Fiat Coupe Club UK

new car confirmed

Posted By: Anonymous

new car confirmed - 23/10/2014 19:49

Her in doors has signed off the purchase of an xkr (at last)!

So watch this space!!

Now what to do with the coupe, store it, sell it run in the winter?? I already run 2 cars, 3 is just plain daft!

Re: new car confirmed - 23/10/2014 22:13

I wouldn't call 3 cars daft, just makes choosing which to drive a little more difficult!
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: new car confirmed - 23/10/2014 22:52

Sell the other car that isn't a Coupe or a XKR. You didn't tell us what it was so it can't be that exciting!
Posted By: andyps

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 00:10

I have an XK8 and my Coupe - great combination of cars as far as I'm concerned. Guess an XKR would be even better but I avoid temptation by thinking of the fuel bills at 15k miles per year!

If space is required we also have a Freelander so all round plenty of choice - when it comes to cars you can't have too many can you?
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 07:05

I have three cars frown driving yes
Posted By: neil_r

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 08:07

I'm also looking for an XK-something. There is so little price difference between an XK and an XKR here, it might as well be an XKR. It would be my third car too, and my wife has a car of her own. Not sensible but cars are not meant to be sensible.

Enjoy!

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 08:27

I only have room for 2 (atm), although I am looking into moving into a much larger house.

My wife has a diesel Bravo mjet - she wont run the coupe as she is allergic to spending money on anything but clothes and house décor (she grumbles at 50 mpg). Her idea of a car is as new as possible, my cars need to have something about them.

I don't want to get rid of the coupe, I've done 40 something k miles in it and it has been a fantastic car. If I put it to rest in a dry box the chances are it'll never see day light again. I may see what it's like on a shared car policy with the Jag but (having driven an my2011 na xk round the UAE) I feel the coupe would quickly loose most of it's sparkle. Especially when I have already found a guy to do me some cat backs and another who will map and change the S/C pulleys laugh

I do around 11k a year, the coupe returns me about 22 mpg and over the same commute over a 2 week period my dad's V12 Jag returned 11 mpg (that made my pockets hurt). I believe an XKR should give me around 20 - the whooooosh pop tsssccchhh of the coupe leads to late gear changes!

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 09:22

I'm the only one who "works" in our household so I have the main say about what we spend our money on smile Even so, a 4th car will stress our parking arrangements.

I have had my 20V Coupe from new and I will keep it a bit longer - at least until the next cambelt change. It will probably be worthless and rusty by then. It is already starting to go if you start looking closely. However, it is more my winter car. I would not use the XK in the snow and ice because of the salt, as long as I find a really clean one, so my Coupe will still serve a purpose.

The XK would make a really good weekend car. Commuting in a 5 liter car is not the wisest but I expect I will still do it in the summer, if I ever find one to actually buy smile
Posted By: Gripped

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 12:08

Originally Posted By: neil_r

The XK would make a really good weekend car. Commuting in a 5 liter car is not the wisest but I expect I will still do it in the summer, if I ever find one to actually buy smile

4.2 IIRC

wink

I know what it;s like to have "too many" cars. We have a modern house with a useless garage and a small drive.... but we have 3 cars (a works Pugeot, a Leon and the Coupe) plus a campervan.... and a motorbike. So that makes 5 vehicles !!!!!!!

I'd like to get rid of one... but which?
Posted By: Trappy

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 12:12

Originally Posted By: Gripped

4.2 IIRC

wink

I was going to say that but thought 'you've got to stop being so annoying' and so didn't smile

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 12:13

I like being annoying. It's all part of being on an annonymous forum ! laugh

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 12:18

The newer ones are 5.0s and 500 bhp out of the box smile

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 13:08

The newer ones are 5.0s and 500 bhp out of the box smile

I'm glad to be corrected as it means I got to surf for info on the new engine. wink

Mmmmm 503 bhp...

"A lack of poke certainly wasn’t a glaring deficiency of the old XKR, but the new engine means that it shoots from 0-60mph in just 4.6sec, compared with 4.9sec. The killer blow is that the XKR now fires from 50-70mph in 1.9sec, up against the 2.5sec it took the old one."

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 13:12

All these cars we run and they say we're living in times of austerity.
The motor industry is positively thriving. We are doing far more collections at uk manufacturing places that export to foreign car plants than ever.
ABB Sweden produce robots that build cars here and we've been taking a lot to the new jag plant in Birmingham.

Times seem only to be as hard as we're told they are.

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 13:14

The 5.0 XKR is a really tempting package. A bit harder edged that a traditional Jaguar, while being completely usable on a daily basis as long as there are just two of you and a very nice place to be cocooned in.

Biggest problem in Germany is that they are all black. But black is growing on me or am I getting desperate to spend some money?

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 13:56

I'm hunting electric blue and it will be a 4.2, the newest shape in r spec is pushing 30k at the lower end, I need to move house so that's a bit too far. I'm thinking £15-20k.

The 4.2 can be made to 500 bhp quite easily.

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 14:38

All the XKs are nice. Blue suits it really well. I started off looking for a good 4.2 XK with low miles and big wheels but I seem to have ended up targeting a 5.0 XKR with the R-Perf interior. I haven't bought a car for 14 years, so I have some money in the car budget smile

I am however resigned to waiting for the right car and the right deal. The German market for these is very confused at the moment and has stagnated with much too high sticker prices and no buyers. Average forecourt time for an XKR is about 6 months! As more lease cars are returned/auctioned off (December is a peak period here due to business tax relief), they should help force a more realistic level. I would like one by late spring next year though...

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 14:44

If I went with the latest I would want the xkr-s, as they are a beast among beasts. Sadly out of my range atm!
I have no car fund currently residing with me as the coupe as eaten around £4k in the last two years and we've had 3 family holidays.......
Thankfully it's almost bonus season!

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 14:55

Personally, I don't like the looks of the "S". The nicest to my eyes is the original XK NA but it is not quite exciting enough in a straight line. For me, Jaguars should look a little understated but perform well. The XKR-S is just too showy for me. I would really feel rather self-conscious getting in and out of it smile

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2014 17:55

Perhaps! I've had the use of an xjs twr v12. That is understated but not, you get lots of looks and it's an awesome place to be. It's what has driven me to want an xkr!

Re: new car confirmed - 18/12/2014 18:56

After further discussion and my wife changing jobs (3 mile commute rather than 25) we have changed car requirements. I must now have the family car (3 kids) and we need to lose her diesel as such short journeys are no good.

So plan 2 I get an s type r and she gets an essesse. Thoughts?

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 08:57

S-Types are generally underrated. Find a good one and you should have a very good car for your money. A "bad" one could mean a bit of extra initial expense to get it right. They are getting on a bit too, so finding a good one is getting harder. The XF 5.0 could be an alternative, dropping the retro look for something still quite modern. Even the NA is impressively fast and sounds good too. As you know, I like Jaguars because they are a bit different and a bit less common. However, my experience is that they are also getting pretty reliable too. My S-Type is 14 years old, but has held together exceptionally well and has cost very little to run. I don't believe an E320 or a 528i from that era would have faired any better. Probably would not have come close.

An essesse is a FIAT 500, right? I quite like them but they are almost too popular to be desirable. I would also look at the Citroen DS3 similar but different, more space, competent chassis and good value. Both the 500 and the DS3 are on my virtual list as possibles for when my "daily" Coupe has to go.

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 11:27

There are a few 50k milers up for 9-10k which is very toppy but they look well looked after. I looked at an XF-R a few weeks back, but at £21k it would mean no new car for the wife, I don't want a loan for one. There was also an XKR-S in the same garage - OMG what a monster!!!

My wife loves the 500, she had an Abarth Seicento a few years back and loved it!

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 12:09

Well the 500 seems to be settled then smile

Go in with your eyes open and the S-Type should be good. Have a look through http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 and list out the weaknesses (lumpy gear change, central locking, wheel bearings, heater valves, etc). The list won't be that long, as the cars seem very solid but worth knowing what to look for.

A non-R XF (5.0 or 4.2 Supercharged) is not to be sniffed at though, if one appears in your preferred price range.

I have found a white XKR Speed Pack within mine and if we can get the few issues cleared up, it could be mine, but first the Christmas break and a good rest!

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 12:17

I really want the XKR, the kids really want an XKR but it would mean the wife driving an equally large car and I've tried that, it didn't work and it was used more like a battering ram than a car.

Thanks for the link I'll have a good luck through. I have seen the SV8 XF and they do seem a good buy, it all depends on the car and it's history. I chose well with my coupe and almost 6 years on I am still loving it and given what some people go through it has cost me very little, I intend to do the same with a Jag. I looked at the S range of Audis but they just aren't Jags.....

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 12:39

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
... battering ram ...

Why does that sound familiar!

The XF is the closest thing to a 4-door XK and is actually cooler inside. Depends on how much potential performance you are willing to drop - even the 4.2 V8 is fast and may be a better buy. If I was not in Germany, I would not consider an "R" Jaguar. There is nowhere to use the extra performance. The models just below are frighteningly competent without drawing attention to themselves and they hold their value less well so are better buys.

Audis leave me cold, I'm afraid, except for maybe the A5, which is borderline. Good products but no soul.

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 13:16

I have a requirement for a charged V8 - I have to have one in my life. I know the N/A's are fine cars BUT I would never be happy knowing I could of had a pair of chargers attached.
My plan is to amend the exhausts to be a tad less subtle under load, swap charger pullies and a gentle mapping. This should see me smiling, enjoying the noise and hopefully around the 500 hp mark.
The XF is a little common in diesel guise for my liking and puts me off a little. I do think they are brilliant, and that 5.0 V8 is a stormer. We shall see what happens come January!!

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 13:47

I know what you mean about getting exactly what you really want. I have always taken the sensible option but this time it has to tick all the boxes.

Jaguars are rare in Germany so I forget what the car landscape looks like these days in the UK. However, having driven a 385 h.p. 5.0 XF N/A, I could blot out the fact that the diesels exist should the right one appear! But the S-Type R is also quite some car, which you can tune if the fancy takes you. Get as late a car as possible though as Jaguar continually improved the S-Type.
Posted By: Richard24

Re: new car confirmed - 19/12/2014 21:06

Ever considered the Monaro ??? Big v8 to play with

Re: new car confirmed - 20/12/2014 09:09

Can't really compare the two, jag has pace, has an air of stealth and is comfortable as a mile muncher.
I'm sure a monaro is a capable car, as a track / weekend special it would be fine, as my family car and daily drive im not swayed. There's one for sale 3 miles from me, I've been at the garage when it was being viewed and run up.loud doesn't cover it.
It's a bit like a vx220 vs the elise, if I had a vauxhall I'd have to explain it, a lotus is a lotus.

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2015 14:11

Well after 12 months of procrastination - we have a black m.y. 2011 XFR! Just put a deposit on it this morning.

London tan seats, fully loaded with digital TV, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, suede head lining... I could go on for a while!

I'll post pictures up once she's parked up next to the coupe!

Omg, the noise the infinite power and the infinite power!
Comes with a full set of winter rubber too!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2015 18:13

Awesome!

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2015 18:15

It should be Jim!
Now I have to be patient and wait to collect - which will be Hard!!!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: new car confirmed - 24/10/2015 22:37

Looking forward to pictures...

Re: new car confirmed - 25/10/2015 08:20

Congrats. They are a stunning car. I've got the SV8 which was the stop-gap before the R came in during 2009. Missing .8 of a litre and 80bhp laugh The way they carry their weight really is amazing. Oh and those cooled seats snowman

I'm glad you've got some winters as you'll need them. I've got a set to swap over to shortly. Low temps and wet roads make the TC work overtime laugh

Head over to Jaginfo for an XF specific forum if you haven't already. There is the XF forum as well, but that seems a bit more 'show off your motor' and that's it. Not much technical info.

A Spires exhaust is on my Christmas list wink

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 08:22

Well done BM. Probably the last real chance to own something really exciting and over-the-top smile I was lucky and found my XKR quite quickly but have not seen another really good one anywhere near me since at around my budget.

Jaguars are still underrated used because they rarely win comparison tests and get forgotten. Hence, they are amazing value. They are actually very well built with no worse reliability than peers. Plus, they are a much nicer place to be than the dark and cold German stuff that do win the reviews. I'm sure you will enjoy every mile, at whatever pace you can use. I do and that is what it is really all about smile

Try http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67 if you have not already. A very informed bunch.

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 09:26

Thanks guys, I'm hoping for collection tomorrow as I can't wait!!!

I've read some good things about up to and including 30 mpg on a run! I've got a few trips out planned already!!

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 09:47

... up to and including 30 mpg on a run!

If you can drive steadily at 60 mph on the flat maybe but then you would have bought the diesel. Any town driving pretty much doubles the fuel consumption. Pottering about is amazingly wasteful. I only see a real 18-25 mpg with mine.

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 13:22

... up to and including 30 mpg on a run!

If you can drive steadily at 60 mph on the flat maybe but then you would have bought the diesel. Any town driving pretty much doubles the fuel consumption. Pottering about is amazingly wasteful. I only see a real 18-25 mpg with mine.

Agreed. I think the XFR is meant to be slightly more fuel efficient that the SV8, but I average around 18mpg round town and 27mpg if I drive like an absolute saint at 60mph. It's really not worth it laugh It would be so easy to do single figures evil

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 17:40

I expect to see mid teens to work in winter, maybe slightly better in the summer and mid twenties when being family orientated, single figures on a sunny warm day with seat aircon on!

Looking for a limited classic policy for the coupe tonight so I can keep that moving without the use of my no claims.

I've been offered the extended warranty at 112 quid a month. I'm tempted - what are anyone's thoughts? The warranty is though jag.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 18:40

That's decent mpg for a big motor and engine. Our corsa vxr is achieving around 26mpg and managed to get 32 on a motorway run.

Should get one of these instead.

Lovely cars.

Re: new car confirmed - 26/10/2015 21:40

Yes you should! Just be aware that those mpgs are based around casual driving, it'll easily stay in single figures if pushed.

I'm collecting tomorrow lunchtime!!

Re: new car confirmed - 27/10/2015 20:21

She's arrived!!
Omg, what were jag thinking?? Its a beast of a beast!

I've managed 16 mpg in traffic driving like my nan! Doesn't bode well for the journey to work, lots of hills here in Yorkshire!!

I'll load pictures when it's light.

Re: new car confirmed - 27/10/2015 22:36

So I'm guessing you won't be bothered about a remap laugh It's easy to get another 100bhp out of them shocked

What really impresses me is that you can do 100 miles on the motorway, and within 15 minutes, you have completely ruined the average mpg laugh

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 06:09

I was reading up on mapping, alot of people still didn't seem sure if the drivetrain stood up to the extra power long term.

I'm not sure I'll need another 100 bhp yet, especially not in winter, living on the pennines! Roll on the summer!!!!

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 07:39

The ease with which these cars reach illegal speeds makes more power purely academic. It will probably only make a perceptible difference in acceleration way the other side of 100 mph. Waste of money imho. Also Jaguar restricted the torque output of these engines so that the gearbox life was not unduely shortened. Is it worth risking the gearbox for so little real-world performance increase?

By far a better investment would be premium rubber, the best you can get, to make as much use of the torque that is available.

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 07:52

Yummy factory black wheels with red calipers and new chromed 'supercharged' scoops for the bonnet laugh
click to enlarge

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 15:25

Picture doesn't work for me? Just an empty box.

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 15:56

Originally Posted By: Jonny
What really impresses me is that you can do 100 miles on the motorway, and within 15 minutes, you have completely ruined the average mpg laugh

Just leave it idling and the tank is empty after 45 mins. laugh
Posted By: bezzer

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 17:46

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Picture doesn't work for me? Just an empty box.

Same here frown

Re: new car confirmed - 28/10/2015 18:21

Aww pants.
Not sure where my IMG pop has gone wrong! I'll have a bash at fixing it.....
Posted By: evo_number_one

Re: new car confirmed - 29/10/2015 00:58

Nice one Muzz cool

Have you got the illuminated sill/tread plates? Finding it hard to resist purchasing some for my XF......

Then there's the chrome pedals...... laugh

Re: new car confirmed - 29/10/2015 08:01

I have neither evo, I also aren't shopping for parts as I'll get carried away.

Little video since I can't get the bloody photos to work.

you tube v8
Posted By: magooagain

Re: new car confirmed - 29/10/2015 08:20

Nice vid Muzz.Theres another 5 liters of juice gone!

Re: new car confirmed - 29/10/2015 15:51

Funny, the Ave mpg went from 15.2 to 14.9 in the making of that video!! rolleyes

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 11:46

Quick review after a weekend drive:

Firstly the car feels ridiculously stable, the lack of noise and the size means naughty speeds feel normal. Couple that with stupid power and it's unbelievable how much quicker you are traveling than you think.

The steering wheel is small.
The seats have many adjustable items including the bolsters!
Adaptive cruise control is wonderful.
It's impossible to pull out of junctions into traffic in the wet / cold. I'm still on summer tyres (285,30,20) p zero and they spin up for a laugh. I've not used sport or dynamic modes yet.
Air-conditioning in the seats in great.
It's very comfortable. Stupidly so.
The ride is very forgiving in normal for such silly wheels! Soaks up bumps like they're not there, they are continually changing damp rates so it's what you'd expect.

Mpg, not so good. Long run saw 23 mpg at around 75 mph. I'll have to work on that part!

I'll do a full write up and pics when I find some time.

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 13:22

I hate adaptive cruise grr

I've got used to pulling away with a tiny bit of throttle, then add to it shortly after. It works quite well, but clearly the R will have completely different mapping.

The damping on the car for 20" wheels is magical quite frankly.

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 14:58

The throttle travel is really long, the first little bit feels to do nothing but prod past it and it's whiplash time! I just need to get used to it.
What don't you like about adaptive cruise?

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 15:41

Even on the shortest gap interval, I'm pulling up to the car in front about to change lanes and it cuts in. I definitely don't drive close either. Plus you get people pull in front of you and the car slows considerably!

It does work, but it can be a struggle in heavy traffic. Again, it's probably been updated on yours.

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 15:44

It's just had a service and front bushes renewed, plus the tracking and Michelin Pilot Super Sports will be fitted shortly cool

Then a detail and a Spires exhaust evil (Google them)

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 16:10

Yeah I had the slowing in a 50 zone, although it does like to return to the preset speed with some urgency!

I've seen the spires stuff, do you loose the dynamic button influence? I had a look at a full exhaust, they're about 5k!!

Re: new car confirmed - 02/11/2015 20:30

I haven't got any valves in mine, so Dynamic is just suspension/mapping etc. The back boxes are all that are really required and are about £750. By all accounts the R is a lot louder anyway laugh

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 09:02

The valves make it crackle and pop when reved stationary (as per vid) do you get paddles in the sv8?
I tried low speed paddles last night, can't even feel the box changing, it's amazing!!

Might do back boxes but want to get used to the car first!

Shame you're so far away, would be good to compare the two as I was torn between them!

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 11:51

Yes, you get dynamic mode, sports mode on the gearbox and paddles, which work really well. The XFR is clearly the better car, but you really do get a lot for your money with the SV8, as they don't command a premium. Only real downside for me is no sports seats.

There is a meet at Donington Park on 6th December, where there'll be around 30 XFs going. I'll be there:

http://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.php?38514-Castle-Donington-Meet-2015

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 16:15

Wasn't sure what you got with the sv8, sports seats are good!
Wasn't really meaning what was the better car, more if the upgrades made enough of a difference to be worth it. The 4.2 is a peach of an engine and 420 (isn't it??) bhp is hardly low level power! Didn't realise you didn't get sport mode. Your gearbox mapping must be very different in drive tye xfr changes at 4k rpm....
I'll see if I can make Donnington, would be fun!

Re: new car confirmed (pictures added) - 03/11/2015 17:25

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Finally working!!!

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 17:30

Well for my 2008 I paid £11K private, but that was a huge bargain to be honest. It's 420bhp, which you could upgrade to about 460bhp with a smaller pulley, but can't really see the point.

Drive is just like normal, it'll do whatever you ask. Sport just holds the gears and makes the changes sharper. Then dynamic just alters the active dampers to make it stiffer/allow slip etc.

Re: new car confirmed (pictures added) - 03/11/2015 17:32

click to enlarge
TV working

click to enlarge

Quad exhausts

click to enlarge

Pre washed, 20 inch wheels, 15 inch discs and dirty great big calipers!

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 17:35

Originally Posted By: Jonny
Well for my 2008 I paid £11K private, but that was a huge bargain to be honest.

Wow, that was a real bargain mine was considerably more than that.... Thinking about the differences I'm not sure it warrants the premium. I am starting to love tye thing though, winter rubber going on Saturday!

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 17:40

I've got 18"s with winters ready to go on shortly.

You've got the same wood trim as me. Definitely the best out of the lot. Some of the choices are very old-man.

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 18:34

Only 20's fit the xfr.... Bloody brakes!

Yeah, it's a nice colour, I've got tan centres on black seats. I like the colour combo!

Re: new car confirmed - 03/11/2015 22:46

Yes I noticed that with the XFR. God knows what the brakes are like used in anger, as the SV8s are hugely powerful anyway. Picked up some absolutely mint 18" option wheels with almost new Nokian winters tyres for £500...
Posted By: bezzer

Re: new car confirmed - 04/11/2015 07:27

Looks lovely BM!!!

I hope you have deep pockets. A car like that needs to be driven properly....

One reason I had to get rid of my Scooby STi was due to the near single figure mpg I used to get ooo

Re: new car confirmed - 04/11/2015 11:48

Bezzer, you can't drive it properly in the wet! It's a proper monster! The lack of 4wd and 470lb at 2.250 rpm soon ensures the rears are lit up! Total opposite to a 4wd Japanese rally car. You must've been giving it some fair old stick to get it down to single digits! Was it the 2.5??
To be honest I expected the fuel usage to be stupid and it is, I think single figures would be easily available when pressed on! But that's all part of the fun, it's tyre usage that could be ruinous!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK