Fiat Coupe Club UK

Have I mentioned that I hate VAG?

Posted By: barnacle

Have I mentioned that I hate VAG? - 08/04/2017 10:54

Bloody Seat failed an MOT at half past nine today. No rear fogs; fuse blowing as soon as they were switched.

Checked the bulbs, checked the wiring, checked the fuse box, checked the switch... and it turns out that it was the front fogs, through which the switch passes on its way to rear fogs, had a short to ground and was blowing the fuse before the rears ever got turned on.

Meh.

On a *sensible* car, the switch drives relays, and individual circuits have separate fuses, but VAG decided it would be a really good idea to have *all* the running, dips, mains, and fogs going through the same switch as live, full current circuits. Genius.

The fronts can wait; I just snipped the wire to them and the rears got better. Just got it mostly back together and back round to the MOT place before they closed at one... twenty minutes to spare. Now I just have to put it all back together properly...
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Have I mentioned that I hate VAG? - 08/04/2017 11:45

Even 70's Alfas aren't that bad

Re: Have I mentioned that I hate VAG? - 08/04/2017 15:41

Quality German Engineering[tm]
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Have I mentioned that I hate VAG? - 08/04/2017 23:02

Have you considered buying a VCDS (Vag-Com) little box of magic? We have a VW and an Audi in our family, the VCDS is a handy tool for looking inside the dark magic that is VAG can bus.
I usually check the cars over before a service so the dealer can't fob me off with their usual nonsense.

Re: Have I mentioned that I hate VAG? - 09/04/2017 12:59

The car is of a vintage that doesn't monitor such things; not a mention of it in the fault log.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK