Fiat Coupe Club UK

a loss on power

Posted By: Anonymous

a loss on power - 07/11/2012 10:56

this is a general query:
after watchin top gear where they had a renault (people carrier thing) 3.0 v6 210bhp from standard. They had to modify it to try and get as close to an evo's track figure.
Anyway after spending £££'s on other stuff they then decided to remap it. The shocking power for a 6 year old car was down to 157bhp,and the remap only managed 206bhp.
that is quite some loss ooo confused
Posted By: bockers

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 10:58

A indicative of something else wrong with the engine I would say. Power loss with time on a well maintained engine should be negligable.

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 11:01

they thought that and so did i,surely thats not right? maybe the mobile roller was out?
the car was top of the range model,single exhaust both sides and fully loaded kit etc i thought maybe 200 was expected but down to 157 was shocking
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 11:04

Possibly a rather over-optimistic figure from Renault in the first place.

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 11:07

would huge ap racing calipers and bigger disc brake upgrade and 18" alloys have anythin to do that?
they added those and suspension before thinking of more power

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 11:59

Not quite sure what your saying Mickey. Adding calipers, discs and alloys will not affect the power output at the flywheel. Adding lots of weight to the drivetrain will lower the power at the wheels (as you've got more to turn), but I think its unlikely to have added that much. Plus Top Gear are unlikely to get bhp @ flywheel or @ wheels mixed up.
Posted By: Paul_V

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 13:06

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Possibly a rather over-optimistic figure from Renault in the first place.

Exactly right.

I have a Clio 182 and they never make book power. I imagine it's the same with the other vehicles in Renault's range.

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 17:31

Thick oil, crap plugs, dirty air filter good way to loose a good few ponys. Plus the above over rating by Renault...
Increasing the disc size would have been negligable as would any additional weight for the wheels.

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 19:36

Also, with a Renault caravan who cares.... you aren't going to be able to use 210 ponies properly with wife/mistress, two kids, grandparents and a labrador flying around inside hurl
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 21:31

Originally Posted By: bockers
A indicative of something else wrong with the engine I would say. Power loss with time on a well maintained engine should be negligable.

Or be even higher. I once read a WV / Audi magazine article on the golf 16v. They took two ten year old golfs, one with less than 20,000 miles and one with well over 100,000 miles. The high milage motor out performed the low milage one. The real shock was that it even acheived better figures than the original factory specs.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 21:50

Not a surprise, I would have said, if it's well maintained? By 100k miles, it should be nicely run in, all the rough spots worn smooth, bearings running free, and so on.

Re: a loss on power - 07/11/2012 22:45

Most manufacturers Bhp figures on normally aspirated cars are short of there actual Bhp.
I used to be on the pug owners forums and the 206gti 180bhp models were actually getting closer to 140bhp which isn't too far off the stock gti model.

With the invention of flash memory ecu's some recalls actually de tune engines if there's several reports of failure or issues with emissions.

I was one of the technicians who did this on the 180bhp pugs as they were experiencing crank failures.

Also the st200 mondeos were another car to get consistently poor performance on the rollers.

I think the most accurate figures though came from the renaultsport range where the clios and meganes typically reach within 5-10bhp less than there production figure which is about right.

When I worked for Renault I was unfortunate enough to drive one of those things and gutless isn't the word.
Heavy car though with horrendous styling inside and out.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK