Originally Posted By Mark_S
I used to have a 20VT and GTV Cup, alas no more frown

Love those wheels on the Spider, very smart Mark love
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 18:10

I wouldn't love cleaning them though rolleyes
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 19:14

At one point we had a Giulietta 2.0 Veloce in the family and despite owing for 4 year this is the only photo I have of it with my old Coupe!

click to enlarge

They are such good looking cars!

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Sadly it was rather unreliable with rear demister, rear wiper going bonkers due to snapped wires between boot and chassis, requiring a new gearbox, suspension the list goes on.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 20:23

click to enlarge

Very old picture. I had 3 Alfas at the time: that’s my GTJ before I started restoring it and I had 2 105 series Spiders. And my 20VT.
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 21:42

Originally Posted By Gunzi
At one point we had a Giulietta 2.0 Veloce in the family and despite owing for 4 year this is the only photo I have of it with my old Coupe!

click to enlarge

They are such good looking cars!

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Sadly it was rather unreliable with rear demister, rear wiper going bonkers due to snapped wires between boot and chassis, requiring a new gearbox, suspension the list goes on.

I hired a Guiletta on holiday a couple of years ago as have always liked the look of them. However having one for the week, actually put me off owning one? They still look good though and are at tempting prices!

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 21:48

Didn't spot the coupe in the background straightaway MRS!
Nice one. cool
Do you still have it and if so, with your classic racing background have you kept it standard? driving

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 21:49

Its a labour of love!

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 08/02/2019 22:05

Originally Posted By DaveG
I wouldn't love cleaning them though rolleyes

It's a labour of love Dave - I have had them refurbed after that pic. tongue

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 09/02/2019 06:57

Originally Posted By Brilly1uk
Didn't spot the coupe in the background straightaway MRS!
Nice one. cool
Do you still have it and if so, with your classic racing background have you kept it standard? driving

I no longer have it though my kids describe it as their favourite car that I’ve owned. I fell out of love with it, rather, when it melted a piston. Fortunately, I had an aftermarket warranty to pay for the £3500 crate engine replacement by Jamie Porter.

I was doing the commute between Cambridge and Colchester, often cross-country, at the time and the Coupe wasn’t enjoying it. I did enjoy the car, though. Only mod was the strut brace.

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 09/02/2019 07:07

Every time I think about going back to a modern Alfa, I think about my miserable MiTo that was basically a piece of rubbish - up to and including the high-level brake light lens falling out (somewhere) and the passenger-side seat adjustment lever falling off and also disappearing. You can forgive an Alfa a lot (I’ve given a lot of forgiveness to a lot of Alfas) if it’s great to drive, but the MiTo was my most disappointing Alfa in that respect. Add that to the truly terrible dealers (Chris Variava were awful) and I’d really struggle to buy a 4C (which doesn’t drive particularly well) or modern Giulia (which is far less good-looking than it deserves to be).

Merc dealers are pretty poor but the modern cars have been almost entirely faultless.

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 09/02/2019 15:53

Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider

Every time I think about going back to a modern Alfa, I think about my miserable MiTo that was basically a piece of rubbish - up to and including the high-level brake light lens falling out (somewhere) and the passenger-side seat adjustment lever falling off and also disappearing. You can forgive an Alfa a lot (I’ve given a lot of forgiveness to a lot of Alfas) if it’s great to drive, but the MiTo was my most disappointing Alfa in that respect. Add that to the truly terrible dealers (Chris Variava were awful) and I’d really struggle to buy a 4C (which doesn’t drive particularly well) or modern Giulia (which is far less good-looking than it deserves to be).

Merc dealers are pretty poor but the modern cars have been almost entirely faultless.

Yes, I know what you are saying.
My "work" cars tend to be German for reliability and build quality. The Italian cars still connect more emotionally, but if they are poor (a la Mito) you cannot forgive them.
I would love to have a Ghibi as my work car, but see mixed reports?
The Guila seems just a bit "fat" around the rear three quarters, but appeals in that it is "different"?
Chances are I will stick to Audi/BMW...
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 09/02/2019 16:06

...rear wiper going bonkers due to snapped wires between boot and chassis, requiring a new gearbox...

If snapped wires between the boot and chassis requires a new gearbox, I'd have to agree that that's not great reliability!
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 10/02/2019 15:52

Originally Posted By barnacle
...rear wiper going bonkers due to snapped wires between boot and chassis, requiring a new gearbox...

If snapped wires between the boot and chassis requires a new gearbox, I'd have to agree that that's not great reliability!

Given our ups and downs, it may have well have done!
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 11/02/2019 12:59

click to enlarge

Bad one of my 20vt and GTV V6. Got some better ones on their own but not together.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 11/02/2019 15:43

Nice one! thumb
The Vauxhall VX in the garage is not a bad addition to the stable!
I should imagine it is a great drivers car? driving

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 11/02/2019 18:19

Cheers. You're right the VX is bloody good fun, but for me only in the Summer, had her nearly 15 years now never tracked her mind, good car for a Vauxhall laugh I like Marmite cars!

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 11/02/2019 19:35

Its funny, as I spend time thinking about cars which are off the typical radar and represent lots of fun for your buck - and the VX popped in my head a few weeks ago as one to look out for!
I have never been a Vauxhall fan, but the VX could definitely tempt me and I think they have aged very well?
Must be nice to have a car although years and therefore be confident about its welfare.
Enjoy the warmer days hopefully ahead!

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 11/02/2019 21:47

Yes it is a tad leftfield, there are those that like them and obviously those that don't. Huge bang for your buck and now an appreciating modern classic, mine has done under 30K, never left out and dry use only. As you say a real bare bones drivers car, you can literally feel every ripple or stone in the road, the feedback and road holding is sensational. There are those that will always favour the Lotus (and why not) but the VX (built in Hethel alongside the Elise) easily holds it's own especially with a few proven mods. I agree the shape has aged extremely well.

The 20vt was in 2004 akin to the same formula you give, what atypical car can I buy that is not very common, provides something different styling wise and performance to match. I would be bereft if I ever gave up the Coupe, such a fantastic car.

BTW I am liking your Spider great wheels and a smashing colour.
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 12/02/2019 00:19

Went through a couple of them.

Used to drive a 147 Ti 1.9 JTDm type 175 (after the Sprinty Coupe and a Punto HGT)
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Then the missus bought herself a Brera Ti 1750 TBi type 235
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Switched to a 159 SW Ti 1.9 JTDm type 175 when the kids started coming
click to enlarge

2 weeks ago we took delivery of a Giulia 2.0 TB Q2 type 320
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 12/02/2019 15:46

I have a very leggy Alfa GT that I bought in 2013 in order to spare my Coupe from 100 miles a day commuting in all weathers.

Nearly six years later, the Alfa has over 250,000 miles and simply refuses to break down. Only one call to Green Flag - fractured battery earth cable wouldn't let it start.

Just like the Coupe, its a slightly left-field choice, but it is WAY more practical (I've had a washing machine in the back with the rear seats down...)

No piccies of the Coupe and GT together, so just a gratuitous photo of the GT after a great drive through last winter's snow (its on winter tyres, which are unbelievably good)

Alfa in the snow
Posted By: DavidRobot

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 12/02/2019 22:44

That’s lovely! I miss my blackline.

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 13/02/2019 12:11

Yes great shot...

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 13/02/2019 12:13

Originally Posted by Kayjey
Went through a couple of them.

Used to drive a 147 Ti 1.9 JTDm type 175 (after the Sprinty Coupe and a Punto HGT)
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Then the missus bought herself a Brera Ti 1750 TBi type 235
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Switched to a 159 SW Ti 1.9 JTDm type 175 when the kids started coming
click to enlarge

2 weeks ago we took delivery of a Giulia 2.0 TB Q2 type 320
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Hope you are enjoying the Giulia!
I take it red is your favorite colour? laugh
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 13/02/2019 14:40

Alfa should be red. Both alfa red and competition red are permitted. Or if it's a classic then white or light blue metallic. Some exceptions are zoe yellow for the gtv.

Getting used to the Giulia with paddle 8 speed. It's also the missus daily driver. Mine is a Ford Ranger now, although it's been in with electronic gremlins since 14 weeks now.

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 13/02/2019 15:17

Trouble with red on older cars (as per the Coupe) it can go pink

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 13/02/2019 16:25

Same for other makes too - our lads 2009 VW Polo is fading too pink on the boot! tongue

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 13/02/2019 16:29

Originally Posted by Mark_S
I used to have a 20VT and GTV Cup, alas no more frown

Hi Mark
Hope you really enjoyed them when you had them both?
I certainly would have. cool
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 14/02/2019 12:51

Ohh, I'll have to get some atmospheric pics of out Giulietta and the Coupe together. Also an excuse for a wash and polish.

laugh

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 14/02/2019 13:05

Originally Posted by Gripped
Ohh, I'll have to get some atmospheric pics of out Giulietta and the Coupe together. Also an excuse for a wash and polish.

laugh

All done by hand no doubt Toby! laugh
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 20/02/2019 14:40

I had a 147 GTA after my coupe. Parted ways with that about 18 months ago after 7 years.
Posted By: wink

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 20/02/2019 18:17

I have a Giulietta 1750 TB (240bhp), which replaced a Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir (170bhp). Before that a Mito 1.4 MultiAir (135bhp). So 9 consecutive years of Alfas, and all three cars have been fine - the sole problem has been with the current one, which developed a water leak that needed a replacement rad under warranty. Actually the best engine of all was the 170bhp, which made for a really nicely balanced car. The 240bhp motor has too much power for the chassis & torque steers, plus the auto box (no longer a manual option) is a bit tiresome.

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 20/02/2019 21:20

Good to hear a positive report on the Giulietta and interesting to read what you say on the 170bhp version v the 240bhp. smile
Any pics with the coupe?
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 21/02/2019 13:13

Since 1995 have had a 164 2.0 TS Super, 155 2.0 TS, 156 1.8 TS & 2.4 Mjet, 147 1.9 Mjet, 166 2.0 TS & 159 2.2JTS. Not had an Alfa since the 159 as the 159 was a disappointment compared to the 156 overall. Found the petrol Twinnie's more fun compared to the JTS petrols. Drove a Giulietta last year ( MultiAir ), did not like it and no foot rest next to clutch pedal.

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 22/02/2019 09:40

That's quite a collection AlfaScouser! laugh
Posted By: respace

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 22/02/2019 20:14

I went from 16vt to GTV V6, reliability wasn't a problem on the Alfa but it was the only car that made the coop look practical! It could take passengers, had a usable boot and did more than 16 to a gallon, that said the V6 motor was fantastic, such torque who needs a gearbox!
Posted By: DavidRobot

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 23/02/2019 09:57

I had a GT coupe, replaced by a 159 2.4 TI sw which only stayed with me for 6 weeks, 2 of which were in the dealer. It needed a head off decoke which they were not prepared to pay for so gave me my money back. I then ran a Renault Laguna for 3 years before replacing it with a 159 sw Lusso 1750 tbi.

I replaced the 159 back in July with a new Golf R estate, currently away for bodywork repairs after I reversed into a metal bar °(p
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 23/02/2019 14:09

I have a phase 2 spider that is currently in storage as it is a 50th Birthday present for my wife - Jan 2020. It’s a surprise based on listening to which cars she liked when we visited classic shows. However she is currently Luke warm about it. I suppose if she doesn’t want it I could always keep it myself...

Re: Any other coupe & Alfa owners? - 23/02/2019 17:08

Nice one - hopefully welcome on a sunny day!
I put my 939 roof down after washing everything today to check all was well. cool
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK