Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rally Cross Conversion

Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Rally Cross Conversion - 07/10/2018 01:20

A few years ago I had a few goes with Rally Cross on 3 surfaces and enjoyed it.

Recently have again attended some events. Though fairly easy to enter etc, though being a beginner do not know the rules with the vehicle. I have been offered a 1996 Alfa 155 2.0 Litre Twinnie that some one wants to offload from his driveway. Its Runs, last Mot'd in 2017.

Does anybody know what you must comply with entering a car into a amateur rally cross series and / or safety installations for off road rally car?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Rally Cross Conversion - 07/10/2018 06:26

You need to read the MSA blue book - from memory, this has all the regs for each of the motorsport disciplines
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: Rally Cross Conversion - 08/10/2018 03:30

Thanks Nigel. Will look it up.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Rally Cross Conversion - 19/10/2018 22:48

Lots of info on the BTRDA website.

The Alfa should be able to make the "Production" class without too much work / expense. The car would need Safety elements such as:

A roll cage,
Perspex windows,
A dated race seat & harness,
Plumbed in extinguisher system,

I think you also have to remove A/C systems and maybe even ABS, not too sure any more.

You would need to keep in mind that it is possible to pick up "Ready To Race" production rallycross cars from as little as £3k so don't get carried away prepping a car that you could quickly tire of if it's not competitive. Most cars in the production 2000 class are small hatchbacks and Alfa might be a bit too heavy up against them.

Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Rally Cross Conversion - 19/10/2018 23:44

For Example... A 2.0 Clio 182 built to compete in the 2000cc Production class

"Technical spec ( built to MSA Blue book and BTRDA technical regulations):

Sassa 6 point FIA/MSA spec rollcage
OMP flat bottom steering wheel (Detachable)
Micro RS seat
TRS 6 point Harness
New dephaser pulley, cam belt and water pump fitted.
New engine mount
Front strut brace
Rear strut brace
LED Brake and Rain Lights
Team Dynamic Jet Wheels, powder coated matt black
4 Indy tarmac rally tires ( road legal )
Scorpion full decat exhaust system
Performance air intake system
Fire extinguisher
Sump Guard
polycarbonate side windows
window slider kit

This car was bought standard and over the past year we have been building it to race next year so the car is race ready. we have documentation for the cage and for the car. the harness and seat are new, expiry on the harness and seat is 2022. the cage was bought new and was installed in the summer of 2017.

We have removed the Air-con and ABS system as per regulations. we have fitted a brake bias valve on the inside of the car.

The car is an 05 clio 182 with 137 456 miles on the clock. We have had the car painted but there are a few marks from when we bought the car on the black paintwork.

I do have this for sale on gumtree but I feel like it might find a more suitable home in the BTRDA!

I have this car advertised for £4750 but that is negotiable"
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Rally Cross Conversion - 09/11/2018 10:06

I would imagine a Clio 182 will destroy an Alfa 155 Twinnie on a track

25-30bhp more powerful and at least a couple of hundred kilos lighter

no-brainer
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK