Fiat Coupe Club UK

Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - 05/08/2016 18:46

I think I'm all set for this race in a week or so's time. Another circuit that I've not done before so pretty excited by it.

I still need my replacement lights to turn up but I should get them on Monday or Tuesday.

It's another race where the two groups are mixed (Dave, what decides when this happens?) - based upon the list I can see, I have half a chance of a class win as none of the usual quick cars are listed. That said, there's some fast-looking cars in the other group 2 classes including a 6-litre Mustang (IIRC) and the very quick 4.7 litre Falcon. It must be terrifying to be in one of the slow cars - like cycling on a motorway - especially at Thruxton.

It's just close enough for me to do the race on the day - it's only an hour away. That said, scrutineering is very early (8.15) - I hope it's not another where I'm having to push the car around the paddock on my own - Silverstone was absurd - I was exhausted.

I will be great to see any of you lovely people there - Dave has offered to sort tickets.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - 05/08/2016 20:11

If we weren't going to be on a ferry to France, I'd definitely have come to this. Anyone who hasn't been to see this should go and give MRS a cheer - close racing and some nice machinery...
Hope you get a good finish with less bodywork redesigning, Rich!
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - 06/08/2016 10:59

Looks like quali at 10:20 and racing at 15:35, I might be able to make it along in the afternoon
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - 07/08/2016 08:48

Originally Posted By: DaveG
Looks like quali at 10:20 and racing at 15:35, I might be able to make it along in the afternoon

Hi Dave,

Let me know your address and I'll post you a couple of tickets. smile
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - 08/08/2016 13:45

Thanks Dave, YHPM

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - 13/08/2016 22:30

Great fun racing at Thruxton. Finished 2nd in class 3 tenths behind class winner. 1 tenth off class fastest lap.

Big smash stopped first part of the race but lovely race organisers (Fishy Dave et al) tacked the rest of the race on to the end of the day.

Started race 1 22nd and finished 18th which is where I started race 2, finishing 13th of 29 starters.

Average speed of 87mph - fast

Great to meet DaveG and son briefly.

Will aim to get first video up tomorrow - mix of Spridget, Falcon, BMW close racing. Great stuff

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 14/08/2016 19:05

Video here

https://youtu.be/nExbaBk3v4M

Exciting watch
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 14/08/2016 20:07

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
Video here

Exciting watch
Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
Video here

Exciting watch

Looked like fun - seemed like good driving conditions smile .

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 14/08/2016 20:24

Yes - it tried to rain earlier on but was fine

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/08/2016 14:39

Will look out for when you next race - I would like to come and watch as I really love to see 60 & 70's cars going for it!

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/08/2016 14:48

Donington first weekend in Sept then Cadwell two weeks later.

There's other races running 60's and 70's racers.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/08/2016 16:06

Excellent thanks - hopefully we can make it to one or the other, as they both look a good day out.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/08/2016 19:23

click to enlarge

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 16/08/2016 09:28

Well done Richard, can you send your video on to the TV company asap (instructions in Classic Lines)? The accident was very unfortunate, an MGs oil filter came loose, the resulting spinning Lotus Elan made a perfect ramp for the following MGC to launch and roll over.

Good to meet you DaveG, sorry it was rather brief though.

Cheers, Dave

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 16/08/2016 11:13

Dave - where do I find Classic Lines? On the website all I can see is June's version. I will probably struggle as I'm now in Singapore.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 16/08/2016 11:54

You should get it by email (sent 29th July), we don't put the current issue online as an incentive for people to join up. I will send you an email again in a moment. smile

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 16/08/2016 11:59

Nope - just checked - got the one that you just sent through though.

ETA - I've sent them the link to my YouTube video though.

I haven't uploaded footage from the first race - would CSCC prefer I didn't? Not sure about the crash stuff - especially if it's not clear as to the cause. From my point of view, my race was a lot less interesting.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 16/08/2016 12:33

Ah, pleased the email got through. Up to you with the video, maybe just a note to explain it was caused by an oil spill? smile

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 16/08/2016 12:39

OK - cool. I'll see when I get back. It takes about 5 hours to upload (killing my connection whilst it does) - maybe serve as a reminder to people to check everything is done up properly.

I certainly had a twitch as I went over the oil - there were cars off everywhere though.... And somehow the yellow Elan went off at Church too...

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 17/08/2016 15:21

Just had chance to watch the video, really interesting how the performances of the Mini, Frogeye, your Alfa, Cortina and Galaxie differ around the circuit. Well driven, held my breath a couple of times with the white BMW. laugh

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 17/08/2016 16:07

Yes - I found that interesting too. The Cortina was on historic tyres which added to the mix and the Mini, I'm guessing, runs 50-profile which all adds to the difference in performance. Richard Belcher mentioned how beautifully prepared that Cortina is (from someone whose car isn't too shabby himself). The Mini is the Swiftune machine. And the big old Ford (Falcon?) has such grunt. The Frogeye gave me a bit of an unkind squeeze on lap 2 (I guess he didn't realise I was still next to him and that he hadn't actually completed an overtake - fortunately I didn't need that indicator repeater). I was impressed by the BMW going around the outside at Church - I had be baulked so lost my momentum but it was an impressive move. I gave him racing room as it would have been easy (but unsporting in the circumstances) to drift wide myself but I was pretty impressed.

I could definitely go quicker next time but it's a fun circuit - fantastic that we had the opportunity to drive it - it took me back to TOCA 2 laugh
Thank you.

That Scimitar does have a bit of a habit of drifting around in the middle of the track - I'm never really sure what he's going to do.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 17/08/2016 17:43

The Cortina was built (and raced at the Revival) by Mike and Andrew Jordan, we had it on our Race Retro stand this year, it's perfect, in fact better than when it left the factory I suspect.
Tim Cairns drives the Frogeye and he wouldn't have intentionally traded paint, he is a nice guy. Noted about the GTE....

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 17/08/2016 19:52

Yes - Richard was lamenting how fast it is for a 1600 - I don't suppose (in the way of things in the U2TC-type racing) that it's a cheap motor in there either. And it's certainly driven with gusto with plenty of locked brakes. Great spectacle. Yes, I'm getting to know Tim and he's a quick and capable driver. I'm used to the fact that he likes a squeeze and that's all good.

I'm learning loads from this series so thanks for organising and, more importantly, encouraging me to join. I think (hope) it's making me a better driver and visiting the different circuits and racing against the different cars is certainly making me think much more than the endless races at Knockhill against the same cars. I'm building confidence in these tyres too - there's far more of a hop and a skip and a jump with them through fast corners and I think they're far more benign on the limit than the lower profile tyres. I'm learning to exploit that a bit.

It's also been interesting running up against the No Expense Spared Giulia with the £25k engine and the whole Alfaholics catalogue bolted on. It's a lesson in money alone not being able be to buy you a fast car. As shabby as it is (and I do plan to sort that this winter - albeit I doubt I'll ever run a concourse car: I don't believe in it), my Giulia has only really ever come across one other that can regularly match it for pace and that's Roz Shaw's stunning GTAm.

Still lots to learn - but then that's the fun of it.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 20/08/2016 10:56

Damn! That sounds amazing - will watch the vids when I have time. Just got back after a great week away, but would still have loved to see the Thruxton meet. Highly recommend it, Brilly!

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/09/2016 13:22

Did you see your car on TV last night Richard? Chances are it will be repeated, do a search on Motors TV for 'Classic Sports Car Club' it's programme 2 of 3, you get mentioned and they have used some of your onboard video too. cool

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/09/2016 14:11

I set it to record on my Sky box in Scotland, Dave, so I'll find out next week. My YouTube footage of that race has been very popular - partly, I guess, because there was quite a lot of racing going on. Every race in the SMRC was televised so I'm quite used to being on the telly. The highlight was having our race covered on the ITV BTCC coverage when we supported that series at Knockhill. Still, it'll be fun to see if only to find out what happened in other people's part of the race.

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/09/2016 15:30

Awesome! I'll look out for that. Is it available on demand?

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/09/2016 16:24

According to what I saw, it was programme 2 shown yesterday. I don't know that MotorsTV do on-demand (last I heard, they'd gone bust!) but they normally repeat stuff though I think you need some form of subscription TV to see it which I don't have down south

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 15/09/2016 17:27

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Awesome! I'll look out for that. Is it available on demand?

No, but it will be available to watch online after all three shows have aired, will report back when available.

I remember when you were on the BTCC show Richard smile

Re: Thruxton - CSCC Swinging 60s - Now With Video - 20/09/2016 15:39

I watched the coverage this morning. I got a few name checks and some of my on-board was used. Wow, that crash was quite impressive!!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK