Fiat Coupe Club UK

My new toy

Posted By: Nigel

My new toy - 29/06/2018 19:50

This is the reason my Coupe is up for sale

I realised that a large part of the fun I've had with the Coupe was the constant evolution of performance modifications, chassis tweaking and just general messing about. Other than the slightly shabby front-end paintwork, the Coupe is now "finished" - there are no other performance mods I want.

So - I wanted something that:-

1) I could tinker with
2) Put my own mark on
3) enjoy driving

The bonus is that I can get a lot of kicks without doing speeds that would see a custodial sentence - the Coupe can give the same kicks, but the speeds are vastly higher

Just over 170bhp and around 500kg - fairly nippy..

click to enlarge click to enlarge

I can see it getting driven even less than my Coupe, as I'm not sure I fancy driving it at all during winter (no screen, no wet weather gear, no heater)

A track day beckons....
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: My new toy - 29/06/2018 20:48

Looks like fun.

Slippery diff? My bro’s Caterham 1700 Supersport didn’t and it was a minor flaw. And, because it had the aero of a corner shop, it could never go silly fast - but accelerated incredibly well. Driving it in the wet, which I did once, was a riot of oversteer and understeer in equal measure.

No screen is rather “brave” on the road.

Have fun!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: My new toy - 30/06/2018 04:54

Lovely! Hope it's as fun as it looks. With no screen, I presume you'll be wearing a lid?
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: My new toy - 01/07/2018 18:49

Looks like fun, which manufacturer is it and which engine?
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: My new toy - 01/07/2018 19:51

Westfield at a guess from the badge.

Re: My new toy - 02/07/2018 04:28

Yes, a Westfield with a 2-litre Zetec. Very noisy, very windy, not particularly comfortable, but huge fun on the right road.

I wear a helmet if I’m out for any length of time, but otherwise, a hat, safety specs and earplugs are enough

@ MRS - yes, it has a slippy diff - great for a couple of tail-out moments in the Peak District yesterday....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My new toy - 02/07/2018 08:32

Nice Nigel.

definitely recommend a full face helmet with no windshield - I've been out in the MK and been hit in the head by a stone from the car infront with a lid on.... was quite a thump. crazy

Re: My new toy - 04/07/2018 06:16

Nigel look up formula G on youtube. We need some more entrants in the U1 category and you car will be perfect, sadly better than mine, but perfect.

Simon you should also come along.

We even have our own TV show:

Formula G

Re: My new toy - 04/07/2018 06:32

Originally Posted By elder81
Nigel look up formula G on youtube. We need some more entrants in the U1 category and you car will be perfect

Thanks, but definitely, no thanks - I am ridiculously competitive and entering something like that would result in me spending fortunes on the car to make it capable of a win (or breaking it in the process).

With my working hours, I just don't have the time to fettle the car myself, so everything would have to be paid-for.

I've been on the very slippery slope of performance modding with the Coupe and I'm working hard not to go down the same route with the Westie

Re: My new toy - 04/07/2018 06:57

Wimp lol Although I know what you mean. I am underpowered by around 100hp to my mine rivals. They run a 2.0 Zetec with a supercharger at around 260hp and I run a 2.0 Zetec on 40's at around 160 bhp, but I am still competitive.

Re: My new toy - 11/07/2018 20:46

might have to come along to that for a giggle - drop me some details Mark. :-)

Re: My new toy - 13/07/2018 11:56

Hey Suba,

Sent you a PM, sorry only jsut seen your message.
Posted By: paul

Re: My new toy - 31/07/2018 19:13

Enjoy Nigel ,
I had a westfield 7 about thirty shocked years
ago great great fun ...still miss it ,you will
have a hoot love

Re: My new toy - 31/07/2018 19:39

Already up to about 1,000 miles since April - already spending money that it didn't need....

However, I'm NOT going on a power hunt with this toy - its all about acceleration and cornering - I'd like to get it as light as possible

Re: My new toy - 01/08/2018 04:29

Originally Posted By Nigel

However, I'm NOT going on a power hunt with this toy - its all about acceleration and cornering - I'd like to get it as light as possible

Absolutely right. You can afford to put some soft, grippy, rubber on it too as they simply don’t wear their tyres.

Re: My new toy - 01/08/2018 09:58

Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider
You can afford to put some soft, grippy, rubber on it too as they simply don’t wear their tyres.

This was one of the first mods - lose the nine(!) year old Toyo T1-R and replace them with Toyo R1-R - I'm really struggling to get them to break traction without being silly

It'll be quite different in the wet though.....

Re: My new toy - 01/08/2018 16:00

That’s just the thing - you’ll throw the tyres away for age long before you need to for wear.
Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Re: My new toy - 13/08/2018 14:22

Did driving my Caterham at Curborough have any influence? Let us know when/where you might book a trackday. smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK