Fiat Coupe Club UK

Crash Helmet

Posted By: AnnieMac

Crash Helmet - 24/05/2017 16:18

Open face or full face crash helmet for a track day? (I'm going to buy one.)
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Crash Helmet - 24/05/2017 16:36

+1 for open with a Coupé.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Crash Helmet - 24/05/2017 16:52

+1 for open face in a coupe or any other car with a hard top
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Crash Helmet - 24/05/2017 18:08

Yep. I wore my full face motorbike lid, but took the visor off for less gubbins. So open face would be less intrusive.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Crash Helmet - 24/05/2017 18:24

Yup - open face. It makes doing up belts much easier too if you're using a harness
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Crash Helmet - 27/05/2017 14:02

Open face it is then. Cheers everyone.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Crash Helmet - 28/05/2017 08:45

Although, The plus side of full face is that you can pretend to be an F1 driver.....

Yeeeeeeeeooooowwwwwnnnnngggggggg!!!

laugh
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Crash Helmet - 28/05/2017 10:42

I'd rather have a full face for maximum protection. If you're going to wear one, might as well wear the best type there is smile
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Crash Helmet - 28/05/2017 10:48

Im an open face man i just prefer having the clearer vision, if i had a kit car then full face all the way
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: Crash Helmet - 01/06/2017 08:31

Originally Posted By DaveG
I'd rather have a full face for maximum protection. If you're going to wear one, might as well wear the best type there is smile

Yup, full face for me, but with a GT/rally peak.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Crash Helmet - 01/06/2017 08:38

Wasn't even sure what a GT/rally peak was...why do you like that Dave? Doesn't it restrict movement in the cabin?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Crash Helmet - 01/06/2017 09:35

I have both types. I tend to use open face for hill climb and full face for track days.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Crash Helmet - 01/06/2017 09:44

I have those peaks on my lids - ideal for when the sun is low. Only downside is that my Bell lid, at least, then didn't have the capability to fit a visor if you wanted to use it in an open car (or kart).

I'd still contend that open-face is far more convenient in a closed cockpit and, if you're needing that small extra bit of protection, you're probably in worse trouble than you realise. I'm also not sure how I'd manage in one of those crazy series where they make you jump out and back in again wink Seeing the harness buckle in a race seat (quite upright) in a full-face can be quite awkward. The cheek pieces on an open-face extend quite a way forward so offer much of the same oblique protection. As an addendum to this, a school friend crashed his moped into the back of a parked Land Rover. They reckon that having an open-faced helmet saved him from having his neck broken.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK