Fiat Coupe Club UK

"New iPhone" launch

Posted By: Anonymous

"New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 06:07

With the "new iPhone" launch happening today i thought i'd dive in here and start a discussion thread for it. Starting with this blog on the BBC:

Apple playing it safe

Hopefully this should then keep the 'discussion' in this single thread.

I am genuinely interested to see what the new iPhone will look like and do, but like the author of the blog, i'm not expecting a whole lot. If i can borrow a line from Tron Legacy:

"what improvements have been made...?"

"this year we put a "12" on the box."

Personally i think next year will be the first year for some time when most people I know looking for a new phone wont simply walk out and buy the latest iPhone.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 06:47

I smell Bingo...
Posted By: Brewster

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 07:06

I'm still using my iPhone 4 and 18 months on its been very reliable and does everything I need. The only bitch about it is the necessity of iTunes, the most prolific virus in the world. Nevertheless, I shall be treating myself to a 5 next month, stocks allowing.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 07:28

My wife has the Galaxy 3 and the camera puts my dedicated camera to shame, I simply don't know how they get such quality from such a small apperture frown

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 07:49

I don't really care if the Iphone 5 is not that much better than the 4, I'll still be getting one. I hate android phones as the wife has one and I could never get on with it.
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 07:55

I had a 3GS, but moved to a Galaxy S2 based purely on the fact it was pretty well half the monthly cost.

It would have to be something pretty spectacular to make m go back to Apple if the relative cost stays the same.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 08:11

Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve

It would have to be something pretty spectacular to make m go back to Apple if the relative cost stays the same.

I wouldnt get your hopes up then, so far current speculation is that it has:

Larger screen to keep up with the Samsungs.
Finger print scanner on the menu button, (ala the Mototrola Atrix)
A new settings menu
A new dock, so devices that use the old style may need an adaptor (waiting to be confirmed).

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 08:40

I had a 3GS, but moved to a Galaxy S2 based purely on the fact it was pretty well half the monthly cost.

+1

I'm due for an upgrade, but I'm going to stick with my Galaxy S (it hasn't stopped doing what it did last week...) and cut the cost of my contract from £30 to £10.
Ironically, Apple have stuffed smartphones for me with the ipad.
Posted By: bockers

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 09:44

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
I simply don't know how they get such quality from such a small apperture frown

Anyone else snigger at this, I laughed out loud in my office blush
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 09:50

Ironically, given Brewster's reply, I think the iPhone is like the 911 - they're frightened of messing with a winning formula - as dull as that might be.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 10:03

Originally Posted By: bockers

Yes me too, but of course the smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field/focus.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 10:23

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
Ironically, given Brewster's reply, I think the iPhone is like the 911 - they're frightened of messing with a winning formula - as dull as that might be.

And they have an accountant running the company. This was the same strategy that Sainsburys used in the 80s that dropped it from top supermarket to a stuggling number 3. When i jouned Sainsburys in 2002 head office did not have email crazy

Apple have a history of this too. After the Mac they went all profit, linking with IBM and the dreadful PowerPC and got rid of Jobs (who went on to form NeXT and Pixar) and Jobs came back to a company on it's knees and shoock it up with the iMac.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 11:27

Yup - I don't think they are innovating fast enough - they need some disruptive technology or do something others are doing but much better - currently they are being caught and overtaken by the competition
Posted By: barnacle

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 11:29

Too busy in court over patents?
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 12:27

There is some interesting "reporting" in that link. Pity.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 12:48

To be fair he states it as his viewpoint and not reporting as such, in a similar vein to his sartarical blog. There is plenty of evidence that Apple are concentrating more time and money on exploitation of their current wares and patents than they did when they were in a more inovative phase. Doubtless the iPhone 5 is old news within Apple and hopefully they are working on the 6 and 7.

Nicrosoft did the same with Windows Vista and previously with Windows ME, they just churned out another Windows version with little inovation and expected the public to cough up the dosh. There becomes a point though where public lose interest and the cash cow starts to die.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 13:15

Yes, indeed he does but several statements to back his viewpoint are either erroneous or misleading. It seems more like a rant rather than any insightful assessment.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 13:20

Well it's never a good idea to let an element of truth ruin a good story laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 13:23

Too true wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 13:27

Anyway as others say I don't expect any great revelation but then have any other manufacturers provided one recently? I can't think on any specific game changing phones - not that I follow that closely as I keep my phones longer than many.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 13:28

Originally Posted By: Hyperlink
...several statements to back his viewpoint are either erroneous or misleading.

Could you elaborate? I agree it's not exactly a piece of neutral reporting, but for those of us not in the Apple inner sanctum (?!), it's frustrating just to be told "That's rubbish" without specifics.
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 13:45

Well I'm not an Apple fanboy (even if I do have an iPhone and a company iPad), but two things that jumped out at me in that article are:

1. Comparing the R&D spend of multiple companies in terms of percentage of revenue isn't a fair basis for comparison.

2. Similarly comparing the iPhone's market share to that of every Android phone combined isn't fair, especially not without contextual data about the changing size and composition of the market.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 14:28

There becomes a point though where public lose interest....

Several years and generations of phone ago for a lot of people.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 14:48

Anyway as others say I don't expect any great revelation but then have any other manufacturers provided one recently? I can't think on any specific game changing phones - not that I follow that closely as I keep my phones longer than many.

The Nokia Pureview had potential as it is a true compact camaera replacement, unfortunately they stick Symbian on it which has long since past it's best, so the smart phone features suffer. Nokia had potential with Maemo and Meego but Microsoft and Elop have snaffled that cry

The game changers are some of the apps, Strava for example, has changed the way i ride my bike and re-vitalised our group rides. IMHO smart phones are reaching their design limits. The screen can't get much clearer, they don't need to get much faster and they do far more than you ever need. Now if only the battery would last longer than a day!

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 14:52

Now if only the battery would last longer than a day!

Biggest problem imo.....

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 15:27

What has the world come to when so many people are getting a boner about a fancy phone? I mean, take a step back and analyse this.

We have become quite a materialistic nation; not that I myself am completely innocent of it.
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 15:43

Nothing like a good post from Dan Lyons.

Originally Posted By: AndrewR

1. Comparing the R&D spend of multiple companies in terms of percentage of revenue isn't a fair basis for comparison.

2. Similarly comparing the iPhone's market share to that of every Android phone combined isn't fair, especially not without contextual data about the changing size and composition of the market.

Don't let facts get in the way of a man trying to say something controversial.

Dan has one job. Attract hits. Nothing attracts more hits than an anti Apple technology page or one trotting out the new favourite line that Apple is boring and must change this or that or this or that or this or that. Obviously Apple doesn't know what they are doing.

A phone running Android is pretty much anything from a device given away for free to an actual competitive device such as the latest and greatest Android XYZ. It doesn't even have to have a touch screen to be counted in the Android numbers. Great wheeze that Dan.

And they have an accountant running the company. This was the same strategy that Sainsburys used in the 80s that dropped it from top supermarket to a stuggling number 3. When i jouned Sainsburys in 2002 head office did not have email crazy

Apple have a history of this too. After the Mac they went all profit, linking with IBM and the dreadful PowerPC and got rid of Jobs (who went on to form NeXT and Pixar) and Jobs came back to a company on it's knees and shoock it up with the iMac.

That doesn't really fit here though John. The use of the PowerPC (primarily Motorola until the later and final IBM 970 chip onwards) This was a decision based on previous judgements made by SJ way before the 90's.

There was nothing per say wrong with the PowerPC arm, Motorola and IBM's lack of development and focus on other things let the momentum dry up.

TC is categorised as an accountant but that is not strictly true, nor are the claims of lessening R&D etc. The figures of actual Apple R&D are there to be found if you look and paint the exact opposite picture in terms of investment.

A lot of RD and innovation goes into making certain products. The phone's cellular capability and antenna is the product of extreme RD.

But this is all boring information that doesn't get links or attention from the mass public.

Battery life is one of the biggest area's of competition in the mobile market Steve. It will stay that way for a long time. Hence the constant recycle while energy efficiency is factored into every and I mean every single piece of mobile devices, down to the spacings in the fan blades on portable machines currently.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:12

Originally Posted By: Sedicivalvole
Battery life is one of the biggest area's of competition in the mobile market

I'd argue that point.

Surely the biggest area of competition is persuading the punter to by the newer[tm] and better[tm] version six months down the line?
Posted By: charlie_croker

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:14

Well if the rumours are right, there might just be a "one more thing" moment. It might just concern music. Though Bluetooth 4 and a wristwatch that connects is also doing rounds.

The fingerprint scanner is thought not to be coming.
The display will probably be 4 inches.
The new iCloud on iOS6 is pretty damn good. Ties in very well with Mountain Lion and for those of us with other iOS devices.
Siri is much improved on iOS6. I now use it all the time.
Rumours about a better Sony sensor for camera.

I decided to invest in 2 Nexus 7 Tablets for the kids, thinking that they were cost effective. Bought them Friday evening and took them back (by popular demand) on Tuesday. What a pile of !!!!! the Kids and even the wife hated them, said iPads are better and I would have to agree. Cheap though. So iPad Mini's it is then!

For me what makes the iPhone so good isn't the specs or the camera etc etc.
It's the integration with other devices.

I can play a game on my TV via iPhone/iPad and AppleTV.

I can write a document on my Mac and know it will be there on my iPhone/iPad.

I can watch TV on it via EYETV, and record a program that will be on later.

I can set a Geo based reminder on my Mac and the iPhone will remind me to get milk when I call into the convenience store.

If I take a photo on iPhone, it will be on my Mac and iPad, Hell I can even take a photo on my camera and transfer it to my iPhone via my Eye-Fi SD Card and it will be on my Mac without any wires or anything.

The iPhone backs up all it's information to the Cloud every time I plug it into it's charger.

Oh and I can't remember who mentioned iTunes, but that was the bad old days, these days you don't need it. All is done via the iCloud. Although there will allegedly be a new smaller/lighter/faster iTunes 11 announced today.

So for me, the iPhone 5 will be interesting.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:17

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/last-minute-apple-rumors-iphone-5-lightning-new-ipod-touches/ Latest news and rumours...
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:34

We went with cloud technology on our work based intranet systems. If anyone thinks windoze is frustrating just wait until you have to rely on the cloud zzz

If you loose your connection the terminal is just a dumb client, you can't even save your work. It's nice to be able to upload content to the cloud but to rely on the cloud for a unit to work is not good, this is where they seem to be taking cloud technology.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:36

Originally Posted By: barnacle
Battery life is one of the biggest area's of competition in the mobile market

I'd argue that point.

Surely the biggest area of competition is persuading the punter to by the newer[tm] and better[tm] version six months down the line?

But that is part and parcel Neil. Product X has Y battery life, vs Product A which has B battery life.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:36

Originally Posted By: Barmybob
We went with cloud technology on our work based intranet systems. If anyone thinks windoze is frustrating just wait until you have to rely on the cloud zzz

If you loose your connection the terminal is just a dumb client, you can't even save your work. It's nice to be able to upload content to the cloud but to rely on the cloud for a unit to work is not good, this is where they seem to be taking cloud technology.

There is no local cache put in place!!??

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:38

I applaud the time to write the post Charlie.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:39

Originally Posted By: Barmybob

iCloud doesn't work like that Bob, it's a way of keeping devices:
1. In Sync
2. Backed up.
3. Allows you to find your device (if lost/stolen).

http://www.apple.com/icloud/ explains how it works.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:40

I applaud the time to write the post Charlie.

I used the dictation feature in Mountain Lion smile

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_use_dictation_mountain_lion

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:47

IMHO smart phones are reaching their design limits. The screen can't get much clearer, they don't need to get much faster and they do far more than you ever need. Now if only the battery would last longer than a day!

I would agree with that - it much like digital cameras. I suspect that is why apple have slowed down their investment. The returns aren't great enough and they have the finances to snap up small innovative companies with cool new tech ideas. I suspect they are also concentrating on other new products like the new TV.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:48

Originally Posted By: Brewster
I'm still using my iPhone 4 and 18 months on its been very reliable and does everything I need. The only bitch about it is the necessity of iTunes, the most prolific virus in the world. Nevertheless, I shall be treating myself to a 5 next month, stocks allowing.

You'll be please to know a new iTunes is coming - completely rewritten so hopefully it will be a great improvement.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 16:57

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
...several statements to back his viewpoint are either erroneous or misleading.

Could you elaborate? I agree it's not exactly a piece of neutral reporting, but for those of us not in the Apple inner sanctum (?!), it's frustrating just to be told "That's rubbish" without specifics.

Sure Jim

His comment about iPhone hardware not changing is wrong, his % figures for R&D are wrong (and as Andrew suggested not the whole picture), he cant make up his mind if he want Apple to follow the market trends or not and he make a number of assumptions based on....well seemingly nothing.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 17:03

I think a point often missed is also ongoing apple support for its products including the iPhone.

Can't think of many mobile phone manufacturers that will release an OS upgrade which is supported on phones 3 generation back. OK there are limitations but hey its a 3 year old phone.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 17:04

Apple have a relatively small amount of products:

1. iMac
2. Macbook Pro
3. AppleTV
4. iPad
5. iPhone
6. iPod Touch
7. iPod Nano
8. Apple Timecapsule
9. Airport
10. Airport Express
11. Trackpad
12. Mouse
13. Mac Pro
14. Mac Mini
15 Macbook Air
16. iPod Classic
17. iPod Shuffle

So they do not need a huge R&D budget. And the author is being disingenuous when he states "a paltry 2% of revenues, versus 14% for Google and Microsoft?" Check out the actual figures for yourself. Clue Apple's income was much bigger than either of the above.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 17:38

You'll be please to know a new iTunes is coming - completely rewritten so hopefully it will be a great improvement.

Well it can't get worse on Windows.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 17:49

Originally Posted By: DaveG

Yes me too, but of course the smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field/focus.

LOL innocent and perhaps ignorant comment from me, but hey the photos are ravishing

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 17:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kaVzt-_zajE#!

iPhone 5 booting into iOS6 wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 18:19

Images will soon start to filter to tech blogs of the new device now it is out of NDA.

Someone with more time will post them here

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 18:44

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/apple-iphone-5-liveblog/

Looking good so far.
Camera looks promising. f2.4, 8MP, Sapphire glass lens and new low light capability, (Dynamic mode gives equivalent of 2 f stops faster allegedly)
Battery life improved over 4S
Screen as rumoured 4 inches
Real Racing 3 looked amazing
A6 Chips 2x CPU and 2xGPU faster than 4S.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 18:46

New dock connector as expected.

So far the major changes (screen / 4G / CPU / dock connector) have been reported previously.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 19:07

This is what I got from ijailbreak twitter feeds:

entirely made of glass and aluminium
18% thinner than iphone 4s
20% lighter than iphon 4s
4inch display
1136x640 res
New wifi and has 4G LTE
A6 Processor
8mp camera - backside illuminated, hybrid IT filter
1080p video face detection
facectime camera is hd
ios6
same price as iphone4s

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 19:07

Just for fun: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/12/iphone_five_reasons/
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 20:34

Surely the biggest thing that apple had in terms of user retention was that they all bought hardware that used the same connection. Now every dock, charger and cable needs changing...i see that as a massive own goal.
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 21:01

Well despite it not being a breakthrough in terms of technology or features I'm still totally sold. I sort of wish I wasn't.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 21:04

Surely the biggest thing that apple had in terms of user retention was that they all bought hardware that used the same connection. Now every dock, charger and cable needs changing...i see that as a massive own goal.

No more of an own goal than when I changed from SCSI to USB, to Firewire to E-SATA to Thunderbolt!
The dock connector was originally designed for the iPod, it had too many connectors, (it was originally FW400 and only charged on fw), then became USB, was adapted to lots of different needs and progress is progress.
They are releasing two adapters to enable the old cables to fit the new phones/iPods.
That's progress. I am more annoyed by the price increase in UK.
I always purchase my iPhone outright and swap my SIM, it normally costs me £495 which I then offset by selling my old iPhone for around the £360-400 mark. But despite Tim Cook saying the price remains the same it's now £529
Posted By: Roadking

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 21:12

Even my boss, who is a total fanboy, took time from his diatribe on why my life is incomplete and will be until I embrace Apple, to make a similar comment.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 22:56

No it is a good thing.

30 Pin connection has survived from 2003 in many fashions. Pins moved and protocols altered.

Now in 2012 it is a hinderence and needs to be modernised. Too much space is taken up by it and a further re-design for higher bandwidth was required.

Good job Apple for moving forward and not sticking with the connection because loads of people have it. Push forward. Lightning is far superior and being rotation independent is just the icing on the cake.

If you have a particular accessory you can adapt the connection permanently through an adapter. 9 years is a long time.

This comes from someone with more xyz to 30 Pin connector cables than I can shake a stick at. Just because its comfortable doesn't mean it isn't time to move on. My opinion but I'd rather the design didn't suffer due to legacy components.

I like the innovation chip side and the work they have been doing to open up the frequencies on voice calls so that people sounds more like people. Good news that its a UK carrier who has been working with them to implement it.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 23:42

For anyone interested

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/#video

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/
Posted By: Theresa

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 12/09/2012 23:54

Nick, bring me an iPhone 5 to keep or someone to change my 3GS battery over, to the AGM and I'll believe everything you say, forever laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 06:45

I like the innovation chip side and the work they have been doing to open up the frequencies on voice calls so that people sounds more like people. Good news that its a UK carrier who has been working with them to implement it.

Can you point me at a reference, Nick? As I understand the GSM phone system they'd have to maintain compatibility with the rest of the world and use the low-bitrate CELP coding; could it be that they're negotiating a different standard for apple-apple calls? (To be honest, the speech audio is probably the easiest bit of a phone these days... the coders are well defined and standardised and it's down to the mic and speaker on the phone itself; the physical acoustics of it all.)

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 07:09

As i started this thread with a 'viewpoint' article, here's the flipside :

iPhone still innovating

From my perspective, I'm very confused by the new connector . It isnt USB 3 or Thunderbolt, it's still USB 2 (which was introduced 11 years ago), offers no performance increase over the old connector, and yet they call it "LIGHTNING!!!!!!" rolleyes

Otherwise all as expected, except that the new camera is below the spec of recent rivals, no NFC, and no wireless charging. But i'm not that fussed about NFC or wireless charging. if you have a wireless charging 'pad' you still need to have it plugged into the wall somewhere, so i'm not yet sold on that but i'm happy that others are innovating into this area as it's the only way that the technology will improve (and potentially all devices will end up charging when set on a desk, kitchen top, dashboard etc)

As for the NFC...i can definatly see it's uses, not least in the 5 items or less queue at a supermarket. But again, at the moment it's still a little under developed for me, but i look forward to using it in the future.

Also, honest enquiry, can someone point me to benchmarks for the new chip. So far i've seen it banded around that it's twice as fast as the 4G but the only source is the launch speech.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 08:36

Sack the Chief Engineer...

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/12/a...ng-vodafone-o2/

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 08:56

hmmmm Each to their own but for me (and i even have an (albeit old) iphone) Apple are all about gloss and style with little substance and too over priced.

Yesterday I picked up a new LG Prada 3 for under £150 for the wife to replace her aging sanfrancisco

dual core, 1gb ram, 8gb storage with sd slot, 8mp rear camera with flash and 1.3mp facing camera for skype. Basically it is everything an iphone 4S is but with larger screen and far lower price.

You get so much more for your money if you stay away from the "cool" apple branding imo.

I am thinking I my roll the dice and try something new next phone, possibly the lumia 820 windows 8. Them too however i worry are going to be over priced.

and as for their charging connector........ The fact that they refuse to use micro usb like every other smart phone just sums them up imo. Because I am stuck on iphone at the moment (not my choice at the time) every where i go with the wife i have to take 2 lots of chargers with me. PITA

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 09:18

Love the price of the port adapters, a mere snip at £25 shocked

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 09:24

This thread got me thinking about what actually would be a game-changing step forward. Battery life is obviously one thing, but I can't see that getting anyone too excited.
The problem seems to be reconciling screen size with pocket size. Everyone wants big, bright, clear touchscreens, but the point at which you can't get the thing in your pocket or worry you're going to snap it is where you move into the realm of tablets.

I've droned on often enough about wanting a small, basic phone to complement an ipad, so maybe this wristwatch idea might work, which - as I understand it - gives you a bluetooth-connected satellite to your main phone. That would be quite a good one.
Also, is there any mileage in some sort of projector technology (a bit energy hungry, I suppose) enabling the device to use any flat surface as a screen, freeing it from the restrictions of its own dimensions.

Being honest, is anyone actually excited about this new iphone? It really doesn't take things much further, does it?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 09:32

Being honest, is anyone actually excited about this new iphone? It really doesn't take things much further, does it?

I think Sedicivalvole has had to take a long nap after the presentation wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 09:33

Also, is there any mileage in some sort of projector technology (a bit energy hungry, I suppose) enabling the device to use any flat surface as a screen, freeing it from the restrictions of its own dimensions.

Apple wouldn't be interested in that as they wouldn't be able to patent it, too much 'Prior art' laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 09:56

Originally Posted By: Theresa
Nick, bring me an iPhone 5 to keep or someone to change my 3GS battery over, to the AGM and I'll believe everything you say, forever laugh

You didn't give me enough time to for latter laugh

All devices are still restricted from being used in public until Friday in the UK.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 10:25

Can you point me at a reference, Nick? As I understand the GSM phone system they'd have to maintain compatibility with the rest of the world and use the low-bitrate CELP coding; could it be that they're negotiating a different standard for apple-apple calls? (To be honest, the speech audio is probably the easiest bit of a phone these days... the coders are well defined and standardised and it's down to the mic and speaker on the phone itself; the physical acoustics of it all.)

The combination of GSM, CDMA and LTE into one chip is a nice touch rather than the multiple touches.

They haven't as far as I know released a white paper on it yet, though I may be wrong. The gist of it was given the 3 microphones on the new device they are able to pick up a wider frequency and want to exploit this given that nearly all data is in the mid tones.

It was EE they were working with, I have not seen a public release of this information confused It was in the brief notes and was announced but nothing else seems to be around. Its likely lost in the other information as nobody except us is really interested in this info at the moment.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 10:46

Originally Posted By: Truffle

Finally a sensible technology piece.

Originally Posted By: Article

at tech pundits to judge products not on some misplaced urge for "wow factor", but on how they feel to use.

I for one am not even close to being sold on NFC so am very glad they haven't gone with it.

I think wireless charging is a bit of a fad at the moment, it will come good but its not a mainstream product yet in my opinion. The need for a dedicated surface etc. People would of been screaming if the device had that included, while I would wager only a point of a percentage would ever of used it.

Not enough public info on the new connector has been made available yet. This will follow though.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 10:56

Pardon the pun. I think you are comparing Apple's to Oranges here Mike. The Prada is a cheaper phone made for price considerations over everything else.

I really want the new Nokia's to work. I hope they do, for the market places sake.

I think your perception of over priced is the problem Mike, these devices are priced based on the R&D, technology, software and expertise that go into them. Devices like this cost a lot of money. Be it the iPhone, Lumia etc. Otherwise you are looking more towards the price based devices such as LG etc where specs are flashed but components are cheap and budget is primary.

The BOM for a device is far more than most people think.

Originally Posted By: Big_Mike

and as for their charging connector........ The fact that they refuse to use micro usb like every other smart phone just sums them up imo. Because I am stuck on iphone at the moment (not my choice at the time) every where i go with the wife i have to take 2 lots of chargers with me. PITA

It does for me as well. But in a different manor. Why settle for something so so so inferior such as Micro USB because 'everyone else has standardised on the cheap port' might as well of stuck with a 30 pin connector or FireWire (thats not a good example as that port rocks) Micro USB doesn't offer any of the features Apple want.

Its fine if you plan to hardly utilise the port and only use it for charging and some rudimentary other features, so if you are Mr X like HTC/LG/etc etc making a phone then great. Cheap and easy.

However it is not up to what Apple want to use it for and it is not capable of supporting what has already been delivered through the 30 pin connector so it is really pretty much impossible unless you want to remove pre existing features and cripple the device.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:02

Of *course* micro USB doesn't offer anything Apple wants - it looks like a standard connector and people would expect standard connectivity and then they'd want to climb out of the walled garden and *then* where would they be?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:06

Yes John very funny smile

Its a good point Jim, battery life and technology is key for me. Which is something that is being strived for again and again. Either with modernisation's to the internal hardware, such as the A6 using less power to achieve the same results as well as the update in battery technology.

I don't think it is as easy to get excited by new phones as it once was Jim. Apple pushed things forward with the iPhone jolting the industry. Part of the reason it was such a large jolt was that all companies were complacent happily taking your money for little innovation. The iPhone would of been a step above the rest regardless, but it was such a step because of how complacent everybody was.

Its not so easy to be complacent now, all manufacturers have to follow suit. Even if they don't actually innovate and just copy what Apple and Nokia are doing (Nokia being pretty much the only other company to actually be innovating and thinking for themselves) It means the curve off innovation slows down while the next big advances are worked on. Its pretty predictable what will be the next big things to come, its if they can be made into a reality.

Meanwhile along with pushing the technology further, lightening it. Reducing energy consumption and improving it. Apple are focussing on quality of the product. Going further than they need to in making a device which is more akin to a fine watch than a phone.

The link earlier for the video is worth a watch to understand their aim. Some useful bits of insight in it.

I'm interested in the new camera, someone said it was a spec disappointment? The new lens coating is interesting, waiting for some third party distraction tests.

As a persons phone is now in most cases the most used item they have, I know what I want to be using. A well built, precision device constructed out of glass and aluminium rather than a standard plastic phone. Each to their own though.

Nobody has even mentioned the software yet!

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:10

Of *course* micro USB doesn't offer anything Apple wants - it looks like a standard connector and people would expect standard connectivity and then they'd want to climb out of the walled garden and *then* where would they be?

Very tongue in cheek. But you know the limit of Micro USB.

Can it deliver 1080P video and sound, while also delivering the multitude of other signalling protocols.From the technical spec it seems impossible to me. I don't want my devices crippled by the lowest common denominator I can't imagine you do either?

Its a proprietary connector as was the 30 pin before it. As nobody made anything good enough a decade ago Apple had to invent something, they are there again. If someone made something good enough I am sure they would use it rather than have to build their own one.

The cost of an adapter is not impressive. It doesn't bother me as I don't have to buy them. But it would bother me if I did.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:19

Originally Posted By: Article

at tech pundits to judge products not on some misplaced urge for "wow factor", but on how they feel to use.

It read to me like an article that somehow managed to combine smugness with defensiveness; patting Apple on the back for being so great (again), yet trying to justify why there was no "wow" factor (how childish, why on earth would a company as great as Apple want anything as tacky as "wow factor"?).

Now that's innovation...

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:24

The cost of an adapter is not impressive. It doesn't bother me as I don't have to buy them. But it would bother me if I did.

Imagine being the owner of a hotel and having to buy 400 adaptors, one of each of the iphone enabled, clock radios you have in your rooms. shocked

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:29

Can it deliver 1080P video and sound, while also delivering the multitude of other signalling protocols.From the technical spec it seems impossible to me. I don't want my devices crippled by the lowest common denominator I can't imagine you do either?

Why would I want it to? It's supposed to be a phone! I want it to make phone calls. That's it.

The argument against a common power supply connector doesn't suggest that one should shove video through it, surely? Though it's perhaps worth pointing out that the entire UK broadcast spectrum delivers only about a hundred megabits a second, including HD which is broadcast at under 8Mb/s - this is not a problem for a 480Mb/s serial channel. If you're speaking of delivering full bandwidth - 3Gb/s or so - then that's a different kettle of fish. That's what HDMI and its friends are for.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:32

I will need 3 adaptors, one for each car, and one for my ipod dock. I will wait for the 3rd parties to release them as I don't fancy parting with £75 to be able to use a new iphone where the old one just plugged in. I'd potentially need a 4th for my PC, so I don't have to shuffle the one supplied from the charger in the wall to my PC each time I wanted to update it.

In my Coupe I will have to have this set up:

iphone cable from head unit -> adaptor to charge iphone -> 30 pin adaptor.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:34

No, just the opposite side of the scales from the previous article. Add them together and divide by 2 and we might have a neutral article.

I have an iPhone 4 and I can honestly say that I've never, ever found the performance of it to be an issue. Where was the pressure coming from to make the chip faster for the 4S and the 5? Why was increased performance put ahead of sorting out the woeful battery life?

Likewise the need for higher and higher screen resolutions - who is seriously getting upset about the definition of screen the size of a bloody Swan Vesta box?

To me this smacks of technology for the sake of technology, not being innovative or even listening to the user community.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 11:49

The adaptor thing is a bit of an old story: cassettes to CDs, video cassettes to DVD, analogue tv/radio to digital, light bulbs, unleaded fuel etc etc. at some point there needs to be a change. I have to say that Apple should generally be applauded for remaining broadly constant for so long. Compare simple charging devices for other mobile manufacturers - they have been through 3 or 4 iterations in the same period of time. If you're stuck just buy one adaptor for each phone. I can't imagine hotels worrying about it until the 5 is the dominant product and then they'll have upgraded their equipment anyway. Price of progress.
Posted By: Ed

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 12:05

Why would I want it to? It's supposed to be a phone! I want it to make phone calls. That's it.

The argument against a common power supply connector doesn't suggest that one should shove video through it, surely? Though it's perhaps worth pointing out that the entire UK broadcast spectrum delivers only about a hundred megabits a second, including HD which is broadcast at under 8Mb/s - this is not a problem for a 480Mb/s serial channel. If you're speaking of delivering full bandwidth - 3Gb/s or so - then that's a different kettle of fish. That's what HDMI and its friends are for.

It seems that an MHL port has passed everyone by then. (Probably because it looks the same as a micro usb, is fully backwards compatible for charging and standard data transfer and no-one made a swanky video presentation about it when it was introduced!)

You do have to buy a MHL compatible cable (about £10) but when you do, it becomes a sort of HDMI port on steroids, that can handle 1080p at 60 fps with 192 mhz 7.1 surround sound, provides upto 5v 500mA to any connected device if necessary, or simultaneous charging from a powered host device.

When can I get a phone with one of these magic ports on I hear you cry (well ok maybe not), chances are you may already have one, as high end Samsung's since the Galaxy SII and high end HTC's since the Evo 3D have got one.

Which just goes to show, it's not always about what you do, it's how you tell people about it...
Posted By: Ed

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 12:07

And why have they put the headphone port on the bottom, you have to put the phone upside-down in your pocket and can't plug headphones in if your dock doesn't have a headphone adaptor???

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 12:39

I found a video of Sedi :

Apple Fanatic

laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 13:09

laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 13:19

Is there any spell-check or grammar check software on I-Phonies? Sedici could use some help there laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 13:24

Part 2 here:

Apple video

0:13 i'm sure is a direct sedi quote tongue

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 17:43

Judging by the amount it's being discussed here and no doubt over vast portions of the internet, Apple have already succeeded.

Their product placement annoys me, their logo popping up in any Hollywood film with a computer in the scene.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 18:25

Then a classic Nokia 8210 is for you. No need for a smartphone of any type. By that logic one port for everything or just things you want?

I agree MRS nearly a decade of a constant port. However they could of eased the transition through the price a little more...

No, just the opposite side of the scales from the previous article. Add them together and divide by 2 and we might have a neutral article.

I have an iPhone 4 and I can honestly say that I've never, ever found the performance of it to be an issue. Where was the pressure coming from to make the chip faster for the 4S and the 5? Why was increased performance put ahead of sorting out the woeful battery life?

Likewise the need for higher and higher screen resolutions - who is seriously getting upset about the definition of screen the size of a bloody Swan Vesta box?

To me this smacks of technology for the sake of technology, not being innovative or even listening to the user community.

My comment was meant with sarcasm. Neither are neutral but the later is a lot closer to the centre and puts a few things into perspective.

The update on chips can present power savings in themselves over the older generation Andrew. As for the advance, primarily in this case for Applications and game uses. Not for me personally mind but the device is now more than capable to play console quality games on.

Ed I prefer it at the bottom and have been hoping for this, that seems to be the general public preference and feedback. I didn't really consider the possibility of needing to dock it, detach the dock and connect the cable? Do you use it in a dock?

As opposed to someone else's logo? Dan? If other people made good looking machines you may see more of them I suppose.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 18:33

Originally Posted By: proccy
Is there any spell-check or grammar check software on I-Phonies? Sedici could use some help there laugh

?

Part 2 here:

Apple video

0:13 i'm sure is a direct sedi quote tongue

Seen, read an listened to them all.

Closed vs Open doesn't equate to a simple sandbox of Open Source vs Proprietary nor Fragmentation vs Integration.

Older than the Fiat Acronym.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 13/09/2012 21:44

Originally Posted By: Ed
It seems that an MHL port has passed everyone by then.......

You do have to buy a MHL compatible cable (about £10)

When can I get a phone with one of these magic ports on I hear you cry

Not everyone...

I have that port on the N8 and it came with a free HDMI adaptor too. It is a fantastic port allowing you to play full HD content, either made on the internal HD camera, or downloaded, to any HDMI equiped display screen.

A colleague has a media player hard drive that he often uses to bring films to work, he was blown away when I plugged in my phone and played HD movies from it.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 11:27

As I sat down in the pub with my pint, I put my Nokia 3310 on the table in front of me. My mate immediately burst out laughing and put his iPhone next to mine. I gave it a disdainful look.

"Why don't you get a better phone, mate?" he asked.

"I don't need one." I replied. "My phone does everything that I need and it's better than yours."

He burst out laughing again. "Better than mine?" he roared. "Mine has 3G, Wi-Fi, the iMessage service, a best-in-class browser, five megapixel camera, access to the App Store for virtually unlimited customisation plus a built-in iPod for all my music. If yours is better than mine, I'll give you my phone."

"I don't want your phone." I said, "Mine's the best, why would I want a second-best, second-hand phone? I tell you what, though, if I can prove that mine is better than yours, how about you give me the cash equivalent of your phone?"

"You're on!" he crowed. "Show me something with your phone and I'll show you how mine is better."

Casually, I knocked my phone off the table.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 11:44

Aren't most of the benefits in IOS6, which will run on the iPhone 4 anyway? I have one which work supplied me with, so I'll upgrade my IOS. All the benefits for zero cost smile

My mate is after an iPhone at some point to replace his old Blackberry. I told him to wait until the 5 is out, and buy a 4 off ebay from the sheep that MUST HAVE THE NEWEST IPHONE AT ALL COSTS!!
Posted By: Emjay

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 12:10

Big_Muzzie - I'd have then challenged him to try and smuggle the respective phone into a prison.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 12:12

So *that's* why they have rounded corners?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 16:32

I saw and held an iPhone 5 today, forget the specs, it's beautiful and so light. They have cracked it by making the screen taller, it works so well, the S3 is too big, the iPhone 5 is pocket sized and can be held in one hand. A friend is a developer, for a major software entertainment company and he has had it since it was announced.

I have put my order in for a Black one. I hope no one else buys one, I really do, because before the iPhone, mobiles were horrible and plastic and crap, like the Alfa Romeo 8C, the iPhone 5 is a work of art. Wait until you see one in the flesh, feel how light it is and how the screen is gorgeous. I want it to remain exclusive.

So keep your Androids and your Blackberries or Nokias, me I will be using something that looks amazing and works, with no malware and tightly integrates with my Macs.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 16:43

Well it comes as a shock to me that you would like the iPhone 5, C_C wink I look forward to the iPhone 5-and-a-bit/6 discussion sometime next year.

Although I'm not sure I agree with this:

Originally Posted By: charlie_croker
horrible and plastic and crap, like the Alfa Romeo 8C,
smile

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 16:45

I meant to say, Horrible and Crap. Like the 8C the iPhone5 is a work of art wink
This explains it far more lucidly that I can http://www.businessinsider.com/gene-munster-on-iphone-5-2012-9
A Rolex in a sea of Timex... Yep!

I am fed up with the change of connectors though, read this for more http://i.imgur.com/U3Jjw.jpg

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 16:47

So the battery is important? It would be nice to be able to change it if it starts to fail. Much like you can with the Samsung smile

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 17:00

Originally Posted By: Roadking
So the battery is important? It would be nice to be able to change it if it starts to fail. Much like you can with the Samsung smile

You might have to change the battery with a Samsung, but I have never felt the need with any of my iPhones, and my now rather ancient 3GS is still going strong with my youngest daughter. So thats hardly a problem.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 18:18

I put my order in for one today. Three prices are the best at the moment, and the carphone warehouse gave me a decent discount to beat the Three price.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 18:56

It's a phone - get over it rolleyes

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 20:31

I do love how people level that comment at anything they don't care about or see as pointless as if it some how ends the arguement.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 21:33

Yawn

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 21:58

Further to my other post, I didn't want to commit to a 2 year contract for the 5 plus the cost of the phone as couldn't see why it would actually be better for me so...have bought a used 32gb 4S and a reasonable 12 month sim free contract

No clue how to use the thing, but they are meant to be easy rolleyes

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 22:34

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...-landmines.html

Well that should come in handy wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 22:41

I'm so very tempted to buy one outright and chuck my sim in it, cut down (again) though and move to giffgaff once my contract ends. I just can't be arsed to be tied down for 2 years at a time if I can afford something I like.
Looking forward to seeing the iOS update first though.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 22:50

If anyone wants the ios6 update then please inbox me, the Gold Master has been released.

BTW it is not piracy or illegal to distribute this now. http://www.zdnet.com/heres-whats-new-in-the-ios-6-gm-seed-7000004244/
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/12/ios-6-gm-released-ahead-of-september-19th-release-date/

As an apple developer, I have access to the download files ios6 works very well indeed, the Gold Master (GM) is the finished release candidate, but we can download it early just to make sure our apps work with it. so if you don't want to wait until September 19th, then inbox me.

BTW Panorama (camera) mode works on the 4S, Siri much improved and Maps is worth download on its own.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 23:11

Originally Posted By: Micah
I'm so very tempted to buy one outright and chuck my sim in it, cut down (again) though and move to giffgaff once my contract ends. I just can't be arsed to be tied down for 2 years at a time if I can afford something I like.
Looking forward to seeing the iOS update first though.

I always buy mine outright as they come unlocked.
Have you tried 3? I pay £15 a month for "All I can eat data"( I am averaging 3GB month, no sign of bandwidth being throttled) , 3000 texts and 300 minutes of voice calls.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 23:23

If anyone wants the ios6 update then please inbox me, the Gold Master has been released.

BTW it is not piracy or illegal to distribute this now. http://www.zdnet.com/heres-whats-new-in-the-ios-6-gm-seed-7000004244/
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/12/ios-6-gm-released-ahead-of-september-19th-release-date/

As an apple developer, I have access to the download files ios6 works very well indeed, the Gold Master (GM) is the finished release candidate, but we can download it early just to make sure our apps work with it. so if you don't want to wait until September 19th, then inbox me.

BTW Panorama (camera) mode works on the 4S, Siri much improved and Maps is worth download on its own.

Does it fix all the other problems, like network dropping, 3G dropping, etc? Generally not being fit to be used as an actual phone?
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 23:26

My iphone 4 has never had a single problem. Best phone I've ever had by a long way.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 14/09/2012 23:37

Originally Posted By: Theresa

Does it fix all the other problems, like network dropping, 3G dropping, etc? Generally not being fit to be used as an actual phone?

well as I have never had any of those problems with any of my iPhones, I cant promise, though my HTC and Blackberry have both suffered but I thought that was a Vodafone issue. (Over last 3 years, work have supplied me with 2x android and 1xBlackberry, all on Vodafone)

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 09:21

Saw this today:

Originally Posted By: Frankie Boyle's Twitter feed
Bug in iPhone 5 - predictive text controlled by the soul of the Chinese worker who committed suicide while making it. How very help me I'm in hell.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 10:46

Take an Iphone 4 on the street and tell people it's an Iphone 5 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 11:56

Here are links to the iOS6 Gold Masters iOS6

They have only gone and blocked a competitors OS, I think they hate innovation. Stopping innovation using threats

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 13:13

Or ...

Apple threaten Polish Deli

I think they fear rashes of bacon.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 14:27

Can anyone recommend which Network I should get this on?

I'm currently on Tescomobile and haven't had a problem in the 2 years I've been with them, but they're not taking pre-orders yet and say that they won't be until the 21st (when it'll be released).

Three's prices seem to be the best but I'm worried about coverage. I remember when they first came on the scene there were reports about their customers not getting good reception and their 'all you can eat data' will be pretty pointless if I can't access it.

Anyone got any personal experience of them?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 14:35

One of the main selling points of the 5 is its now 4G. However in the UK the only network which supports 4G is Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile/Orange). And living in Portsmouth you wont get it for another year. (although just to annoy you the scummers get it for xmas this year) laugh

In many ways spending all that money for a '5' and then NOT going with EE, seems kind of pointless. Its like buying a Ferrari and then putting a speed limiting device on it to stop it from going over 40mph.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 15:26

So unless I go with T-Mobile or Orange I won't be getting 4G at all (even in the cities where it'll be rolled out)?

I did know that 4G wasn't coming to Pompey for a while but to be honest the speed of the internet connection (whilst nice) isn't a huge selling point for me. When I'm in Southsea I'm normally connected to WI-FI and if I'm at work in Petersfield (or any of the surrounding villages) where they've only recently discovered electricity.

What I do need to make sure of is that the coverage for phone calls is good as I use my phone constantly for work. A friend has a 4S on Vodafone and constantly moans about the quality of the reception.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 16:26

Tesco Mobile is a "virtual network" basically they use O2's network.

I have found that:

O2 great coverage but lots of smart phones so in busy areas reasonably slow download speeds.
Vodafone poor coverage, if you can get a good 3G signal, then great speeds but a big IF you can get a good 3G signal.
3. Good signal, good download speeds, good prices.

But thats me living and working in London/Essex areas

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 16:30

One of the main selling points of the 5 is its now 4G. However in the UK the only network which supports 4G is Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile/Orange). And living in Portsmouth you wont get it for another year. (although just to annoy you the scummers get it for xmas this year) laugh

In many ways spending all that money for a '5' and then NOT going with EE, seems kind of pointless. Its like buying a Ferrari and then putting a speed limiting device on it to stop it from going over 40mph.

I think if you have a 4G/LTE device of any nature it might make sense to move to EE. To start with there will be very little network contention, meaning that speeds will feel even faster. I will certainly be trying an EE sim in my new iPhone5 just to test 4G, then will get a PAC code and port across if prices are value for money.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 16:57

I think if you have a 4G/LTE device of any nature it might make sense to move to EE. To start with there will be very little network contention, meaning that speeds will feel even faster. I will certainly be trying an EE sim in my new iPhone5 just to test 4G, then will get a PAC code and port across if prices are value for money.

So am I right in thinking I won't have access to 4G at all if I go with Three?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 17:50

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/mar/28/4g-broadband-uk-how-fast is worth a read

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 19:30

Saw this today:

Bug in iPhone 5 - predictive text controlled by the soul of the Chinese worker who committed suicide while making it. How very help me I'm in hell.

Lucky they don't work for Samsung then.

This would be Apple who audit their own suppliers and have an INDEPENDENT third party and fair trade routinely investigate suppliers.

Abuses go on by Chinese companies. Apple are the last company that should be being held to task. They are the ONLY company seeking outside help to verify changes and actually auditing their suppliers. But it's fashionable to attack Apple.

Check the recent discoveries against Samsung. Glad they have... Er done nothing about it.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 19:31

I think 4G is still a fad. It will be for a good few years yet. Then it will become usable.

Until then it's really not that important or useful in the UK.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 15/09/2012 20:36

The fact is that only EE can offer 4G in the UK for the next year, and then 3 will be able to offer it aswell.

The bands that will be on sale next year arent supported by the iPhone 5 so the other networks STILL wont be able to run 4G on the iPhone 5 ever.

Add to this that now that the bands which are going on sale are now known, all future 4G devices will be designed to support them, we could see the iPhone 5 consigned to history as the only 4G device in which the 4G isnt really usable in the UK except on EE or 3.

There are 2 alternatives which are being discussed however. The first is that OfCom changes which bands go on sale next year, or that EE licence the use of the their network out to the other operators.

4G definatly isnt a 'fad'. That would be like calling broadband a fad. It'll just be interesting to see what happens when the sale happens next year though. In the meantime, EE customers get to play with all the fancy toys.
Posted By: enfant_teribl

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 00:03

Saw this today:

This would be Apple who audit their own suppliers and have an INDEPENDENT third party and fair trade routinely investigate suppliers.

Abuses go on by Chinese companies. Apple are the last company that should be being held to task. They are the ONLY company seeking outside help to verify changes and actually auditing their suppliers. But it's fashionable to attack Apple.

Check the recent discoveries against Samsung. Glad they have... Er done nothing about it.

So true. All the news stories centred on Apple because they were the biggest and the easiest target, but it is a common story in China. Just about anything you buy that's made there (i.e. everything!) is made in similar circumstances. I had to edit a report for the ILO in the UN on this problem in the textiles industry in 2004 - same story then.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 01:06

Fad is probably better changed to marketing hype currently. It's not especially useful in the UK but it being market by all tech/telco's as companies as the top feature. It will obviously come good, but it's not there yet.

Scrutiny and continual auditing does appear to help as does media attention, but where it's actually due and on companies than need to be held to task.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 01:20

4G is not a fad at all just look at south Korea for example who have the quickest dsl connections in the world.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 09:48

4G is definitely not a fad, or marketing hype. It's central to the operators' plans.

Data use is growing at 5x to 10x a year in the UK ... and the operators will all admit (on the quiet) that their networks are creaking now. In a couple more years time, if nothing is done, they'll have real problems.

The only solution is to get more spectrum and to use more spectrally efficient technologies. LTE is 4x to 8x more efficient (bits per sec per Hz) than current technology implementations.

Hence, once the networks are live, you'll see quite a lot of effort from the operators to shift high data users to LTE (which may only be a few percent of subs, but which will move a lot of demand, easing up the issues on the 3G networks).

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 12:48

Saw this today:

This would be Apple who audit their own suppliers and <SNIP>

Does it not worry you how completely Apple own your soul, when you can't even bear to see a joke made about them?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 16:26

From what I have read, 4G will not be a fad at all. I remember reading similar about 3G when it was new, (EDGE would be sufficient or so some said!).

In respect of iphone5, the Ofcom auctions for the other parts of the spectrum are not due until Spring 2013 and even 3 (network) cannot start 4G until September 2013 (Part of the dealt when it bought part of EE's 1800MHZz spectrum).

So we are talking about 12 months until the 800MHz and 2.6GHz that O2/Vodafone etc will bid for are likely to be operational.

EE has promised 98% outdoor coverage for 4G by 2014. Vodafone told the BBC that by 2015 it aimed to offer 98% indoor coverage... (Note "Outdoor" and "Aimed")

The situation with EE, is similar to the near monopoly that O2 had when the iPhone first launched and was only available on O2. This time round iPhone5 will be on every network but only 4G on EE.

So every 4G Smartphone is currently in the same boat. (Either on EE with 4G or on the other networks with HSDPA/3G)

4G should be available on all UK Networks, just in time for the launch of iPhone5S though. Alternatively, apple may revise the radio chipset of the iPhone5S, (they have done similar in US for the different networks with iPhone4).

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 16/09/2012 23:34

You all seem to be missing my intended point which given the numbers of people missing it means that I am not articulating it particularly well.

4G is obviously central and essential to mobile network connectivity as standards from CDMA through to GSM align. However the point I am attempting to illustrate is that it is not yet particularly useful in the UK. As has been pointed out by numerous people only TMobile and Orange currently have use of '4G' in very limited area's. The others may or may not depending on Offcom have '4G' in the near future that is usable with this model of iPhone.

People appear to be prioritising the presence of 4G on the device when in all likelyhood they will either have no network coverage in a 4G area for the majority of the devices use or their carrier currently cannot support it. By the time this changes I would say the next iPhone/Droid/Lumia will be out with its successor rolling through the door not long after.

Until then 4G is being bandied around in a manor which makes it appear as if it is highly useful and desirable today.

Hopefully the clarifies the point I was driving at.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 14:28

Do you think I'll be able to pick up an iPhone 5 at the airport on Friday? It would have to be unlocked though evil

I believe this is wishful thinking! laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 15:49

Micah, you might be able to, I am hoping mine arrives on Thursday (apple's stuff often gets couriered a day early).... Can't wait

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 20:14

Apparently apple has pushed back the shipping date on all pre-orders. I've only read a headline though so I don't know by how much or who is affected.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 20:38

Telegraph

Three still reckon I'm getting mine on Friday. Fingers crossed I don't get an email between now and then.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 21:10

The Guardian indicate that it's those who wanted the unlocked version may suffer, although it claims UK suppliers are facing restricted supplies.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 21:30

4g is going to be a threat to all fixed based residential operators. when its available via dongle.

PSTN is slowly becoming unused. So a 4g dongle connected into a usb port vs a fixed circuit with wiring and possible fault % higher.

It will be a telecoms battle lol

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 21:32

There's nothing in it for phone shops selling the handset only anyway, may as well chuck a juicy 24 month weight around the consumer's neck!

Strangely enough, Orange sent out their EE email tonight so I look forward to seeing what I can get, and when. As well as 4G, they'll be offering fibre broadband which is dead handy considering BT have just informed me that I can now get Infinity. I'm out of contract at the end of December so I hope there are some deals to be had. Exciting times!

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 17/09/2012 22:25

EE claim you can sign up with either Orange or T-Mobile and then 'easily switch' to EE when available.

I'd be interested to find out just how easy it'll be as the small print at the foot of their website has a 'charges may apply' disclaimer.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 18/09/2012 06:49

I signed up to T mobile and was told that when 4G is available in my area I'd be offered it, which would mean changing tariffs and getting a new sim card. The chap said it'd either cost more per month or the same but offer less minutes texts and data. I'd imagine it'd be the former.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 18/09/2012 17:10

Oh yes, I'm sure there will indeed be a premium for this service. I notice they are only offering it on pay monthly too, so that scuppers my plans for a cheaper line rental next year. So long giffgaff, it's been a pleasant pipe dream...

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 09:10

The reviews are starting to arrive from people who have used the iPhone 5.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/techno...eview.html?_r=0

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 10:03

To summarise... fawn fawn fawn...it has a bigger screen, is a bit thinner... fawn fawn fawn..err we can't think of much to say... fawn fawn fawn... oh yes its a bit faster... AND has a glass caremera lens cover. Ooops, just made a mess, must go change blush

A bit less fawning, then some fawning, it has a bigger screen, it is thinner, in fact very thin indeed. Must not forget it's faster, oh yes the guy abovge did not mention the panoramic camera feature.

Doubtless it's a good phone but it is not the biggest event Apple have hosted and I have yet to find any of my iPhone buddies willing to make the change.
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 17:55

Here's a good comparison table for anybody thinking of getting an iPhone 5 on contract

http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone-5/1679132-iphone-5-uk-price-comparison-table.html

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 18:28

When you add it up like that (minimum of £875 over 2 years) seems like a lot for a phone. might jst settle for a mid range Android for £15/mth. frown

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 18:59

Originally Posted By: enfant_teribl
When you add it up like that (minimum of £875 over 2 years) seems like a lot for an phone Internet browser with some phone-call making capabilities.

Typo corrected for you.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 20:06

I really like the Windows Phone OS and OS8 looks great too, but it looks like i wont be upgrading to another HTC next year when my contract runs out. The new ones they've launched today look hideous! Like dodgy Nokia knockoffs.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 19/09/2012 21:45

Yup, they look like toys.
Posted By: Salmaan

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 12:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM&feature=share
Rather funny video on the new Apple release

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 13:02

How odd; this makes it sound as though the application wasn't thoroughly tested before being released. Surely that can't be true?
Posted By: adder58

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 13:34

I think apple could be in a James Bond movie as the new Spectre !! Had a no kids weekend away last week, 2 other couples. So 6 of us in the lodge, there were 9 Apple products, 6 Iphones and 3 ipods!!! They are going to brain wash us all wink

And it seems record orders for the new one Can I have some more please

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 14:11

How odd; this makes it sound as though the application wasn't thoroughly tested before being released. Surely that can't be true?

Can't wait for the apple fans' response to this...

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 16:20

Obviously the anti-Apple brigade have been moving entire neighbourhoods to make the Apple app look bad wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 16:31

I occasionally use Google Maps, so if they've removed it and replaced it with crap then it looks like I won't be installing iOS6 until Google Maps is available from the app store.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 16:36

I must say, I'm now reluctant to install iOS6 until Google Maps is available as an app, even though you can still use it through Safari...

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 21:31

I use maps all the time with my job. I've literally *just* downloaded iOS6 and the first play with the new maps seems ok to be honest.

One thing that always irritated me about the Google-based map app before was that if you utilised the compass feature (to see which direction you were facing within the map) it would revert back to North-orientation as soon as you touched the screen again.

What's annoying me most is that something is missing from my home screen and I can't figure out what it is. Passbook (which I can't see that I'm ever going to have a use for) is now on my home screen but I can't figure out what it's replaced.

Whatever it was seems to have disappeared completely.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 21:57

Just done a bit of searching and it's the YouTube app (which has been on the iPhone from day one). There's a YouTube app available in the app store so that's no huge issue I guess.

Anyone know what Transit is on Google maps? Apparently Apple maps don't have it but I'm not sure whether or not I should be concerned.

The loss of street view is annoying though, I use it a fair bit for work.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 22:07

Can you still get a Youtube app? I was worried you couldn't anymore - our 3 yr old goes straight for it on the iPad!

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 22:18

Youtube still works it's just via Safari rather than a dedicated app.

Go to London (for example) on the maps, then click the little icon at botton left of screen (looks like blocks/buildings), then take a flight over the city smile

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 22:24

To summarise... fawn fawn fawn...it has a bigger screen, is a bit thinner... fawn fawn fawn..err we can't think of much to say... fawn fawn fawn... oh yes its a bit faster... AND has a glass caremera lens cover. Ooops, just made a mess, must go change blush

A bit less fawning, then some fawning, it has a bigger screen, it is thinner, in fact very thin indeed. Must not forget it's faster, oh yes the guy abovge did not mention the panoramic camera feature.

Doubtless it's a good phone but it is not the biggest event Apple have hosted and I have yet to find any of my iPhone buddies willing to make the change.

Well it would appear that lots of people do want to make the change Financial Times

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 22:43

I was wondering whether I might pick one up in the US in a month or two (£400 ish). But I am confused - can it/will it work on 4G on any of the current or proposed UK networks?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 20/09/2012 22:58

Can you still get a Youtube app? I was worried you couldn't anymore - our 3 yr old goes straight for it on the iPad!

There's a YouTube app in the app store (free). I've just downloaded it and it seems better than the stock Apple one.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 00:26

Originally Posted By: ali_hire

There's a YouTube app in the app store (free). I've just downloaded it and it seems better than the stock Apple one.

Great - IOS 6 would have been ruled out if not

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 16:25

TFL advice to iOS6 users smile

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 16:29

Excellent, and properly spelt, too!

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 18:47

I must say, I'm now reluctant to install iOS6 until Google Maps is available as an app, even though you can still use it through Safari...

Just loaded ios6 on the iPad and first impression of Apple's map is poor

3 of my recently successful Google searches returned nothing on new maps and Inverness High School produced 2 results - both in US! Not impressed. Until it gets better I think the iPhone will stay on 5

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 19:12

So results for

Brands Hatch - no result
Goodwood - Goodwood joinery in Scotland
Donington - satellite pic half circuit hi res the other half rubbish
Mallory Park - 2 Mallory Park Northern Ireland
Carn Mor Culbokie - my street address - no result

Others Edinburgh Waverley - everything but the railway station

At the moment, I'm struggling to find something it gets right

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 19:14

Tried 'Cupertino'?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 19:27

My Iphone5 32gig will be here tomorrow. laugh So anyone looking for a good condition Iphone4, mine will be for sale.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 20:26

Picked up my 5 at the store today. The first thing that struck me is how incredibly light it is, much nicer to handle than my 4s. Other than that its largely the same, screen is a bit bigger yes, but that just feels instantly right and how it should always have been.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 21/09/2012 21:06

Just bought an iPad 2 a few days ago..not really a lot different in the new os it seems. Very happy with the iPad though.. iPhone not for me though.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 03:38

All last night (Thursday) my colleague kept banging on about how his 5 would arrive this (Friday) morning. Well it did arrive but just four hours later it was back in it's jiffy bag and being sent back - it's broken ooo

Poor bloke has been taking some stick this evening hehe

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 10:40

I ended up in a cul-de-sac last night thanks to the cr*p map app - how do I put the new (to me) iPhone back to iOS5?

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 10:46

Doesn't look like you can - here's hoping Apple sort this out...perhaps charlie_croker can help wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 15:18

You can get 3rd party apps in the interim (some are free, I think)

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 19:23

The running joke has begun: The Amazing iOS 6

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 21:14

So I've had the phone for a little over 24 hours now and I thought I'd share my first impressions.

I wouldn't say I'm an Apple fanboy; I've never owned an Apple product other than the iPhone. That said, I've owned just about every iPhone since the first one so I'm undoubtedly a little biased.

The first thing that struck me was the fit and finish of the device. I know it shouldn't come as a surprise as Apple are big on this across their whole range of products but it really looks like they've gone to town on this phone.

It's light, noticeably so in the hand and pocket. I feared when I heard it was thinner and lighter that it would feel cheap and flimsy (something I think about the Samsung Galaxy S3 - a phone I otherwise admire). Gladly it doesn't. It's still the same well built, sturdy 4-5 inches of glass, plastic and metal and it feels expensive (it bloody well ought to).

One comment I do have is that the etched back panel seems like it will pick up scratches very easily. Given that the majority of phones will spend a lot of time being put down on their back on a variety of surfaces and I reckon that over time the back will end up looking scruffy.

The headphone jack is now on the bottom of the phone next to the speaker, charging connector, et al. I can't think of a reason what prompted them to do this other than to perhaps make the space management inside the phone work a bit better. It seems counter-intuitive to me at the moment but I haven't been out for a run or walk using the headphones yet so perhaps it won't be such a big deal. I'm going to have to buy a new armband for running anyway (due to the new size) so the hole for cable access will be in the right place.

Using this phone is quick and very slick. I came from a 4 (not 4S) so the jump in speed is huge for me. However, even comparing it my cousin's 4S last night side by side he was suitably impressed. There was a noticeable difference in how quickly the phone does basic tasks such as switching between screens or opening apps.

Although a lot of people think Siri is a bit of a toy and has no use I spend a fair amount of time in the car and today I've dictated texts, made a call and organised an appointment in the diary all while driving. I haven't played around with other things that Siri claims it can do yet but my early impressions of it are decent.
I'm not sure if it's been improved over the last version or if I just speak more clearly than others I've heard getting frustrated when it doesn't understand.

One annoying thing is that almost all of my apps do not fit the full screen at the moment as they were developed for the 4's screen size. I assume (hope) that the majority of these will be fixed in the coming weeks with updates (the developers have presumably only had a little over 24 hours with the device so far so I guess I should cut them some slack).

Maps. This is a big one and seemingly a source of huge embarrassment for Apple. They took the decision to ditch Google and develop their own and when you're taking that sort of risk (and you shamelessly self-promote the way only Apple can) it needs be better than great. It clearly isn't at the moment.
I've not used maps to navigate anywhere at the moment and apart from using 'flyover' on a couple of US cities I haven't really played around with the maps too much.

One thing I will say in Apple's defence is that although the content clearly needs a lot of work some of the ideas in the new maps app could be very good indeed.

I like the way that you can find local points of interest (restaurants, pubs, etc.) and that tapping on their icon brings up contact details, reviews and contact details. Obviously this is content dependent and there seems to be a hell of stuff in the wrong places, labelled incorrectly or missing but I think that if they can get the content sorted this could be a very handy feature.

Proper Sat Nav built in is also a huge plus. Again, they need to sort the content for it to work properly.

I don't like that omission of Google means that Street View is no longer available. I use this a fair bit at work and not having it is annoying. I expect there to be a Googlemaps app released pretty soon.

The camera seems great so far. I haven't been out and about to take any shots of anything interesting yet but the general quality of it seems very good and the Panorama feature is far superior to either of the apps I have previously tried (Photosynth and DMD Panorama). I haven't blown the panoramas that I've taken up to any larger size but on the phone's screen I cannot see where they've stitched the images together (perhaps it works differently and there's no stitching involved).

All in all I'm happy with the new phone. I effectively got it for nothing as the handset cost me £109 and I'll sell my old phone for far more than that. Yes there are problems with some of the software on it and a Samsung Galaxy S3 will probably do everything this phone does (and maybe more) for less money. But I still probably wouldn't have another phone.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 22/09/2012 23:47

Originally Posted By: ali_hire

I like the way that you can find local points of interest (restaurants, pubs, etc.) and that tapping on their icon brings up contact details, reviews and contact details. Obviously this is content dependent and there seems to be a hell of stuff in the wrong places, labelled incorrectly or missing but I think that if they can get the content sorted this could be a very handy feature.

It was looking for a pub-restaurant that ended me up in a cul de sac - albeit near it I think...I had to fire up the TomTom and then the place was shut for a refub, Apple didn't tell me that crazy

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 23/09/2012 08:37

Nor did tomtom i guess...

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 23/09/2012 09:03

Considering that Apple just seem to have bought some old Tom-Tom maps which appear to be upto 5 years out of date (going by some people's discoveries), i'm not suprised you didnt have much luck.

I'd also take a wild guess and say that they bought a bundle a geolocation data and just uploaded it without doing any extensive testing. This would be why alot of the locations on their maps are all out of place and other places show up multiple times .

If this was a technology problem (ie the program was flawed), then it would be a relatively easy fix. The fact that it is a content problem is what is really going to cause Apple headaches. We're not talking about a small database here!

The only reason that Google Maps is a detailed as it is today is becuase it's effectively open-source. Anyone can go in and place a geolocation marker for their own business, build a 3d model of their house and upload it, add in contact details and a business card etc, hell they'll even show you how to build your own 'street view' pack so you can record footpaths/golf courses etc.

It has been like this for several years aswell.

Apple's "walled garden" approach to software design will really be put to the sword trying to fix this and then compete with google maps over the next year or two. Whereas Google maps will continually evolve and be up-to-date thanks to the 1000's of people updating their own details, Apple will be relying on Tom-Tom and other 3rd party companies to not only keep their information up-to-date, but to also innovate to keep their feature set appealing.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 23/09/2012 18:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=player_embedded

How do you like the new iphone?

Stolen from my brothers facebook lol

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 25/09/2012 07:59

click to enlarge

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 25/09/2012 10:02

It seems the new cable adapter gets wedged into standard USB sockets... something about a minute change in the latch.

Re: "New iPhone" launch - 25/09/2012 21:20

I know it's been done before, but this still made me laugh link

BTW, I am very very happy with mine, the maps is not an issue for me (although the 3d view of major cities is stunning). I have always used CoPilot GPS for navigating on iOS...

I think apple dropped the ball with Maps, but hell the rest of the phone is so right, two work colleagues have each bought one after using mine.

What apple have got right and it's not been really picked up on yet, is the integration between iOS6 and Mountain Lion.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK