Fiat Coupe Club UK

Another proud moment for Human Rights...

Posted By: Anonymous

Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 11:28

Outstanding.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 12:36

grr curse suicide
Posted By: Emjay

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 12:52

From the link:

Allowing a criminal court to rely on torture evidence would legitimise the torture of witnesses and suspects pre-trial. Moreover, torture evidence was unreliable, because a person being tortured would say anything to make it stop.

The Court found that torture was widespread in Jordan, as was the use of torture evidence by the Jordanian courts.

The Court also found that, in relation to each of the two terrorist conspiracies charged against Mr Othman, the evidence of his involvement had been obtained by torturing one of his co-defendants.

Strasbourg said that it was highly probable that the "decisive" evidence against the preacher had come from abusing these defendants.

In the absence of any assurance by Jordan that the torture evidence would not be used against Mr Othman, the Court therefore concluded that his deportation to Jordan to be retried would give rise to a flagrant denial of justice in violation of his right to a fair trial

So the basic problem is that Jordan would not give any assurance that evidence obtained by torture would not be used.

Closer scrutiny means that it would make no sense if you are the sort of person would have no qualms about being put personally on trial (and not within the English legal system) on the basis of evidence given by someone in another country who was being tortured. That doesn't work for me - but I have no problem with him being put on trial and having to give an account.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 13:41

I have to say I agree with Emjay. Due process is what hopefully sets us apart from places like Jordan.

If we allow this to happen it makes us no better than them.... If you are really after a misscarage of justice look towards the USA extraditing a UK citizen for something that isn't even a crime here.
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 14:49

That is a good judgement imo.

British Judges always seem to make stupid decisions in these cases.

You cannot send him back to Jordan to stand trial when the evidence used against him is from torture. Whats the point. You might as well shoot him here and save everyone the bother.

Why the British Judges think it is acceptable to send him their in the first place is what is wrong.

Also a diplomatic agreement is not in my own opinion a suitable safety guarantee.

Granted he is not a nice guy it seems, but descending to torture, bodged justice or condoning it makes us not far off what we accuse him of being.

British Justice is not what it once was.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 16:12

bugger being politically correct, this guy is heavily involved in international terrorist activites encouraging the killing of innocent civilians

he contributes nothing to Britain at all and all he and his family do is cost us a fortune, deport him and sod the European Court of Human rights, whatever happens to him happens
Posted By: Brewster

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 16:20

If the ECHR don't want him to go to Jordan then maybe we should stick him and his family on the next ferry out of Hull and they can look after this poor, downtrodden mite.

Or better still;

Originally Posted By: Sedicivalvole
You might as well shoot him here and save everyone the bother.

Bullets are a lot cheaper than an overnight crossing.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 16:22

Send him on a Mediterranean cruise

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 16:26

Originally Posted By: doug20vt
bugger being politically correct, this guy is heavily involved in international terrorist activites encouraging the killing of innocent civilians

Then he can be tried for that. Nobody is saying he can't and should not be tried for that.

What does that have to do with the appropriateness of relying upon evidence obtained by torture? If not allowing evidence obtained by torture is your idea of 'politically correct' that might be over-egging the pudding.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 16:31

Originally Posted By: Brewster
If the ECHR don't want him to go to Jordan

The ECHR don't want him to be tried on the basis of evidence obtained by torture. If Jordan say they won't be using evidence obtained by torture he is on the next boat.

I'm not sure there is really anything in that decision for anyone to get worked up about.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 16:55

I appreciate he appears to be what passes for a human being these days, but there comes a point where morals should take precedent.

He doesn't like us, he actively encourages the indiscriminate killing of indiginous British people and as such, regardless of this case, he should be shipped off to the first unpleasant place that wants him.

Freedom of travel is a human right too. Maybe we could drop him off in the middle of the North Sea and then he can decide whether he wants to swim back to this horrid country full of infidels or to Belgium where his human rights can be protected by the arseclarts that run the ECHR.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 17:07

Originally Posted By: Emjay

Then he can be tried for that. Nobody is saying he can't and should not be tried for that.

What does that have to do with the appropriateness of relying upon evidence obtained by torture? If not allowing evidence obtained by torture is your idea of 'politically correct' that might be over-egging the pudding.

Sorry but I think Emjay is on the money here.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 17:29

i'm sorry but this guy wouldn't think twice about killing any of us or our families or supporting organisations that would do and would rejoice were any of us to meet our demise in such an unfortunate way

i frankly couldn't care less about folk like that and I want them out of our country, if Jordan have tortured him, then frankly good for them, sorry if that's not politically correct but when dealing with dangerous lunatics like him doing it the 'right way' just doesn't work
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 17:36

there comes a point where morals should take precedent.

Nice to see you in agreement for once, Brewster.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 17:41

Originally Posted By: AndrewR
there comes a point where morals should take precedent.

Nice to see you in agreement for once, Brewster.

Who decides the morals? My moral code has no problem with the idea of him just disappearing one night, never to be seen again. I could think of some other names to add to the list as well.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 17:43

Originally Posted By: samsite999
If you are really after a misscarage of justice look towards the USA extraditing a UK citizen for something that isn't even a crime here.

The case you're referring to Sam?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 17:43

Do you honestly believe that what the ECHR has done here is based on morality? Do you think the lawyer that has won this case will go home to his big, tax-payer funded mansion and feel a warm glow that he has done the right thing?

What has happened is some clever dick laywer(s) have seen a way of putting in yet another big bill to the EU whilst getting many slaps on the back from all the other honourable defenders of justice hovering around that trough for sticking two fingers up to the UK Govt.

If anyone thinks this case was anything more than a lawyer making a name for himself and earning a new wing to the mansion they are very misguided.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 18:11

If we are all agreed that he is a very bad man indeed, then why not try him in a UK court on charges of being very bad. If we don't have enough evidence and the only place that does, has based this on things said by someone whose testicles are on fire, then I doubt it's very reliable. You really wouldn't believe the appalling things I'd admit to if I was even threatened with being tortured.
All this judgement says is that if it's not ok to convict someone here using dodgy evidence, then there's a tiny inconsistency with sending them somewhere where the authorities have refused to deny that they will do just that.
If the usual Lords of Swift and Implacable Justice will step away from the mouth froth, they will see that really, this decision is pretty inevitable.
Sorry if that's less satisfying than an iron coffin with spikes on the inside as Monty Python once said, but hey, civilisation, what a bummer.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 18:26

Do you honestly believe that what the ECHR has done here is based on morality?

I do think the admissibility of evidence obtained by torture is a moral question, but not exclusively so. The court is a legal forum, not a moral one. That does not mean that moral decisions don't influence the development and formation of law.

Quote:
Do you think the lawyer that has won this case will go home to his big, tax-payer funded mansion and feel a warm glow that he has done the right thing?

Yes. As well as discharging their professional duty to their client, it looks to have been a good decision bearing in mind the court conclusion on the facts (inconvenient as they may be to a good bilious rant).

Quote:
What has happened is some clever dick laywer(s) have seen a way of putting in yet another big bill to the EU whilst getting many slaps on the back from all the other honourable defenders of justice hovering around that trough for sticking two fingers up to the UK Govt.

I'm not sure this really is some lawyer trying to circumvent due process by the old 'torture' loophole. The courts conclusions on the facts made the decision inevitable.

Quote:
If anyone thinks this case was anything more than a lawyer making a name for himself and earning a new wing to the mansion they are very misguided.

Or, just perhaps, you could be going off on one (entertaining as it may be) without having really understood and balanced the arguments?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 18:52

i'm sorry but this guy wouldn't think twice about killing any of us or our families or supporting organisations that would do and would rejoice were any of us to meet our demise in such an unfortunate way

And that is *exactly* why we should be punctilious in our application of legal justice to him, lest we descend to his level.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 18:58

this is a guy who utterly despises our infidel way of life and who will actively seek to recruit other lunatics into organisations who seek to actively harm individuals in both our country and abroad, yet at the same time taking full advantage of the benefits systems and the legal protection afforded by our state

this softly softly approach taken by certain individuals within our country and backed up by the ECHR will make this country a haven for lunatics like this and while its all very well to take the moral high ground and say the individuals rights should be protected surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the vile minority of those terrorists who come in to this country

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:15

this is a guy who utterly despises our infidel way of life and who will actively seek to recruit other lunatics into organisations who seek to actively harm individuals in both our country and abroad, yet at the same time taking full advantage of the benefits systems and the legal protection afforded by our state

this softly softly approach taken by certain individuals within our country and backed up by the ECHR will make this country a haven for lunatics like this and while its all very well to take the moral high ground and say the individuals rights should be protected surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the vile minority of those terrorists who come in to this country

So what action are you advocating and based on what evidence?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:42

Or, just perhaps, you could be going off on one (entertaining as it may be) without having really understood and balanced the arguments?

Oh no, I understand exactly what your/their argument is. Doesn't mean I like it.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

If I was High Chancellor I'd arrange a live television broadcast addressed to the ECHR where I kicked the defendant off the white cliffs of Dover, based on the fact that he is an odious man advocating terrorism in a country that is stupid enough to defend his right to do so. Looking down the camera I'd then ask them what they'd like to do about it while I flagged the vees and an orchestra played some rousing Elgar in the background.

Unfortunately for everyone, bar muslim extremists, I am not.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:43

this softly softly approach taken by certain individuals within our country and backed up by the ECHR will make has made this country a haven for lunatics like this and while its all very well to take the moral high ground and say the individuals rights should be protected surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the
vile minority of those terrorists who come in to this country

coffee
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:44

Surely if he as evil as the press would have me believe, how come he's not in prison already?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:45

He is in prison Steve.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:47

If I was High Chancellor I'd arrange a live television broadcast addressed to the ECHR where I kicked the defendant off the white cliffs of Dover, based on the fact that he is an odious man advocating terrorism in a country that is stupid enough to defend his right to do so. Looking down the camera I'd then ask them what they'd like to do about it while I flagged the vees and an orchestra played some rousing Elgar in the background.

Unfortunately for everyone, bar muslim extremists, I am not.

Oh I see. Well, why didn't you say so? For a moment I thought you might consider something deranged that could undermine your argument.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:48

Are you sure?

I thought he was held in Belmarsh without charge or trial, before being released when the bleeding heart liberals pointed out that such a course of action was illegal.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:49

Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve
Surely if he as evil as the press would have me believe, how come he's not in prison already?

Do I detect a whiff of apparently undetected sarcasm?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:49

From me, Jim?

Surely not!

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:52

Do I detect a whiff of apparently undetected sarcasm?

Ah yeah, well um, um, um, I knew he was being sarcastic all along m'lud.

Honest...

coat

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:57

Say new more Jim, under the Terrorism Act 2006, Shiney has no right in law to know the evidence against him.

Quick, ship him out to Guantanamo before they close it, that'll rid him of his fag habit!

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 19:59

...that'll rid him of his fag habit!

I couldn't possibly comment.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 20:02

I thought he was held in Belmarsh without charge or trial, before being released when the bleeding heart liberals pointed out that such a course of action was illegal.

If only the liberals would argue that it's more relevant to count the cost of keeping this creature alive, fed, watered and warm.

Maybe they should have let the Americans have him, I hear there is an available suite at Guantamo Bay...

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 20:03

Oooh that's spooky OxfordSteve and Shiny both had Guantanamo Bay on their minds at that same time...

wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 20:07

I think you'll find he's now under a (slightly less illegal) control order, and under house arrest, so I doubt we are feeding him any more.

Liberals are so shyte aren't they, insisting that the state can't bang people up without any actual evidence that has been proven in court.
They should be allowed to just lock 'em up and throw away the key on a whim. Fortunately, that appears to be what Ken Clarke is planning.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 20:09

I can't believe how much sleep I'm going to lose when we can lock up those advocating terrorism against their host natio.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 20:13

I think you'll find he's now under a (slightly less illegal) control order, and under house arrest, so I doubt we are feeding him any more.

Yeah you're right, there is absolutely no chance that he and his extended family are living off the state.

I mean, a hard working fellow like that will obviously have time for a 9 to 5 in between hate speeches, and lest we forget numerous prayers during the day.

Or possibly counting the £170,000 in cash police found at his home address...

coffee

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 21:17

surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the vile minority

What if the majority change their opinion of you? It has to have due process. The state cannot have the power to wilfully dispose of people it finds awkward. Regardless of whether the public view his as bad or not. If he then the systems in place will deal with him.

Now whether I think those systems are suitable is another mater.

Originally Posted By: barnacle

And that is *exactly* why we should be punctilious in our application of legal justice to him, lest we descend to his level.

Exactly as I said earlier.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 22:21

Liberals are so shyte aren't they,

Not often we agree OS wink
Posted By: Azzura

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 22:22

Thereby hangs a fundamental misunderstanding of what is happening here. If ONE individual's rights in law are not protected, NONE of our rights in law are protected.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 22:30

i am advocating deporting a man who supports murder and terrorist activities, do you seriously want a bloke like this in our country, do you put his 'civil rights' before the safety of decent people, lets remember this guy activily encourages and promotes terrorist activity, the aim of which is ultimately to blow up innocent people, i'm sorry but lets be real here and get this lunatic out of our country

Sedicivalvole, i am not suggesting that we rid our country of those who express an opionion which is seen as outwith the social norm, but i am suggesting that we get rid of those who incite and encourage murder and terrorist activity

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 22:35

Originally Posted By: Azzura

Thereby hangs a fundamental misunderstanding of what is happening here. If ONE individual's rights in law are not protected, NONE of our rights in law are protected.

it is not a fundamental misunderstanding at all, it's a desire to rid the country of foreign lunatics who want to disrupt and cause chaos in our society through ultimately wanting to murder people, i won't apologise for that desire at all, by deporting lunatics like this no decent individual's rights are affected at all, so i'm afraid that statement you made is just not true

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 22:52

i am advocating deporting a man who supports murder and terrorist activities, do you seriously want a bloke like this in our country, do you put his 'civil rights' before the safety of decent people, lets remember this guy activily encourages and promotes terrorist activity, the aim of which is ultimately to blow up innocent people, i'm sorry but lets be real here and get this lunatic out of our country

Sedicivalvole, i am not suggesting that we rid our country of those who express an opionion which is seen as outwith the social norm, but i am suggesting that we get rid of those who incite and encourage murder and terrorist activity

You seem to have missed the "on what evidence" bit. Sorry to be an old stick-in-the-mud, but if we had sufficient evidence to convict him, then convict him we would.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 23:05

According to an article I read this evening, the advice given by the security services when he arrived was that he was "All talk", and did Not a constitute a threat.

So, to charge him now would tell us one of two things. Either back then the security forces were useless then, OR they are making it all up now. Or both.

Any way, if it comes to court, MI5/6/Bodie & Doyle will look pretty stupid.
Which is why it wont come to court, and why the govt is so keen to ship him out to Jordan (the country I assume, not the big-jugged bint).

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 17/01/2012 23:36

it is not a fundamental misunderstanding at all, it's a desire to rid the country of foreign lunatics who want to disrupt and cause chaos in our society through ultimately wanting to murder people, i won't apologise for that desire at all, by deporting lunatics like this no decent individual's rights are affected at all, so i'm afraid that statement you made is just not true

So your desire to act without evidence and bypass all of our laws does not equate to a fundamental misunderstanding that the rule and protection of law must apply to everyone individually before it can be said to apply to us all collectively? Perhaps the prefix "funda" was superfluous.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 00:27

this guy is not even a British national, he is just hiding out here, taking all he can get from the system for him and his family

quite frankly its saps like you with your namby pamby approach to things that make this country an easy target for lunatics

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 07:43

Guys like me??

Well clearly I am a threat to the state and should be locked up for these thought crimes.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 08:13

i was responding to azzura's comment, not yours

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 08:19

this guy is not even a British national, he is just hiding out here, taking all he can get from the system for him and his family

quite frankly its saps like you with your namby pamby approach to things that make this country an easy target for lunatics

I just happen to think that our system works when it is applied and that it has to be applied to all equally to make it work. If there exists evidence lawfully obtained that the man has committed crimes he can be prosecuted here for them, if the Jordanians have evidence lawfully obtained and give the appropriate binding legal assurances that they will not use evidence unlawfully obtained, he can be prosecuted there. It is very simple.

Frankly, I consider the ill educated xenophobic rantings of people who wish to ignore or destroy the well founded legal protections that all in our society should enjoy simply to satisfy prejudice , a far,far greater threat to our society than any potential or actual terrorist.

Thanks for the early morning belly laugh though, "namby pamby sap" is so far turned around from the usual descriptions of my actions as to make a refreshing change.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 08:45

The eventual outcome of your thinking Doug is well illustrated in the film "V for Vendetta".

Ross

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 08:45

why don't you invite this guy round for tea at yours, as he's clearly just a poor misunderstood individual and you clearly don't mind supporting the 'human rights' of those who would seek to undermine and destroy our way of life, those who support and sponsor terrorist organisations

you will probably just dismiss that as another rant from an ill educated xenophobe

although if you consider the rantings from myself and the like as being more of a threat to our society than an 'actual terrorist' then it just reiterates my early opinion of your attitude

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 09:01

why don't you invite this guy round for tea at yours, as he's clearly just a poor misunderstood individual and you clearly don't mind supporting the 'human rights' of those who would seek to undermine and destroy our way of life, those who support and sponsor terrorist organisations

Nobody is saying he's a nice person, but you can't apply right based on who's nice or who you think deserves them. Rights have to apply to everybody or else they are useless.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 09:11

you will probably just dismiss that as another rant from an ill educated xenophobe

although if you consider the rantings from myself and the like as being more of a threat to our society than an 'actual terrorist' then it just reiterates my early opinion of your attitude

I'm not sure where you get the idea that anyone in this thread supports, likes or approves of Abu Qatada. The only point being made is that in order to convict him (or anyone) of an offence, you have to establish their guilt through a process of law. Without ensuring that this process is thorough, just and objective, there is nothing to stop others (you, perhaps, or me or my dear old Mum) from being punished for something that they are only guilty of because someone reckons they are.

Seriously, you have made a lot of allegations about this bloke, but how much evidence have you actually seen that wasn't filtered by the editor of a newspaper or TV newsroom, written by someone unaccountable on a website or told you down the pub by a mate? I'm not saying for a moment that he doesn't hold or express views we find repugnant and unacceptable, but in grown-up world, we are responsible for all our actions and meting out superhero fiery "justice" is something we need to leave behind when we're 14.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 10:17

Well clearly I am a threat to the state and should be locked up for these thought crimes.

Tell us what it was like though wont you Steve...

wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 11:17

that'll rid him of his fag habit!

Oh i don't know about that, he does drive a yellow car is suspiciously friendly with Homodan laugh

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 11:44

Originally Posted By: proccy
Oh i don't know about that, he does drive a yellow car is suspiciously friendly with Homodan laugh

And Marco... wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 12:01

Frankly, I consider the ill educated xenophobic rantings of people who wish to ignore or destroy the well founded legal protections that all in our society should enjoy simply to satisfy prejudice , a far,far greater threat to our society than any potential or actual terrorist.

That is the thing that most alarms me. We have spent hundreds of years fighting and pushing for what we have now.

Then for the last 50 years we have had a semblance of a fair society. Now people who have grown up in or around that period either ignore or forget, the warnings of history as to how things were and could so easily be again.

We must protect what prior generations have fought so hard to achieve. It still bends the mind that human rights are not enshrined in this country and could be legally removed.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 12:27

Protected in a well constructed bill of rights perhaps. Weren't we promised one by this government when they slithered into office?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 12:30

Protected in a well constructed bill of rights perhaps. Weren't we promised one by this government when they slithered into office?

Given the amount of good it seems to be doing the home of extraordinary rendition, 'enhanced' interrogation techniques and TLD censoring I am, on this occasion, not sure we're missing out on that much.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 15:03

Depends what is written in to it really.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 16:28

Originally Posted By: Sedicivalvole
Depends what is written in to it really.

Absolutely.

How about, rule 1 - if you arrive in the UK with a forged passport, then claim asylum, and then after the UK is kind enough to offer you and your family safe haven, plus a free house, hundreds of thousands of pounds in benefits, you spend every available opportunity encouraging Muslims to embrace jihad and kill innocent civilians - you are immediately executed by firing squad.

coffee

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 16:53

If you come to the UK to escape torture and are lawfully granted asylum, allegations against you that will lead to your execution should be accepted at face value without any need for you to be charged, put on trial or have the chance to put the case against your execution.

You have thought this through and rationally concluded this would be your Elyssian state?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 18:40

If you come to the UK to escape torture and are lawfully granted asylum, allegations against you that will lead to your execution should be accepted at face value without any need for you to be charged, put on trial or have the chance to put the case against your execution.

Firstly, if you come to the UK on a forged passport, you should be immediately deported to your country of origin.

Any asylum claim should be dismissed following the the crime committed above.

In the case where an individual is claiming asylum to avoid torture in their country if origin for terrorist criminality, the plane deporting them should only be told to fly faster.

If in his case, asylum has been granted, the very second he is found to be encouraging others to commit terrorist acts against the citizens of the very same country that has granted him asylum, he should be convicted of treason and then executed.

Treason being the only crime you can still be executed for in this country.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:05

I am all for the UK being a safe haven for people who are in fear of their lives in another country. However if these people then commit crime or berate/ignore the laws/morals of this country, they should be sent back PRONTO. I am totally in favour of the old adage "When in Rome". Feel free to follow any religion or belief you wish, but do not even dream of trying to change the fabric of the society that you are trying to integrate into.

Integration is the key, not radicalisation.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:09

Originally Posted By: shinyshoes

Except that it's not. There are no offences for which the death penalty exists in this country.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:18

Originally Posted By: Niemoller
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

For some reason I take an opposite view from Shiny and Doug and their cohort - might be something to do with the fact that my wife's mother is one of three of her family who survived world war two.

They survived because - and only because - they were able to leave on the Kindertransport trains in the thirties; the remainder of the family are ashes in the mass graves in Dachau and Auschwitz.

So, no. I don't like it when people jump on kick 'em out or kill 'em on sight policies... if the person has committed crimes in this country then let the evidence be considered in court and appropriate sentence passed.

But the essence of civilisation is that the same rules apply to *all*. As Beatrice Hall said: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

While the UK is signatory to the appropriate treaties, it *cannot* return a person to a country where he is expected to be tortured or where evidence acquired by torture will be used in his trial.

You may now label me a bleeding heart liberal. I will relish the title.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:20

Except that it's not. There are no offences for which the death penalty exists in this country.

Correct. Until 1814 treason was punishable by hanging, but before death the bowels were removed and burnt in front of the miscreant, then beheading then quartering. Ouch shocked .

After this date simple hanging was felt to be sufficient. This punishment for treason was only replaced in 1998 for life imprisonment.

Don Revie was very fortunate not to be hanged wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:27

Absolutely.

How about, rule 1 - if you arrive in the UK with a forged passport, then claim asylum, and then after the UK is kind enough to offer you and your family safe haven, plus a free house, hundreds of thousands of pounds in benefits, you spend every available opportunity encouraging Muslims to embrace jihad and kill innocent civilians - you are immediately executed by firing squad.

coffee

My father ( 3 years old in 1939 ) and his sister were the only members of his extended family to survive the Second World War. Everyone else was arrested and imprisoned without trial simply because of their nationality or national origins, then after many months of being kept in high security prison under harsh conditions they were herded onto a ship where they were forced into the hold under armed guard with all means of escape covered in barbed wire and when the ship was torpedoed they all died.

All of this was done by the British Government acting under the type of ignorant hysteria displayed above.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:33

Firstly, if you come to the UK on a forged passport, you should be immediately deported to your country of origin.

I can't believe I'm even bothering with this, but my cat is busy with more sophisticated arguments...

If you were wishing to escape from country A and hoping to claim asylum in country B (or C or D or ...), there is a reasonable chance that the Country A authorities might - far from issuing you with a valid passport and a cheery wave - beat you with rubber hoses and, you know, kill you. In order to avoid torture and death you might be tempted to seek another source of documentation, otherwise known as a forgery.
Imagine how you might laugh at the Kafka-esque situation of being deported by the just and fair-minded people of safe-haven B (haven in the sense of sanctuary and safety, not the perverted use it has been reduced to) for not having a passport that you have no way of obtaining, back to a country that wants to kill you. I'd say that was a tad harsh for using a fake document to save your life. You'd surely be chuckling all through the in-flight movie, though probably less so once you landed.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:36

Originally Posted By: tim42
After this date simple hanging was felt to be sufficient. This punishment for treason was only replaced in 1998 for life imprisonment.

I stand corrected, I thought it was still a possibility.

Still, we are broke, so we can't really afford to house another prisoner for a life sentence, so a single bullet will suffice.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 19:44

I stand corrected, I thought it was still a possibility.

Still, we are broke, so we can't really afford to house another prisoner for a life sentence, so a single bullet will suffice.

1813 might still be entertaining; better than Big Brother wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 20:18

I can't believe I'm even bothering with this, but my cat is busy with more sophisticated arguments...

If you were wishing to escape from country A and hoping to claim asylum in country B (or C or D or ...), there is a reasonable chance that the Country A authorities might - far from issuing you with a valid passport and a cheery wave - beat you with rubber hoses and, you know, kill you. In order to avoid torture and death you might be tempted to seek another source of documentation, otherwise known as a forgery.

I'm sure Brewster (and others) would be keen to have it both ways - if you seek asylum with a forged passport then that's an offence and you're shipped back home. If you apply for asylum with a genuine passport then the issuing of the passport proves that your home government isn't imposing unfair restrictions upon you, so your application for asylum can be rejected out of hand.

Joseph Heller would be proud.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:01

Nice to know that in Shiney's world, if you arrived in Dover in 1939, on any forged papers you could get hold of, he would pack you back off to Hitler.

or from Zimbabwe

or darfur

or apartheid south Africa

or pinochets Chile

or soviet Russia

or Vietnam

or north Korea

or modern day China

or any number of other places run by total cloud9.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:21

Blah blah blah

Whats more interesting is that for a highly intelligent chap like yourself Steve, you cannot see that there is no E in the word shiny.

Or even more interesting, is that apparently, believing that the British tax payer should not foot the bill for wanted terrorists to live in a country they hate, want to destroy, and have no right or reason to even stand in as they came here illegally on false documents, is in some way related to Naziism.

Maybe do a little more research.

coffee

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:27

I think we should be proud of having an open door to those in need, yes.

There will be some people taking advantage of our hospitality, of course, but i see no reason why this should mean we slam the door.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:33

There will be some people taking advantage of our hospitality, of course, but i see no reason why this should mean we slam the door.

So I have to ask, given that the man in question is a wanted terrorist, who freely encouraged others to attack and kill British civilians, if this is not enough reason in your eyes to 'slam the door', what exactly does a man or woman have to do, to not be given the golden ticket of UK residency?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:38

If I turned up on your doorstep, cold, hungry and in desperate need you're probably kind enough to let me come in, give me a warm bowl of soup, a blanket, maybe even a tenner to see me right for a day or two.

If I then stood up in your lounge in front of your family and proclaim that you should all die a horrible death for being infidels I imagine you'd ask me to leave if not forcibly eject me.

This man needs forcibly ejecting, regardless of what the ECHR says. I don't care where he goes, I don't care how he goes and I certainly don't care what happens when he gets there, but it is entirely right that he goes.

A disgusting, odious turd of a sub-human that doesn't deserve to lick my boots. I would gladly be the man to put the noose around his neck and pull the lever.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:38

A wanted terrorist found guilty based on evidence gained under torture.

You happy with that??

What am i saying, of course you are.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:43

A wanted terrorist found guilty based on evidence gained under torture.

Ah, so his actions, comments, preachings, openly praising Usama Bin Laden, being known to be involved in radical Islamic groups within in the UK and abroad etc, this is all just circumstantial?

A pure coincidence no doubt.

FFS do people really need a weatherman to tell them when its raining?!

banghead

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 21:48

I assume you have read his writings and preachings then?

I've not either, but i would if there is anything illegal in there, I would to see the facts tested in court. Surely you would too?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 22:04

Frankly I wouldn't want another penny spent on him, and certainly not the several millions of pounds it would cost to take him to court.

Just give him back to the Jordanians.

If Allah really is looking out for him, he'll be fine...

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 22:04

So I have to ask, given that the man in question is a wanted terrorist, who freely encouraged others to attack and kill British civilians, if this is not enough reason in your eyes to 'slam the door', what exactly does a man or woman have to do, to not be given the golden ticket of UK residency?

In all seriousness, why has he not stood trial in the UK? If we all have all these facts, why is he not serving life at HM's pleasure?

Is it those liberals again? Interfering with their need for proof?

I'm genuinely baffled.
Posted By: robcoupe20vt

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 23:22

Lets hope the British Goverment appeal the ECHR ruling and hes kicked out of this country but i wont hold my breath .

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 18/01/2012 23:43

Jim you're right it's that blasted evidence thing again.

I'm glad someone mentioned the lack of an official passport when arriving claiming asylum. I had hoped when I started reading it was an ironic post.

I agree, we should be proud to have an open door to those in need. Obviously a small minority will abuse it. That is true of all though.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 00:18

In all seriousness, why has he not stood trial in the UK? If we all have all these facts, why is he not serving life at HM's pleasure?

Your guess is as good as mine.

As the BBC reports -

Originally Posted By: BBC
Even as late as 1997, he was not considered to be fully part of the wider movement of international violent jihad, which al-Qaeda was coming to spearhead.

But the authorities believe his views were hardening, particularly after a sermon targeting Jews. And by 2001, the cleric had issued rulings justifying suicide attacks, as seen in a BBC Panorama interview the same year.

A Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon described Qatada as the "spiritual head of the mujahedin in Britain" - so the question for the British authorities was whether Qatada now supported "martyrdom operations" against Western targets.

The Security Service and police eventually concluded that Abu Qatada was a threat. In a court statement they said he was providing advice which gave religious legitimacy to those "who wish to further the aims of extreme Islamism and to engage in terrorist attacks, including suicide bombings".

The authorities said that a number of people arrested in connection with terrorism had described Qatada's influence. Richard Reid, the would-be mid-Atlantic shoe bomber, and Zacarias Moussaoui, both jailed for involvement in terrorism, are said to have sought religious advice from him. The cleric's sermons were found in a Hamburg flat used by some of those involved in 9/11.

When Qatada was questioned in 2001 over his alleged connections to a German cell, police found £170,000 cash in his home, including £805 in an envelope labelled "For the mujahideen in Chechnya". No charges were brought.

But on the eve of a new law to hold foreign terrorism suspects without charge or trial, he disappeared. He was later tracked down to a council house in south London and taken to Belmarsh Prison.

The Law Lords eventually ruled such detention illegal and Qatada was among those subjected to a control order, a form of house-arrest.

He was then rearrested and told he would be deported to Jordan, where he had been convicted in his absence of alleged involvement in a plot to target Americans and Israeli tourists during the country's millennium celebrations.

Couple that with entering the UK illegally, I'd say the evidence is laid out for all to see, and its time to say goodbye to Mr Qatada.

Then again, it seems by reading some of the posts on this thread, nothing short of this man strapping a kilo of semtex to his balls and blowing up your spouse is going to convince you that he is not worthy of being wrapped up in the Human Rights bubble of cotton wool.

coffee

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 07:11

I think his wife and extended family were/are also getting loads of cash from the state to live in their council house grr

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 07:41

Correct. Until 1814 treason was punishable by hanging, but before death the bowels were removed and burnt in front of the miscreant, then beheading then quartering. Ouch shocked .

After this date simple hanging was felt to be sufficient.

So we've been suffering with bleeding heart liberals since at least 1814 then? wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 08:50

...I'd say the evidence is laid out for all to see, and its time to say goodbye to Mr Qatada.

Now that's where I feel your argument lacks a tiny bit of weight. Even if you were one of m'learned friends, experienced in this kind of case, your "man-in-the-street reckon" here lacks a little persuasive proof.

Don't forget, HMG agree with you in many ways and will have some pretty heavyweight briefs on the job. So, the fact that even they can't deport him makes me think the actual, real evidence (as opposed to what appears in the media) must lack a bit of substance.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 09:11

Indeed Jim.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 10:44

I'm still really hoping that 50% of those on this thread are on the wind-up...

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 10:46

come on people, a guy with no job, a history of involvement with terrorist groups and being accused of sponsoring terrorist activites, what do you think the £170,000 was for and where did it come from, maybe he grew it in his money tree in the back garden, a guy in his circumstances does not get his hands on that kind of cash without it being highly illegal, or maybe we are wrong again and perhaps he has just been out collecting for charity and the tooth fairy really exists
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 10:53

Originally Posted By: jim3
I'm still really hoping that 50% of those on this thread are on the wind-up...

Unfortunately Jim I don't think that they are, just look through other, earlier threads.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 12:14

come on people, a guy with no job, a history of involvement with terrorist groups and being accused of sponsoring terrorist activites, what do you think the £170,000 was for and where did it come from, maybe he grew it in his money tree in the back garden, a guy in his circumstances does not get his hands on that kind of cash without it being highly illegal, or maybe we are wrong again and perhaps he has just been out collecting for charity and the tooth fairy really exists

Are you incapable of reading and understanding? Nobody is suggesting that he's never done anything illegal, but if he has then the burden of proof lies in providing reliable and conclusive evidence he has done so.

No matter how infallible you may feel your instincts for spotting baddies are he still needs to be accused of an actual crime and tried for it.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 12:33

i am perfectly capable of reading and understanding, i just happen to be expressing an opinion which differs from yours, sorry about that, but i don't want our country to be a haven for terrorists and their supporters who come here illegally

this guy is not from our country, send him back to where he comes from and let them deal with him or rather you would maybe have all these poor souls come to our country where they may freely scrounge off us all, while at the same time calling for us all to be blown up, but as long as their precious human rights are protected then thats ok despite the fact they would violate all of ours without a second thought

there seems to be a pattern of thought here that is we deport this guy that somehow the very foundation of our society will collapse, nobody will have any rights any more and that everyone will be arrested and we will suddenly find ourselves living in some sort of society where our every move will be monitored and we will be arrested for the merest infringement, bollocks, all that will happen is we wont have to pay a fortune every year for lunatics like this to hide in our country

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 12:55

You can only deport someone if it's legal to do so.

If your argument is that the law is an ass, then that's a bit different.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:14

Now that's where I feel your argument lacks a tiny bit of weight. Even if you were one of m'learned friends, experienced in this kind of case, your "man-in-the-street reckon" here lacks a little persuasive proof.

Don't forget, HMG agree with you in many ways and will have some pretty heavyweight briefs on the job. So, the fact that even they can't deport him makes me think the actual, real evidence (as opposed to what appears in the media) must lack a bit of substance.

A valid point Jim.

Thankfully, its not me you should be arguing with though.

If you do not believe me, try the Police, the Security Service, the Spanish/German authorities, the Anti Terrorism Unit, and so on.

Are you actually suggesting that they are all wrong?

You can only deport someone if it's legal to do so.

Should it not be legal to deport a foreign national who enters the UK illegally?

Lest we forget, as an example, had Mr Qatada entered the UK by clinging to the back axle of an HGV, and was subsequently discovered at the border, it would not be him that got fined, no no, the HGV driver would be, and have his licence revoked, facing possible jail time on top.

Mr Qatada on the other hand only has to mutter the word asylum, and suddenly he becomes a poster child for Human Rights activists.

What a fair, and just world we live in eh?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:16

Charge them, put them on trial, put the evidence to them and then convict them.

Doug20vt - Does that sound like a possible sensible alternative to just acting on the basis of an allegation?

That trial should be fair, though. The question is would it be a fair trial for the case against anyone to be founded on what someone has said whilst under torture.

If Jordan had agreed not to rely upon evidence obtained by torture, it looks to me as if the ECHR would have sanctioned deportation, and I'm not sure anyone here would have been the slightest bit concerned.

Can you appreciate the concern and understand why it is not the same as saying I want the UK to be a safe haven for terrorists?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:24

there seems to be a pattern of thought here that is we deport this guy that somehow the very foundation of our society will collapse, nobody will have any rights any more and that everyone will be arrested and we will suddenly find ourselves living in some sort of society where our every move will be monitored and we will be arrested for the merest infringement, bollocks, all that will happen is we wont have to pay a fortune every year for lunatics like this to hide in our country

Not at all - it won't be sudden. The movement towards the society you describe is one of small steps, each one applicable to only a handful of cases, practically unobjectionable in and of themselves.

But the small things, the tiny infringements that make sense for individual cases, mount up and suddenly you find that the government can decide who is undesirable, that they have the authority to convict without trial, that you have no legal right to challenge the government.

That's why we don't circumvent the law for small issues, because if it happens for small issues then it will happen for big ones, eventually.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:27

Shiny, you can use all the aggrieved rhetoric you want. You may have noticed that it cuts no ice with the people that decide these issues.

What I am "actually suggesting" is that if all the bodies you list had sufficient evidence that he had committed the offences you claim, then Abu Qatada would be in prison, convicted in a court of law.

No huffing and puffing or frothing at the mouth, just proof; that's what gets criminals convicted (with one or two glaring exceptions).

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:40

Shiny, you can use all the aggrieved rhetoric you want. You may have noticed that it cuts no ice with the people that decide these issues.

What I am "actually suggesting" is that if all the bodies you list had sufficient evidence that he had committed the offences you claim, then Abu Qatada would be in prison, convicted in a court of law.

No huffing and puffing or frothing at the mouth, just proof; that's what gets criminals convicted (with one or two glaring exceptions).

But therein lies the exact problem Jim, as we no longer control our legal system thanks to our good friend the EU, we have to suffer their incompetence on matters such as this.

The evidence against him, not only from our own Security Services, but those of at least two other countries have to be swept under the carpet incase we upset the poor little mite.

If the EU was not so blinded but the HRA, Mr Qatada could and should have been returned to the Jordanians years ago, to stand trial for his crimes in that country.

What may or may not happen to him is frankly of no concern what so ever - if you dont want to end your days in a squalid prison cell with your genitals on fire, the answer is simple, dont wage terrorist war against others.

Any 'human rights' you may have as an individual, you waiver as soon as you embark on such activities, and as such, just as has been reported (by the Police, Anti Terrorist Unit etc, not just the media) this man has actively encouraged, and supported terrorist groups within our own borders.

So, for us to now feel empathy for this man, and have to sheild him from the only justice he will understand is simply appalling.

And, if we were not so pathetically soft in this country, as soon as it was discovered he had entered the country illegally, he should have been taken to court for that CRIME, sentenced, jailed, and subsequently deported to his country of origin when his time was served.

But of course, that would violate his human rights... rolleyes

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:49

Any 'human rights' you may have as an individual, you waiver as soon as you embark on such activities, and as such, just as has been reported (by the Police, Anti Terrorist Unit etc, not just the media) this man has actively encouraged, and supported terrorist groups within our own borders.

And many, many people are in prison in countries such as China and Burma for supporting organisations that the governments of those countries have outlawed - and that's the problem with saying that human rights don't apply to people who support terrorists. If the government is only bound by those constraints, and they're also the ones who decide who are terrorists then nobody has any human rights.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 13:59

And many, many people are in prison in countries such as China and Burma for supporting organisations that the governments of those countries have outlawed - and that's the problem with saying that human rights don't apply to people who support terrorists. If the government is only bound by those constraints, and they're also the ones who decide who are terrorists then nobody has any human rights.

And what about the human rights of all the innocent civilians targeted for execution because they dont read the same vile books as Qatada and his followers?

Are they less important than a man who wants to kill them?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 14:09

You really don't get what the rule of law is about do you Shiny?

It's much easier to go off on a xenophobic rant any day.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 14:12

Chine and Burma outlaw organisaions that seek to actively politically oppose their government, we do not do this, we outlaw terrorist organisations, there is a big difference

nobody is going to come up and accuse anyone on here of being a terrorist, this guy has been seen on countless videos celebrating the death of infedels and inciting others to join organisations whose sole purpose is to destroy our way of life, what more does this guy have to do for people to recognise him as a terrorist and supporter of terrorism

i think if you conducted a pole of people in the uk who want this guy out the country the overwhelming majority of them would want him out as did our government, but it seems we are all wrong and that the ECHR with its politcal correctness gone mad approach is correct

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 14:40

I think we have reached an impasse here.

We have the rule of the law for a reason.

This chap cannot be trusted. You cannot be trusted. I cannot be trusted. THe government cannot be trusted.

Which is why we have checks and balances. Sentencing someone to a trial based on evidence from torture is pointless. Its a charade. While we do indorse our own legal charades in local courts when they think the world isn't looking the principal is that the rule of law applies to all.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 14:51

Chine and Burma outlaw organisaions that seek to actively politically oppose their government, we do not do this, we outlaw terrorist organisations, there is a big difference

There is no difference at all - anybody can be called a terrorist, and that's the problem. If you don't think it's true then have a look at the language the US government uses to describe Anonymous; they're not religious fanatics, they're not putting any lives at risk, but they're skirting incredibly close to being openly called a terrorist organisation.

i think if you conducted a pole of people in the uk who want this guy out the country the overwhelming majority of them would want him out as did our government, but it seems we are all wrong and that the ECHR with its politcal correctness gone mad approach is correct

Oh, please, must we really scrape the bottom of the cliché barrel? The law is the law, it's what is written down. The whole point of it is that it doesn't bend to the will of the majority or the government.

Out of interest, how would you feel if the situation were the other way round - let's say a UK businessman, who had done a lot of work for charity, was facing trial for some criminal offence and the government was arguing that he shouldn't have to go to court because he was obviously a pretty nice guy. Would you feel that 'nice' people should be exempt from the law? Would a poll of public opinion change your mind?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 15:16

Can we send Simon Cowell, Cliff Richard and Ant and Dec to Guantanamo Bay? Please? Pretty please?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 15:22

we are not the US, we are the UK, nobody goes around calling people terrorists in this country for no reason, this guy has been rightly been labelled a terrorist and supporter of terrorism and frankly he is not even from this country so why should we be adopting his problems with other countries, where do you think he got the £170k from given that he is on benefits and what do you think he was going to do with it

and to compare my arguement of wanting this guy out the country to a businessman not being put on trial because he is thought of as nice guy by the public is a pretty vacuous comparison
Posted By: hoban81

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 15:38

I think it's time this country grew a pair, and stopped entertaining the pc brigade.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 15:42

we are not the US, we are the UK, nobody goes around calling people terrorists in this country for no reason, this guy has been rightly been labelled a terrorist

And we go round the circle again - if he has been rightly labelled a terrorist then were is the evidence he's a terrorist? Why isn't he being tried in a country that can provide legitimately and legally obtained evidence that he's a terrorist?

Given that it's well-proven that all torture does is get the person being tortured to say whatever they think will stop the torture it follows that evidence obtained from torture is no evidence at all. It further follows that if we're willing to accept evidence gained under torture, or deport to countries which will use such evidence then we've clearly undermined human rights, irrespective of how nasty we think the person in question is, or how far their values are misaligned with our own.

where do you think he got the £170k from given that he is on benefits and what do you think he was going to do with it

I don't know where the money came from, but if it can be shown that it was obtained illegally then he should stand trial for whichever offence netted him the money. Hell, even if it can be shown he didn't pay tax on it, or neglected to mention it on his benefit claim form then he should stand trial for those offences, what should not happen is that a presumption of guilt is made without evidence.

We may not be the US, but the principle still stands - once the criteria for being convicted as a terrorist is established as the government says you're a terrorist then, like it or not, and however unlikely you think it ever is to pass, you've paved the way for oppression.

and to compare my arguement of wanting this guy out the country to a businessman not being put on trial because he is thought of as nice guy by the public is a pretty vacuous comparison

Pretty vacuous in that it shows why ignoring the law in individual cases is stupid?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:01

the British court wanted this guy deported as in their words he is 'truly dangerous', you and the pc brigade in the ECHR however don't want this poor soul suffering any mistreatment abroad

do you put the human rights of an illegal immigrant who openly preaches hatred of our lifestyle and wishes death to loads of us, yet scrounges off us all and hides in our country, before the wishes of the British court system that wants to deport him

if you do that's pretty worrying quite frankly

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:10

The worry with my approach is that we'll end up with people living in this country who are openly hostile towards its population.

The worry with your approach is that we'll end up living in a country where the government is openly hostile to the people.

Given the choice I'll take my chances with the people who are so clearly dangerous terrorists that they can not be properly convicted of any crime, it seems.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:23

The worry with my approach is that we'll end up with people living in this country who are openly hostile towards its population.

The worry with your approach is that we'll end up living in a country where the government is openly hostile to the people.

Given the choice I'll take my chances with the people who are so clearly dangerous terrorists that they can not be properly convicted of any crime, it seems.

so by evicting a guy that comes to this country illegally and openly preaches hatred to us all and says he supports organisations that would aim to blow us up and destroy our way of life suddenly we arrive at a situation where the government is openly hostile to the people

thats a bit of a fictious leap i'm afraid and the government is not trying to deport British citizens abroad just a lunatic illegal immigrant, hardly hostility to the people

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:27

Also, while there's been a lot of tired old name-calling on this thread; "PC brigade", "wishy-washy liberals", "bleeding hearts", etc, I'd like to point out that, fundamentally, we all come from the same place.

I don't give a damn about this guy's human rights, I don't even give a damn about your human rights, all I care about are my human rights.

What makes us wishy-washy-bleading-heart-PC-brigade-liberals is that we see if we take away his human rights then that will pave the way for taking away your human rights, which will eventually lead to the loss of my human rights.

This isn't about being compassionate, or caring, or feeling that he's probably a poor, misunderstood soul who had a nasty childhood, it's about joining the dots and seeing the picture that they draw.

You should always remember that the ECHR was founded with the view that it should limit the power of governments, not because it's the politically correct thing to do, but because the people who founded it had seen the terrible, terrible things that governments could do when they were unrestrained.

You may think that we live in calm and stable times, but the people of the 20s and early 30s thought the same thing.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:29

so by evicting a guy that comes to this country illegally and openly preaches hatred to us all and says he supports organisations that would aim to blow us up and destroy our way of life suddenly we arrive at a situation where the government is openly hostile to the people

Not suddenly, just eventually.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:32

Might I suggest that the reason he isn't already behind bars is because he's allegedly a 'Preacher of hate', and we don't have the greatest of records for successfully proving that these sort of people are directly linked with terrorist activities.

Its the ones with the ready made bombs that tend to bear the brunt of things (in more ways than one).

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 16:52

thats a bit of a fictious leap i'm afraid and the government is not trying to deport British citizens abroad just a lunatic illegal immigrant, hardly hostility to the people

The state has to justify it's existence to the individual, not the other way around. Yet in the last 12 years we have seen a massive increase in legislation curtailing the rights of the individual, a massive leap in the amount of acts now criminalised and proposals for more and more. The threat of terrorism has been used as a catch all to justify many of these infringements yet there have been comparitievely few actual threats or incidents - and the government has continued to attack the fabric of our society, destroying the very freedoms which make our society what we value.

The government IS hostile to the people and HAS been complicit in the deportation/extradition of British ciitizens to foreign states where they have or will face severe penalty for actions real or imagined or for actions committed here which are not crimes here.

we are not the US, we are the UK, nobody goes around calling people terrorists in this country for no reason,

Who is and is not a terrorist is a fluid definition. The state of Israel was created by people who the British called terrorists, who shot and bombed British troops, and who were fought by the British with the aid of people now called the Palestinians. Yet now Britain courts Israel as an ally and calls the Palestinians terrorists.

More recently Britain sent men to Libya to be "prosecuted" ie, tortured by Ghadaffi , yet now those same men are courted as the new legitimate government who with British aid have overthrown the tyrant Ghadaffi.

And if you want to insist that those you feel have offensive views be prosecuted, deported and/or summarily executed, try doing so in a less offensive way lest you be hoist by your own petard.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 17:31

And if you want to insist that those you feel have offensive views be prosecuted, deported and/or summarily executed, try doing so in a less offensive way lest you be hoist by your own petard.

terribly sorry if find the way i express my views offensive, but frankly some of your responses to views i have expressed have been directly rude to me and the fact you choose to trawl through a thesaurus to dress up your responses and make you feel clever doesnt make your responses to me any less rude

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 18:06

First they came for the religious fanatics and I said nothing as I wasn't a religious fanatic.
Then they came for the asylum seekers and I said nothing as I wasn't an asylum seeker.
Then they came for the jobless and feckless and I said nothing because I wasn't jobless or feckless.
Then they announced that I was going to be paying only half the tax I have previously as there was a massive budget surplus and I threw a party.
Then I woke up and realised all these people had the human right to help themselves to over half of my hard earned wages each year.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 18:28

terribly sorry if find the way i express my views offensive, but frankly some of your responses to views i have expressed have been directly rude to me and the fact you choose to trawl through a thesaurus to dress up your responses and make you feel clever doesnt make your responses to me any less rude

For someone who is so pro "Britishness", your attitude towards those who correctly use the English language is more than puzzling. Trust me, I certainly have neither the time nor inclination, let alone the need, to "go trawling through a thesaurus" to respond to you. And whilst you have felt the need several times to resort to name calling and personal attacks, I wonder if you can refer me to my direct rudeness to you?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 18:50

So your desire to act without evidence and bypass all of our laws does not equate to a fundamental misunderstanding that the rule and protection of law must apply to everyone individually before it can be said to apply to us all collectively? Perhaps the prefix "funda" was superfluous.

Frankly, I consider the ill educated xenophobic rantings

is that enough for you

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 18:58

I wonder which part of the first you find rude, the second is a generalism but you seem to feel the shoe fits, so be it, and the third is simply descriptive of the manner in which you have responded towards posters whose views you don't happen to agree with. You have called people names and made the matter personal and seem to believe that those who support the rule of law support terrorism for some reason.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 19:02

oh another oh so clever insult, might a suggest that you get a large jar of vaseline which a guy like is bound to have lots of and go in to the garage and get a crowbar or some other similar instrument of leverage and use it to pull your head out your ass as it is clearly lodged firmly up there

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 19:05

Enough doug20vt, your behaviour is unacceptable.

Calm it down or the thread will be locked.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 19/01/2012 22:16

Is this still going?!

My two pence worth, but here goes laugh

There seems to be two issues which are getting muddled.

The first is whether he is guilty or not and the second of extradition.

People seem to be mixing the point up. He has not been extradited because the evidence that may be used against him is of dubious reliability and the ramification of a conviction are great.

Nobody is suggesting that he is a nice man or defending him, however if we can't be certain, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he would have a fair trial then the right thing to do is not send him. I don't believe it's much to do with human rights, more common decency.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 20/01/2012 11:07

You should always remember that the ECHR was founded with the view that it should limit the power of governments, not because it's the politically correct thing to do, but because the people who founded it had seen the terrible, terrible things that governments could do when they were unrestrained.

You may think that we live in calm and stable times, but the people of the 20s and early 30s thought the same thing.

Amen.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 20/01/2012 11:18

Exactly a nice summary.

We are all agreed that if he can be convicted using legally obtained evidence that is not obtained via torture. Then excellent convict him.

If we can deport him and be guaranteed that the evidence used against him will not be obtained by torture then excellent deport him.

If neither of those can be done. He is a free man. Until it can be proven that he has broken a law.

I find how things have been going in the last few years in this country truly alarming. The erosion of freedom by the Government is on a dangerous level imo. The ECHR has been one of the best things I have seen in recent years. As it stop the Government doing whatever the hell it fancies doing and keeps it accountable to some respect.

Let this thread not descend into name calling or personal attacks as I do not want to see it locked. Debate the points but do not attack each other as that is pointless. Doug you obviously feel strongly, so does Azzura. While my point of view sits with what Azzura is thinking, of course it doesn't make your voice or opinion any less valid. An open air of points is always useful.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 10/04/2012 11:52

Looks like Abu Hamza and his cohorts will be shipped out. That'll free up some much needed prison spaces!

Link to article.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... - 10/04/2012 12:24

Good riddence
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK