Fiat Coupe Club UK

Clio 197 Renaultsport

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Clio 197 Renaultsport - 22/08/2020 11:22

As MrsC contemplates a new job, with a 40 minute motorway commute, we are looking at a Clio 197 as a possible replacement for the much-loved but unsuitable Panda 4x4.

In true Clennell style, we will be looking at the absolute cheapest, pitfall-ridden examples. (£4k max)

So, apart from dodgy synchro, steering and electrics (it's a Renault, so I'm assuming this one), what will trip us up in our quest?

Also, as we move back to employment from self-employment, I need to find a friendly insurer for this, the absurd 545i (that I love deeply) and our Transit day van conversion project. Any ideas?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Clio 197 Renaultsport - 22/08/2020 11:45

We have to Renaultsport 200 rs Jim. Fuel consumption will be between 32 to 35 miles a gallon driving extremely steady says Madam Magoo. But in town or ragging it then expect a lot less.

It's a quite a hard ride. Many examples in the cheap range will be problematic after having been hard driven.

If you want a nice rhd 200 on French plates then you will only need another £1250 on top of your budget and it's yours.

What's happened with chips away mate?

Re: Clio 197 Renaultsport - 22/08/2020 12:13

Thanks for the info, Joe. We're going to test drive one this afternoon. I'd love to buy yours, but we're already being a bit naughty at our meagre budget, so I'll have to decline and risk buying a shed!

With regard to economy - the alternative is the Beemer, so anything will look pretty frugal!

We've decided to call time on ChipsAway; we're booked solid and are turning work away, but we believe the mid-to-long term future is bleak for our industry and we've both found jobs in other (hopefully more secure!) sectors. More news to follow, possibly...! Also, the usual worries about "what if..." have been put into focus with Covid. No regrets though, it's been an amazing ride and we've learned so much.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Clio 197 Renaultsport - 22/08/2020 15:14

(at the risk of breaking the rules, Jim, I've got a 2003 Leon Cupra going on the bay tomorrow evening - I'm hoping for fifteen hundred but starting a lot lower!)

Re: Clio 197 Renaultsport - 22/08/2020 20:47

We tested the Clio in conditions that really didn't suit it - but were probably a good representation of what it would face on a daily basis. And it wasn't really MrsC's cup of tea. Basically, as Joe mentioned, the ride was quite hard, but this example was also very juddery and hard to drive smoothly. But it was a very worthwhile exercise.

I think the search has now shifted to a well-specced Mini in Cooper S flavour.

Thanks, Neil, but I think the Cupra was rejected on styling grounds. I like them, mind...

Re: Clio 197 Renaultsport - 24/08/2020 21:04

Well, the Clio dream was short-lived indeed.
Today, I braved the train to Plymouth and picked up a 2008 Mini Clubman Cooper S in cream/black, with immaculate black leather/cream piping interior. 90k miles, essential cam chain replacement just 3k miles ago and full service history. Looks like a new car, which may give unrealistic expectations!
120-mile return drive was fine, except for occasional (but quite significant) steering shake/judder when slowing from 70 to 50 or less. Only happened a couple of times, but was quite pronounced and hard to get rid of. Investigation to follow...
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK