Fiat Coupe Club UK

Learner Car or First Car

Posted By: slime500

Learner Car or First Car - 22/08/2017 19:54

My 17 year old son will starting with his driving lessons soon. I have promised him my Coupe, but told him he will have to wrestle it out of my gnarly hands in about 35 years from now!

Meanwhile, he will need a car to practice in, that then becomes his first car.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a cheap and reliable car? Something along the lines of the Fiat Cinquecento from the Inbetweeners would work for me. Any recommendations would be helpful.

I dread to think how much the insurance will be!

Posted By: Boosted7

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 22/08/2017 20:09

Skoda Fabia? Mine has been very reliable (1.9tdi, 2001 Model) and is cheap as chips to run. I'd imagine insurance would be fairly cheap too.
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 22/08/2017 21:48

One of the apprentices at work has just passed their test. They ended up buying a Skoda Citigo because it was cheap to insure and reliable.

Seat Mii, VW up etc are all the same car but rebadged.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 23/08/2017 04:25

Punto Mk2 or mk2b

Cheap as chips to buy, easy to fix, parts readily available, cheap to insure (relative to some others), still pretty good looking in 3-door format and it's a Fiat, so he'd be "keeping it in the family"

Not that he'll want to mod it, but the 15" wheels from the Coupe will fit and seem to suit it well
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 23/08/2017 04:33

Panda. Dirt cheap and Good fun.
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 25/08/2017 08:42

I have sold a quite a few VW Fox's to first time drivers recently, probably because they are group one insurance (the 1.2's are anyway). They are very basic by modern standards - no electric windows or central locking, but that's what keeps the insurance so low I guess.
Panda's are a good shout, I think they are group 2/3. IMO they are an all round better car than the Fox, and 4 doors make them practical too.
All the above suggestions are good ones, although I think the Fabia with a 1.9 diesel might be a struggle to insure, so the 1.2 petrol would be the preferred route there?

No connection with the company at all, and I cant comment on the service in the event of a claim, but based on the feedback I get from customers, Diamond seem to be competitive on price for young drivers.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 26/08/2017 06:11

Stilo jtd 1.9 ..very lowinsurance group so worth a look
Also the 1.2 16v version is worth a look
Posted By: slime500

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 06/09/2017 19:05

All very good advice.

Thank you very much
Posted By: cjh

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 11/09/2017 18:18

I just bought my daughter a 1.2 2007 grande punto.
Got it for pennies and it's surprised me.

On the upside I now have a 2002 1.1 fiesta for sale with 11mo the MOt
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Learner Car or First Car - 22/09/2017 17:25

We bought our daughter an 06 plate Pug 107.

I have to say I'm mightily impressed with the little beasty. It's basic, no frills motoring but it drives really well, is £20 a year tax and does 50mpg no matter how you drive it.

For various reasons (read having the land rover written off in an NFA) I've had to drive it a bit more than I was intending.

I was expecting to hate it but I have to confess I'm quite fond of it.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK