Fiat Coupe Club UK

thermometer prone to exaggeration

Posted By: respace

thermometer prone to exaggeration - 19/01/2023 16:35

Any idea why my Brera's thermometer has to be hotter than everyone else or colder depending on the weather? It seems to be 'reliably' 6-8 degrees out in any direction, which at least shows it's still working. No such problem with the coop you either wind the window down and stick your hand out.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 21/01/2023 16:53

Is it an old enough model you might be able to get a 2nd-hand gauge through your club, even at a scrappie?

It's not impossibly difficult to exchange these on a coupé, but I've no idea of the challenge on a Brera...

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 23/01/2023 14:13

Thanks Simon, that's an idea, not clear that there's much wrong with it as mentioned it gets colder when it's colder and hotter when hotter maybe it's just predicting climate change a few years early!
Never knew the coupe had one, learn something new every day.

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 23/01/2023 14:44

Originally Posted by respace

Never knew the coupe had one, learn something new every day.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that coupés had that type of temperature gauge, just the business of swapping them over in general smile
Posted By: Alansclark

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 23/01/2023 22:28

Maybe it is the sensor, they are usually mounted near the door mirrors on most cars not sure on your Alfa though
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 24/01/2023 09:19

Strange one, my Brera is solid at 90 degrees at all times so I'd swap out the sensor for a new one.

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 24/01/2023 14:37

I think I've managed to confuse everyone, I'm talking about the in car thermometer. Though curiously I'm getting an odd smell and slight loss of coolant from the expansion tank area so won't be long before the car thermometer goes pear shaped too.

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 24/01/2023 15:12

Originally Posted by respace
I think I've managed to confuse everyone, I'm talking about the in car thermometer. Though curiously I'm getting an odd smell and slight loss of coolant from the expansion tank area so won't be long before the car thermometer goes pear shaped too.

So this is the device that displays the outside temperature?

If so, as said, there will be a sensor which you might want to try replacing.

Re: thermometer prone to exaggeration - 24/01/2023 17:33

Yes that's the one, confidentally recording 30 odd degrees a few months ago and now minus 10, come to think of it maybe it's not so far out!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK