Fiat Coupe Club UK

I think I killed my clio..!

Posted By: Anonymous

I think I killed my clio..! - 07/04/2012 20:47

I baught a Clio 1.8 valver track slag off a friend of mine a few months ago. Anyway we both took it to Donington Park and towards the end of the day we managed to, what seems like, blow the head gasket.

During the first few runs of the day when coming into the pits we found that the cars engine was 'running on' with no effort on the gas pedal. We checked the gas cable and a few other bits and it was all completely free.

At this point I asked my friend (a jaguar mechanic) if it could be detonation, I barely know what it is but knew that heat can cause pre ignition. He said no. (clue 1)

Later on during the day when topping up the car with fuel from my jerry can he asked me if it was 98ron. It wasnt, just normal 95. It was then that he told me that the car had infact been mapped for 98! (clue 2)

Due to my lack of technical knowledge, and no protest from my friend we jumped straight back into the car and went back onto the circuit! Within 10 mins we smelt coolant and jumped back into the pits, just as some white smoke started to pour from the exhaust. Engine was hydro locked, water was in cylinder number 3.

So in hiendsight, with a little reaserch I've come to the conclusion that it was almost certainly down to wrong fuel, causing detonation.

So my question is:
Is the engine likely to have suffered any damage beside the headgasket

How much would a headgasket + cambelt (it needs a cambelt as well) cost?

Thanks! Adam

P.S DOH!
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: I think I killed my clio..! - 07/04/2012 21:05

Doesn't take much to kill a Clio. I find turning the key and starting it a few times on an older model usually does for it grr

As for your issues - I'm sure someone will comment constructively soon. The word Clio has become the real C word in my world!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I think I killed my clio..! - 07/04/2012 22:29

Just change the complete engine.
Don't waste your time mate.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: I think I killed my clio..! - 08/04/2012 08:27

Can you convert it to hydro power? one cylinder's converted already crazy laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK