Fiat Coupe Club UK

A big thank you.

Posted By: bockers

A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:24

2011 has not been the best of years frown

On 27th October, following a marathon of tests and scans, my 16yr old daughter was diagnosed with Cancer. Specifically it is Hogkins Disease and in its early stages (Stage 2a for those in the know). As it turns out we have caught it very early and it is very treatable so there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. But until mid January when we shall have the results of the scans post the treatment I shall not be able to relax, at the moment life exists a day at a time. We started Chemotherapy on 21st November and that was 5 days of treatment at the Royal Marsden Sutton. We are now nearly half way through. Currently she needs two 4 week cycles and then we have a load of scans to await the results off, which will be nerve racking.

I decided to write this post for two reasons:-
Firstly to say thank you to a load of folks here that have made the last 6 months bearable. Specifically Begbie for helping me sort my coupe, Meanredspider and Stan for their advice and wisdom, PeteP for lending me tools and even offering me his coupe to borrow! And to a host of others who have offered me their support and time.
Secondly, to the rest of you on this forum. It has been invaluable in maintaing a sense of normality amogst a sea of angst, as well as something to read during sleepless nights! (and AndrewRs posts nearly got me to sleep wink )

This has been a life changing situation for all the Family and I am very proud of the way Evie has coped with it. She has just lost her hair which is traumatic for anyone but as a 16yr old girl with a new boyfriend you can imagine the trauma. Although life has become a day at a time process, but it has not been miserable! There have of course been some lows and the steroids Evie is on can really make her down. But in general we have made the best of the situation. Hospital visits are actually quite fun. We have a good laugh playing games and chatting and it feels comforting when things are happening. As anyone who has been through similar can attest, it is the waiting that is distressing. When things are happening it is bearable.

I cannot describe the weeks leading up to diagnosis, despair, and absolute grief. I would have done anything to swap places with her. However we remained positive and hopeful too and once we are out the other side of this I intend to do some serious fund raising so watch this space.
Anyway that is way too far in the future to think about, geez, Christmas is barely on our radar yet.

So if anyone encounters this same situation please use the people here for advice and help. It has helped me through and reinstalled my faith in humankind.

Thank you all and the best of health to you and yours for 2012.

John
Posted By: samsite999

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:31

I wasn't aware of the situation John but I wish Evie a speedy recovery and as a family please accept my best wishes.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:32

Heart-touching John - and all the best wishes to you all from my heart.

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:51

John,
all the very best to ALL concerned thumb .

Although I am not a religious guy I will offer a few prayers and all the very best to all of you,

Tim
Posted By: Brewster

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:52

Gobsmacked. Really very sorry to hear this John. I hope you and Sam are OK. It seems you're taking it as well as you can. Thoughts are with you all and here's to a speedy recovery for Evie.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:54

I would imagine having a 16 year old daughter is stressful enough on its own, without the added worry of cancer as well.

Hopefully, her boyfriend will also be there for her - it's obvious that you will be there, but there will be times when she needs a different shoulder to cry on. He's a brave lad though - many young boys would run a mile - he obviously thinks a lot of her.

Charlie's story brought this horrible illness a little closer to home and Evie's suffering is making me realise just how fortunate I am.

I think it's about time the Coupe community rallied around the healthcare professionals that make this disease survivable, by a combination of early detection and appropriate treatment - there MUST be something we can do to show our gratitude...

However, fundraising can wait for a while - you need to put all your efforts into helping Evie.

If there's anything I can do, let me know - happy to help if I can.

As MRS did with Charlie, please keep us informed when you are able
Posted By: magooagain

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 17:57

I can only imagine what you all must be going through John.Best wishes from Gill and i mate. We will be thinking of you all at this tough time in you're lives.
Posted By: Darlo_Nick

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 18:29

Best wishes to you and your family John.

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 18:37

Fingers crossed for you and your family John. Charlie's story, friends with cancer (relatively young at 34) and now this that HAVE changed how I feel about everyday life. Most things people moan about really are trivial and as you say, every day is precious.

I'm sure you'll find strength here.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 18:39

All the best John, I wish Evie a speedy recovery thumb
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 19:03

Good to see you post here John. There's always silence before the storm, so I'm sure you've already come a long way. We've seen quite a few similar stories on here, unfortunately. All the best to you, Evie especially and the entire family. Tough times, but we're all here to make it bearable.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 19:04

All the very best John. Wishing Evie a speedy and full recovery.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 19:23

What John modestly ommitted to say was that 3 years ago, when I was recovering from cancer surgery and undergoing chemotherapy, he was right in there keeping my spirits up.

Thoroughly good bloke and I know how positive he is about fighting the shit that life throws at you.

With a dad like him Evie can't go wrong.

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 19:28

best wishes to you and your family John .

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 19:42

Good luck to you, Evie and the family John. You will all come through this eventually and this will be a nasty stain looking back. Be strong big fella we're all thinking of her and it will turn out ok
Posted By: Taffy20vt

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 19:46

Best wishes to you and your family John.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 20:04

Best of wishes to you and your family John and the very best of luck, wishes and hugs for Evie smile

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 20:07

John, ANY thing thing I can possibly do to help??

I will pm you my number just incase there's any thing possible you need!!

I wish your daughter a speedy recovery!!!

All the best mate!!!
Posted By: Roadking

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 20:42

Sorry to hear this. Once again life reminds us that some problems are minor inconveniences, this is one of those, especially at this time of year.

All the best to all of you, but particularly Evie.

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 20:47

John,

Thanks for your unsettling and informative post...so sorry Evie and your family have been affected in this way...

There is so much in each forum member's lives that we neglect to share with each other.... but with sharing comes understanding and a sense of familiarity and family... even with the odd ball guy from across the pond in Canada.

I pray for a better 2012 for Evie and your family John...keep your chin up....and try and keep a smile on your face.

Paul the Coupe 20vT newbie in Canada
Posted By: JimO

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 22:05

Damn John, I am sorry to read this, and I truly hope for you and your family that everything turns round in 2012.

You have my number, if you want a chat, meet, beer, drive, anything - don't hestitate to call.

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 22:10

Best wishes to you and your family John. And again if there is anything I can do you only need too ask.

I have discussed this already with a few people, I will be organising a coupe gumball rally sort of thing, Lands End to John O Groates for charity and I've been considering which charity would be best and now I think I know. Possible prizes to those that raise the most money and them that actually make it there laugh

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 22:46

John, all the very best to you and Sam and wishing Evie the speediest recovery smile

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 23:20

All the best to you and your family john, hope your daughter makes a fast recovery smile

And great charity choice paul for the gumball run next year, am sure everyone on here will agree and join in driving
Posted By: came2dance

Re: A big thank you. - 12/12/2011 23:53

Sad news indeed John. Best wishes to you and your family. Lets hope for a quick recovery . smile
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 00:03

Sorry to hear this John. The worst things always happen to the most decent people. I'm very hopeful that your daughter will get through this as quickly and painlessly as possible, and you can all have a better year in 2012 smile
Posted By: adder58

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 07:55

my and my familys thoughts are with you all John.

Again I have a 16 year old daughter, it was bad enough watching her go off to a fancy dress party last weekend in an Ann Summers sailors outfit!!

Lets hope Evie beats this quickly

I'm not too far away, any help needed please just ask...

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 09:09

Hi

So sorry to hear about that, I am not a regular on here any more so did not know, however hopefully as you say it was caught early its sounds like there are lots of reasons to be positive. Having no children myself it is something I almost cant comprehend, but shall have my fingers crossed for your daughter.

M.

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 10:27

My thoughts are with you, your family and especially your daughter. I can't even imagine what you are going through. Stay strong and positive for your daughter, and let your friends be strong and positive for you.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 17:50

Fingers crossed for a complete recovery John, hope that forum power [esp those mentioned] will contribute psychologically when she's feeling down.

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 18:24

Sorry to hear this John, that was a real jaw-dropping post that suddenly made me realise things aren't as bad as they could be in my life at the moment, even if I think otherwise. I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that either.

Not much to add to what's already been said, apart from never underestimate the power of optimism and positive thinking at times like these.

All the best to all of you.
Posted By: Emjay

Re: A big thank you. - 13/12/2011 18:54

John, the people I know who you have helped out keep telling me what a lovely bloke you are - and those who haven't met him, he really is. I know there is nothing you wouldn't have done to have spared Evie from the brokenness of life and, as a dad, not being able to protect her from everything must be so hard.

One of the hardest things to do as a man is to admit when things are getting tough. You have our continued respect, support and our resources at your disposal when needed.

Looking forward to things forming some semblance of order and catching up properly over that curry soon.

The J's
Posted By: MCMike

Re: A big thank you. - 14/12/2011 14:32

I have everything crossed for a speedy recovery for your daughter John.

Mike
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: A big thank you. - 14/12/2011 15:21

John,

Really sad to hear this. If there is anything that we can do you have but to ask.

My best to both of you and to Evie.

You seem to be dealing with this in the best possible manor. All my thoughts and fingers crossed for the quickest recovery.

Your a good man John. Chin up.
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: A big thank you. - 14/12/2011 15:47

All the best John. 2a is early and Marsden are simply excellent so wishing her speedy recovery.
Posted By: cooper

Re: A big thank you. - 14/12/2011 19:58

Good luck to your daughter, best wishes to you all.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: A big thank you. - 14/12/2011 22:35

John, I've been glad (though that doesn't feel like the right word) to be able to help someone going through the dreadful experiences we've been through and hopefully at least let you know that what you're are feeling and experiencing is "normal". You've all done brilliantly and I hope that Evie will get through this as well as Charlie has. The kids are fantastic as are the healthcare professionals. Charlie no longer feels the need to wear a beanie and took his first few unaided steps a week or so ago. As crap as it seems at times, it does get better.

I'll be raising money next year for Teenage Cancer Trust - this year I got to £7,500-ish. Mrs MRS raised another £5000 through the school. I'm planning on doing a 600 mile ride from farthest westerly mainland UK point to farthest easterly around end May. This week we lost a third friend to cancer in a year. The more we can do to beat this horrible disease, the better.

All the best, John. Please feel free to bounce stuff off me as you go through the highs and lows - its quite cathartic for me too. I'm sure Stan is a brilliant help too - he has been for me.

Re: A big thank you. - 03/01/2012 19:51

Last Chemotherapy session toady... thank god. There is only so much you can take watching the medical profession take one, on the surface, healthy person and poison them till they are at their lowest ebb. It is truly heartbreaking. Evie is being fantastic, which also make me want to well up every time I talk to her cry

Hospital staff have been great, to be fair it is the side effects of the various drugs that are causing more issues than the drugs themselves. Steroids are nasty things and after this none of us will ever touch codeine.

After a day in hospital on New years day I hope that was the bottom of the trough and we are now on our way up ready for a better 2012.

Re: A big thank you. - 03/01/2012 19:58

Originally Posted By: bockers

After a day in hospital on New years day I hope that was the bottom of the trough and we are now on our way up ready for a better 2012.

Here here... all the best to you all thumb
Posted By: samsite999

Re: A big thank you. - 03/01/2012 20:04

Having taken steroids and codeine for a very long time, she has my sympathies. I hope this is the last time your daughter and indeed your self will ever feel this down.

Hopping for a better 2012 for you all mate thumb

Re: A big thank you. - 03/01/2012 20:23

All the best mate.
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: A big thank you. - 03/01/2012 20:43

Let it be the start for a fantastic 2012 John. Hope everything goes UP from here on. GOOD LUCK!

Re: A big thank you. - 03/01/2012 20:53

Good luck!!!!

Re: A big thank you. - 04/01/2012 10:05

Originally Posted By: Kayjey
Let it be the start for a fantastic 2012 John. Hope everything goes UP from here on. GOOD LUCK!

Agreed, hoping for a great 2012 for you all John
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: A big thank you. - 04/01/2012 10:18

Very best wishes to you and yours John. I hope you will look back on 2012 for all the good things that happen from now on.

Re: A big thank you. - 04/01/2012 11:05

Here's for a better 2012 for Evie and Charlie! (and their dads wink )

Re: A big thank you. - 04/01/2012 11:29

I think I speak for everyone on here when I say "^+1"!

Re: A big thank you. - 04/01/2012 11:30

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
I think I speak for everyone on here when I say "^+1"!

You certainly speak for me Jim.
Posted By: RusH

Re: A big thank you. - 04/01/2012 11:54

I'm having a pretty stressful day at work and that's just put a lot of stuff into perspective that i really shouldn't be worrying about.

All the best.

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 14:20

Well done Evie. 27th October we had our lowest day, but after intensive chemo, and a lot of courage from Evie, today we had the best news ever. The Chemotherapy has worked and so comes to an end the toughest 3 months for all the family.

To watch you daughter be made sicker and sicker in front of your eyes and have the trust the this is saving her is a hard thing to cope with. When I first saw her without any hair I had to hide my shock, and it still effects me weeks later. We only had 8 weeks of chemo, how other cope with years of treatment is truly inspiring. Evie has always dressed up and worn her wig so very few people around her knew what she was going through. I am so proud of her, and now we can all look to the future again.

Thank you to all who gave their support and to those who are going through, or know someone who is going through Cancer treatment this be inspiration and encouragement that it can be beaten. Looking forward to the future again!

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 14:30

Great news John.

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 14:31

Brave girl, brave family. Great news, John. I hope 2012 just keeps getting better for you and yours.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 14:34

Best of luck to you all, but especially, of course, to Evie

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 14:35

Great news, much be such a relief to all of you.

My best friend went through testicular a few years ago in his early twenties and thankfully is Ok now too. Amazing what they can do nowadays really.

Well done to Evie!

Hope 2012 starts getting better! smile

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 14:47

Great news John. So pleased for you and your family, especially brave little Evie smile

Now go and enjoy 2012!

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 15:08

This news had me in tears - with a big grin on my face - Fan-bloody-tastic!
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 15:35

Fantastic news John, we're all really please here mate wink
Posted By: Darlo_Nick

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 15:48

Great news John! All the best for your family for 2012!!

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 15:48

Couldn't wish for more - great job all smile
Posted By: JimO

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 15:57

Great news John, now sort out a poppadom night with Mark - you're buying laugh

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 22:27

very good news John wink
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 22:48

Bockers I've never really had cause to be close to folk who've befallen this stuff and after reading MRS and your daughter's tales I'm left open-mouthed at these stories; great news however smile

Re: A big thank you. - 27/01/2012 23:43

Excellent news.
Posted By: adder58

Re: A big thank you. - 29/01/2012 09:51

if carlsberg did good news wink... that is great stuff to read John, myself and my family are very chuffed for you all. you must feel 'out of this world' ! laugh
Posted By: came2dance

Re: A big thank you. - 29/01/2012 10:30

Great News John. You must all be really ..... "you kow it's not often that happens, I'm stuck for words there!"

It's fantastic new anyways. So glad for you all cool
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK