Fiat Coupe Club UK

Punto Evo CV joint replacement

Posted By: DaveG

Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 09/03/2024 18:06

My son's 2011 Punto Evo needs a new CV joint, but the aftermarket replacement I bought has a simple round clip (to hold the CV joint on the axle shaft) compared to the more conventional circlip shown in the attached parts diagram (although pictures on t'internet show it without the small holes to put the ends of circlip pliers in to).

Is this just a simple case of the aftermarket parts being a simpler/cheaper design, but still to achieve the same result, and perhaps also the reason why many guides on t'internet say to just knock the CV joint off which will only work with the aftermarket (circular section) "clip" design and not the OE "circlip" (square section) design?

Pics below show ePer diagram (circlip = leftmost part in box labelled "B"), rear of joint showing clip in the centre (courtesy of Fiat Forum) and typical aftermarket clip (but not a circlip)

Attached picture Screenshot_20240309-174637_Samsung Internet.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20240309-180147_Samsung Internet.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20240309-180246.jpg
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 10/03/2024 08:32

Dave your understanding is correct, as long as the clip or circlip can locate into its locked position it doesn’t matter.

The ball joints etc keep the driveshaft and cv joint at the correct space when driving

Equally if you ever were need to change it, the way to remove them is with a good old whack with a hammer

Cheers Jamie

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 10/03/2024 09:40

Thanks Jamie, but my question was more aimed at confirming that a good old whack with a hammer won't work on the OE CV joint with a circlip?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 10/03/2024 11:49

The outer c/v retaining clip needs to be prised open with a pair of circlip plyers before you give it a tap with a hammer to slide it off the splines.

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 11/03/2024 23:34

Thanks Joe, I'll post up here if we ever get that far...

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 12/03/2024 07:34

They normally fight so you'll need a middle size hammer for tapping.

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 12/03/2024 09:46

Honestly Joe, I just whack them with the biggest hammer and they come off, I've only had 1 where the cage broke, but the joint was knackered anyway.

The point to take care with, is to make sure you don't pop the driveshaft and subsequent gearbox oil leak that ensues(obviously I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs, as you've probably done a 100 times more than me wink ).

Cheers Jamie

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 12/03/2024 13:57

Originally Posted by Jamiepm
Honestly Joe, I just whack them with the biggest hammer and they come off, I've only had 1 where the cage broke, but the joint was knackered anyway.

The point to take care with, is to make sure you don't pop the driveshaft and subsequent gearbox oil leak that ensues(obviously I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs, as you've probably done a 100 times more than me wink ).

Cheers Jamie

Drain the oil first wink

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 12/03/2024 16:57

thumb
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Punto Evo CV joint replacement - 13/03/2024 05:36

There you go, applying logic! laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK