Fiat Coupe Club UK

What car? (And no it's not for Jim )

Posted By: Barmybob

What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 10/11/2015 20:43

So welcome to the Barmybob What Car? thread.

This started off with thoughts of purchasing an Audi TT 3.2 DSG, a car I had always fancied, but it has moved on quite a bit. I have moved through later model TT's, Audi A/S3's. VW Scirocco's and many more. Current thoughts are towards the Audi A5.

I've been so wrapped up in owning old cheap cars that I have no real idea of what is available, nor indeed what I really want. This has been made worse because I have increased the budget somewhat.

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
what's you current thoughts bob? Age, style, performance and economy??

Current thoughts:

• The cars main function will be to commute - 45 miles a day.
  • The car needs to be reasonably quick - The current 156 isn't and I hate it frown Previous cars - Alfa 166 V6 / Audi 2.8 Quattro were perfect.
  • However - The current 156 has significantly reduced my fuel costs so finding something that can return mpg in the 30's or better would be nice.
  • Style - I've always preferred 3 door Coupés - I don't need four doors.
  • Age like mileage is not really important. The condition is key. I get a bit sick of viewing cars claiming to be 50,000 miles and prefect but that appear to be 200,000 mile taxis
Posted By: one4seven

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 10/11/2015 21:08

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Lovely indigo blue on around 68k for sale just up the road from me, 7k. I'd be there like a shot if I could.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 10/11/2015 21:39

Gt86
Posted By: magooagain

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 10/11/2015 22:01

45mile a day commute and also knowing your route you don't have to worry about mpg Bob.
Get whatever tickles your fancy mate.

A sporty A5 over a TT any day .
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 12:00

Cayman 2.7.
Quite quick and should do high teens mpg.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 13:07

High teens? Not quite in the 30's!

I still think the gt86 ticks all your boxes!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 13:43

A GT86 isn't a nice place to spend any amount of time, especially not a daily commute. Cheap nasty looking dash, swathes of plastic, a gutless engine and a ride that become tiresome after 30 minutes. I did a 45 minute drive from Abu Dhabi to Dubai in a friends car, I didn't enjoy it as a cruising car.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 13:53

What's your budget Bob?
Posted By: bezzer

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 14:58

Originally Posted By: Gripped
What's your budget Bob?

Around about £14k
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 16:20

Seat Leon fr?
Lower end of budget ticking most along with quick diesel engines with good mpg.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 16:39

Mercedes e class coupe? Loads under 14k fully loaded,diesel.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 16:59

This car is still for sale on an Audi Forum, it's a lovely spec S5 4.2 V8

Audi S5

His price is down to £15K but I think he'll accept £14K if you offered it.

old ebay add
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 17:46

High teens? Not quite in the 30's!

I still think the gt86 ticks all your boxes!

Sorry.
Meant high twenties. blush
Mid thirties on a run.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 17:47

Or possibly a bmw 325 coupe? Or 320 or 330? All over 30mpg and under 8 secs with baring specs for choice. Loads at 6k onwards

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201509217110058?onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&quantity-of-doors=2&postcode=cm241qw&fuel-consumption=high&radius=1500&search-target=usedcars&maximum-mileage=up_to_80000_miles&make=bmw&body-type=coupe&sort=atcustom&minimum-seats=4&price-to=12000&zero-to-60=fast&page=1&logcode=p

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 18:10

I went to look over an A5 today. The closest one was at a trader in Stansted... The fellow also had a couple of TT2's and after spending time looking over all the cars I discovered that I prefer the size - shape and specification of the A5 over the TT2.

The car was a base model 1.8 Tsi SE and wasn't fitted with the wheels shown. He also had a rather nice S5 4.2 V8. This was also in base spec rather than the "BLACK" and being a 2012 was well outside the budget.

There are a few V8 S5's in budget, the one Jimbo has linked to looks really nice, and the performance looks impressive too. But the fuel economy and the £505 road tax, year on year and I suspect insurance would be murder. If I didn't still have to go to work it could work, but we're treading on the Aston dream now! (Hmmm RS5 love )

Having looked over the 2008 Audi A5 sales brochure on-line it appears that the 3.0 Tdi Quattro with the S-line, and if possible Black Line, trim would be the best. The online community and road test reports seem to suggest the 7 speed auto makes the most of the huge torque and I think I would prefer an auto too. Some of the options available on the A5 are crazy, and cost quite a bit too shocked So seeing any fitted could be a big bonus smile

So, I have booked an appointment to see a 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Auto tomorrow. The mileage is a bit higher than I would like but it is a one owner car it has some extras and is slightly under budget.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 21:30

Nice Spec slightly high on the budget but that's the starting price, you'd get it down £1K easily.

There is really nice looking 2008 which has CAT D against it, I believe it's got the full repair video on YouTube, they put the face lift front and rear bumper and lights on it, it looks great, is a really high spec and good price, it's just the CAT D if you can live with it.
If it's the same car, it looks like it had been the centre car in a 3 car shunt.

Let me try and find it

Here

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 21:45

Ah no, the video I'm thinking of is a white A5 Cabriolet.

Cat D is the lightest of repair categories, would be interesting to see what happened to it at that price.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 21:50

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510238080248?page=2&model=a5&make=audi&postcode=cm241qw&sort=priceasc&search-target=usedcars&radius=1500&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&logcode=p

Why burst the budget. Some nice a5 lower down the scale but obviously higher miles etc

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 11/11/2015 22:16

An ex neighbour had exactly the a5 you're looking at, he loves it! Red it is, lots of toys and he's been really impressed, he traded it in for a new non Quat and hated it and went back to audi and swapped back!!!

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 12/11/2015 04:23

Bob, if you do look at the 4.2 V8 (which sound amazing) it would be worth taking it for a carbon clean. By 40K miles the intake is pretty gummed up and will really benefit from a clean. It costs around £100 for the service so factor that into your costs or add it to the discount you're looking for.

Give me a shout if you've got any questions on the car or the optional extras, I ticked all the options boxes when I ordered my RS5, some of the options are great, some are pointless and not worth paying extra for.

I love the big coupe, I hope you do too.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 12/11/2015 11:12

There was a time when I would have been silly enough to have gone for the V8 without any thought of if I could afford to run / own it. Somewhat sadly those days are gone and the sensible head tends to dominate proceedings... so sadly no S5 or RS5 is on the cards for me frown

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 12/11/2015 11:24

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
Cheap Audi A5

Why burst the budget. Some nice a5 lower down the scale but obviously higher miles etc

Wow that one is cheap.

Having looked at quite a few adverts I have decided that I much prefer the S-line specification to the SE. The Black headlining, upgraded MMI, S-line seats, styling touches and Xenon Plus lamps are all items I would like. If I could find one the Black Edition with the privacy glass, B&O sound and black rather than chrome trim, would be even better.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 12/11/2015 20:57

Alfa Brera 3.2 V6 ? I do love the shape and have been tempted, a late model pro drive model for around £12-15k
Posted By: Serg1

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 10:09

I looked at the Brera and GT, asked around and all positive feed-back came from GT owners, so GT it was. Very pleased.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 14:05

Went to see a 2.7 S-Line Multitronic yesterday. We really liked the S-line spec and the A5 Coupé is growing on us too. The car was in white and had after market tints which didn't look good on the rear window frown The car looked a bit scruffy in places but inside there was little sign of wear and the car actually looked ok. All it did was convince me I didn't want the 2.7!

Having done some more research I have now ruled out the 2.0Tfsi, 2.7tdi, 2.0tdi, Multitronic and S-tronic.

If I go A5 it has to be 3.0 with Quattro and tiptronic or manual gearbox and as higher spec as can be found. There are a few sought after options on my list so I can narrow down the search.

On the way home we stopped to see another A5. It was a soft top, which we don't want but thought it would be good to get a feel of the cars. sadly it had sold but a blooming Passat CC caught the wife's eye. have to say it was rather nice - 2012, low mileage and in budget, just seems a bit too big!

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 14:18

Originally Posted By: Serg1
I looked at the Brera and GT, asked around and all positive feed-back came from GT owners, so GT it was. Very pleased.

The Brera was on my list. I've looked and driven a few but sadly they just didn't feel that well put together to me frown

About three years ago I looked for a GT but I just couldn't find a nice one frown I spent a couple of weeks trawling dealers and looked at perhaps 15 GT's. They all either had issues or were looking like the mileage had been adjusted. There was just one that I considered buying but even that had window issues - not dropping when the door was opened. We went to Leeds to collect my son from Uni and rather than take the train home (Car was full of his stuff) I bought a very cheap 2005 156. Sadly I have never liked the 156, it was a significant backwards step from the much older 166 . Regrettably I don't think I'll ever have another Alfa frown

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 14:24

Oh, on the way home yesterday we were passed on the A14 by a brand new UK spec Bright Orange Ford Mustang Coupé. I jokingly said to the Mr's "shall we just go to the Ford Dealer and order one of those"? I got the reply I wanted but I don't think she meant it.. " Oh for God's sake, if that's what you want to do!"

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 14:59

Originally Posted By: Barmybob
Oh, on the way home yesterday we were passed on the A14 by a brand new UK spec Bright Orange Ford Mustang Coupé. I jokingly said to the Mr's "shall we just go to the Ford Dealer and order one of those"? I got the reply I wanted but I don't think she meant it.. " Oh for God's sake, if that's what you want to do!"

Bob, you're bonkers!! laugh

From a MK1 TT to a Mustang......

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 16:35

Originally Posted By: bezzer

Bob, you're bonkers!! laugh

Yep -- "Barmy"Bob smile

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/11/2015 19:29

I guess the madness comes from not knowing exactly what it is that I want! Big car - small car - quick or economical I just don't know. All I do know is that even a big budget, for me, can seem quite small when you are looking for cars.
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 08:22

Would you consider a hot hatch?

Something like an Audi S3 is still a nice place to be and returns decent MPG. If you wanted something more modern then an Astra VXR GTC might just squeeze into your budget. The MK3 Focus ST is suppose to be a very good car too but is only available in 5dr.

Nissan 370z is a nice car which also sounds good and goes well,but MPG maybe lower than you'd like. A neighbour has the black edition whigh has the dark alloys and red leather and it looks fantastic.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 13:11

I did look at the Focus but a colleague, who had one, has warned of their fuel thirst. Also quite concerning how rust seems to be an issue on some of the post 2006 cars.

Also looked at a Nissan, looks don't work for me.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 17:16

That's because you always look at the very top of your budget and then just a bit past! I'm terrible for doing it, try hunting about 10% down so you're not drawn into the stuff that's just out of reach.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 17:32

That's because you always look at the very top of your budget and then just a bit past! I'm terrible for doing it, try hunting about 10% down so you're not drawn into the stuff that's just out of reach.

Now that's not very petrolhead is it Muzzie!

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 19:12

Some ideas:

linky
Posted By: barnacle

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 19:18

Seen this month's C&SC, Bob? They're highlighting the 3.2 TT...
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 20:42

Biased of course, BMW Z4M Coupe smile

Likely to increase in value, I'm getting 27mpg from my 45 mile a day commute, impressive noise, performance and a nice place to be. Harsh ride but can be improved.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 21:36

Get something interesting, life is too short. At a guess you'd be doing around 16,000 per annum, so whilst lower mpg will cost you, it's not the end of the world. Surely you can get a nice V6 that'll do enough to the gallon on a run...

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/11/2015 21:37

Originally Posted By: Fishy_Dave
Biased of course, BMW Z4M Coupe smile

Likely to increase in value, I'm getting 27mpg from my 45 mile a day commute, impressive noise, performance and a nice place to be. Harsh ride but can be improved.

Depreciation is a good point. My Golf R32 mpg was pretty poor at around 23mpg average, but it lost so little money over the 18 months I owned it, that a boring diesel rep machine would have cost more over the period.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 16/11/2015 20:12

Guys, thanks for all the tips and links

I've still not bought anything but I have viewed quite a varied selection at local dealers. Today I had a few spare hours and viewed a 2010 Focus ST3 2.5 for £10K and a New 2013 Focus 2.0 ST2 for £15K. The older car was fine but the newer car was much better. It still didn't feel like my kind of car though crazy Also looked at another Scirocco, a VW CC and a Volvo S40.

Frustratingly I've still not decided what it is I want but I think the A5 Quattro with a 3.0Tdi looks to be leading the way. I have got some lined up to view on my days off, they are all a few miles away and with the spec / mileage I'm after they are all pushing the top end of the budget rolleyes Today I have also spotted a TTS for sale which with over 300hp and sub 5 sec to 60 I might just have to go and view evil

With regard the 156. I've finally found the cause of the water leak. It is not the water pump it is the plastic water rail at the front of the engine. Pipe now ordered from Steve at AA.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 17/11/2015 00:20

WOW and nice in WHITE too.. Yes I know the BUDGET.... But I could push a bit more I'm sure blush

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 17/11/2015 00:53

Those Z4M's look different..

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 17/11/2015 06:46

Is that a good or bad thing for you Bob?

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 17/11/2015 12:29

The seats in the White TTS are the Audi sports bucket seats, an expensive option, great for performance but have a good sit in them and decide if you think they are suitable for a daily driver.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 10:25

Doubt one would tick your mid 30's mpg box!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 11:55

Doubt one would tick your mid 30's mpg box!

Yeah, but the boxes it does tick means you really wouldn't notice...

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 13:07

The difference between 35mpg and say 27mpg on 16,000 miles is around £50 per month.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 13:25

Originally Posted By: Jonny
The difference between 35mpg and say 27mpg on 16,000 miles is around £50 per month.

True. But old Bob may need that 50 quid......

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 15:25

If you are looking at the Audi 3.0 tdi Quattro auto do some extensive testing on pulling away when both cold and hot.

My parents have the A5 cabriolet and the car is currently away having the gearbox rebuilt. Audi wanted to charge just short of 14k to resolve the issue, but my dad being in the business has found an indy, but the costs are still likely to be near 4k to repair.

There is a well known issue that the gearbox does not kick in till the revs are high or been up for a while causing unpredictable driving that can be dangerous.

Problems aside, both my parents love the car and have no complaints about anything. My dad actually prefers enthusiastic driving in the A5 to his 911 turbo.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 19:10

True. But old Bob may need that 50 quid......

You have to be careful though, as you need to look at the full cost of motoring. Depreciation on a standard £14K car is around £200 per month. So you have to include this along with all other running costs.

Or take a diesel that needs a new set of injectors/dpf. That would wipe out a large chunk of any saving when comparing petrol with diesel. It's really not straightforward to calculate the real expected costs with the complexity of modern vehicles.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 19:23

Out of my curiosity (as an accountant rolleyes) , I've calculated the cost per mile for just fuel and depreciation on my Golf R32 over 18 months and 9000 miles...

The cost was 34p per mile. For reference the mpg was 23...

If I took a diesel at the same price-point doing 40mpg and estimat it lost 25% of its value over the 18 months (probably more in reality), then the cost per mile would have been 46p...

See, fuel inefficient cars are cheaper to run laugh Ok, so there are lots of variables, but the sentiment remains.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 20:03

Jonny, if I ever need an accountant to persuade me (or more likely someone else...) of the reasoning behind a car purchase, you are top of the list!

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 20:04

On a more on-topic note, I'm sure someone must have mentioned the BMW 130i and/or 135i?
Decent rwd performance and 30mpg achievable. Sometimes.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/11/2015 21:21

Today was spent repairing the Alfa (Water Leak) I can now travel to see some of the vehicles I've been watching without having to constantly top up.

I've never been a fan of BMW's so have not really looked at them. The Z4 does look interesting though.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 19/11/2015 07:04

Out of my curiosity (as an accountant rolleyes) , I've calculated the cost per mile for just fuel and depreciation on my Golf R32 over 18 months and 9000 miles...

The cost was 34p per mile. For reference the mpg was 23...

If I took a diesel at the same price-point doing 40mpg and estimat it lost 25% of its value over the 18 months (probably more in reality), then the cost per mile would have been 46p...

See, fuel inefficient cars are cheaper to run laugh Ok, so there are lots of variables, but the sentiment remains.

That's an interesting comparison.

Bob, are you calculating the pence per mile cost on the cars you've been looking at?
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 19/11/2015 07:57

Man maths from an accountant cool laugh

Yes, depreciation is frequently the biggest cost, so I'd decided long ago to choose a car that shouldn't depreciate too much (if at all) over fuel economy. I could never understand the customers that would buy cars from me when at Toyota just to save an extra few £ on rfl and mpg when they had just lost £6000 on depreciation crazy

The Z4M is so far the best car I've owned, it's a shame we're not more local Bob would have been good to have given you a demonstration evil wink

As an aside I'm either buying an E46 325ti or 130i as a run around this weekend.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 19/11/2015 08:15

Is there somewhere I can see what the depreciation on new/used cars is?

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 19/11/2015 09:19

I think Whatcar have a depreciation guide. Generally work on 50% over 3 years, but it can vary considerably. Also the greater the 'prestige' of the car, the lower the depreciation. Of course there are normal factors such as mileage, petrol vs diesel, option boxes ticked etc.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 19/11/2015 14:28

Depreciation is one reason I usually buy privately. Unless you need all the dealer trimmings buying privately usually bags a car much cheaper.

Having said all that I have just viewed a car at a trader that I might just complete on! I'm taking it out on an extended test drive on Saturday.

It's a 2010 Audi A5, 3.0 Tdi Auto, S-line with the special edition pack. It is in Black with black leather and has under 60K. I spent a good hour with the car today and found several items that need addressing. That said the guy has just collected the car (Audi dealer Trade in) and it hasn't even been prepared yet. Have to say I am rather impressed so far, just need to go for the test drive and see if he will do a deal, he has hinted he will.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 20/11/2015 08:06

Fingers crossed Bob..........

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 21/11/2015 09:03

Worst thing you can ever do is visit an owners forum. The horror stories on there seriously have me reconsidering if I want to return to Audi... At least when you have an Alfa and it goes wrong you don't need to rob a bank to fix it.

Still taking the A5 3.0 TDi Quattro out today but I am now having serious doubts coffee

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 21/11/2015 10:06

A bit of a wild card but what about a Lexus IS ? Lots of choice within budget and some good engines.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 21/11/2015 15:14

Too late....

I HAVE BOUGHT AN AUDI A5

3.0 Tdi Quattro, Auto, S-line Special edition in black. Loads of extras too including MMI-3g+, DAB radio, Bluetooth, Electric seats, Auto dimming mirrors (All) and dark tint rear windows.

That's me skint now then!

Weather was perfect for taking out a Quattro. The grip is epic and the torque from that V6 engine is just stunning.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 21/11/2015 19:16

Lol, well done Bob laugh

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 21/11/2015 19:21

Fab! Hope you love it for years to come.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 21/11/2015 20:45

Well done Bob.

I love the sound of a V6 diesel. My mate has the 2.5Tdi.

Enjoy the Haldex in the snow !!

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 22/11/2015 12:38

Feels odd buying from a dealer, not done that for a long time. I am reasonably happy with the deal but the car will be booked in with the specialist to see if I've missed anything. If all is ok then a full service with all oils & filters will follow.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 22/11/2015 16:46

Advertised my Alfa 156 on a facebook selling page last night and it was gone by 09:30 this morning. I'm not even in the slightest bit upset to see it gone. It served me well really, other than coil packs, but I have hated the 156 since the day I bought it, over two years ago laugh Its only saving grace has been that it was cheap to buy and didn't really owe me anything.

I have to say I was happy with the facebook selling page, quick, easy and local. I will list the 17 inch summer wheels and all the remaining Alfa 166 stuff I still have taking up room - Time for a complete Alfa separation.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 23/11/2015 06:36

Well done Bob!!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the beast.
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 24/11/2015 14:36

Congrats on the new car, Bob. I'm also looking forward to the pics.

Which Facebook selling page did you use out of curiosity?

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 24/11/2015 15:19

I used Facebook. It was just a cars for sale locally page.

collected the car today, will try and get some decent pictures up this week.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 07:34

When I test drove this Audi I was impressed with its smoothness. There was a nice sound from the V6 and the Automatic gearbox (7 Speed DSG) seemed a perfect match to the engine. I could feel that there was some power but I never really exploited it. Overall I was very happy with the car and the package. I thought the Diesel could save me a few £££'s on the annual fuel bill, the specification was sweet and the Coupé looked really nice too.

A few days of ownership has though shocked me, and burst a few of my bubbles.

Bubble 1 (Diesels aren't fast).
Yes I remember seeing that top gear thing where J.C said that the 330d was almost as quick as the M5 but I had conveniently forgotten I had seen it! Well... the Audi 3.0 V6 is just as impressive. The acceleration of this thing is mind numbing. This week has been very wet but this Quattro just grips and goes. Standing starts are nothing less than impressive, my Coupe wouldn't touch it frown
But the most impressive aspect of this car is not the 0-60 of sub 6 seconds it is the in gear acceleration. The DSG probably helps here but when you want to accelerate this car just goes shocked

Bubble 2 (Diesels ace economical)
Erm... I think this needs some perspective. For a car that is currently performing like my Coupé "On Boost" then yes it is somewhat economical. I would never see anything above 20mpg from the Coupé in that situation. However, even when driven sensibly I feel that late 30's mpg will be optimistic for the Audi shocked

Bubble 3 (I don't miss owning Audi's)
I think I have been deluding myself. After just a few days I already feel like I am home. My last Audi was a 1992 2.8 V6 80 Quattro. I had kept it for years and didn't progress to the then A4 as I really didn't like it. It could just be the honeymoon period, but almost every aspect of this car has me wondering why I haven't bought one sooner confused

Yesterday I had the car checked out at an independent Audi Specialist and the car was given a clean bill of health, other than needing tyres. I am currently chasing down a set of smaller wheels, 17's with winter tyres. These 19 inch Y spokes are sweet but they seem rather venerable and you can't easily see potholes when it's dark!

So, my new affair continues love There are no plans to sell the Coupé though I do wory that it may not feel so special when I get it out next summer frown

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 27/11/2015 07:40

What's your budget Bob?

Around about £14k

Erm yes, about that...... I spent just over £16K blush

But I sold the 156 smile .... really cheap blush frown

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 27/11/2015 07:54

Really glad you like it Bob. Well worth the wait. Seems your homework paid off.

I have to wait until March before I go shopping.

My budget is less than yours, I only have around £12k to play with. Current favourite is a diesel RCZ blush

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 09:19

I have around £12k to play with.

It would appear I am not the ONLY one with a flexible budget hehe thumb

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 09:27

Current favourite is a diesel RCZ blush

I actually looked over two of those at Marshall's in Cambridge.

One & Two

Both were Petrol frown They do look quite nice though.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 09:29

Nice update Bob - it's great to hear such passion and enthusiasm about a car - any car! I hope by the time you get back in the Coupe, you'll remember why you love it, too.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 09:55

I have around £12k to play with.

It would appear I am not the ONLY one with a flexible budget hehe thumb

laugh

Yes, like you I decided my initial budget wasn't going to get me something new enough. Your chap who said the DSG equipped TT was one to avoid made me look elsewhere with an increased bubget.

I'm going to test drive this RCZ tomorrow. I can't buy one yet but would like to see if they drive ok.

And yes, I know they're not everyone's cuppa tea.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 12:06

Much as Pugs are nice to drive, I could never recommend them as a brand. I've had 2 from new (307 and 208) and both have had significant problems.

Makes my Coupe look totally reliable.

My 208 is currently in the main dealer having a slipping clutch looked at (20k miles from new !!!). Not to mention the replacement top mounts after 6k miles. And the suspension still rattles. Apparently, that's "normal." Oh and the paint is 0.000001 microns thick. I scratched it by sneezing the other day.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 13:02

Much as Pugs are nice to drive, I could never recommend them as a brand. I've had 2 from new (307 and 208) and both have had significant problems.

Makes my Coupe look totally reliable.

My 208 is currently in the main dealer having a slipping clutch looked at (20k miles from new !!!). Not to mention the replacement top mounts after 6k miles. And the suspension still rattles. Apparently, that's "normal." Oh and the paint is 0.000001 microns thick. I scratched it by sneezing the other day.

On the other hand, my wife has a 5008. She's had it for 4 years now, done 60k miles in it, and with 95k on the clock, it hasn't missed a beat. Original clutch and original exhaust. Even all the electrics work!

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 13:46

OK I know you've all been waiting so here are a few pictures. Winter does not do the car any favours, it's filthy frown

On the test drive
click to enlarge

On the drive
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

I think having one of these during the summer may have influenced my decision?
click to enlarge

2 door Coupé, Auto, Full Leather, Great sound and media system, lots of toys and no space in the back. crazy
Posted By: MCMike

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 15:25

oh no it's a diseasel ! laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 16:48

On the other hand, my wife has a 5008. She's had it for 4 years now, done 60k miles in it, and with 95k on the clock, it hasn't missed a beat. Original clutch and original exhaust. Even all the electrics work!

Fair point. I expect it's the same for many brands. It's a bit hit and miss. I do have a deep distrust for French cars though. A bit hypocritical for an Italian car owner I know !

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 17:59

That looks very nice Bob, congratulations!!

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 27/11/2015 20:29

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 28/11/2015 09:49

Congrats Barmybob cool
Elegant and powerfull (the Audi that is)

idea Audibob
click to enlarge

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 28/11/2015 11:44

Looks fab Bob, well done.

And tell Mrs BB to smile laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 28/11/2015 15:03

That's a sweet ride Bob. What is its weight ?

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 28/11/2015 17:54

I really like the A5. Stands out from the other Audi offerings at the moment. Perfect time to buy a quattro with this this weather laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 05/12/2015 23:05

Quick update:

I saw a set of 17 inch wheels with nearly new winter tyres on E-bay the other day. £450 later and we are now on winters. The wheels look a bit uglier than the 19's but they are like new with good tyres too. The tyres with their large sidewalls should offer a bit more wheel protection and better winter grip too. Car still rides firm with the sports suspension pack but there is a bit more give than with the 19's. I am still loving the car hugely and would say it is one of the quickest point to point cars I've owned in many years, if not ever. Not since my old original Quattro have I driven anything that gives me as much confidence. That said the drivetrain has moved on significantly since the 80's. So whilst it may not be as nimble as the old car it seems to under-steer far less. But the real star of the show is this motor, it is just epic. I urge everyone to go and test drive one, it can make even the most devout petrol head smile.

There was also a bit of a scare this week.

I was looking through my emails and noticed that I had a couple of HPI checks left, so I ran one on the car. The result was a bit alarming! It came back showing the car as having Finance!! The HPI report gave the details so I made the call to VW finance. Yes they still had a financial interest in the car shocked

I then called the trader who sold me the car as "HPI & Finance clear." He was genuinely shocked as I relayed the details. He urged me to give him time to find out what was going on and said he would call me back ASAP. Sure enough an hour later he called back - the poop had hit the fan. He told me that the Audi dealer, who they bought the car from, hadn't paid down the finance. He said he had been assured by them that it would be sorted the same day. Not that I didn't trust the guys story but I too decided to call Audi to check. Indeed the dealer had failed to pay the finance after they had accepted the car in part exchange. They assured me they had now made full payment.

Fortunately everything is now sorted and the finance company have confirmed they no longer have any claim on the vehicle, PHEW. Next week I am going to pop into the seller and push for a cheap DSG gearbox oil change, hopefully with some goodwill contribution element from the Audi dealer.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 07/12/2015 22:41

And more good news...

I visited the place that sold me the car today. He called up Audi and got them to book me in for a Gearbox oil and filter change for £50 less than their usual price. smile
Posted By: DaveG

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 07/12/2015 23:42

Oh great £950 instead of £1,000? wink laugh
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 08/12/2015 12:56

Silly question but can you fit a mountain bike into the boot and fold the seats flat?

I really like the idea of the A5 3.0 just not sure how practical it would be.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 08/12/2015 13:48

Originally Posted By: DaveG
Oh great £950 instead of £1,000? wink laugh

No not quite as bad smile it works out at just over 25%

Originally Posted By: sugerbear
Silly question but can you fit a mountain bike into the boot and fold the seats flat?
I really like the idea of the A5 3.0 just not sure how practical it would be.

With an A5 sport-back, easily. I would think that it should fit in the Coupé too but you might need to twist / align the handle bars. I managed to get the 4 x 17 inch winter wheels / tyres in the back but it was a bit tight.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 09/12/2015 13:31

I was going through the thread I started 6 weeks ago regarding a new car. This made me smile -

My budget is sub £5000 with a desire to spend as little as possible.

laugh

I hope to have some news by the end of next week regarding my new car.....

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 09/12/2015 17:36

Good to hear... Budget out of the window like mine? laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 10/12/2015 07:08

Good to hear... Budget out of the window like mine? laugh

Yes. It's going to be double what I initially wanted to spend hehe

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 11/12/2015 01:32

We only get to take this trip once mate... If you can afford it go For It evil

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 14/12/2015 23:40

Finally managed to get some time to clean it today and fortunately the weather was ok too. This was the first time I've had a chance to really examine the body work. The roof needed claying as there was lots of sap on there. Overall I've found a few small scratches / marks, some bird poop damage and a small dent that I hadn't noticed before! They should all be easily fixable, when the weather gets better. So after a good wash and a little bit of work on the roof, finished off with a swift polish and sealing the car is looking rather fine.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

That said, these winter wheels have still not grown on me... I should have spent a bit more and gone for S-line 18's. Can't wait to get the Summer 19's back on rolleyes

I also added one of these today... A Cool gadget cool
click to enlarge

Oh and I also spoke to an Audi tuning place and discussed mapping today too. It is possible to get a gearbox re-map for faster changes and there is also an Engine performance map option too... A REVO Stage 1 offers about 300hp and up to 600nm of toque shocked

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 15/12/2015 06:19

Looking good, never seen those wheels before!

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 15/12/2015 07:32

It does look great, I agree about the wheels Bob, they look really small on such a big car. They look lost in those arches. Maybe spraying them black or grey will help make them blend in?

Saying this, who cares, if you are happy, so what smile
Posted By: evo_number_one

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 24/12/2015 01:14

Only just seen this Bob - Your A5 looks extremely love.

Get that engine map sorted pronto.

600nm torque through 4wd sounds like fun - its certainly entertaining having that much at your disposal through just the Jags rear end laugh

Merry Christmas mate

Bob

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 24/12/2015 20:12

Hey Bobby, nice to hear from you smile

I'm still totally enjoying the Audi and keep buying little trinkets for it. The wireless charging plate is really cool smile I'm also now starting to get MPG returns much closer to the 40's. This week I got 355 miles on just over 40 litres, quite happy with that.

Still not over happy with the looks of the 17's, will be great to get the smart ones back on.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 15/01/2016 10:19

And then yesterday.....

I was talking to Adam about doing something else to the Audi and got a response I wasn't expecting...

"Dad, you bought the Audi to get to and from work. Yes it's a nice car and it looks good, but it's no Coupé. The Coupé turns heads and people comment when you park it or fill up. Nobody is interested in the Audi, it's just another Audi that looks much like any other Audi, there are loads of them everywhere."

Kind of told me rolleyes

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 15/01/2016 10:30

Good point, well made! Although your lad sounds a lot more polite than my stepsons.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 15/01/2016 10:37

I did perhaps use an element of editorial judgement laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 15/01/2016 12:10

Yes I'm suffering the same thing from my 3 children.

Apparently a TT is a girly car.
I'm too old for a Fiesta ST-2 (probably correct on this one)
A DS3 is a noddy car and are 10 a penny

and........

A BRZ isn't a proper Scooby (My son said that, he wants me to get an STi again).

Cotton wool in ears laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 18/05/2016 22:20

But not an ST-3 laugh

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 19/05/2016 07:27

But not an ST-3 laugh

Hmmmmm.

In my defence your honour, I went and test drove another one and concentrated more on the seating position. Having Recaros it is just so comfortable and supportive of my dodgy back and troublesome leg.

My lad (14), said it's a bit of a 'boy racer' car. To a point, I have to agree smile

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 20/05/2016 02:57

I've only gone and booked a viewing of 2014 TTRS/Plus on Sunday blush And I have an appointment tomorrow to see if Audi can come anywhere near an Orange wheels quote on a new S5 blush blush

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 20/05/2016 07:15

Have you outgrown the A5's performance already, Bob?!

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 20/05/2016 07:42

Still loving my A5, don't get me wrong. The torque is fantastic and addictive but I also like the way the car looks and drives. We have decided it makes a bit more sense to make a big purchase whilst we are both working and not just wait and use the pension pot.

I confess I still like the idea of a 5 cylinder 20V Turbo TTRS+ and have read up on them extensively. This is why I have booked to go and see one. When my colleague saw the price of the car he had me spec up an S5 too. Whilst an RS5 would be great car to own they are perhaps just a bit too pricey to buy and own frown

That said I am aware that the blown S5 can be chip tuned to match the RS5 crazy

S5 spec was big and it came out at silly money. My colleague then entered the same specification into the Orange wheels website, he has just used them to buy a fully loaded Golf R with a huge discount. He gave me a price which was 20% off the OTR price but shockingly is only £4k more than the TTRS I am going to see shocked

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 20/05/2016 08:09

I've only gone and booked a viewing of 2014 TTRS/Plus on Sunday blush And I have an appointment tomorrow to see if Audi can come anywhere near an Orange wheels quote on a new S5 blush blush

Nice one Bob thumb

Let us know how it goes.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 20/05/2016 23:47

I almost signed on the dotted line today, until I went for the test drive.

I hate to say this but the S5 just didn't really do it for me frown The car was constantly changing gear seemingly looking for revs. At 50mph in 6th put your foot down slightly and it drops a couple of gears, it never seems to just use the torque. Enter dynamic - sport mode and it sharpens the throttle resulting in even more gear changes. It all sounds great with a really nice exhaust note and blips on changes but the downside is fuel consumption. The gentle drive was returning 28mpg but this quickly dropped to sub 20's when I exploited the power shocked

Having lived with the A5 Tdi for a few months the low down torque (500Nm) has become hugely addictive, as has MPG figures which mostly stay in the late 30's..... so what next?

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 21/05/2016 05:53

Remap?

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 21/05/2016 08:18

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
Remap?

Funny you should say this. I left Audi yesterday afternoon wondering if my a5 has perhaps already been done? I still can't believe that an S5 should feel so slow confused Maybe I just needed to thrash it more?

I went out in an S5 before but that was a N/A V8 and it just felt quicker. But that was before I got used to the shove of my car.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 21/05/2016 20:02

Maybe a £50 rolling road will help confirm before the expense of a remap.

If not I'd go that route first and hopefully make hell of a difference especially as you do love the car for what it is atm

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 21/05/2016 20:09

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/remapped-a5-3-0-tdi-vs-stock-s5.113524/
Just had a quick glance at this. Few years old mind

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 21/05/2016 23:07

I hate to say this but the S5 just didn't really do it for me frown The car was constantly changing gear seemingly looking for revs. At 50mph in 6th put your foot down slightly and it drops a couple of gears, it never seems to just use the torque. Enter dynamic - sport mode and it sharpens the throttle resulting in even more gear changes. It all sounds great with a really nice exhaust note and blips on changes but the downside is fuel consumption. The gentle drive was returning 28mpg but this quickly dropped to sub 20's when I exploited the power shocked

Having lived with the A5 Tdi for a few months the low down torque (500Nm) has become hugely addictive, as has MPG figures which mostly stay in the late 30's..... so what next?

Turbos for you.

Test an M5 or XFR - if you didn't like the audi. The BMW takes some effort but is very rewarding to drive. The jag does not hunt for gears, it has power everywhere.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 22/05/2016 08:24

Turbos for you.

Test an M5 or XFR - if you didn't like the audi. The BMW takes some effort but is very rewarding to drive. The jag does not hunt for gears, it has power everywhere.

Agreed. They add another dimension of driving. Plus double the hp and plenty more torque. Had a lovely drive the other day in dynamic mode shocked

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 22/05/2016 17:57

An M5 or an XFR would be in the Audi RS5 camp. I have driven an RS5 and it was epic. But I couldn't really afford to run one whilst I must get to and from work.

I was looking at an S5 as a compromise but left unimpressed. I called and skipped the TTRS today, £36K for a second hand TT just seems a bit too much frown

I am also considering waiting for the "NEW" Audi A5's to be released next year. The current A5 is an eight year old design and it is starting to look a bit dated, especially inside. The new Audi's with their virtual dashboard are so futuristic looking and a joy to use.

Today we looked at the new MX5 and Mrs BB is now pestering me to place a deposit on the NEW Fiat 124 rolleyes

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 22/05/2016 18:50

The Jag will cost peanuts (servicing/parts) compared with the M5 or Audi. Have a look into the total motoring cost and you might be surprised.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 22/05/2016 20:00

Trish decided on the 124 instead of the (nasty looking) MX5 then Bob?

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 22/05/2016 20:02

Today we looked at the new MX5 and Mrs BB is now pestering me to place a deposit on the NEW Fiat 124 rolleyes

Mrs G (Anna) says BUY IT Bob !!!

laugh
Posted By: DaveG

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 22/05/2016 22:54

There's a minimum £1000 deposit on a new 124 Spider, only the limited edition (124 in each country of Europe it seems) "Anniversary" edition in dark red. Although you can also offer money to Abarth dealers as well if you fancy the 160bhp version rather than the 140bhp version. Of course the dealer won't tell you if there are any left, but they will take your money and apply to Fiat and then tell you if you have been successful in reserving one. The deposit is refundable come September or whenever if you decide, having seen and driven it, that you don't want it. My local Abarth dealer reckons a LHD Abarth 124 Spider will be at the Festival of Speed...

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 23/05/2016 01:58

Trish did take out the new MX5 today, she loved it, good deal on finance too with 50% down the rest on 0% chinny

When we popped to Fiat the fellow did try to convince us to participate in the £1000 deposit for a Limited edition. It is quite possible that it would be a good deal but there are just a couple of tiny problems. Trish wants a white one and they won't be about until September... when summer has almost gone frown

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 23/05/2016 20:20

An M5 or an XFR would be in the Audi RS5 camp. I have driven an RS5 and it was epic. But I couldn't really afford to run one whilst I must get to and from work.

Fair comment!

Big step change from a TT rs to a fiat 124!
What about the new focus rs?? Everything you'd ever want in a car and if you keep it for 10 years you'll probably get your money back!

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 23/05/2016 22:48

Ha, yes laugh The TTRS and S5 were for me....

The MX5 / Fiat 124 is for the Mrs, today she too is having doubts crazy

She hauled me off to look at a blooming white 1.8 TT roadster today rolleyes It's a few years old but has done less than 40,000 miles. It is really tidy and really well put together. She liked it and is taking it out later this week! (Would save me a few ££££ too smile )

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 24/05/2016 17:39

Still think the focus rs would be perfect, I'd be tempted to swap jag in for one if it wasn't a bit small.

Re: Bob really loves Audis! - 24/05/2016 20:54

Well another TT viewed. This one a 2010 2.0 Tdi Quattro, S-line special edition. It has quite high miles but is in perfect condition.

click to enlarge

Bought It!

We are now a two Audi family smile

Re: Bob really loves Audis! - 24/05/2016 20:57

The Focus RS is a cracking car at a cracking price. At 50+ though I just feel I look a bit silly in it, though not as much as I would in the new Civic shocked

Re: Bob really loves Audis! - 25/05/2016 06:41

We are not a two Audi family smile

Yes you are!

Re: Bob really loves Audis! - 25/05/2016 07:04

The Focus RS is a cracking car at a cracking price. At 50+ though I just feel I look a bit silly in it, though not as much as I would in the new Civic shocked

Half the rsoc will be of classic vintage, but I know what you mean.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Re: Bob really loves Audis! - 25/05/2016 07:28

Nice one Bob, you got there eventually wink

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 05/06/2016 18:12

I have driven an RS5 and it was epic. But I couldn't really afford to run one whilst I must get to and from work.

I'll just leave these here for you Bob.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

On a normal drive it will return around 25mpg so driven carefully I'd imagine 27mpg is possible so don't be too deterred by economy.
I've added a few mods to this now, the Eventuri intake, Capristo exhaust and carbon ceramic brakes from an RS6, it's pretty quick!

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 06/06/2016 07:51

Beautiful Jimbo, just beautiful.

I love that colour.

Re: (CHANGED) Bob loves Audis! - 06/06/2016 08:19

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

click to enlarge

It's nice to see a newer engine without some boring plastic cover cool

Yes it's back - another what car thread - 30/07/2016 09:39

I've had the A5 3.0 Tdi since December and do truly love the thing..... but.

I have pennies sat in the bank and have been thinking of buying something new, different or just going for the newer A5.

Later today I have an appointment to view a 2013 facelift A5 3.0 Tdi. The spec is almost identical to my current car with a few improvements and lower (Half) the mileage. The only thing holding me back is the thought of spending £26k on an old Audi.

I had considered borrowing a bit of money and stretching to the new Focus RS but I think £30K is a bit too steep.

So the Audi is up for £26K, what else should I consider at that price? Preferably a 2 door Coupé but I could be swayed laugh
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 30/07/2016 10:11

I'd like to help, BB, but I have to admit that I've become seriously disillusioned with the current crop of cars. The newer E Class goes back next month and I really have no idea what to replace it with. Part of the issue is that we don't need a similar car (TG - because the new E Class is a disappointment) and part of the reason is that I've tried some cars I thought I'd like (AMG A45, Alfa 4C) and have been underwhelmed.

Sorry - that's not meant to be a thread hijack - just more to wish you good luck in your search. If you like the A5, I'd stick with them.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 30/07/2016 10:39

Lexus ISF

You need a V8 in your life.
laugh

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 30/07/2016 12:01

Lexus ISF

You need a V8 in your life.
laugh

I would be really worried about my fuel costs if I did take a V8 shocked I think I had probably best leave them for my Holiday rentals, well at least until I retire evil smile

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 30/07/2016 12:41

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
I've tried some cars I thought I'd like..... and have been underwhelmed.

I know what you mean. When I bought the A5, and a diesel, I made so many compromises. A big heavy car, diesel and Auto. But I have actually found the 3.0 Tdi to be a far more entertaining motor than I ever expected. What you miss in power is more than compensated for in torque. The DSG is also something I've grown to like. An Auto for when you just want to get somewhere but entertaining when you want a bit of fun.

But it's a big car and this is what makes the new Focus RS look interesting, even though I don't really like fords!
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 30/07/2016 12:54

I'm out of my depth here as I haven't really strayed from the Tipo platform for a decade or more, but one car I promised myself if I ever won the lottery is the Aston Martin Vantage V8. A 2006 model would be within your budget.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 31/07/2016 17:37

An Aston forms part of my retirement plan, but sadly it is getting pushed lower down the list. The Mr's is making noises about retiring elsewhere which I suspect will not be cheap.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 31/07/2016 18:00

Get the Aston before you retire mate. Life is to blinking short.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 31/07/2016 20:02

Running costs would really hurt and the worry of something going wrong would probably bring on an early grave laugh

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 31/07/2016 21:20

What about an epic BMW 535D? 0-60 in under 6 seconds....

Zee oltimate drivink machine.

Apparently. rolleyes

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 01/08/2016 01:09

Very evenly matched with the current A5 but I just don't like the Beemers. The Audi really does look so much better inside too, even though it does feel a bit dated.

I liked the black A5 I saw yesterday but I'm not sure about another black one. I'm tempted to take a trip to see a Sepang Blue (Same colour as Jim's RS5 above) but it's a bit far away and a bit expensive, approaching new Focus RS money.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 01/08/2016 16:18

. . .but I just don't like the Beemers. The Audi really does look so much better inside too, even though it does feel a bit dated.

When BarmyBob was a wee bit younger (that's pre-Coupé era) his heart was racing whenever he saw (or heard) these: click you tube
Right Bob love

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 01/08/2016 18:39

Hell yes smile

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 01/08/2016 23:42

Perhaps this is the answer Bob. You need to go old school. Not necessarily a Quattro but something fast with soul.

Another classic to polish.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 02/08/2016 08:05

Lancia Delta Integrale. F**k it, just do it...... ahahahaha

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 02/08/2016 18:44

I'm tempted to take a trip to see a Sepang Blue (Same colour as Jim's RS5 above) but it's a bit far away and a bit expensive, approaching new Focus RS money.

What's the spec of the RS Bob?

I've not driven the Focus RS but I have sat in one at the showroom, the Audi seems a nicer place and a much higher quality than the Ford. I'm sure he Ford is a hoot to drive though and driving he RS will be a completely different experience than driving your diesel.
The diesel will be quite lazy with bags of torque low down, the RS is the opposite, in dynamic mode it holds the revs at 4000rpm minimum to keep it on the boil, but with an 8500rpm redline it feels a little unnatural at first to hear the engine revving away. But what a sound!!

You really need to test drive it.

Post the spec up or a link to the car if you can.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 04/08/2016 13:56

I did go and take a look at this RS5 at Stansted Audi. A fantastic car but £29K seems a bit steep for a car with fewer extras than my current Tdi. Also the running costs look like they would really hurt.

Nice car but at the moment the best deals seem to be on the A5's. The new A5 seems to have Audi flooding the market with nearly new pre-registered current shape cars. There are two silver 3.0tdi's at Essex Audi. This one and This one.

The one I am currently closing in on though is a mid 2015 Sepang Blue with under 8K miles. We are currently discussing the value of my trade in. If they become a bit more flexible then it might be mine.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 04/08/2016 14:03

Im still in the camp of keep your A5.

Maybe get something more exotic on the side wink . Something older that will appreciate.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 04/08/2016 18:54

This one is a good spec and in that price ball park.

As for servicing, factor in 10ltrs of oil for the engine and then there's the 3 differentials and gearbox that need oil as the car ages. If the cars out of warranty then this can all be done much cheaper at a specialist.
The wave pattern front brakes can start to vibrate if you give them abuse but that's the only real gripe I've read on these cars and it only seems to be the US market that suffers, I've not read much on the UK forums.

Try and drive a car with the DRC suspension, it transforms the handling so there's no boy roll or pitching, an option worth looking out for. The link above has it. I'm not a fan of the silver window trim but if you feel the same, you can have a black vinyl wrap fitted for not a lot of money.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 05/08/2016 17:12

Audi have just provided a trade in value - OUCH!

I had clearly done some research on sales prices with the Parkers and Glass's and had a trade value in mind. I also got a "We buy any car" quote which was, as expected lower than trade in values.

Audi though were even lower than that though, £1500 lower grr

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 05/08/2016 20:13

Audi have just provided a trade in value - OUCH!

I had clearly done some research on sales prices with the Parkers and Glass's and had a trade value in mind. I also got a "We buy any car" quote which was, as expected lower than trade in values.

Audi though were even lower than that though, £1500 lower grr

Bloody hell! That's shameful.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 05/08/2016 22:13

A focus RS over 10 years will not depreciate, an RS audi will.

A Ford with an rs badge is the holy grail, look at any previous iterations. All drive brilliantly, have a cult following, easily tunable and loose no money if loved. RS500's are now fetching 75k. Speaks volumes.

I'd swap my jag for a cossie if it would accommodate the family, the coupe may well make way for a Ford RS badge.
Audi may feel nicer inside but the driving experience is shite, well documented and I picked the jag over an RS6 after driving both.

An Aston is another league, buy a V12 and you'll be on a winner!

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 06/08/2016 21:21

So the Audi is up for £26K, what else should I consider at that price? Preferably a 2 door Coupé but I could be swayed laugh

With that amount of cash burning in ones pocket a pininfarina badged Italian might be an option.
Have you considered a sexy Maserati Granturismo Bob?

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 07/08/2016 18:22

A Ford with an rs badge is the holy grail, look at any previous iterations. All drive brilliantly, have a cult following, easily tunable and loose no money if loved. RS500's are now fetching 75k. Speaks volumes.

The RS of old that we are all so fond of were limited run cars, the new Focus RS has no limit on numbers made so won't have the same appeal in years to come.

I'd have to disagree on the "well documented shite driving experience" i watched Chris Harris slate the RS5 and then rave about the RS4, it's exactly the same fricking car with a slightly different shape body, just shows the quality of some of these "well documented" reviews.
And what are you looking for, a race car or a car that's great to drive day to day yet have the potential to turn it up if you want to?
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 07/08/2016 19:42

Well said and il second the fact there isnt a limited number for the new RS plus it feels cheap inside like all fords do unlike the Audis. Chris Harris also said the RS3 didnt handle well compared to the A45 AMG and BMW 135M but on the road it is such a better car than the other 2.

The RS of old that we are all so fond of were limited run cars, the new Focus RS has no limit on numbers made so won't have the same appeal in years to come.

I'd have to disagree on the "well documented shite driving experience" i watched Chris Harris slate the RS5 and then rave about the RS4, it's exactly the same fricking car with a slightly different shape body, just shows the quality of some of these "well documented" reviews.
And what are you looking for, a race car or a car that's great to drive day to day yet have the potential to turn it up if you want to?

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 07/08/2016 20:37

I'm still casting about. I think I'm going to try the A45 again but I do think it's just too capable to be properly fun on the road. I've even thought about an SL350 - 14-plate is half the price of a new car. Been thinking about Porsches too: Cayman, Boxster and even Panamera.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 08/08/2016 12:18

Those A45's do look Interesting
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 08/08/2016 12:52

Alternative to the SL, a bit old school maybe, but an XK is a nice place to be, good to drive and fairly cheap to run.

To be really fun on public roads, one probably needs to stay smaller, lighter and go for less power. Anything really powerful is at illegal speeds before the load pedal has it the floor.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 08/08/2016 15:38

The new ones are living on old glory. They are holding money where other hot hatches are not as there is a real following.

I've no doubt car reviews are as much the mood of the reviewer, weather and what they were driving before.

The RS audis are renowned for their dullness. Im sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it is a fact.
Most of it is because the 4wd is too good and the steering feel is too vague.
day to day this probably has zero impact on your driving experience or enjoyment of the car. It's also personal choice and opinion, one man's grey is another's broom yellow!

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 08/08/2016 15:44

Originally Posted By: knight7660
Well said and il second the fact there isnt a limited number for the new RS plus it feels cheap inside like all fords do unlike the Audis. Chris Harris also said the RS3 didnt handle well compared to the A45 AMG and BMW 135M but on the road it is such a better car than the other 2.

The ford feels cheap from a more expensive marque like an audi does from a more expensive one. You're comparing a 50k+ car to a 30k one.

The XF felt much nicer in side that the RS6 I drove but then my 1989 XJS feels far nicer than both.

*my opinion only, the RS6 was still very solid and felt expensive, just wasn't for me.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 08/08/2016 19:10

Quote:

The RS audis are renowned for their dullness. Im sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it is a fact.

Oh I really couldn't care less so no need to apologise.

The M3 I'm guessing is renowned for its amazing performance, so I'll just leave This here as an example of real world driving, not just a car driven to the limits on a track that most reviewers seem to base their opinions on.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 09/08/2016 09:43

"All RS Audi's renowned for dullness" is surely not a comment that any motoring enthusiast could ever truly agree with crazy Such provocative comment is usually the preserve of fan boys.

I guess such "dull" comments come from journalists testing cars on circuits. But as we on the FCCUK know if you make a Coupé good for the track it becomes a bit of a pain to drive and live with on the road. My Coupé for example was brilliant around Spa and it looks good lowered. But it is now horrible on anything other than a billiard table smooth A road frown

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 09/08/2016 11:44

Lack of steering feel and nothing that's RWD are the main reasons I wouldn't ever consider Audi. Looks are a personal thing but Audi does nothing for me in that department either (mind you, none of the German usual suspects are great). Horror stories from family and close friends regarding repair costs on the quicker Audis (S8 and RS6) are pretty scary too though performance always comes at a cost.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 09/08/2016 13:00

RS Focus and I'll leave this as a case in point for low depreciation.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 09/08/2016 13:13

Quote:

Oh I really couldn't care less so no need to apologise.

The M3 I'm guessing is renowned for its amazing performance, so I'll just leave This here as an example of real world driving, not just a car driven to the limits on a track that most reviewers seem to base their opinions on.

Nice video, only 2 comments for me.

1) it's much harder to follow
2) the comment "this turns well for an audi"

Very impressive performance.

The gist from the review for me was "inspires confidence" which, i guess, is the "dull" view of other reviews. A very capable car will feel dull, especially one that has 4wd, to reviewers who are used to wild rwd supercars and tricked hot hatches.

I can see the advantage and disadvantage that this brings and shall try and refrain from calling the RS5 dull in future.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 03/09/2016 01:16

Deposit paid on my new A5 today.

It's another 3.0 tdi S-tronic. This time a Black Edition in Daytona Grey with quite a few options added. The main additions are active sports dampers, drive select and the rather expensive sports diff.

I've been stuck between keeping my current car, going for a newer (2015) lower specification demonstrator or this three year old loaded car.

As soon as I saw the car, which has just come off personal lease I wanted it. It might be the older car with more miles but it is immaculate and looks stunning.

So much for offsetting my mortgage against my savings last month! rolleyes

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 03/09/2016 01:21

When it came down to it the Focus just didn't do it for me frown I was really tempted to place an order and spent a good few hours pawing the brochure.

But the last ten months with my current A5 have spoilt me. On the test drive I just kept picking holes in the focus, poor quality plastics and sadly general overall quality of the car. Couldn't believe you still have to prop up the bonnet with a metal stick? crazy laugh

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 07/09/2016 14:10

Pictures Bob, pictures.

Oh and congratulations.

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 07/09/2016 14:45

Pictures Bob, pictures.

Oh and congratulations.

+1!
Posted By: mr_tickle

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 07/09/2016 15:14

Couldn't believe you still have to prop up the bonnet with a metal stick? crazy laugh

It's still better than the wooden ones on a coupe laugh

Re: Yes it's back - another what car thread - 08/09/2016 16:15

Pictures will come, it looks really good smile

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 08/09/2016 21:22

Just teasing us now Bob....

hehe

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 08/09/2016 22:57

As you know I've loved the driving experience of my black 3.0 A5 but I've really been blown away by the new car.

I collected the car yesterday and had it set in "comfort" mode for my run to work and when driving home this morning. When I got up I decided to explore the sports diff and active suspension a bit. With "Dynamic" mode selected the car is completely transformed shocked The sports diff could almost have you thinking it was a RWD car. The speed through, and out of corners is bordering on being a bit scary, but is a lot of fun. The suspension, especially on B roads is a bit too firm but I think with a bit of playing about in the settings I should be able to get a good balance.

This version of the car has similar torque and power to the last but the bands are much wider. Torque comes in earlier and stays for longer and it really shows. The dash from zero seems to be about the same as the old car, a fraction quicker according to the manual. But the top end is so different. The older car seemed to fall off a cliff at higher RPM, with the DSG snatching another gear to compensate. The new car is quite a bit more eager to rev and it's all a lot more urgent.

I knew I was buying a nicer car, it is like new inside, but I hadn't fully realized how the options fitted were going to make it so different / better.

Couple of shots at the dealer, I was inside trying to do the deal laugh

click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 09/09/2016 21:16

She's a beauty Bob, really like the Daytona and the face lift looks so much better.

Eibach make a Pro Spring kit which actually rides better than standard and makes Dynamic mode more acceptable. The slightly lower ride height also looks really good.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 10/09/2016 05:58

Mods...I've only just got it rolleyes but I'll keep it in mind laugh

I have already added "White Look" front fog lamps and upgraded ALL the interior and door lamps & LED's. I've also used my VCDS and edited the car a bit, turning on several functions and making adjustments.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 10/09/2016 16:50

I know, it took me a year for the modding bug to bite after I'd promised I wouldn't touch it. You'll be amazed how much of a difference a set of springs and 10mm spacers make to the look.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 09/01/2017 10:50

I've added some more mods shocked

Some "Genuine Audi" Aluminium pedals and a different number plate.

Really would like to get the car off these ugly winter wheels and back onto the summer "blades"

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 12/01/2017 12:09

Did you go for the square plate Bob or just a new replacement?

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 12/01/2017 16:02

A5s are a lot of fun, enjoy it Bob. Had my eyes opened to them when I landed an ABT-tuned one on a road test about seven years ago.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 14/01/2017 22:20

Did you go for the square plate Bob or just a new replacement?

Normal shape plate but with new letters / numbers and some Audi plate surrounds.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 17/01/2017 05:26

Get it over to AMG as they do great remaps for those, better fuel economy and a smoother/sportier drive laugh

Ive got official VAGCOM/VCDS if you need to change anything rolleyes

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 17/01/2017 20:51

There is no way I am getting the car re-mapped whilst it is under warranty. Audi have been fairly ruthless when they have encountered re-mapped cars during warranty claims. I understand that the Audi ECU's have a tamper flag, so even if you remove the work they are still able to tell you've been in there!

I currently have 9 months of warranty to run with an option on another year if I don't exceed a certain mileage.

I am however somewhat embarrassed to admit this but I am thinking of getting an "active" exhaust fitted shocked Yes I know, to some they are like fake boobs... Sadly the 3.0 Tdi is a bit lacking in the boobs department though, so fake is all that is really available laugh

Oh and thanks for the VCDS offer, most appreciated. I do though have a genuine Ross-Tech myself smile
Posted By: Lucifer

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 18/01/2017 10:45

I am however somewhat embarrassed to admit this but I am thinking of getting an "active" exhaust fitted shocked Yes I know, to some they are like fake boobs... Sadly the 3.0 Tdi is a bit lacking in the boobs department though, so fake is all that is really available laugh

Won't this also cause you problems with the warranty though? I have my M5 covered with a full BMW warranty, but when I looked into getting an upgraded exhaust system for it the consensus was this would invalidate the cover.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 19/01/2017 14:05

Originally Posted By: Lucifer
Won't this also cause you problems with the warranty though?

As it is an Audi option part it would not cause any problems with the warranty, they have confirmed this. It would actually be covered under warranty for two extra years.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 26/01/2017 10:51

I've ordered an Audi active exhaust which will be fitted next week.

I originally saw these up for close to £1000 but then one audi dealer listed on ebay at £850. I went into my local dealer who confirmed the £850 list price. I tried for a discount and they dropped to £760 I was ok with that so bought it. I also managed to get them to discount the fitting rate too. A Miltek system is close to a grand and would invalidate a lot of the warranty. So I was reasonably happy!

But then a chap I had been speaking to about this alerted me to an Audi dealer up North selling these of for £250 ovno on ebay shocked

I swiftly made an offer on one, which was accepted and called my local dealer to cancel my order. Thankfully Audi have a 14 day no quibble returns policy. They were happy to cancel my order but then suddenly offered to sell it back to me for my ebay offer price + the postage cost, so a few ££ short of £300. My phone call had just saved me over £470 shocked

Early next week my Tdi should sound a bit like this

Exhaust Video

THE KIT
click to enlarge

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 26/01/2017 14:15

The last one in the vid sounds like a Subaru Bob.

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 26/01/2017 16:46

Well it is 4wd biglaugh

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 26/01/2017 19:16

Er, Bob, doesn't that mean you now have *two* exhaust systems?

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 26/01/2017 21:29

Originally Posted By: barnacle
Er, Bob, doesn't that mean you now have *two* exhaust systems?

When my local Audi garage agreed to match I called the ebay seller, Another Audi dealership, and informed them I was withdrawing the offer they had accepted. They were fine about it and had soon sold both units.

I did for a moment consider buying it, there is still another dealer on ebay selling at £850 shocked

Re: What car? (And no it's not for Jim ) - 13/04/2017 19:40

Exhaust was fitted but the Audi dealer caused some damage to the interior of the car during fitting, as well as making a mess of the fitting grr

Fortunately they accepted liability and replaced the damaged bits of interior as well as re-fitting the exhaust, properly this time! During the work they kept the car for a week and gave us a brand new TT roadster to play with smile Whilst I expected Mrs BB to want to replace her car with a new shape TT, after living with one for the week she didn't want one. She has however chosen to replace her MK2 TT with one of the last Mk2's - A metallic white Amplified black edition. Seemed like a lot of money for the same car as far as I'm concerned crazy

As for the A5 exhaust - it sounded rather good but there was no off option. So I've now added a CETE module which allows much more control.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK