Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cross plane crank R1

Posted By: Gripped

Cross plane crank R1 - 08/05/2014 21:57

I am a bit of an engine sound freak... hence why I bought a Coupe over a conventional 4 cylinder car.

Had a few bikes over the years, and my VFR800 VTEC sounded great at full throttle.

However, I think I'm in love with the new in-line 4 cross plane R1.... the engine has a different firing order to conventional engines, and sounds more like a V4 than a straight 4. Anyway, see what you think. cool

New Crossplane engine
Crossplane R1

Roadrides of the throaty Crossplane R1
More Crossplane noise

Previous engine
Older R1
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cross plane crank R1 - 08/05/2014 22:32

How does it sound without the lovely Akrapovic exhaust system on there?

Re: Cross plane crank R1 - 08/05/2014 22:36

Ahoy Jimlad.

Like the bikes in the second vid I imagine ... although they might have aftermarket zorsts too.

My point is, the crossplane sounds totally different to your usual in line 4 sports bike.

Here's another vid. Sounds so much like a V twin or V 4 it's unreal.

Vid 3

In fact, here is a VFR800 .... a V4 engine. Sounds almost identical, but the configuration of pistons is completely different. Amazing what you can do with a different firing order.

VFR800 comparison sound

I used to have a VFR and I loved it.... apart from the fuel economy and the hernia inducing weight.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Cross plane crank R1 - 09/05/2014 06:46

All right, you got me. How on earth do you have a crossplane inline four?

Is the sound just because the exhaust comes from 1-2 and 3-4?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cross plane crank R1 - 09/05/2014 10:40

http://youtu.be/oEXUrO5wYcE

All explained to the beat of the drum.
Posted By: volumex

Re: Cross plane crank R1 - 12/05/2014 18:24

good video never knew what a cross plane crank was .... wonder why there are no dead spots with the power

Re: Cross plane crank R1 - 12/05/2014 19:12

Cross plane must be more complex to build, (certainly complex to explain !!) since there seem to be lots of benefits of it.... so why don't more people do it. They are saying that Yamaha are introducing the same tech to their other models, like twins and triples.

It's not new technology though, but probably new when applied to an in line 4.

Anyway, who cares ! I just like the noise it makes !

I want one.

PS, here is me on my other bike...a parallel twin with a 180 degree crank (one piston up, one down). Some parallel twins have a 270 degree firing interval to make them sound like V twins.

My 180 degree crank P- twin (me riding it too !!)
Versys 650

Honda 270 degree P- twin
Honda nc 700

Same engine configurations, different firing intervals.... different sounds.

© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK