Accralite pistons and Cunningham rods to within 0.5 grams. Its attention to detail like this that makes the difference between a powerful Coupe and a one with reliable power.

The result of all the engine mods is a peak of 488bhp at 7,200rpm using 1.6 bar (raised rev limiter due to the balanced internals). Torque was 378 lb-ft at 6,200 rpm. The car briefly made over 500bhp on the dyno, but this was a bit close to the limit, so it was backed off to something that would be reliable.

Its also making 200bhp at 4,000rpm, 300bhp at 4,750rpm and 400bhp at 5,600rpm

A gauge of the performance is that at Bruntingthorpe, it pulled away from an Audi RS6 C5, a Porsche 911 GT3 and an early Nissan GTR (admittedly, the GT3 whupped my ass round the corners...)

The handling has to be experienced to be believed. With the Quaife diff, it corners like a RWD car - just feed it in and when the understeer starts, feed in more power and it just pulls round. I've had many positive comments from drivers of fairly exotic stuff about just how well it handles. The chassis spec is the same as the Sprint Blue, in which I won the FWD handling class at Ten of the Best two years running.

Other than the paintwork issues I've mentioned above, the only negatives I can think of are:-
  • Aircon not working - it was working when I laid it up for winter, so almost certainly just needs a re-gas
  • Tyres are, well, tired. They are Toyo T1-R and they are four years old. It really needs something better - if I keep the car, I'll fit Yoko AD08R or Toyo R1-R
  • There are a few squeaks and rattles - just can't be bothered to track them down
  • Cold start can be a pain - it needs 30-60 seconds without touching the throttle before it can be driven away without a misfire - could ideally do with a bit more mapping to smooth it out.

I've also spent a lot of time and effort making the car look close to standard and as comfortable as possible. For example, the entire interior is covered in self-adhesive closed-cell foam to dampen the general road noise. The sound system is very well-sorted, with great speakers, a subtle flat sub in the boot and very crisp and clear sound.

By separate negotiation, I can also include a substantial stock of spares, including:-
  • brand-new OE Plus cam cover - never been fitted
  • Set of OE plus wheels - freshly refurbed - never had tyres fitted
  • Three large boxes of various parts - ECU and lock-set, spare lights, loads of interior plastics and other hard-to-get bits

So - the hard bit - price....

With good paint, I reckon a Coupe with this much performance is worth £15k all day long. Heck, there are standard Coupes (with admittedly better paintwork) fetching £10k+

So - taking the fact that it needs paint into account, I've set the price accordingly at £12,500. I've had a quote for £2k for a complete respray (by the chap that's done loads of Coupes over the years, including an Auto Italia concours winner)

Weirdly, I have very few photos of the car - here's three that I can lay my hands on

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Note - the final image has been doctored to clean up some of the stone-chips

There's LOADS more I can tell to anyone that's interested - I'm happy to possible buyers a passenger ride and even a drive on proof of insurance (and the understanding that if you break it, you buy it!)

Oh God - what am I doing?......

Final caveat - I might get cold feet and withdraw from the sale when I come to my senses
Posted By: cherryredbenj

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/05/2018 22:26

Pmd

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/05/2018 13:35

replied smile
Posted By: LuisFilipe

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 11/05/2018 08:06

Your car, for this price itīs almost free, just for all the parts it as, itīs a bargain.

If it didnīt have the steering wheel on the wrong side laugh i would buy it for sure.

Itīs the cheapest way of having a 500hp car with style.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 24/05/2018 07:26

Is the power level putting people off? I can turn the boost down if nearly 500bhp is daunting - I think it gives about 400bhp on base boost wink

Clearly, pricing a car like this is extremely difficult, and clearly, I have a very biased view of what I think the car is worth, but I'd genuinely be interested to hear people's thoughts on what is putting people off

I really don't want to sell this car on Ebay to someone with more money than sense - it will end up stuffed into the scenery or blown to bits through ragging it to death. If I can't sell it to a Coupe enthusiast, I'll just keep it

What I really need is for someone to test drive it - as soon as they do, they'll almost certainly buy it
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 24/05/2018 11:32

I think the issue is modification or at least another person's choice of modification, if you want 500bhp for £13k then it is brilliant value for money.

If you want an unmolested vanilla example of OE spec, less so. A decent basic 20vt is still circa £3-5K, the LE and Plus models perhaps twice that at most; the higher priced car's seem to take a fair old while to sell. Given the average punter sees a 20vt snottter for £1500 on eBay that looks great why would they pay up to x8's for the 'same thing'? The demand may not be there for huge power or big money Coupes for those who want their own journey with a Coupe?
Posted By: DavidRobot

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 24/05/2018 16:44

My 2p worth is that itís fantastic value, but ultimately only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It seems that lots of people what a coupe for a couple of k and therefore all specs are worth the same to these people. I expect that itíll take a while to sell, if I were in your position I would hang onto it until I got the price I wanted.

Iíve already had numerous people tell me that I was crazy to spend what I did on Nismoís old coupe, but life is short and Iíd rather regret doing something than not!
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 24/05/2018 18:25

From a fiat coupe enthusiast point of view ,the feelings must be split.
Coupe purists will not be interested I imagine but from a tuning point of view it's nigh on the holy grail.
The years of dedication and effort let alone money makes this coupe a very attractive buy.
The only negative is that it's Nigel's coupe and it should stay his as its only him that keeps it the way it is.
Anyone else will cloud9 it up.
It's to powerful for the track days I do with mine and it would be dead quickly.

Keep the coupe Nigel.
Enjoy it for as long as you are able and pass it on to your lads when they can respect and handle it.
Posted By: H_R

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 25/05/2018 05:46

I would say the reason high priced coupes are slow to sell, is because there are so many tatty cheap coupes out there and there are always a few on ebay at the same time!

I think another couple of years and the cheap ones will either be gone or done up pushing the price up a bit more

I still think the price is reasonable for your car Nigel but it is a Niche market and difficult to compare to any Ford RS etc.

Im sure it will sell if you really want it to!
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 25/05/2018 11:50

I feel the Coupe currently has no 'real' market desirability or demand, I agree that may well change in the future, and the near to OE spec cars will be the one's that will at the top.
Posted By: JLow75

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 15/06/2018 13:27

I'd buy this tomorrow if I had the money smile
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 18/06/2018 12:38

I suspect the issue maybe that people are split Nigel as magooagain mentions.

Coupe fans often seem to want a standard car- and you have taken yours to the nth degree. If your interested in tuning - yours doesn't want for anything. And it's one to be driven rather then polished and made a garage queen.

Modern Petrol Heads - I'm not sure they really know or get what the coup is. And tend to think of Japanese cars for BIG tuning.

I've been reading the "in a few years the coup will be seen as a future classic" for 10 years or so - and prices are only now just starting to rise.

No question there is a buyer out there for yours Nigel - although maybe the forum is not the only place to advertise.

More pictures will help - your not showing her in all her glory I think.

Are you still sure you want to sell her? Maybe its a sign?....

Best wishes,

MM
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 18/06/2018 19:55

Agree, I'm sure more pictures would help.
Posted By: technics

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 20/06/2018 18:44

I also think the car market is very slow at the moment for some reason.
Im selling a car at the mo (not a coupe) and have had some texts and ebay messages but no viewings.
Also as Im not sure what I want next ive been looking at many many cars on Pistonheads and Ebay and what I think is a good car at a good price is (9 times out of 10) still available 4,5 even 6 weeks down the line......

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 21/06/2018 06:43

I'm under no illusions that I'm pitching to a very narrow market - I expect that if the car sells, it will be to someone that has been around the forum for quite a while and knows the history of the car.

I agree that my advert is a bit lazy - I really need to give the car a damn good clean and polish and get some decent photos - its on my list of things to do, but sunny Sundays are an excuse to take the Westfield out for a blast, so car cleaning tends to come in second place.....

I might look into making a short video of the speedo needle at 1.6 bar in 3rd gear - that should help illustrate how the car goes about its business...

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 08:58

I found three more photos - taken at Auto Italia Stanford Hall in 2015

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

If you zoom in on the first image, you'll see the state of the front bumper and also the slight bubbling on the front edge of the bonnet. If you want to be REALLY critical, you'll also see the very start of a tiny bit of bubbling on the front wheelarch - the rears probably have a similar amount

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 09:02

Also found the dyno plots for max boost (with and without the ECU safety measures)

488bhp at 1.6 bar with safety on, and just over 500bhp with safety off

Naturally, the ECU runs with all safety measures enabled

click to enlarge
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 10:20

I think the bodywork and cold start issues would put most people off at your price point Nigel.
The car looks a little unloved even though it has been well cared for and most people spending in excess of 10k on a coupe will want it to be near mint body wise, regardless of how much work has been done on it.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 10:59

Fair comments Daz, but if the bodywork was mint, the price would be a couple of grand higher....
Posted By: elder81

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 11:04

Anyone else finding the pictures are too large to easily view onscreen?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 11:52

Originally Posted By Nigel
Fair comments Daz, but if the bodywork was mint, the price would be a couple of grand higher....

I think it would sell quicker at a higher price if the bodywork was done. Potential buyers may be looking at it thinking it's going to cost them 3 or 4k to get painted and then the aircon needs sorting and the mapping etc....
If I were looking for one at that kind of money (irrespective of modifications) I would want the bodywork to be mint or very near mint. The mechanical stuff wouldn't bother me.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 12:05

Originally Posted By elder81
Anyone else finding the pictures are too large to easily view onscreen?

Yes, they are pretty big - I'll re-size them

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/06/2018 12:10

Re-sized images

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 25/06/2018 07:26

To follow up on some comments earlier in this thread that it wasn't very "photo-heavy", I took the car out for a quick blat yesterday, after I'd washed a month's worth of dust and tree sap off it

Looks quite good in the evening sun....

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Full-size images, in case you want to check out the gravel-rash on the front bumper.....

Piccy 1

Piccy 2

Piccy 3
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 29/06/2018 21:08

Sitting behind a retina screen here so they are perfect for me laugh

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 14/07/2018 10:08

OK, after a couple of enquiries, itís clear that my price is a bit too strong, given that the car needs a little cosmetic work to make it perfect.

So - two changes

1) the car will come with a fresh cam belt service, making it good for another three years

2) price reduction to reflect the front-end paintwork issues

Price is now £10,995

The alternative is that Iíd be willing to negotiate the inclusion of some or all of the spares package Iíve accumulated over the years - probably a couple of grands worth of bits.

I REALLY donít want to put it on EBay, as Iíll get loads of idiotic enquiries from time-wasting tyre-kickers. I would also like the car to go to someone that knows about Coupes who is capable of treating it properly.

If it doesnít sell at this price, I will find somewhere to store it until I can afford a house with a triple garage.....
Posted By: SJ2004

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 20/09/2018 21:54

Hi Nigel,

Firstly, if I was in the market I would jump at the chance to agree ownership of your moonie. I either need to wait to claim my 25% retirement pot at 55 (15 years away), or win a little on the lottery. So sorry, but not for me now.

Not being mechanically minded, I'd need a good independent to look after it - especially given the modifications - so this is one factor. Graham Eddy at Long Rock (Penzance) would be my nearest, and he seems to have a good reputation for this.

Anyway, the point of this post is to tell you to keep the car, don't drop the price any lower as I think it's fair - and if you can afford to, keep it for some years to come. The right buyer will come along at the right time; even if it's a 15 year wait for me to revisit this forum/post!

I remember seeing my first ever coop; and it was a 20vt turbo moonie - parked up next to the Camel Trail in Bodmin, Cornwall. I was only 24 or 25 at the time, but my jaw dropped to the floor. I ended up buying a 16v (NA) red coop in 2004 - and still to this day, it was my favourite car I have ever owned. I loved the handling, the way I could throw it into a corner, the way I could get it to slide around a roundabout, and collect it effortlessly and with a 60 mile smile on my face. I loved finding the limit, going over it when I wanted fun, having 3 heavy mates in the back and seeing how it affected handling (!!) and just generally the fun of it. Then I upgraded the interior to black leather which was lovely. However it succumbed to old age and unreliability - the alternator went, which for some dumb reason I never replaced (price maybe), I ended up carrying a second battery to do a quick battery change which I remember getting it down to under 4 minutes. I even succumbed to a very boring renault laguna (yuck) which became my daily driver. But I still kept the coop. I remember even in my dating days with my better half/now wife, taking her out on dates and loving the car/noise, and then promptly breaking down on a dark Cornish road - doing the regular battery change - and she still married me! And luckily, at one point I did own a Ferrari 348 - of which the noise was simply pure perfection - burble, acceleration, tunnel or no tunnel - but that was an expensive and stressful car to own and drive - I hated the feel of paint on the roads - feeling every bump and line as I drove over it - and the backend I rarely got our - maybe 2 or 3 times - which was stupidly and genuinely heart in mouth scary. I really did miss the coop as it failed - but the two parked up side by side complimented each other. Anyway I happily sold the ferrari just before I got married, but had to scrap the coop (CRY) as the engine blew and left a big puddle of black oily tears underneath, and I ended up with a Mini.

Anyway, the whole point of this is that I havent posted here in probably a decade, but I occasionally pop by once or twice a year to view the cars for sale, thinking one day, out of all the cars I've seen I would love to be lucky enough to one day to own a coop again (albeit a well sorted one). The only other car to ever truly catch my attention was an Alfa GTV V6 (with cup kit), but I would need a double garage as the coop would be top. Anyway maybe one day....

So the end message is - hang in there, don't drop the price (although I would sort out the cold idle and paint issues etc if you get the chance) - and maybe one day - either myself or the right buyer will pop into FCCUK, and offer to take ownership of your moonie from you. There's very few coops I would ever consider owning, and I would like to think I have experienced/driven/seen some nice cars from hot hatches to track days and Italian exotics, but your moonie DOES stand out. Keep in there Nigel! wink

'SJ2004' (Cornwall)

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/09/2018 08:50

Interesting - thanks for the story - I had actually come onto this thread to reduce the price another £1k, but Iíve now decided against it.

I drove it a week or so ago and I remembered why I love it - utterly ballistic and the handling is sublime. It desperately needs tyres as it span up in third in the dry, but thatís an easy fix

Iíve just changed jobs (actually, the existing boss doesnít know yet - telling him on Monday). The new commute is just ten miles and 20 minutes, so I might just leave the GT diesel at home and use the Coupe

So, unless someone is on the verge of making me a sensible offer, Iím going to bale out and keep it for a while longer
Posted By: GraemeC

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/10/2018 13:31

Nigel, best of luck with the sale, I am sorely tempted - don't suppose you'd consider an RX8 PZ in part ex :-)

I've not been on the forum for ages (still regret selling my sprinty) and only popped in as Fishy Dave has surfaced on the RX8 owners club forum pitching an RX8 racing series (another temptation and another potential car purchase - my RX8 is too good to turn into a track car yet...)

For anyone new to this form, Nigel's cars are legendary and Motormech are very well respected specialists (thanks Paul for running me back to the station at 10pm on a Thu night and having my car back by Sat - still much appreciated years later!)

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 03/10/2018 12:22

Originally Posted By GraemeC
don't suppose you'd consider an RX8 PZ in part ex :-)

Hi Graeme - good to hear from you after all these years

My aim is to reduce the number of cars on the drive - Wifey would have a fit if I moved the Coupe on and came back with something else

My Westfield is now my "tinkering interest" - I'm really enjoying repeating what I did with the Coupe - a general programme of improvements over a period of time.

I can genuinely see why some people spend years and fortunes restoring an old car, only to sell it when they've finished. Its the journey, not the destination, and I think my journey with Coupes is coming to an end
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 03/10/2018 15:01

Not sure how logical this is but I'm sort of relieved you've eventually come around to keeping it. Manoeuvring through the whole process of difficult decision, write-up, posts and counter-posts, interest and discussion has apparently been your route to changing your mind, and it doesn't seem quite right that having spent all that time modifying it you pass it on to someone else!
Posted By: Taz

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 11/10/2018 15:02

cool
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/11/2018 09:01

I'm glad you've decided to keep it too Nigel. Yours is genuinely the only Coupe I've seen in the flesh and liked. Everything was so crisp and tidy yet I knew it was a monster underneath. You always called the Coop a 'Gauntlet in a silk glove' and yours is probably the best example of that on here. It was the inspiration to really start tidying mine up after visiting your workshop when you had one of those clearance weekends. It's a part of you now, you can never sell it nono

[quote=GraemeC]
My Westfield is now my "tinkering interest" - I'm really enjoying repeating what I did with the Coupe - a general programme of improvements over a period of time.

I can genuinely see why some people spend years and fortunes restoring an old car, only to sell it when they've finished. Its the journey, not the destination, and I think my journey with Coupes is coming to an end

On that note, I've decided to get mine back on the road. Aside from straight line performance, the Golf is a better car in every measurable way, but it's hopelessly outclassed in every other way. I had more fun starting the coop and turning it around on the drive the other day than I've had in the Golf since February.

I've already started my list of things to do and I've got a smile on my face writing this. I cannot wait to start tinkering again laugh

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/11/2018 09:51

The car is now booked in at Motormech for a full service, cambelt, water pump, all aux belts and a thorough check-up

Spring will see the wheels refurbed and new tyres fitted

I also now have a HUGE temptation - Motormech has just taken on distribution of BC Racing coilovers - we'll be fitting them to a car in the next few weeks, so I may just decide to try them out....
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/11/2018 13:40

My son has coilovers on his Golf GTi and aside from the ride height he's got it at, I confess I am very impressed with the set up.
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/11/2018 13:57

The car is now booked in at Motormech for a full service, cambelt, water pump, all aux belts and a thorough check-up

Spring will see the wheels refurbed and new tyres fitted

I also now have a HUGE temptation - Motormech has just taken on distribution of BC Racing coilovers - we'll be fitting them to a car in the next few weeks, so I may just decide to try them out....

AD08Rs all the way! Let me know how you get on with the castor on those BC coilovers. I never did get it sorted on mine before taking it off the road, although Leighton did see he could sort it...
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/11/2018 14:53

There are coilovers, and there are coilovers...

Some cheap/nasty/horrible, others expensive/nice/great...presumably BC's are in the latter category?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 09/11/2018 15:19

Originally Posted By DaveG
There are coilovers, and there are coilovers...

Some cheap/nasty/horrible, others expensive/nice/great...presumably BC's are in the latter category?

I suspect that BC coilovers are somewhere in the middle - not as good as Gaz but much, much better than the cheapo nasty Chinese stuff

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 12/11/2018 11:37

I had BC's on my 16vt and they were very hard even on the softest setting.
It did change direction like a fly though so I guess it's whether you can live with the bumpy ride or not.
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 28/11/2018 21:36

They are better than FK coilers as well
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 28/11/2018 21:36

Coilovers*
Posted By: andyps

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 29/11/2018 09:38

Nigel, I'm interested in why you think the Gaz coilovers are better than the BCs. Price is not particularly different between them as far as I can see but I've not done a full comparison as I'm trying to convince myself I can do another season on the suspension I've got.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 29/11/2018 12:26

Originally Posted By andyps
Nigel, I'm interested in why you think the Gaz coilovers are better than the BCs.

Anecdotal evidence only - Jimbo (or was it Suba?) tried lots of suspension and said that Gaz was the best out of everything they had tried

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 29/11/2018 12:56

Thanks Nigel. Will see what I can find.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 29/11/2018 20:53

I think Sparco used to run on the Gaz set up,I may be wrong but I seem to recall him testing them for Gaz or just giving feedback on what he had bought.

You could check his posts or search on here Andy.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 29/11/2018 23:33

Thanks Joe - I've found this thread https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbt...927#Post1143927 but having read it I'm not sure I'm any the wiser about what is best!!

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 30/11/2018 08:14

Like Sparco said,the Gaz kit is well put together but needs adjusting till you find a happy place.
My opinion is that as I only do track days and the occasional hill climb my adjustable Osravs and eibach springs are good enough and middle of the road price wise.

I'm not in competition with anyone so I'm happy. But mine doesn't go on the road.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 30/11/2018 08:17

Just to add that there are plenty of sports suspension company's in the uk that make bespoke systems.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 30/11/2018 15:12

I don't think my budget will run to a bespoke system!!

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/12/2018 13:10

Back on topic.....

Had lots of work done on the Coupe last week - cambelt, water pump, aux belts, all tensioners, full service, cam variator gasket, camcover gasket, aircon regas.

Now that the belts are new, I ran it at full boost on the way home (1.6 bar - about 480bhp)

Turns out I need new tyres as well - wheelspin in the first four gears on damp surfaces.....

Good news is that I remembered why I enjoy it so much... smile

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 30/01/2019 22:16

Good news is that I remembered why I enjoy it so much... smile

driving driving driving

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 31/01/2019 07:36

What a week to send the Alfa in for paintwork (just after I fitted the winter tyres)

Still - the Coupe has started first time, even in the -6 freezing fog this morning

TBH, I'm still in two minds about whether to keep it - I enjoy driving it, it still turns heads, sounds great and goes like stink, but it just isn't going to get used much while I have the Westfield in the garage

Let's see how I feel in Spring...

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/02/2019 12:16

What a week to send the Alfa in for paintwork (just after I fitted the winter tyres)

Still - the Coupe has started first time, even in the -6 freezing fog this morning

TBH, I'm still in two minds about whether to keep it - I enjoy driving it, it still turns heads, sounds great and goes like stink, but it just isn't going to get used much while I have the Westfield in the garage

Let's see how I feel in Spring...

Megabusa/bike engine?

Nigel - serious offer here. If you can wait around 2-3 years when my wife and I are planning a house move, I'd hope I'd be in a good position then to take custodianship from you. However that's a long time to wait...

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/02/2019 12:18

P.S. For a video of some coops from a rally 10 years ago see the video on my facebook page - although I was in the Ferrari at the time...

https://www.facebook.com/shirazjiwacornwall/videos/vb.100012491587576/565675050525543/

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/02/2019 14:51

Originally Posted By SJ2004
Megabusa/bike engine?

No - just a humble Zetec 2-litre, but around 170bhp, so still pretty nifty when its only hauling 600kg

Originally Posted By SJ2004
Nigel - serious offer here. If you can wait around 2-3 years when my wife and I are planning a house move, I'd hope I'd be in a good position then to take custodianship from you. However that's a long time to wait...

It will either be long gone by then, or I will have kept it and thrown even more money at it

Now or never.... wink

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 24/03/2019 18:24

I've had another change of heart....

I drove the Coupe on Saturday for the first time in a few weeks - on the way home, I filled it up, as I'll probably use it for work for a couple of days this week. However, when I entered the mileage details into my Fuelly account, I realised that it has done about 2000 miles in the last two years. I'm paying about £500 a year in tax and insurance, which means over the last two years I've paid about £1000 to do 2,000 miles. Add in the regular maintenance and the fuel and its costing about £1 a mile, which is utterly ridiculous. Whilst I really enjoy driving it, with the Westfield to play with, it just isn't going to get driven enough to warrant keeping it.

So - I've decided it has to be sold....

As mentioned above, it had a full service, cambelt, water pump etc and the and of 2018 and it will have a fresh MOT next Saturday.

I'm now reducing the price to the point where it should be a no-brainer

New price - £9,995. If the asking price is met, I will include a set of freshly refurbished Plus alloys, a brand new (never fitted) Plus rocker cover and a bundle of other spare parts - probably £500 - £750 worth of stuff.

PLEASE will somebody take it on, as otherwise I'm getting to the point where it's worth more in bits, which would be criminal...
Posted By: technics

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 25/03/2019 21:58

Great price Nigel.

I was tempted but I think ive been there and done it after 2 coops (one standard and one i done a fully forged build on etc)

Ive now gone for something a bit more modern and German and still quick.

Maybe try again on Pistonheads and Ebay, bit quiet on here nowadays.

Wish you all the best with the sale, someone will get ALOT of car (and power) for the money!

M

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/04/2019 16:10

Fresh MOT now on the Coupe - no advisories this year ( I had a rear numberplate light advised last year)

I'd much sooner sell to someone from FCCUK, but seeing as its so quiet on here now, it may have to go on Pistonheads or (God forbid) Ebay to get the exposure it needs

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 06/04/2019 22:01

cry cry cry

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/04/2019 20:05

Nigel,

Just checked your MOT History on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
N18 ELO

That is one seriously clean MOT history for the last ten years.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/04/2019 22:01

Thatís what happe
Originally Posted by SJ2004
Nigel,

Just checked your MOT History on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
N18 ELO

That is one seriously clean MOT history for the last ten years.

Yup - that what happens when theyíre looked after properly - OK it only did 60,000 miles in that time, but for at least half of the time, it was used all year round
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 13/04/2019 11:05

Nigel, I had my car up for sale on the forum for quite a long time. I had a price listed, kept dropping and invited "Offers" too. But despite a few nibbles it never sold! I, like you I suspect, was never 100% sure I wanted to sell the car and I also wanted the car to go to someone who would appreciate it. I was also kept thinking I would let it go when I had it's replacement sorted! I was also too attached to the car.

But then, by chance, I spotted an RS for sale at Bury St Edmunds and took the opportunity to go out on another road test. It was a cracking car just missing one or two options but it dawned on me that it had been months since I last looked at one! I guessed that one reason I wasn't looking / buying was because I still had the Coupť sat in the garage. So I resolved that I had to sell the Coupť, if I didn't I would never move on!

So I placed a dreaded, but very detailed, E-bay advert. The car sold within hours of listing, to someone from the Forum! I had several other people contact me about the car before I managed to close the E-bay advert, and a heck of a lot of folks following the advert too shocked I think that when cars are listed on here they generally move very slowly. If you really want to sell the car then a detailed E-bay or Auto Trader advert will be the only way.
Posted By: Frogthedog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/05/2019 09:57

I'm glad you are keeping it Nigel!
I was seriously thinking of selling my car and taking the plunge.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/05/2019 10:51

Originally Posted by Frogthedog
I'm glad you are keeping it Nigel!
I was seriously thinking of selling my car and taking the plunge.

as is often the case with longstanding Coupe owners, I keep wavering - I'm now back to selling it again - I'm now open to sensible offers, as if the car isn't used, its just going to deteriorate. I've put just one tank of fuel in it since December, so it really is wasting the car and its time for someone else to take it over and carry on with the improvements

I now think that the best way for me to sell is with the car as it is, and then I'll sell all my spares separately.

So - make me an offer....

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/05/2019 10:51

Nigel, I am going to think seriously about this over the weekend.

Obviously I need to sell my car first.

Can you tell me how many miles the forged engine has done and what the realistic yearly maintenance costs for your car is as it's a bit "special".

Also the thing that's bothering me a little is the cold start issue!

I understand that your sort of car will need "tinkering" every now and then and that's fine butI don't have the funds I used to have spare to throw at it

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/05/2019 10:54

Sorry! It didn't let me finish. Weird!
As I was saying I don't have the funds to throw lots of money at it every five minutes. So I guess what I'm asking will it be reliable long term with the proper maintenance or am I looking at regular rebuilds, gearboxes etc?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/05/2019 12:30

The maintenance costs will clearly depend on the mileage you do (and how you do it!). However, even when I was using it for 25,000 mile a year, the maintenance wasn't much more than standard. It had basic service (oil, filter) every 12,000 miles and a full service (oil, filter, plugs, pollen & fuel filters) every 24,000 miles. The only expensive stuff there was that I used Mobil 1 10W60 oil - about £50 - £60 for a sump-full and the plugs are NGK Iridiums - about £10 each.

The front brake pads won't be cheap - £200-ish per set, but they are quite recent.

The front discs will be horribly expensive when they need replacing (Brembo floating discs - probably about £500 the pair, but aftermarket replacements will be available for less)

The engine has done about (wait for it....) about 300,000 miles shocked but only about 150,000 miles since it was forged. However, in that time, it has had two full rebuilds, the second of which included a re-bore, new Accralite high CR pistons, new rings and new big end and main shells. I can find out the exact mileage if required, but my guess is that it has done c 30,000 miles since the last full rebuild - maybe less. The cylinder head was also replaced at the last rebuild, as we found the guides were worn. Its a Barbz head and it has been perfect since it was fitted.

I've probably made more of the cold start issue than I should have.

At this time of year, there really isn't an issue - it starts instantly and I just leave it for 30-60 seconds (which the neighbours love...) - after that, its perfectly happy to drive off, although it can be a tad lumpy for the first quarter mile.

In winter (eg morning starts at temperatures less than about five degrees), it still starts perfectly every time, but really isn't happy pulling away until the ECU has finished the cold-start map (takes about 1 - 2 mins). Very occasionally (maybe once per 100+ starts), it will cut out while it's warming up, at which point the cold-start map has been finished and it reverts to the normal running map. In that case, re-starting involves full throttle and 10 - 20 seconds on the starter motor and it will eventually splutter into life and it will be fine for the rest of the day.

As is usual with any of my ads, I've probably been over-honest. The car is ultra-reliable and once you're over the slightly less-than-perfect cold start, it will run happily all day. Sure, there are compromises - the suspension is jiggly round town. The clutch is heavy and a bit juddery if you try to trickle along at 1,000rpm in traffic. The interior plastics creak a bit due to the firm suspension. The Quaife diff gives some "interesting" handling quirks until you're used to it, at which point it becomes a revelation.

The biggest drawback is the slightly tired bodywork, which has already been well described and factored into the price. I reckon a grand would have it looking very decent and a couple of grand would have it better than new.

So - in answer to your question - the maintenance really isn't at all scary - some stuff wears out a bit quicker than it would do on a standard car and some of it will be more expensive when it eventually needs replacing. Otherwise, it has been built to be reliable as well as quick and doesn't require daft stuff like monthly oil changes and unobtainium spark plugs....

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/05/2019 12:47

I didn't fully answer your question - I reckon if you're doing two or three thousand miles a year in it, your maintenance bill should be comfortably less than a grand a year. Occasionally, something will break or wear out, at which point the cost is open ended - a new clutch will be close to a grand fitted. A new turbo will be £1500+, but both have years left in them yet

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/05/2019 13:25

Thanks for the info Nigel.
I will think long and hard over the weekend and get back to you.
Subject to me being daft enough to come back to coupŤ land smile , would it be possible to view some time over the next week or so?

Thanks

Frog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/05/2019 14:34

Of course - happy for you to come and have a look. Also happy to take you out for a decent-length drive so that you can feel what its like on a variety of roads. If you want to insure yourself fully comp for the day, you can drive it too.

I have a "soft" deadline - my insurance is due for renewal at the end of May, so I'd rather not renew if I don't have to (BTW - its less than £300 a year, so don't worry about the mods making it hugely expensive to insure)

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/05/2019 07:33

Hi again Nigel,
Couple of more questions,

How is the Oil pressure cold/hot?
Can you explain quirky diff?
What boost do you run at and is that within safety margins?
Is it the standard ECU remapped or stand alone? If this goes belly up is the map "saved" somewhere? Reasonably cheap to flash a new ECU if required?

Has the gearbox been strengthened in any way? Remember going through 3 with just 300bhp in my previous coupe.

Sorry if they sound silly questions but I just want to be fully aware of the cost of running and keeping it top top if I decide to take the plunge.

Cheers
Frog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/05/2019 07:59

Also oil consumption.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/05/2019 11:15

Sorry again,
Also why did it need a second rebuild? Did something fail or wear out prematurely?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/05/2019 11:40

Has the CHOD been replaced?
I keep thinking of things after I posted. Sorry.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/05/2019 13:01

How is the Oil pressure cold/hot?

Always at 3 bar when driving. Gets down to 2 bar at tickover when fully warm and about 1.75bar when stuck in traffic on a hot summer day

Can you explain quirky diff?

The Quaife diff "shuffles" power to whichever wheel has the most grip. Perversely, on surfaces with low grip, the diff will move power from side to side, which gives the feeling of torque-steer (which it isn't - it just feels that way). Also, when changing down a gear at high revs on low-grip surfaces, the diff does its thing, but in reverse, maning that the engine braking is applied un-evenly across the wheels. However, all the quirks are forgiven when accelerating hard while cornering - the way it puts the power down is just freaky

What boost do you run at and is that within safety margins?

The boost controller has four channels, plus an "off" setting. Off gives base boost of 0.8 bar. There's then 1.0bar, 1.2 bar, 1.4 bar and 1.6bar to choose from. The boost controller can also control the rate of boost climb, so its possible to have a gradual boost build if required (easier on the tyres and tends to result in less screams from the passengers....). The car has been live-mapped to all the four main boost settings, so its perfectly safe at any setting you choose (note it has been maped on 99RON fuel, so I would only recommend using the higher boost when you have Shell V-Power or Tesco 99 in the tank)

Is it the standard ECU remapped or stand alone? If this goes belly up is the map "saved" somewhere? Reasonably cheap to flash a new ECU if required?

The ECU is the OE Motronic, with a live map from Leighton at FC Performance. Leighton has a copy of all of the maps. If the ECU dies, just replace it and plug in the FC Performance chip (I have a spare ECU ready, just in case...)

Has the gearbox been strengthened in any way? Remember going through 3 with just 300bhp in my previous coupe.

The gearbox isn't strengthened. My own experience is that its shock loads that break the box, and its usually the diff that goes. I've done two, hence eventually fitting the Quaife. Just use the best oil you can find

Also oil consumption.

Very modest, depending on how it is driven. Ordinary enthusiastic road use I would guess at 250ml per 1000 miles - very hard trackday use might get it up to 1/2 a litre per 1000. I use Mobil 1 10W60, due to the mileage on the engine - I have a couple of litres that will be supplied with the car

Also why did it need a second rebuild? Did something fail or wear out prematurely?

Both rebuilds were caused by the driver, not the car. The first rebuild was because I ran 2.1 bar on 102 octane fuel at Ten of the Best - I melted the edge of a couple of pistons. This was when I had the Accralite oversize pistons fitted - actual capacity is now 2,047cc. The second rebuild was when the aux belt jumped into the cambelt on a high-revs downward gearchange. Turns out the aux belt had been a bit loose and had flapped around when the revs suddenly peaked. The cylinder head was toast (as you'd expect). I commissioned Barbz to build a new flowed head

Has the CHOD been replaced?

Yes, with a silicone CHOD, after the extra heat from the exhaust made OE CHODs go brittle (I went through three before changing to silicone)

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 08/05/2019 06:09

Deep breath!

Ok Nigel, I'm going to put my car on auto trader tonight and see what happens 😎

Not sure I'm doing the right thing but I can never seem to find a car that brings me joy (and head ache) like the coupe ever did.

I would like to come and see your coupe when convenient please?

Obviously you need to keep your car for sale until I have sold mine. Equally if you sell it in the meantime let me know asap so I can take my car off the market as I have no interest in selling it otherwise.

Cheers
Frog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 08/05/2019 10:49

I know what you mean about doing the right thing - even though I'm convinced the Coupe needs a new home, I'm really not 100% sure. I have a horrible feeling that as it burbles off down the road, I'm going to get "seller's regret".

I might make you sign a document that allows me first refusal on buying it back if you ever sell up....

Drop me a PM with your phone number and we can have a chat about arranging a viewing / test drive

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 08/05/2019 13:27

Ha ha I bought a Triumph speed triple a while ago and he said the same. He actually bought it back off me when I sold it and thanked me for looking after it 😎

Will send my number now.

Cheers
Frog
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 18/05/2019 03:45

Hello Nigel, how do you get insurance for a car that's been modified? Does the insurance company come out to see it? Or do you just list all the mods?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 18/05/2019 07:03

List all the mods and declare the expected or measured power in bhp

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 18/05/2019 07:05

But these days even a dashcam counts as a modification (which can reduce your premium a bit)

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 18/05/2019 20:00

Originally Posted by AnnieMac
Hello Nigel, how do you get insurance for a car that's been modified? Does the insurance company come out to see it? Or do you just list all the mods?

Just supply a (long) list of the modifications - several companies then declined to quote, but a handful of specialists were ok with it - costs about £250 a year with 3,000 miles a year limit

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 19/05/2019 14:55

Well!
Scotty said "you can't change the laws of physics"
Nigel has with his car!

I went up and and saw Nigel and his car yesterday. What can I say? The way his car handles and goes around corners defies logic. It's immense!

I have fallen in love with the 5 pot burble all over again. Great handling and awesome acceleration but a normal coupť when you want.

Hopefully my car sells soon before someone else grabs a super coupť.

Just a bit of body work and it will be A1.

Thank you for demonstrating your car Nigel. Hope to see you soon.

Frog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 20/05/2019 07:58

Thanks for the feedback - It was fairly unusual to have a passenger that didn't squeak or squeal when I put my foot down! You can imagine what it will be like with some new tyres on it? - the traction is half-decent now with five year old Toyos, but would be epic with some AD08Rs

As discussed, I have probably been overly pessimistic with my description. The cold start issue isn't too bad really, and the bodywork is iffy in a couple of places, but mostly pretty good for a 20 year old car.

The one thing I probably haven't made enough of is the fact that it can be quite normal when you want it to be - off boost, it's very docile and easy to drive. The lower settings on the boost controller also means that it can be made to be quite linear on boost. However, the upper settings are just addictive.

I hope you manage to sell the Merc - I know I'm going to regret letting the Coupe go, but it will be slightly less depressing if I know it is going to someone who will look after it

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 13/06/2019 15:27

Hi Nigel
Just to update you I have had no takers for my car. I'm not going to give it away so I will have say sorry at this point in time to buying your car.
I'm really sorry as I thought it would sell.

Good luck with the sale.

Frog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 14/06/2019 08:06

No problem Frog - if things change, you know where I am.....

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 14/06/2019 12:44

I really didn't want to do this, but....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323834244052

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 17/06/2019 22:31

Oggy oggy oggy, oi oi oi!

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 21/07/2019 22:42

Originally Posted by Nigel
I really didn't want to do this, but....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323834244052

Listing ended?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 22/07/2019 05:27

Yes, listing ended. Plenty of interest (3,000+ views and 60+ watchers). A few semi-serious offers, but not quite close enough to make me part with it.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 23/08/2019 15:39

Back on Ebay again at a reduced price of £9500 - I really need to move this on before the end of summer - sitting on the drive for winter isn't going to do it any favours

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 04/09/2019 11:33

And one final reduction to £8,995 before I find somewhere to store it....
Posted By: Carlscott

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/03/2020 08:45

Are you finished with Motormech now Nigel?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 07/03/2020 18:23

Originally Posted by Carlscott
Are you finished with Motormech now Nigel?

No - I still help Motormech on an ad-hoc basis with anything to do with Coupes and the occasional customer contact, but I now donít go into the workshop every Saturday.

Iíll be there next Saturday having my own Coupe MOTíd

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 15/03/2020 13:36

Glad to say the Coupe passed its MOT again - just the usual comments about emissions (!) and a not-quite-legal front number plate....

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 15/03/2020 16:40

Good stuff thumb

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 30/07/2020 12:43

Hi Nigel,
Is your car still for sale?
I may possibly be in a position to make an offer end of next month. I can't promise anything but I am still very interested.

Cheers

Frog

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 31/07/2020 09:10

Hi - yes it's still for sale, although I have to admit to not pushing it very hard!

Let me know when you want a chat

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 31/07/2020 16:07

Ok.
Hope to speak to you soon.
😊

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2020 07:46

I gave the car a proper clean over the bank holiday weekend and once it was a bit more presentable, I decided to go for a bit of a drive.

Youíve heard the phrase about Formula 1 tyres going ďoff the cliffĒ? - Well, it would appear that Toyo Proxes also do the same after about six years. The car was bloody lethal - I had wheel spin in the dry at the top end of third gear (Work out the speed for yourself....) and also some squirming in fourth gear.

So, after a lot of research on Tyre Reviews Iíve just spent close to £500 on a set of four Continental Premium Contact 6 - I simply canít enjoy driving the car and I definitely couldnít allow a new owner to take it away on the old tyres.

So - the price Iíll accept for the car has possibly moved a little, but it was necessary and the new owner will stay out of the scenery on the way home....
Posted By: Ben

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2020 14:01

Hi Nigel,
Massive fan of the car, and if I had £12k I would happily part with it for your moonie.
I have currently got a moonie of my own (used to belong to Tim and formerly Joe of FCSS) and am looking for a set of plus wheels, would you consider selling your set separately?
Cheers in advance, Ben

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2020 15:47

Hi Ben - firstly, the car is no longer £12k - it's quite a bit cheaper than that

Secondly, I sold the Plus wheels a few months ago - sorry. There's a set in the For Sale section though
Posted By: Ben

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2020 17:36

Cheers for the reply Nigel, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
In my honest opinion, your car is worth 12k all day long, and I'd happily pay that if I had the money. Sad to say I don't have close to 9k either 🙃

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 14/09/2020 11:54

New Continental tyres fitted - I hadn't realised just how old the Toyos were. Car now accelerates at full boost in second gear or higher in a straight line and without any wheelspin. First gear still lights up the tyres....

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 25/09/2020 19:07

Sounds like you're having fun with the new rubber. Why sell?! Did you ever get the respray done?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 26/09/2020 11:14

Originally Posted by SJ2004
Sounds like you're having fun with the new rubber. Why sell?! Did you ever get the respray done?

Yes - new tyres means I can drive it like its meant to be driven

Still needs to be sold though, as I'm just not using it - it's done less than 600 miles this year and half of that was my son borrowing it for a week while his daily driver was in for paintwork

I haven't had it painted - I've considered it, but then I'd have to add the cost to the asking price. If a really serious buyer wants it done, I have access to a tame bodyshop, so I can probably get it done cheaper than the new owner - open to a discussion

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 28/09/2020 11:22

I would rather have sold my car to a forum regular, but this hasn't happened. I really don't want it to spend another winter on my drive, so I've done the unthinkable and put it on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324311959560

I know I've probably opened myself up to tyre kickers, dreamers and all sorts of crazy bids and loopy offers of straight swaps for a rusty Saxo, but maybe there will be a serious bidder out there......

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/10/2020 17:03

Pistonheads might be worth it too.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 28/07/2021 08:54

Over the last couple of years, my half-hearted attempt at selling my Coupe have been confounded by three lockdowns. I have also been monumentally mucked about by a supposed "Coupe enthusiast" for the last year (accepted offers, failed viewings etc)

I've set my heart on an Aston V8 Vantage and SWMBO will not be happy if the Coupe is still on the drive when I find one, so I have decided to reduce the car to get it sold.

New developments on the car - it went into Motormech to have a stripped thread in a front wheel hub sorted (they replaced the hub and bearings - no helicoiling with 450+ bhp...). While there, they also checked the aircon and found that there's a leak, probably from the condenser, so a replacement needs to be factored in.

The small areas of corrosion (bonnet leading edge, very light bubbling to the arches) haven't really got any worse over the winter as the car was kept under a good cover. However, the front edge of the sill seam on the floor is starting to rust slightly, where it has been incorrectly jacked in the past. Easily catchable though, with some rust preventer, followed by fresh underseal.

New price is £7,995, with the spares package by separate negotiation.
Posted By: aust_powers

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 28/07/2021 09:10

Hi Nigel

In a way I wish I had stumped up the extra cash to get an an example as honest as yours. It's easily a bargain at the price you are selling it and the forum contains the cars 'story' as it has been developed and tested with all the high's and lows that can be read with the click of the search button. By comparison I purchased a car that on the face of it was honest but hadn't been seen on the forum for year and it was clear now that the owner was getting rid of the car due to a few issues that he hid behind a clever advert.

Good luck with the sale Nigel smile

Austin

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 28/07/2021 09:26

Thanks Austin - my Coupe isn't perfect, but has the makings of an excellent car. As you say, the highs and lows of my eleven year journey with this car are here on the forum for all to see, so nothing is hidden.

Ad is also live in Pistonheads - I would have preferred it to go to someone that knows Coupes well - I thought I had found that person about 12-18 months ago, but he has wasted vast amounts of my time. The last straw was us agreeing a price and him arranging to come and drive the car last Saturday. He didn't turn up and I haven't heard anything since then.
Posted By: Serratia

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 31/08/2021 21:24

Hi Nigel, I tried to private message you on here but I couldn't compose one for some reason. Have you got a mobile number I could contact you on or Facebook? It would just be easier to exchange messages and pics. Cheers.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 01/09/2021 07:36

Serratia, the reason you couldn't PM Nigel is because you haven't yet completed 5 posts. For some reason which has always escaped me this is not made clear anywhere I can see - I intend to look into it.

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2021 17:00

Originally Posted by Serratia
Hi Nigel, I tried to private message you on here but I couldn't compose one for some reason. Have you got a mobile number I could contact you on or Facebook? It would just be easier to exchange messages and pics. Cheers.

I'll PM you my mobile number - I believe you can receive PMs, just not send them

FYI, I have someone coming to view the car next Friday - seems keen, but I thought that about the last person too......

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2021 17:01

Hmmm - apparently newbies can't receive PMs either

For the Mods - is there any way to get a message to Serratia with my contact details?

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 02/09/2021 19:07

Originally Posted by Nigel
Hmmm - apparently newbies can't receive PMs either

For the Mods - is there any way to get a message to Serratia with my contact details?

YHPM

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 03/09/2021 08:31

Originally Posted by Serratia

Serratia, I've sent you a PM (flashing white envelope next to your forum name, top RHS)

Re: Highly modified 20VT Plus - 10/09/2021 12:51

SOLD

frown cry cry
© 2021 Fiat Coupe Club UK