Fiat Coupe Club UK

Car for my mum

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Car for my mum - 06/03/2021 19:23

My mum is 83 and still pretty fit. My dad is 85 and unfortunately isn’t doing very well as his prostate cancer has spread a year or so ago and it’s just a matter of time.

They have two cars: an old Saab convertible and a C-Class Estate - the Merc has been scraped against their awkward gate post so many times.

My mum is looking for a reliable and ideally small car but they have a cocker spaniel which travels in a “crate”. So the car needs to have a reasonable sized “boot” whilst being small. Probably better if it’s auto - power source is probably not important and I guess she’d consider electric (are there still “scrappage” schemes?) as it will be a car for trips to the supermarket or gym/pool.

Any ideas? Thank you folks.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Car for my mum - 06/03/2021 19:56

Sorry to hear about your Dad's condition, MRS. Hope he is comfortable, at least.
For your Mum's car, are you looking at buying new, second hand or leasing? Or any option?
If the gatepost is a consideration, I would perhaps steer clear of leasing.
My Mum and Dad (similar vintage) have had an EV for the last 5 years or so and love it. Latest one is the E-Golf.
For a more traditional solution, we found our Skoda Roomster an extremely flexible, practical and economical car. Might be worth a look? If not, perhaps a Yeti?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Car for my mum - 07/03/2021 07:55

Thanks, Jim - I think he’s very “lucky” in that he’s largely pain free. He was, unfortunately, a victim of COVID in that he got “forgotten” by the “system” until he ended up in hospital with his blood counts in a mess. He’s now getting excellent care.

All options of finance are open but, yes, I agree about leasing - we had exactly this discussion yesterday. That said, I don’t think the cost of doing “proper” repairs would be an issue.

Yes - I’m quite pro EV as servicing is not going to be much of a concern and that’s one of the things my dad dealt with. Range is also not a concern. We talked (in my family) about the Golf though not the E-Golf. I’ll take a look.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK