Fiat Coupe Club UK

Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf

Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 02/04/2019 12:04

My better half is trying to convince me into a Giulietta Cloverleaf after her Abarth 500 recent purchase.

Is the manual versions better than the TCT auto versions ? Or does the 1.4 Multi-Air ( 170 bhp ) deliver the power better than the 235 bhp Cloverleaf model?
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 03/04/2019 20:55

We have the diesel Giulietta, with the QV spec suspension/brakes/wheels etc, so happy to answer any general questions. The Brembo brakes are awesome and the handling and steering is precise and entertaining. But afraid I don't know about the petrols. Personally, the 235bhp would tempt me, as the chassis is very stiff and feels like it could handle the power. The 1.4 might be a better all rounder perhaps, but it's a heavy car for a small engine, even with a turbo.

Good excuse to do some test drives ?
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 04/04/2019 19:37

I believe Harry Metcalfe had some thoughts on the different petrol models in his review of the Veloce.

https://youtu.be/jFSf5YhYQbw?t=250
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 06/04/2019 06:03

Can’t comment on the petrol engine models but we had a 2011 diesel 140 bhp Veloce which was a great looking motor but it was fraught with problems. If you go down this road of getting an earlier one check the following work as they all failed on our car:

Goes into 1st gear
USB socket
No knocks going over bumps
Brakes don’t squeal
Rear wiper starts and returns to stop position
Rear fog light
Reversing light

The bottom three were caused by the wiring loom between chassis and boot snapping.

Despite its flaws my wife loved it.

Attached picture 3F66596E-4E86-419E-9452-FE25DD9509B7.jpeg
Attached picture D60D0926-2EDE-41C2-90FF-2567BA3E0E48.jpeg
Posted By: wink

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 17/04/2019 20:53

The 170bhp MultiAir is the one to have. I've had both this model and currently the 240bhp Veloce. The MultiAir engine and manual box was a lovely combination, really nicely balanced car. The TCT box (in the Veloce) is only usable in Dynamic mode - in Normal it changes into 6th all the time. In Dynamic it's ok, but it makes the steering too heavy. And it torque steers - the power is really too much for the chassis. But the 170bhp manual just feels fine in Normal mode, best Alfa I've had over a lifetime of them, I'd have one again.
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 27/04/2019 19:36

Originally Posted by wink
The 170bhp MultiAir is the one to have. I've had both this model and currently the 240bhp Veloce. The MultiAir engine and manual box was a lovely combination, really nicely balanced car. The TCT box (in the Veloce) is only usable in Dynamic mode - in Normal it changes into 6th all the time. In Dynamic it's ok, but it makes the steering too heavy. And it torque steers - the power is really too much for the chassis. But the 170bhp manual just feels fine in Normal mode, best Alfa I've had over a lifetime of them, I'd have one again.

Thanks Wink.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 27/04/2019 23:07

Originally Posted by ScouseCoupe
Originally Posted by wink

Thanks Wink.

I think the motoring press said something similar, though I must admit it surprises me that the 1.7 turbo is too much for the chassis. It's a heavy car (like most these days) so I'm intrigued that the 1.4 is the choice motor. The 150bhp diesel we have, has more torque than the 240 QV, and it seems to handle it well (apart from a slipping clutch in dynamic mode).

But this could just be a case of less is more. driving
Posted By: wink

Re: Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf - 28/04/2019 14:21

It's not that the 240bhp Giulietta is a bad car - it's probably slightly quicker than the Coupe in fact and the ride/handling is surprisingly good. But IMO the 170bhp version is a better overall package. Just really well-balanced all round, with enough power, better economy and the MultiAir motor has a wider rev band.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK