Fiat Coupe Club UK

Interesting customer...

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Interesting customer... - 10/05/2018 18:37

I picked up a car from a customer this morning. It's a Golf GTi on an 07 plate. Nothing particularly special, although he had a few other cars in the garage, including a LaFerrari, a type 35 Bugatti,
a pink Austin A35 (looking rather sorry for itself) and about 30 other cars and bikes.

I kept my fingers in my ears while I was there, mind...
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: Interesting customer... - 10/05/2018 19:27

Nick Mason, perchance?

Provider of drums to the best band in the world??

Woweww

Re: Interesting customer... - 10/05/2018 20:45

Originally Posted By HiraethHuw

I thought that was Andy Hargreaves..?

Re: Interesting customer... - 10/05/2018 20:47

Had to Google him.
I'm a clot?
Nah...

Re: Interesting customer... - 11/05/2018 05:53

I woke up still excited about your experience!

Did you meet him? Dud you see his helicopter too?

I bet he'd like your Jag.

Re: Interesting customer... - 11/05/2018 11:15

Didn't meet him (or his chopper!), I'm not kidding myself about our importance! But the guys were real petrolheads, who love their job and realise what an amazing opportunity they have. We swapped stories of Harleys with flames (more on that soon...), but didn't mention the Jag. Next time!

Re: Interesting customer... - 11/05/2018 16:20

I've underestimated his wealth.
In my head I had a pic of him leaning on a gate outside of his farm house. Didn't think he'd have staff looking after his motor collection - what a job that would be.

He could be a regular customer of yours.
Maybe they're testing you our on the Golf before you get to work on some of the others.

Keep us posted please?
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Interesting customer... - 15/05/2018 12:42

Originally Posted By HiraethHuw

Woweww

But Keith Moon died years ago? :-)

MM
Posted By: X19_pilot

Re: Interesting customer... - 15/05/2018 14:50

There is a program on Sky Arts, called Brian Johnson meets... Episode 3 is Nick Mason and about half way through, they talk about his cars, resulting in a ride in the 250 GTO... Apparently that car was put down as collateral to under write a come back tour due to potential legal cases over use of the bands name after 2 members had left and could possibly restricted the use of the name.

Re: Interesting customer... - 16/05/2018 04:13

The GTO was there. Apparently, it raced in anger every year from 1962 until 2014.
Posted By: andyps

Re: Interesting customer... - 16/05/2018 08:11

I thought the 250GTO had been raced more recently than that at places like Goodwood. I met one of the guys who looks after the cars once, I'd asked him what he did for a living and he said he had the ultimate boys job. His own car was a scruffy old Fiat Uno, but he got to drive the ones he looked after occassionally so he was happy!
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Interesting customer... - 16/05/2018 19:27

I’ve had a couple of race driving coaching days with Mark Hales who has raced many of Nick Mason’s cars for him and I have their joint book “Into the Red” where each describes their view on each of the amazing cars.

Re: Interesting customer... - 19/05/2018 20:14

We were told that they decided to stop racing the GTO just because it had become an issue even transporting such a valuable item - never mind punting it round race tracks! It was a really great experience to see round such an amazing collection. Don't know if we'll get another chance to see it, but if not, I won't complain!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK