Fiat Coupe Club UK

mini 1.4 v Mito 1.4 v 500 1.2 / 1.4

Posted By: G_Man

mini 1.4 v Mito 1.4 v 500 1.2 / 1.4 - 16/06/2019 11:03

Peeps,

Not talking big performance here but a neat wee runaround for my youngest who's about to start learning to drive and don't want to be going over £2.25k. Petrol and manual. Just been looking at reviews and as usual press and owners are out of step. The Mito appears to get slammed but owners fairly positive. Actually quite surprised that pre 2013 minis seem to have a list of problems and parts expensive. Any views, personal experience welcome smile
Posted By: DaveG

Re: mini 1.4 v Mito 1.4 v 500 1.2 / 1.4 - 16/06/2019 18:05

My oldest son has a 61 plate Punto Evo 1.2 "My Life" rolleyes with start/stop, his first car which he still has after 3 years, his choice may have been influenced from years of exposure by me to Fiats old and new, it's been good so far, but with a black box fitted, and low amnual mileage, it leads a fairly gentle life. He didn't want a Corsa and Fiestas were more expensive to insure, he wasn't keen on 500s either. I'm not sure how new a car you can get for £2.25k? Check how much insurance will be before and especially after passing the test, easy enough to do via the comparison sites.
Posted By: wink

Re: mini 1.4 v Mito 1.4 v 500 1.2 / 1.4 - 17/06/2019 08:57

Have had a couple of Mitos and liked them. Only problem was the heater fan variable speed resistor failed on the first one after 3 years - not a big deal. Otherwise both totally reliable. Currently have a 1.4 95bhp Mito in the family - it would be a fine first car, plenty quick enough and very nice inside.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: mini 1.4 v Mito 1.4 v 500 1.2 / 1.4 - 18/06/2019 09:30

I had a MiTo 1.4TB and hated it. As did Mrs M and Eve. Looked great but horrible to drive and badly-built.

Personally I love the 500 1.2 - a hoot to drive: light and nicely balanced - I throw the two we have into roundabouts and then collect it up.

Watch out is that the suspension is made of cheese (nothing, I’m sure, to do with the way I drive them) Parts from non-franchise suppliers are reasonably priced.

We had the MiTo and the first of the 500s at the same time and, despite the MiTo having twice the power of the Fiat, I’d take the 500 in preference.

Older MINIs do seem prone to big problems but I’ve no first hand experience.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK