Fiat Coupe Club UK

Motor insurance on a hack

Posted By: Trappy

Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 06:47

Now I'm finally getting closer to buying a car for commuting, I'm looking at insurance quotes. Now maybe I've been spoiled for a few years having the coop listed as a limited mileage classic through Glynwood, but I'm astounded at how much these quotes are for a 147 1.9 JTDm 16v.

10-15k miles a year and with mirror NCB is still working out at over a grand. I'm 36 for crying out load! I haven't paid that much since I was 24!!

I've tried Saabs with the same engine and the Aero 2.0T too and I get the same price. Cheapest I can find is just over £800. I was told that the price is related to the NCAP rating because of injury claims by passengers, which makes sense but the Saab too?!

Am I living in the past here? I thought these cars would be 300 quid! irked
Posted By: Serg1

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 07:05

Try Footman James.

Both my coupes are insured with them. Recently they quoted on my forthcoming purchase of a Barchetta, thought I had heard it wrong when they said £52.00 year.

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 07:24

Originally Posted By Serg1
Try Footman James.

Both my coupes are insured with them. Recently they quoted on my forthcoming purchase of a Barchetta, thought I had heard it wrong when they said £52.00 year.

According to their online system, they can't even offer me a quote... chinny
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 08:01

that's a lot - my Saab is £600 a year with 20,000 miles and business use, fully comp etc.but I do have 10 years + no claims. they are not expensive to insure for the bhp on the aero.

Can you ask for details of the NCAP rating stuff so that you can challenge it?
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 09:13

Crazy, my Merc A class diesel on 17,000 miles pa is £170 with full NCD and SP30 (General Accident) but many other close quotes via "Compare the Market"

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 09:14

That is fully comp renewed last week
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 10:44

I'm afraid insurance is a postcode lottery & age related. Just to give you for instance, I'm under £200 for my diesel hack (turbo) & just over £200 for the Coop. Looking around for cars in your criteria I would be under £300, in my neck of the woods, garaged that is... driving

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 11:26

Postcode did make difference to me having moved recently but I think I've just worked out the killer... I've been saying that I'm self employed. Having started my own Limited Company in Feb, I thought I was. I'm still working all this out having been employed as staff PAYE all my life - it's all a bit new.

Now having done some reading through forums and finding references to the gov site, it turns out that, as a director paid PAYE, I'm actually employed.

30% off straight away shocked
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 11:27

I'm paying around 300 for the Bravo with the same engine, Trappy - postcode Hemel and kept on the drive, usual social/domestic/pleasure use on 35k/year. LV.

Re: Motor insurance on a hack - 12/05/2017 11:52

Result, well done!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK