Fiat Coupe Club UK

Bravo 2008 climate control?

Posted By: barnacle

Bravo 2008 climate control? - 26/06/2018 16:18

Anyone had any experience with this? According to the aircon man, the issue is that the fan is intermittent, and if it chooses not to work at the time I ask for aircon, computer says no.

I'm guessing something in the way of a dodgy contact on the motor side... time to get onto eLearn, I guess.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 26/06/2018 20:32

On my boy’s Punto, the fan motor died as did the resistors (linked, possibly?). Replaced both.

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 27/06/2018 18:28

I think that's the place to start, but I'm not sure it *has* a resistor pack (ten step speed control suggests something a bit more sophisticated).

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 28/06/2018 06:05

Yup - the resistors I swapped because one or two of the speeds were missing. The intermittent fan was the fan itself.

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 29/06/2018 17:53

OK. Somewhere to start. Thanks!

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 05/07/2018 16:40

Conclusion is that the motor has an open circuit winding, so if it stops in the wrong place it won't start until it can move somehow.

The current approach to making the aircon work involves swearing when it doesn't start, winding all the windows down, driving very quickly until the airflow through the fan makes it start, then flicking the engine off and on again.

Today I spent two hours working out how to remove the trim and find the motor - slap against the bulkhead and accessible only from the pedal side, thank you - and another hour to remove a single mounting screw. Shame there is at least one more screw, almost completely impossible to access...

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 05/07/2018 19:01

Ooh - lovely - the version I had was very easy to do. I think the hardest thing was getting the (butchered) wiring connector off.

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 08/07/2018 16:44

By dislocating my shoulder and elbow, standing on my head in the footwell, and sacrificing a chicken, I managed to get the *four* impossible mounting screws out.

The motor and impeller then pull out of the housing, and wedges firmly in between the steering column and various stickyouty bits of the aircon system and bulkhead. Can't see any way to get the damn thing out, though, so it's gone back in (only lost one screw laugh ) while I have another think.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 09/07/2018 11:37

Is the top of the housing supposed to be released so that it can come out all in one Barnacle?

Ala' Peugeot and Renault designs?

Or remove any wiring from the bottom before you pull out the motor/impeller?

I think you have to just be bold in giving it a wiggle so it clears all the gubbins under there.

Regards

MM

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 09/07/2018 16:38

No, such a bold wiggle would break impeller blades off. And would still leave the problem of getting a spare in.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 10/07/2018 08:26

Not good Barnacle,

The owners forum describes removing blower:

"the blower motor is behind the glovebox. it is easily removed from the passenger side footwell"

Maybe their idea of easy is different then ours?

MM

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 10/07/2018 08:52

Many different combinations of heater/cooling/blower, I think. Eper had a couple of dozen different fans listed.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 10/07/2018 12:25

I might have a Bravo service manual stored on an old external drive somewhere, can have a look for it if you think it'll help?

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 10/07/2018 19:17

The blower on mine was in the passenger footwell and that was very easy. This one sounds like a different proposition

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 10/07/2018 19:36

Thanks Graham, I have the Bravo elearn manual. It says the whole thing comes out as a lump...

It's possible but by no means guaranteed that removing the steering shaft might clear it, but it's a lot of work and since swearing at it over the weekend it's started every time the engine's started. rolleyes

For the last Bravo I spoke to Fiat about investigating a diverter servo fault (on the side of the unit, moves the air up/down/middle) - they said twelve hours work to get to it; and having got there, that part wasn't available as a spare...

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 11/07/2018 09:40

I found the manual, it's more like the coupe version (3 PDF files) so may be different to what you have.

Download here:

https://ufile.io/ld6xg

Volume 2 seems to cover the electrical stuff.

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 11/07/2018 09:45

Actually, ignore that... it's for the original 1995-2001 Bravo, I didn't even know there was a newer version from 2007. smile

Re: Bravo 2008 climate control? - 11/07/2018 16:18

Thanks anyway, Graham smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK