Fiat Coupe Club UK

Forum cycle ride

Posted By: Emjay

Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 15:27

Originally Posted By: DaveG
Originally Posted By: skinflint
With all these new road bikes on the forum I reckon we should have a Fiat Coupe bicycle jaunt at some point.

I did a 54 mile route that followed the Olympic road race route quite closely (only once up Boxhill, avoided A25, skipped section north of Richmond Park) but I would be keen to go up there again before all the speed bumps are put back, and also I'd like to go up Leith Hill, anyone up for an fccuk-organised ride on a weekend, rather than an externally organised one?

Picking up on the above, register interest/ideas on here.

DaveG, I took in Leith Hill (and Box Hill) early last Saturday. Stunning day for it. Would definitely be up for this.

NB I would suggest the point is doing it together as a group and taking in at least one pub on the way and perhaps ending up at one too!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 15:59

Interested.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 16:08

Interested, a bit far from Surrey though.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 17:17

Very interested ... but too far for me frown

A great place to cycle smile That area used to be one of my regular rides when I lived in Wimbledon. In fact, my Pinarello (15 years old now, but still going strong) comes from Dauphin Cycles at the top of Box Hill!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 18:40

I 'could' be up for that, about time I dusted off the old Rockhopper but would an unfit old bugger be up to it?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 19:04

I think we'd probably need to arrange several, each covering a different region, depending on interest?
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Forum cycle ride - 15/08/2012 23:40

I'd be up for an fccuk organised Surrey / Box Hill ride. I guess the bike would go across the back seats of the Coupe with the wheels off which would kill 2 birds etc.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 16/08/2012 17:12

We need a show us your ride thread.
click to enlarge

Re: Forum cycle ride - 16/08/2012 20:04

Originally Posted By: Kenno

Fnar, clothed or nekkid?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Forum cycle ride - 16/08/2012 20:11

click to enlarge

I already feel intimidated by someone who keeps their bike indoors on the carpet, or maybe it's never been ridden? wink laugh

Re: Forum cycle ride - 16/08/2012 20:20

He might live in a flat (or maisonette, like me) and doesn't have any outside storage.

Which sucks.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 16/08/2012 22:13

Definitely the latter Dave. laugh

Re: Forum cycle ride - 16/08/2012 23:52

How about this route then? http://www.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2218793.html I copied it from Cycling Plus magazine, summer special, and it's also on http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/surrey-sw, but I think mapometer is much better since you can Show Altitude (click on button bottom left, might need to refresh to get full distance profile), export as GPX etc.

The route is just over 45 miles and there are 6 climbs: up to Ranmore Common, Coldharbour Lane, Leith Hill, Barhatch Road, Whitedowns Lane, and finishing with just one circuit of Boxhill up Zig Zag Lane. Cycling Plus classify it as "hard" and reading the description of the ride, I'm not too sure I want to do it now!
Oh, and as for "show us your ride"...click to enlarge

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 05:47

Thanks Dave, I think!

It's a good route. Personally, I'd suggest omitting the A24 and turning heading off Lodgebottom Rd and Headley Lane (prettier and a fun descent)

It's just down the road from me, so if anyone wants to do that I'd be happy to join. But I wonder if it is worth doing something a bit less hard core?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 08:32

Eeek!

*Such* a shame I won't have my new bike... I'm a firm believer in the Dutch school of cycling - flat as you like, please!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 08:36

Barhatch lane is a killer. 21% incline and seemingly never ending. Makes box hill feel flat.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 08:48

Excellent, that's what I wanted to see, people in favour of a more moderate ride, phew!

Still featuring Boxhil right at the start (to get it over and done with), this route takes in a lot of the Olympic route but avoids the A25, and whilst the northern loop could be omitted, it includes Richmond park which is lovely to cycle through (although cycling through Kingstom is not so much fun, and the direct route down to Richmond bridge is one way - the wrong way)

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 08:55

That looks good. I like the idea that the start is somewhere that we can park/ set up.
Not knowing that stretch of London is it a quiet enough route or will be be dicing through traffic?
It might be good to do something like an earlyish Sunday morning so there are less cars???

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 09:15

The easier the better for me, my defibrillator isn't light smile

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 09:23

I'm up for that.

Another vote for early morning. Saturday (preference) or Sunday and setting off no later than 7am. It makes a big difference.

How about asking for a notional fiver or so from everyone to go to the teenage cancer trust?

I would also suggest setting a date sooner, whilst we have more daylight.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 10:45

7am? ooo I did it in July starting at 9:30am with 3 other people, one of whom had a mountain bike and struggled on hills (and the flats too, TBH) so we didn't finish until 4pm frown and averaged only 9mph for the 6 hours of cycling, but I did record a max speed via GPS of 136.9mph (somebody suggested that might be wrong?) I'd like to do it at least 50% faster this time (13.5mph average) or are you guys all 15-20mph average?
Posted By: bockers

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 11:59

I am interested in this. I am still overweight so constant hill climbing would not be my ideal and for those lighter but less fit it would also make for a tough ride.

There is however a very good ride I do on occasion around the box hill area. It starts in Cobham, which is easy to get to (just off the A3) and has plenty of parking.

The ride would be about 50 miles and goes over the downs twice. It does not go up Box hill for two reasons, it is crowded and once they put the speed bumps back on the road it is not much fun either. It does have the option 2/3rds of the way into the ride to add Leith Hill and the decision can be made at that point based on the weather and the group consensus. There is a patch of riding on the A25 for 4-5 miles but the road is wide and good.

I would work on a 15mph riding time plus 45 mins for a stop. So 4hrs total. Leaving at 8am should see a mid day finish in time for lunch smile

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 12:04

I'm with Dave. 7 o'what?!

Would prefer an 8am start. Cobham suits me. smile

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 12:46

click to enlarge

Ignore the bit from Chertsey to Cobham.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 12:52

Originally Posted By: bockers
Ignore the bit from Chertsey to Cobham.
Why? Surely we are all going to start (and more importantly finish) at your place! laugh

That looks like a nice ride, not too hilly and under 50 miles, hope I've mapped it right I don't know Cobham too well so started/finished at Sainsbury's. Also noticed that mapometer has no respect for one way streets (after Newlands Corner where we cross the A246) rolleyes

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 13:11

Ooh, Pebblehill! Nasty laugh (unless we're going clockwise)

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 13:35

We are going clockwise aren't we? I'm free next 2 weekends, also 9th, 15th and 29/30 Sept

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 13:59

Clockwise on this ride laugh

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 14:27

Can we do the saturday morning over the B/H weekend?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 14:40

Next Saturday 25th you mean? OK for me!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 14:45

And me

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 14:46

I am away from 23rd to the 30th, but don't let that stop you.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 15:16

I probably won't have my Triban 3 by then frown

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 15:28

No worries, just use what you have. I have a spare road bike if anyone needs one, it's not glamorous but it's seen me through plenty of miles.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 16:40

Well Emjay, Dave and I could do a reccie. Then post our findings?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 17/08/2012 19:33

Originally Posted By: DanielTheManual
I probably won't have my Triban 3 by then frown

For damn sure I won't have mine...

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 07:56

Well Emjay, Dave and I could do a reccie. Then post our findings?

Any room for one more on the reccie?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 08:56

Kenno, do you mean do a reccie ride on the 25th and then do it another day to give this growing army of fccuk Triban 3 riders time to get their bikes? I was thinking of doing it tomorrow!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 12:40

Tomorrow would be OK for me.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 16:11

Toying with idea of 8am start tomorrow from Sainsbury's car park...

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 16:23

I definitely can't do tomorrow morning, should be a lovely day for it though

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 20:00

Don't underestimate the crazy mtbers. I used to race the roadies and the mopeds.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 21:32

I have amended the course, quieter and a better route back to the start. The start is the downside public car park.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=449199

Re: Forum cycle ride - 18/08/2012 22:28

Does that mean you can come tomorrow? So far looks like me and skinflint?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 19/08/2012 20:05

I have amended the course, quieter and a better route back to the start. The start is the downside public car park.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=449199

Dave & I tried this one today with a small detour through Box Hill.
They are special roads and views round Surrey and plenty of other cyclists to steal a tow from. Most of the roads weren't busy and I think it was worth the effort to travel down and try out Surrey's roads.
The course felt relatively flat with a few hills. Something like 48 miles round trip. We started around 8:30 and were done around 12:30 with a stop or 2 along the way. Public car park was free on a Sunday or Pay and Display on other days.
Box Hill felt really special. Beautifully smooth tarmac and a Cafe/ Visitor's centre at the top.
Luckily Dave knows Surrey because I don't and wouldn't have been able to follow the course with the few IT oddments that I own.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 13:05

Here's the route as cycled: http://www.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2229469.html a bit longer at 47.77 miles which we did from start to finish in just over 4 hours, including stops. Not sure if the GPS was exactly right on our moving time, the bike computer recorded 14.8 mpg average but the wheel size setting was not quite right, I think 14.6 mph was more like it. Max speed was 44.3 mph down Pebble Hill.

Who's up for a repeat on the 25th?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 13:18

Me

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 14:28

Good! Rather than heading from Leatherhead to Headley then back towards Mickleham for Boxhill, it looks like the A24 dual carriageway south from Givons Grove has a bike path each side and would give a more direct route to take in Zig Zag hill. This bit of the A24 used to be 2 lanes each way with a road sign "Dangerous Bends" but is now only one lane southbound with the cycle route between the carriageways crazy

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 14:37

Dammn. I would have made this weeks ride if i had read the thread update in time. Will be in France next week but up for any other dry weekend laugh

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 15:06

Okay, I might be up for this!

But one odd but important question. Is Cobham in the low emission zone?

If it is I won't be able to join!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 15:15

Cobham is in leafy Surrey old chap, where the cows in the fields probably produce more emissions than the cars. The LE Zone covers only the old "Greater London" areas of Surrey: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17678.aspx

In others words you'll be OK in your gaz guzzling monster truck wink

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 15:23

Sadly not a gas guzzling truck, but an economical diesel van lol!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 19:22

Kenno, do you mean do a reccie ride on the 25th and then do it another day to give this growing army of fccuk Triban 3 riders time to get their bikes? I was thinking of doing it tomorrow!

Sorry Dave. Yes I did mean the 25th as I'm currently in France. I could've bought back some Triban's!!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 21:50

You'd be lucky, Kenno, I had a look at the Decathlon French website and they don't seem to have any either. Plus they cost more in France, bizarrely.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 20/08/2012 22:40

Dammn. I would have made this weeks ride if i had read the thread update in time.
Sorry John, I should have texted you, hopefully you can make another one, all of the routes/maps on my phone/PC are named "bockers" "bockers2" etc. so you just have to come...

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 16:11

So what time do I need to be where for this weekend's jolly?

Is this open to non-forum members of good character?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 17:26

Ah. Yes... You know how I initially proposed the 25th...

I'm waiting to hear back from someone about the purchase of my coupe. If they intend on arriving in the morning, I'll have to make my apologies. frown

But at least the coupe would be sold! smile

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 17:35

I could probably do Sunday 26th if that helps - for once I think I have no church commitments that morning.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 20:23

Originally Posted By: Emjay
So what time do I need to be where for this weekend's jolly?
For you it's 7 am, for everyone else 8 am. The Downside car park is free on Sunday. As you come into Cobham from A3 go past BMW garage on right and turn right at next roundabout, then turn right opposite Waitrose and take first left into the car park.

Is this open to non-forum members of good character?
Well if you're allowed in then we might as well let everyone in rolleyes

Not sure if I will get the required weekend pass for this yet, but Sunday's weather is looking a bit better than Saturday's

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 21:04

Sunday does help. I have a family BBQ in the afternoon, but i'm sure we'll be back by then.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 21:10

@ DaveG - something to hang on your handlebars wink
click to enlarge

Re: Forum cycle ride - 21/08/2012 22:05

Huh? Can only see gobbledegook?

Edit - OK I can see it now, ha ha laugh

Re: Forum cycle ride - 23/08/2012 10:52

I won't be able to do Saturday now as forgot I am spraying my van on Friday night. I could probably do sunday though.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 23/08/2012 12:29

Well then if it's Sunday it looks like it could be

elder81
Emjay + other(s)
Kenno
DaveG (maybe)

Any more takers? If we aim for 8am start, should be back by 12 noon (depending on water/loo/tea/coffee/beer breaks)

Re: Forum cycle ride - 23/08/2012 15:14

If it rains, I'll be on the training bike.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/08/2012 19:16

We still on chaps?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/08/2012 19:44

Weather looks like it is going to be good.

I'll be there. Car park on Hollyhedge Road to leave at 8am. I don't have any electric-trickery to help with the route, though.

By the way the speedhumps are back on Boxhill - full road width rolleyes

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/08/2012 20:06

Righty o. i'll see you there. Will Pm you my phone number.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/08/2012 20:11

My bike hasn't arrived yet, but I'll likely be in the area flying. If you stick your nose in at Warren Barn Farm at Woldingham, mine's the yellow, red, and white wing. With a tiger on it.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/08/2012 22:24

I don't have any electric-trickery to help with the route, though.

Don't worry, I will bring a paper map in my handbag wink

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/08/2012 12:59

Lovely day. Sunny with a gentle breeze and not too much traffic.

Looking forward to the next one.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/08/2012 14:58

Looking forward to the next one.

I hoped you'd say that. What route did you follow today?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/08/2012 18:23

Bugget, completely forgot about this.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/08/2012 18:55

Not too much traffic? Took me two hours to come sixty miles round the M25, courtesy that crash on the M3 and everyone trying to get around the closure...

Got some flying in but I didn't see any of the FCCUK peleton!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/08/2012 20:52

Same route as last week.

Barnacle, it was more of a tandem than a peloton! Just me and DaveG this occasion. Unfortunately kenno was served with a last minute injunction against ever wearing lycra shorts.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 10:30

I made the route slightly shorter by heading straight from Leatherhead down to the foot of Boxhill via the A24 which turned out to be OK to cycle along (except when I ignored Emjay's advice to take to the footpath near the end and shook all my fillings loose cycling over the painted chevrons at the side of the road) Apart from that the ride was more traffic free than last Sunday and far fewer cyclists around too. It was 46 miles and we averaged a pretty good 15.0 mph even though Emjay left me for dead on a few of the hills, it's quite a fast run down from Newlands corner to the end. I think I've now got my bike computer and GPS to pretty much agree, although hills should always mean that the computer should read slightly more.

So, who's up for the next one?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 10:52

I am up for the next one, back in the Uk of Friday, although i may suffer from shock at the temp back in blighty.
click to enlarge It's quite warm here in St Remy de Provence in the shade smile

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 11:26

Here's the latest route, name in honour of our leader-in-exile: http://www.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2251875.html

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 12:29

You guys must be pretty fit. I did 18 miles yesterday round hilly Medway and only managed an average speed of 12.5mph!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 14:40

Anita has done this route http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2252513.html three times in three weeks after not cycling for a year and has increased her average speed from 15kph to 17kph today... she's getting there.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 19:02

So, who's up for the next one?

I'd love to do it again, but I don't think I will be able to come next week. The following week I could do the Saturday (8th).

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 21:40

Unfortunately kenno was served with a last minute injunction against ever wearing lycra shorts.

Oi! I look alright in a pair of assos bibs thanks. tongue

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/08/2012 21:45

Just like a bag of frozen brussel sprouts!

Hope you managed to get some shut-eye Ken.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 28/08/2012 11:49

Thanks. I did in the end. It served as a stark reminder of things to come.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 28/08/2012 21:37

If anyone is planning on doing this, just to say that I definitely can't do the Sunday but Saturday should be fine.

Both days look like the weather is going to be fine.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 04/09/2012 16:05

Come on then you guys, you can't *all* be waiting for Tribans surely? I was away last weekend and Saturday 8th is no good for me (flying back overnight) but maybe Sunday 9th or following Saturday 15th?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Forum cycle ride - 04/09/2012 16:22

Bit far for me wink

Re: Forum cycle ride - 04/09/2012 20:34

I think Saturday the 15th may be OK for me.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 07/09/2012 11:29

I'm the opposite of MrG. I can't do this Sunday 9th or next Saturday 15th.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 13/09/2012 15:14

I'm not sure if I can do this Sunday, but is anyone else planning on going?

Or how about an abridged version for Saturday [or I join for part as I will need to be back for 10.30]

Re: Forum cycle ride - 13/09/2012 16:04

An abridged Saturday would suit me too.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 13/09/2012 16:31

AGM this Saturday...

Re: Forum cycle ride - 14/09/2012 12:54

Also the tour of Britain runs through these roads on Sunday so best avoid this weekend as there will be set up of barriers etc.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 14:57

Right then. How about a final ride to close the fccuk group ride cycle season? Sunday 30th September 8am start from the same Downside car park in Cobham, Surrey.

Bockers and all fccuk Triban owners are expected to be there!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 15:50

I can actually do this Sunday. So put me down.

I am conscious that it may be a bit far for some and it would be great to have a big turn-out, so I suggest that for those who want to join us but do a shorter trip, park at Rykers cafe at the bottom of Box Hill (free parking). NB this is near the 15km marker on the map, then join us all the way round to Abinger Hamer, then head back along the A25/A24 to Box Hill. That's about 40km.

With that in mind, how about actually starting at Box Hill? Then people can join at the beginning and decide if they want to see it through the whole circuit. (It also gives me a chance to leave the car at home)

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 16:14

Just back from a ride from Inverness to Edinburgh in yesterday's weather - I did it as part of a team and did the second half (87 miles). Averaged 19.3mph and hit 57.2 mph

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 16:19

I'd like to join but might have to knock off a little early - perhaps around 11:30 am.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 16:20

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
hit 57.2 mph
Did you jump out of a plane or something?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 16:27

I'd be happy to be along (my triban 3 has done approximately one FCR distance in total so far!) but - hear me weep - I'm off on a flying holiday on the 29th.

(Apropos of cycling - is 50 minutes for 20km over country roads with upsandowns a reasonable rate for a middle-aged-man-in-lycra?)

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 16:39

hit 57.2 mph

Nearly - ride down from Glenshee ski centre
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 17:26

hit 57.2 mph

Nearly - ride down from Glenshee ski centre

The old military road?

One of my favourite places to test the boiling point of my cars brake fluid. box

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 17:36

Originally Posted By: jimbob13

The old military road?

One of my favourite places to test the boiling point of my cars brake fluid. box

That's the one. Got shimmy which caught my attention!
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Forum cycle ride - 26/09/2012 17:44

I'll bet it did. laugh

I've never cycled it yet (i keep promising myself i will), but i did cook the brakes on both my old Fiesta and Cavalier.

Although, not quite as badly as the time the same Fiesta's clutch started slipping coming down over the cairn o' mount, forcing me to ride the brakes alot more than i would've liked to. I had to park in the ford at the bottom for half an hour to let the water flow through the discs. blush

I may get Mrs Jimbob to drop me off up that way and cycle home, would be a good run. smile

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 08:24

Originally Posted By: barnacle
I'd be happy to be along (my triban 3 has done approximately one FCR distance in total so far!) but - hear me weep - I'm off on a flying holiday on the 29th.

I can take your place on the flying holiday if that helps biglaugh

Quote:
(Apropos of cycling - is 50 minutes for 20km over country roads with upsandowns a reasonable rate for a middle-aged-man-in-lycra?)

That is about a 15 mph average which is a good start if you've done 40 or 50 miles.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 08:26

Originally Posted By: jimbob13

The old military road?

That's the one. Got shimmy which caught my attention!

I guess that's one way to get properly scared without paying for a parachute drop or bungee jump.

I was pleased with my 45.5 mph maximum. The bar has been well and truly raised.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 09:05

A 40km route from Boxhill starting at 8 would finish by 10, I could even get my 13 year old son to come along, he has a footy match at 11:30 but that might work out great for us. So, just the old regulars then?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 09:08

We could set the start outside Bockers' house maybe? I have some newish horns on the Coupe that I'd love to try out properly.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 09:19

Skinflint - if you can manage a paraglider...

I've only done fifty miles or so on the Triban - I've got about twenty thousand on the Outpost GT, but I've done nothing serious in the last five years.

Highest speed on the Triban is 65kph - a tad over 40mph according to google. I like km; you get so many more of them!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 09:29

I have a club ride on Sunday morning, but seeing as this is the last in the season for FCCUK rides I will see if i can make it.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 09:36

Skinflint - if you can manage a paraglider...

How hard can it be? suicide

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 10:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjh85tSGHQ

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 21:00

I have a club ride on Sunday morning, but seeing as this is the last in the season for FCCUK rides I will see if i can make it.

Nice one. We just need to decide a start point now. I'm happy with whatever you all decide.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 27/09/2012 21:12

Hmmm.. I can imagine the trip home. laugh

click to enlarge

Re: Forum cycle ride - 29/09/2012 11:22

Sorry guys I will have to pull out, been nursing a cough/cold all week and excessive A/C out in the Middle East has killed me off. Hope you break the attendance record!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 29/09/2012 18:31

Sorry you're not well Dave.
I hope you feel better soon.
It must be nice to be back home in the cool sunshine.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 29/09/2012 21:09

Sorry, won't be out. Played 1st hockey game of the season and can now barely walk or get off the sofa. Would struggle on a flat ride let alone the downs frown

Re: Forum cycle ride - 29/09/2012 21:19

OK.
I think we should try for another week when everyone's fit & well.
I hope you all recover soon!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 29/09/2012 21:37

Shame. No worries. Hopefully next time.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 30/09/2012 22:06

I've not been on a bike for over a month now (apart from an exercise bike in a gym) so need to get a bit of training in, but I did cycle through the winter last year, so I'm still up for another ride, I shouldn't have said "final" after all there is no such thing as "final"...

I should be able to make most weekends, as long as I get permission to miss the odd footy match of either of my sons, however I think Sunday morning is better in terms of the roads being quieter, and a shorter ride that can be done in 2 hours or so will certainly suit me OK, and depending how we go, we can always make it longer.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 03/10/2012 17:38

I can't do this Sunday, unless it allows me to get back for 10am

Saturday is better - and looks to be a nice day.

So my plan is Saturday, starting from home getting me to Rykers for an 8am start for anyone else wanting to join me from there.

Am I going to be on my tod? I've not been on a bike for anything over a couple of miles for several weeks and need to stop the rot.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 05/10/2012 14:37

I'm thinking about doing this with my 13 year old son, but we might take longerr (2½ hours?) to do the 30 mile shorter route but we could go via Leith Hill for a shorter/steeper route!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 05/10/2012 14:53

Not a problem. Happy to go with whatever suits and I'll be glad of the company.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 05/10/2012 16:47

Oh pants, double booked, I can't do a morning ride, how about in the afternoon instead?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 05/10/2012 17:35

That should be fine. I think you have my number, I'll PM it.

I'll still be up for the morning if anyone else is interested.

Bezzer? Kenno? Bockers?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 08/10/2012 09:47

Mark and I had a more leisurely ride on Saturday afternoon, with my son in tow (althouhgh he left me behind at the start going up Box Hill) and we did just over 30 miles at almost bang on 12.5 mph average.

Not sure how easy it's going to be to get anyone else out on an fccuk ride before spring next year, it's been almost impossible so far!

Safe cycling everyone!

Re: Forum cycle ride - 08/10/2012 10:32

October is a tough month for me to get out as I play Hockey on Saturdays and there is 3 birthdays and one wedding anniversary to accomodate, which normally means a meal on the staurday or sunday.

How about an FCCUK xmas ride? Involves 30-40mile ride which finishes at a btreakfast stop where we have a full english laugh I organise one starting and Finishing in Maidenhead. Mayeb teh 22nd or 23rd December.

We could start iand Finish at the Tanhouse in Rusper?
http://www.tanhousefarmshop.co.uk/
Or Cobham as there are a few Breakfast cafes too.

The important thing being the breakfast comes at the end of the ride, cycling on a full stomach is not pleasant.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 08/10/2012 10:47

Sounds a plan bockers. keep us posted.

It was a very pleasant ride on Saturday. Lovely day for it and good to meet G junior - who seems a really nice lad. (Dave I was really struggling the last few miles home, so I'm very glad we went at a measured pace - think I'd have been in all sorts of trouble otherwise)

Re: Forum cycle ride - 09/10/2012 20:02

Did a bit of training today :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

Re: Forum cycle ride - 09/10/2012 20:24

Did a bit of training today :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

Awesome smile

Recognised a fair bit of Bristol in that too.

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/02/2013 13:34

Any interest in restarting these?

Re: Forum cycle ride - 25/02/2013 15:58

Perhaps when I'm back from Brasil next month?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK