Fiat Coupe Club UK

TTRS - The final Chapter

Posted By: Barmybob

TTRS - The final Chapter - 23/05/2019 20:20

A good many of you know that for some time I have been looking to get back into a 5 cylinder Audi with a TTRS.

I almost ordered a new Coupé back in 2017 but despite a great price didn't place the order. I then went off looking for a roadster version. My wife bought a TT roadster and it really grew on me. Fast forward two years and still no TTRS so I decided the Coupé in the garage was holding me back so it had to go. I sold the Coupé, after 15+ years together frown and the RS search was on.

I've road tested so many used TTRS's but could never really find one that ticked all the boxes, I even thought about buying new again and a few weeks ago seriously explored that option shocked I was a bit miffed at how prices have now shot up! My spec was coming in at over £66K, a mere £62 if I really held back on the spec shocked I then discovered that the new TTRS has been civilised. The new exhaust emission rules have tamed the car down. I was also not a fan of the new look either, fake rear bumper vents indeed! So there was no way that NEW was going to happen!

So it had to be second hand car and I also started to drift back towards the Coupé too. This week I saw a Daytona Grey in Aylesbury but the car was so unloved. It was a 2017 with 15K miles but I just couldn't even begin to like it. I was so angry that the sales girl had said it was immaculate, someone's pride and joy - my arse laugh On the way home I said to Trish that I was getting fed up and might just give up and look again at the end of the year.

Then late yesterday another popped up. It was a Coupé in the really special Crystal Panther Black (From some angles it looks purple in the sun) and it was stacked with options (LED Matrix front and rear lamps, dynamic suspension, Carbon Inlays and much more. It was a July 2018 car with just 3200 miles but priced at £2k more than the car I saw yesterday. When I arrived at the car I discovered more options fitted than had been listed in the sale - BONUS laugh

The car was absolutely stunning, needs some slight swirl correction, but still stunning. The road test around Essex was epic and I really fell for the car, and bought it shocked

Posted By: clanger

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 24/05/2019 07:34

Congrats Bob, good to hear you have found what you were looking for. Pleased for you.
Posted By: Rob40

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 24/05/2019 08:16

Well done Bob, you got there in the end.

Trip to the lakes soon? You can park it on the front on your pit stop wink laugh

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 24/05/2019 09:19

Originally Posted by clanger
Congrats Bob, good to hear you have found what you were looking for. Pleased for you.

Thank you, most appreciated smile

Originally Posted by Rob40
Trip to the lakes soon? You can park it on the front on your pit stop wink laugh

Trip to the lakes soon is a yes, a visit to see you definitely, park it outside though? Last time I was there one of your customers got a parking ticket shocked laugh

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 24/05/2019 09:25

I would like to bring the car along to a Coupé meet or two, if you'd have me there with an Audi shocked

I'll wear a Coupé club cap & Polo Shirt if that helps laugh
Posted By: Gripped

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 24/05/2019 14:03

Well done Bob. I like it when things like that happen; it's like it was "meant to be."

When are you posting some pics?

smile

As a 5 cylinder, I'm sure you can bring it along. Cover the Audi badge with a Fiat sticker = job done.

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 25/05/2019 15:34

A couple I took at the dealership, collecting the car this week.

click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 25/05/2019 15:42

Anyone know anyone who wants a stunning A5 3.0Tdi Quattro.

Car is loaded with some very desirable options and also has the RS5 torque vectoring electronic diff and adaptive suspension. It's a stunning car fully detailed and ceramic coated with Gyeon duraflex. I've been offered a reasonable PX deal on the car, nicely above trade, but I would hate for it to go into a dealership and be thumped out at £17K.

Bob
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 25/05/2019 18:29

Very nice Bob. Time to spank that lil b*tch and be it’s daddy!

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 03/06/2019 21:20

So I've now had a few days with the car.

Having undertaken so many test drives I was somewhat aware of how quick this car is. That said getting in the car alone and driving on familiar roads really allows you to explore and, I'll be honest, the RS is scaring me a bit! The Fiat coupé is not a slow car, neither is my A5, but the RS takes things to a whole new level.

The grip level is also phenomenal and you can get on the power, out of a bend really early too. Everyone goes on about Audi's having understeer but I am yet to find it in the RS and that is the bit that's getting scary. The car is really neutral and if anything, in dynamic with ESC off, the car has a slight rear end push. My A5 also has a bit of this with the torque vectoring trick diff but it is a heavy beast and does still revert to understeer. The RS is not in BMW oversteer / drift territory but it's also totally un Audi like!

On a flat smooth A or B road the car rides beautifully. The adaptive suspension offers a firm or very firm settings, the better the road the better the harder setting. The only problem is the less good B roads, of which there are quite a few around home. Even with the softer suspension setting everything is just too firm and it has the car getting a bit unsettled and harsh, probably not helped by the skinny tyres on 20 inch rims! I can only imagine how bad the car would be on a Belgian motorway shocked laugh

The RS interior is stunning with the seats being some of the best I've ever had. In car tech is fabulous too but the best thing about the car just has to be the engine. It sounds great at low revs, growls through the midrange and absolutely howls at 7000rpm, it's totally addictive.

click to enlarge

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 04/06/2019 06:11

It sounds amazing! Both in the description and when standing next to it. (Not your one, BB, but others I've seen!)
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 04/06/2019 13:45

BEAST.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 10/06/2019 20:22

Congrats Bob, saw the photos on FB, enjoy your new motor!

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 17/06/2019 21:56

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Today whilst taking an enthusiastic drive in the RS I blurted this out... "I hate to say this Trish but this car is better than the Coupé in almost every way"

Initially this statement seems really harsh, kind of like taking a pee on all my happy Coupé memories. But it really isn't that simple. I absolutely loved my Coupé and I am sure for the rest of my days the Coupé will stand as the best bang for buck car of my life. When I bought my Coupé it was a modern stylish 2+2 Coupé and was almost as good as the best car I had ever owned at that point - the Audi Quattro. I didn't have the Quattro long. It was hideously expensive to buy, run and almost impossible, for a young fellow, to insure so it had to go, replaced by a watered down Coupé Quattro. The little Fiat Coupé gave me almost everything the old Quattro had but brought stunning Italian (American) design flair to the party.

I kept the Fiat far longer than I initially expected and often said I would keep it forever. Sadly as we both aged I realised I didn't really want a classic and with Audi sticking a Turbo charged 5 cylinder back in the mix it was kind of written that I would make an Audi return.

So back to my statement. "Better... ...in almost every way" Let's not forget I'm comparing a car with probably one of the best engines of recent years, up to the minute tech, an amazing chassis and a hideous price point, to a 20 year old Fiat Coupé. My old Quattro was fabulous but surprisingly a little Fiat was, for me, better in many ways. It has then taken a car as epic as the TTRS to better the Fiat. Sadly I don't ever see Fiat doing anything like the Coupé again. I seriously doubt that in 15 - 20 years time some chap is going to be buying a fast Fiat that is offering a fabulous soundtrack wrapped up in a stunning and unusual Coupé body frown
Posted By: Trappy

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 18/06/2019 11:05

Originally Posted by Barmybob

Today whilst taking an enthusiastic drive in the RS I blurted this out... "I hate to say this Trish but this car is better than the Coupé in almost every way"

I've never driven an Audi TTRS. I have driven over 13,000 miles in a Golf R however and although the TT is undoubtedly a far more aggressive machine that absolutely addresses the woeful engine note of the Golf, all I will say is this. Give it a year and see if you still feel the same. I am utterly bored stiff of the Golf now. That sure-footedness that feels so incredible at first soon sours and makes any fun at sensible speeds impossible. It always feels like it will finally be fun at juuust a few more mph... and it never is. The DSG makes me feel completely detached from the engine no matter what I do with those silly flappy paddles and the AWD Haldex seems to just dial out the adjustability that a front or rear driven car has.

If I was spending that sort of money, I'd go for the R8 V10 with a manual gearbox. As it is, I cannot wait to get the Coupé back on the road with all those older car analogue flaws! :-D
Posted By: Submariner

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 18/06/2019 14:01

Indeed my experience of most modern performance cars is the lack of actual pleasure of driving, it appears to be about huge sized cars, performance figures, electronic gizmos and 'toys' (coupled with the eco and safety directives)', I love the old school rawness and connection with a car, doesn't even need to have big bhp to be or have 'fun'.

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 21/06/2019 23:14

Seems that you are both suggesting I should seek out my first car, a Mini laugh

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 22/06/2019 00:15

No disrespect to your Golf R but personally I prefer the GTI. I really enjoyed spending a few days with a GTI so did look at them as a Coupé replacement. The GTi is not as quick as the R but the R didn't really feel that much quicker! There was less wheelspin out of corners but I was really disappointed with the R, to me it just didn't feel special. I also really hated the fake engine noises with the speaker mounted on the firewall. As sporty hot hatches go I much preferred to Focus RS and if I had wanted a hatch that would have been the one I bought.

I did realise that my budget had me in the V10 MK1 R8 territory, just. The trouble is an R8 would be unsuitable in almost every way for me. First off my garage is too small to fit one. It would have to have been an early higher mileage example. The insurance is hideous (Over £700) as is car Tax (£570) then there is servicing and running costs. Parking one in a parking space is a nightmare too but for me the worst bit is that the MK1 R8's borrow too much on the inside from the MK2 TT, that horrible RNSE unit frown

If you like Coupés and have not driven the MK3 TTRS I urge you to take one out. The car attacks your senses in a similar way the Fiat Coupé. It is blisteringly quick, not too far off the R8 V10, even beating it in some areas. It also sounds epic, again not too far off a V10 shocked I don't for one minute regret my choice.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 27/06/2019 07:07

About bloody time! tongue
Posted By: Trappy

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 27/06/2019 12:08

No disrespect to your Golf R but personally I prefer the GTI. I really enjoyed spending a few days with a GTI so did look at them as a Coupé replacement. The GTi is not as quick as the R but the R didn't really feel that much quicker! There was less wheelspin out of corners but I was really disappointed with the R, to me it just didn't feel special. I also really hated the fake engine noises with the speaker mounted on the firewall. As sporty hot hatches go I much preferred to Focus RS and if I had wanted a hatch that would have been the one I bought.

I've never driven a Golf GTi or a Focus RS but I'm sure I too would find them far more thrilling and special. The Golf was leased as a car to get me to work in comfort while still having some poke. It was either get something silly cheap and keep the Coupé on the road or take the Coupé off the road and get something that does it all. And it was a very good deal. It's an estate version anyway - to be honest I wouldn't even call it a hot hatch. It sits in VW's range as a kind of premium Golf with lots of toys as standard. The extreme GTi cars are more rivals to the likes of the Focus RS and CTR in my eyes.

In the last few months, I've had it in Eco mode and it's now returning and average of 34mpg. Oddly it's the refinement and civilised side of the car that I like the most. In fact I'm now considering a Volvo S90 to replace it with so I can waft to work and get the Coupé out at the weekends. Daytime traffic in my area makes any spirited driving impossible.

I did realise that my budget had me in the V10 MK1 R8 territory, just. The trouble is an R8 would be unsuitable in almost every way for me. First off my garage is too small to fit one. It would have to have been an early higher mileage example. The insurance is hideous (Over £700) as is car Tax (£570) then there is servicing and running costs. Parking one in a parking space is a nightmare too but for me the worst bit is that the MK1 R8's borrow too much on the inside from the MK2 TT, that horrible RNSE unit frown

Haha, I pay that insurance on three cars . For a car like that, it can't be more than rivals?! I wouldn't park it either - it'd just be a toy. I must confess I had to look up this RNSE thing - again, I've been looking to buy one for the Coupé. They're cheap in the scheme of things and easily changed I would have thought. The garage thing is clearly a problem, but I'm sure you could move? laugh

If you like Coupés and have not driven the MK3 TTRS I urge you to take one out. The car attacks your senses in a similar way the Fiat Coupé. It is blisteringly quick, not too far off the R8 V10, even beating it in some areas. It also sounds epic, again not too far off a V10 shocked I don't for one minute regret my choice.

Given the opportunity, I'd jump at the chance to try one out. I'd just made an assumption that it was the same as an RS3 that always come out of reviews with the Golf as being less involving to drive. Perhaps more capable, but less feel. There's no disputing the pace of the TTRS either but again, I'd want a gear lever I can use to control the engine myself. Not being out to give it a blip at traffic lights, or drop to a chosen cog while planting the throttle and sidestepping the clutch really annoys me.

I'm assuming now that you drove an R8 5.2. What was it like?

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 29/06/2019 00:15

I did indeed take out an R8 but didn't get to drive it without the attentions of a very attentive salesman so all a bit limited. Maybe one day I'll rent one for the weekend. It is a cool car to drive and sounds epic but it also feels really big, reminded me of being in a mates old 360 a few years back. The 911's I took out felt like they would be much easier to live with.

I have to confess that the TTRS would not be something I could live with day to day and so I'm currently looking at keeping my A5 3.0TDi as my daily driver, I really do like that car for wafting duties. Only real downside to the A5 coupé is that it's a bit small inside for such a big car. Big enough for us two though.

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 21/09/2019 07:14

Currently enjoying my second road trip with the RS and have added a few thousand miles to the car this last few months! Despite getting used to the car it is still massively quick, not feeling the need to go chasing the stage 1 and close to 480hp just yet.

There have though been a few glitches in our almost perfect relationship. First one is the fuel use, no matter how carefully I drive it I struggle to get and decent mileage out of a tank of fuel. My current trip is currently at nearly 2000 miles and is showing an average of just 24 MPG! This is compounded by the fact that running 95 really takes the edge off the throttle response so I’ve ran it almost exclusively on the more expensive 98.

Second issues are around the quality. Car has already been back for a squeaking dashboard, they discovered the mounting bolts had come loose. The rear lamps have just been replaced due to them breaking up inside, the exhaust tips are beginning to chip / flake (waiting for Audi to sort them) and now, on this trip, there is a squeaking seat issue, not a big problem but a bit frustrating to find on a premium brand.
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 21/09/2019 12:47

If you can hear that many squeaks the engine isn't loud enough wink

Re: TTRS - The final Chapter - 22/09/2019 08:01

Judging by the amount of attention the car attracts it’s often too noisy shocked biglaugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK