Fiat Coupe Club UK

What car? - £2k max, open to anything!

Posted By: MattyB

What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 09:28

My partner and I have a max of £2k to spend, although ideally don't want to blow all of that.

We're not bothered about fuel economy, reliability or anything like that. So, I'd like something different, don't really want another coupe (firstly I haven't seen any I like) but don't want something boring.

I've seen quite a few Jaguar X Types picking around for this price but don't know a lot about them so I’m a little unsure.

Have been thinking of getting something German maybe? Open to suggestions!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 09:50

I've been having a torrid fantasy affair with Saabs lately. Never liked them before, but having read up a bit, they can be an interesting alternative to more conventional cars.

Check this out:

Saab 9-5 HOT Aero

If you can find a manual, the 0-60 drops to under 7 seconds. Also worth looking at the 9-3 with a 2.0 turbo motor. They look very good value for what you get.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 10:03

S Type V8 laugh

Or just something V8?

Ticks the boxes for reliability and fuel economy wink

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 10:14

Pistonheads Shed of the Week may not sound promising, but it should give you some interesting ideas.
Posted By: Cappo

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 10:54

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Pistonheads Shed of the Week may not sound promising, but it should give you some interesting ideas.

There are in fact a few long-running PH threads in General Gassing - look for the two which are something like "Best of the Bargain Basement" and "Bargain Barges £1-5k". I do look at the Bargain Basement thread regularly, just out of interest. People post up the best cars they have found for <£1k and there do seem to be some amazing options for decent cars in that price bracket. Save yourself £1000 too! If I ever need a cheap car then that is certainly where I'll be looking first.

Here you go - current page of the Basement thread:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1291750&i=3380&mid=&nmt=

I'd be hunting down that V6 Peugeot Coupe in your shoes!
Posted By: Gripped

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 13:05

Any kind of Alfa V6 e.g. 156, 166 perhaps.

If you want something different, and fuel economy is not an issue, what about a big ol' 4x4 like a Pajero. You can feel your chest hair growing with each rev of the V6 petrol. crazy

German wise... lots of choice I would think. Older BMW's with a straight 6 (2 litre and above).

Audi A3 (Mark 1) 1.8T or TDi perhaps.
Mk 4 Golf GT TDi or V5. Interesting engine the V5. Not sure you'd get the VR6 for £2k though. The 2.0 GTI is supposed to be slow. I'd tend to go for the 1.9 diesel with 130bhp.
Seat Leon Mk 1 Cupra 1.8 T(180, 210 or 225 bhp). Practical with lots of kit for the money.
Older Volvo's with the D5 engine.
Agree with Saab suggestion. I bet the 93 2.2TiDs are cheap or go for one of the petrol turbos.

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 14:58

Wow, so much choice!

I've had a thing for big Saabs too lately. I'd love a big old Range Rover or a Land Rover Defender. My other half hates them and I think he'll struggle to drive it. That's my farmer routes coming out in me.

I've a thing for Mercs too also and BMW 7 series! S Type V8 i've heard they're a bit fragile?
I've been looking at 2 and 2.5 litre V6s Jags, just so I can say "Jaaaaaaag!"

A T5 or D5 Volvo would be interesting too.

Although as for a Pug or anything French, no way!
Posted By: Gripped

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 16:14

Agreed on French cars. I've had two Pugs, and they don't inspire confidence on the reliability front... but I thought you weren't bothered about that ! wink

I'd forgotten about the Volvo T5... what about the 850 or V70 "R" I think they had 300 bhp???? All other drivers will be scared of you in your Rozzer-mobile too. cop

Mmmm BMW 7 Series. 740 anyone?? Takes me back to Piers Brosnan era Bond. driving I think the 7 series came with rocket launchers as standard.

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 16:53

Originally Posted By: MattyB
Wow, so much choice!
I've a thing for Mercs too also and BMW 7 series! S Type V8 i've heard they're a bit fragile?

V8 stronger than the V6 I've heard. Oh, and faster, plus a better sound smile

Jaaaaag

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 17:27

We've seen this Jaaaaag ,

Worth a look? Nice for a good price!
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 02/01/2014 19:52

Looks ok, would ask them to sort the scrape over the front wheel out though?

And service history is important on these, as are making sure there are no whining noises coming from the AWD system!

Have had a couple of these pass through my books last year.

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 09:17

Jaaaaag

Faster, smoother and cheaper tax wink

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 11:14

We just spotted the scrape too, to be honest. It puts me off if people make silly bumps like that and aren't bothered, what else have they been bothered about with the car?

Don't want an Auto Dan, I love a good manual!

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 11:25

Ah right smile

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 11:34

Maybe I should just get a 20vt, Hmmm.... I might have a wonder to Motor Mech and see what they have. They occasionally sell cars!

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 11:39

You always wanted a turbo, right? smile

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 11:40

We just spotted the scrape too, to be honest. It puts me off if people make silly bumps like that and aren't bothered, what else have they been bothered about with the car?

Spot on. The immortal "will probably pop out" or "should come out with a bit of t cut" are my pet hate in any advert. It typically reflects on the care of the rest of the vehicle following suit.

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 12:14

You can have my 2001 a8 for £1500 it's a 3.7 v8 but it's auto (smoothest car I've ever driven)

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 13:51

Just been to Motor Mech and there was a nice Coupe there but was sold yesterday! I should think a head next time.

I have always wanted a turbo but we'll see. My partner was an MG TF..... So, we're looking at one tomorrow.

Cheap bit of fun, why not?

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 14:00

Oh and this

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 14:42

My partner was an MG TF.....

Bit unfortunate laugh

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 15:06

Each to their own?

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 16:30

I'm trying to steer away from the MG..... I have an open mind but you know

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 16:31

Originally Posted By: DanDan

My partner was an MG TF.....

Bit unfortunate laugh

I mean wants! My bad!

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 16:36

Oh and this

If a 156 takes your fancy (as indeed it should), ensure it comes in V6 flavour!
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 03/01/2014 22:41

Avoid the TF. They are just terrible!
Posted By: Darlo_Nick

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 04/01/2014 12:11

I bought a Jag X-Type mid last year and it's caused no problems at all, with no obvious signs of impending doom! It wafts along quite nicely, but isn't the most exciting of drives.

Mine is the 2001 2.5 V6 with 88k miles. I'd try and get the 3.0 if you get the chance as apparently it has a lot more poke for very little difference in mpg!

p.s. thanks again Hovedan!! laugh

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 04/01/2014 13:24

Originally Posted By: Darlo_Nick
I bought a Jag X-Type mid last year and it's caused no problems at all, with no obvious signs of impending doom! It wafts along quite nicely, but isn't the most exciting of drives.

Mine is the 2001 2.5 V6 with 88k miles. I'd try and get the 3.0 if you get the chance as apparently it has a lot more poke for very little difference in mpg!

p.s. thanks again Hovedan!! laugh

Thanks Nick thumb

But you get to say Jaaaaaag - which is worth everything!
Posted By: Boosted7

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 04/01/2014 22:56

How about this Alfa 166? Looks rather tasty! Click

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 04/01/2014 23:00

That is gorgeous!

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 04/01/2014 23:43

Originally Posted By: Boosted7
How about this Alfa 166? Looks rather tasty! Click

That is stunning. Bit of a trek to Grimsby but would be worth it for that money!!

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 07/01/2014 22:09

Well, after all of that we went for the powder blue Alfa 156.

The dealer was fairly trustworthy and it is in pretty good shape. The odd dent here and there but for the age of car, it doesn't matter.

Got him down to £1300 also which we were happy about. 60 mile journey back and it pulls like a train. Shame it was wet and cold! Can't wait to give it a good doing over at the weekend!

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 12/01/2014 13:42

Well the 166 has gone to Malaysia to be an airport taxi for a nearby circuit. Shame that didn't stay in the UK frown
Posted By: zigman36

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 14/01/2014 11:27

How did it get Exported?

Re: What car? - £2k max, open to anything! - 14/01/2014 12:36

Originally Posted By: zigman36
How did it get Exported?

I have no idea of specifics. Expect it involved a crate and a boat and lots of paperwork, that's the usual thing!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK