Fiat Coupe Club UK

Which EV? eGolf or rivals?

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 02/03/2019 16:36

My Dad bought an eUP! about 4 years ago. After a few teething issues (turns out it's pretty tough for a one-eyed octogenarian to get insured on a vehicle with a massive, potentially-exposive battery...), he and my Mum have really loved owning it. It suits them perfectly for scooting around Sheffield, which gets the best from the torque, being so hilly. However, range anxiety proved a problem, so (in true my-dad "logic"), he got a petrol Skoda Citigo on a 36-month lease, just for longer journeys.
Now, the VAG dealer that got him the Citigo has sent him a letter saying "Time to start thinking about changing your car". I suspect that there must be a healthy market for low mileage Citigo's and the dealership are seeing if they can get him to chop it in early, in which case, it may prove a successful strategy.
Dad is now thinking of trading in both the Citgo and the UP! (I'm adding the exclamation mark in the interests of accuracy, but through gritted teeth) and getting a new e-Golf, which he thinks he can get a pretty good deal on.
He really loves both the idea and practice of owning and driving an EV. The new e-Golf ticks a lot of boxes for him (he's been an unwavering VAG man, since he first bought a VW 411 Variant in 1970), the main one being that it offers a range of almost twice that of the e-UP!
But, I've read up on it a little and frankly, the e-Golf seems to be a bit behind the curve in terms of range, innovation and price.
Has anyone got recent EV experience to help make a judgement?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 03/03/2019 17:05

When does VW bring out the ID? I’ve not heard good things about the eGolf either.

I was in Shanghai last week and the Chinese have some pretty credible (German designed) EVs on the way - Byton for instance... Not a real option for Pa Clennell though.

Personally, I’d be in the market for the i3 - just because it’s totally EV designed from the start - like the VW ID will be.
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 10/03/2019 15:01

Nissan Leaf or the renault zoe are the obvious choices. Haven't heard anything amazing about the E-Golf.

The GTE looks interesting if you want a medium size hatch and it can be run for about 20 miles on EV only. Plus it can still be used in Petrol mode for longer trips.

the issue with the e-golf is that it is very expensive and the range isn't great, but it is a VW Golf and that is often enough for some people.

Have a look here, they have reviews of electric and hybrids https://www.nextgreencar.com/review/8024/vw-egolf-2017-first-drive/
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 10/03/2019 17:15

I wondered about Fiat electric vehicles and realised I hadn't come across any... bit of research led me to this proposal: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/f...city-car-with-new-centoventi-ev-concept/ which appears interesting apart from the idiocy of using a mobile phone as a dashboard... also here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/1...-concept-modular-geneva-motor-show-2019/

I see they do an electric 500 but not for another year; I'd like an electric Panda (current version) but I fear not.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 11/03/2019 12:48

There's a Zoe on our estate, and it sounds like something from Star Trek as is passes. Now, I'm not a fan of French cars, but they are quite cute. A leaf would be my first choice though I think. Of course, Nissan and Renault are working jointly these days anyway.

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 12/03/2019 08:02

Well, it seems as though the 2 important factors in my Dad's choice of the e-Golf are: 1) familiarity; both he and my mum are well into their eighties and don't want to have to get to know another manufacturer's style after 45 years with VW (or VAG at least). 2) the deal; VW have offered him the e-Golf for just under 19 grand, which seems a pretty good deal. Although I can't imagine anyone paying the £33k list price.
So, looks as though he'll be getting the e-Golf before the end of the month.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 14/03/2019 08:57

Damn, just a the time I'm about to get rid of my father's fifteen year old golf, and your father goes and buys a new one! tongue

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 14/03/2019 21:31

Dads, huh?!
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 14/03/2019 23:09

I have an e-Up in addition to the Coupé, and for my use it really is a great car. And <£50/month to run, at least here in Norway. I think they'll be very happy with the eGolf.
I'm sure there are more up to date options as you say, but him being a VAG man and perhaps more importantly the familiarity in controls etc. Muscle memory, age and so on.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Which EV? eGolf or rivals? - 15/03/2019 08:02

Well hooray for Golfs! We all love a bit of VAG don’t we! laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK