Fiat Coupe Club UK

FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset

Posted By: Anonymous

FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset - 30/05/2014 10:39

Hello everyone!

I'm scheduled to change the cambelt (and everything else) on my mums cambelt in a couple of weeks. I've got all parts to change it - including the locking tools - but I've got a question about the phonic wheel resetting.

According to the guides I've seen you need to reset it when the cambelt is swapped so the ECU can then relearn the settings (minute differences in belt tension). Now, lots of places say you need the FIAT Multiscan software and other are saying all you need to do it start it up and leave it running on idle then rev to 5k for 10 seconds then idle and repeating it should reset things.

So, a couple of questions really.
- All the guides are shown from puntos. Engine is the same but I haven't had it confirmed that the 500 is exactly the same.
- Does the rev method work?
- If not then is multiscan easy to use? I have a few diagnostic tools already: will any of them work? Full blown VCDS Hex/Can/USB (VAGCom), Gendan ODB GCR25 and a cheapo ebay special KKL 409.1 usb line (that can be used for free versions of VCDS).

Thanks for the help
Chris

Re: FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset - 30/05/2014 10:47

Engine is a 1.2 8v by the way

Re: FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset - 30/05/2014 16:14

Never had any issues with this personally when doing belts .

Re: FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset - 30/05/2014 16:34

Thats good to know JBT, thanks.

Re: FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset - 30/05/2014 19:11

Dead easy job.

Very prone to water pump leaks so might be worth getting one prior to stripping it.
Give me a buzz if you struggle when doing it.

Re: FIAT 500 cambelt change - phonic reset - 02/06/2014 08:33

Cheers. Got all the kit already, belts, tensioners, aux stuff, waterpump and thermostat too (might aswell whilst the coolant is out)
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK